Author Topic: Doctor Who  (Read 216621 times)

Offline Space Invader

• The Canadian Doctor Who Fanatic
  • DTF.org Member
  • Also recently addicted to Survivor
Re: Doctor Who
« Reply #350 on: February 23, 2011, 11:34:22 AM »
I'm always good to analyze the Doctor. Best TV show airing, IMO. I always try to convince more Canadians to watch it.

Edit: You know what, I'm going to change my avatar in celebration of the new season fast approaching.
Everything can, should and will be progressive.

"The only thing that is certain is that nothing is certain" - Montaigne.

I'm going to need a SWAT team ready to mobilize, street over maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammie Dodgers and a Fez - Eleventh Doctor

Offline robwebster

« Reply #351 on: February 23, 2011, 11:41:06 AM »
Edit: You know what, I'm going to change my avatar in celebration of the new season fast approaching.
Ooh! Be an alien one! It'll match your name!

Offline Space Invader

• DTF.org Member

I'm going to need a SWAT team ready to mobilize, street over maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammie Dodgers and a Fez - Eleventh Doctor

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #353 on: February 23, 2011, 11:47:01 AM »
Yeah, I could tell its not hard sci-fi, I wasn't expecting THAT.  I would've liked an explanation of how hooking yourself up to the psychic/hypnosis satellite network, combined with everyone thinking your name makes you young and super powerful?  Not enough of an explanation, but maybe I'm too used to Star Trek.

Don't get me wrong brits, I'm enjoying it a lot!

EDIT: just got Season 5.  Jesus, does the Doctor have a superpower that makes anything with a vagina eager to jump his 907-year-old bone?
Ha! I never caught that.

I think showing them the universe has that effect.

Mind you - Karen Gillan isn't just anything with a vagina. How's it all been going? Which episodes have you caught now?

I've seen all the episodes of the reboot.  I was very glad to see Billie Piper leave.  Rose got on my nerves quite a bit throughout the series.  Season 4 was definitely the best of the David Tennant years.  No bad episodes, IMO, and Donna was a great companion.  Plus it was refreshing that the doctor could have one companion that didn't want to do him.  I've been reading up on the new season coming up.  Very excited to see the Silence and Neil Gaiman pop up.  I really hope we get a bit more info on River.

I'd also like to see the Daleks and Weeping Angels take a bit of a rest this season.  I mean, yeah, Daleks are iconic and all that, but having them show up every season (and typically in the finale) is practically expected at this point, though it was cool in the Big Bang where it was just one Dalek giving them trouble instead of an army again.  Made them scarier.  

I'll also join the crowd in saying that Matt Smith is the only doctor for me.  David Tennant was great, and he was the first doctor I really saw in action, but Matt really pulls off this sort of super-curiosity with such a youthful spirit, and then turns into your grandad giving you sage advice.  Plus, he has a bowtie.  Bowties are cool.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #354 on: February 23, 2011, 01:35:48 PM »
Oh man, so much to respond to. :lol

I can't beleive I forgot about Captain Jack  :facepalm: I love him, so funny and such a great character. Although I watched the first half of Torchwood season 1 and wasn't really all that impressed.
Yeah, the first episode is great but after that the first series is weak, but it does start to pick up towards the end. The second series is an absolute romp, terrific fun and starts taking itself less seriously. Third (mini-) series is more serious again, but genuinely good. I recommend catching up.

And you're right about holding off on the Weeping Angels. Part of what made them to creepy the first and second time around is that you had NO IDEA what could happen, since they were so mysterious. They were scary, powerful and brilliantly executed, but if they keep using them than they will lose that punch. Plus, the writers would keep having to think of really contrived reasons to bring them back (much like the Daleks are now). I saw keep them in pocket for a little while, let them fade from memory a bit, then WHAM, just when we least expect it, spring them on us.
I'd also like to see the Daleks and Weeping Angels take a bit of a rest this season.  I mean, yeah, Daleks are iconic and all that, but having them show up every season (and typically in the finale) is practically expected at this point, though it was cool in the Big Bang where it was just one Dalek giving them trouble instead of an army again.  Made them scarier.
Yeah the daleks tend to be brought back for fun more than anything else these days, which is fine; it's a family show so we need some fun episodes mixed in with the more serious/epic ones. I guess there was a dalek in the finale of Series 5 but it wasn't the villain at all, was more of a tangential character. RTD overused them a bit maybe, particularly in the finales, but Moffat seems a little more sparing with them, which is good. And yeah like I said, apparently no returning monsters in Series 6.

On the note of recurring characters, possibly my least favorite character in the entire modern re-boot has got to be Mickey. He's got no reason to be there, especially in the End of Time when he and Martha are married. Or was that an alternate dimension? I don't remember.
I found Mickey pretty annoying at the start but he ends up being pretty good, especially in the second season. And yeah, he ends up marrying Martha, but that wasn't a major plot point, it was just to tie up the stories as those specials were the end of an era for both Tennant and RTD.

As for the Ood, they were well done in the Impossible Planet, but the more we saw of them the more I thought they were being shoehorned into different roles for which they we'rent really suited. But if they pull it off as well as you hope they will in series 6, it could work.
I like the Ood a lot, and we've only seen them a total of, what, 3 times? I'd have no problem with them returning.

What I'm really excited for is the Gaiman episode. He's a master of the creepy and yet hilarious, a perfect fit for the Doctor. Can't wait to see what he's got written.
Gaiman is my favourite author and, like you say, PERFECT for Doctor Who. Absolutely cannot wait!

I'd also like to see Rory and Amy rise to the occasion. They're both great characters, and could have some really great moments. Since the Christmas Special was Doctor centric, I'd like to see at least one episode where Amy and Rory have a really heroic moment.
Yeah they are brilliant companions. They had some fantastic stuff in Series 5, but you're right about the special it was more focussed on the Doctor and also on the guest stars. I'm sure they'll be utilised well once the regular series starts up again.

Incidentally, have either of you seen www.markwatches.net ? I don't generally follow blogs, but he's been going from the very beginning with no spoilers whatsoever, and he reports back after each episode, which he watches each weekday. He totally gets Doctor Who, it's an absolute joy. He's up to the Sontaran Stratagem, now, and he was surprised enough when Martha showed up. The Stolen Earth is going to turn his brains to mush. He doesn't even know when David regenerates! Can't wait for him to get to that bit.
Hadn't seen that blog, might check it out at some point!

I've been reading up on the new season coming up.  Very excited to see the Silence and Neil Gaiman pop up.  I really hope we get a bit more info on River.
Again agreed about Gaiman, and I'm fairly sure we're going to find out about the Silence and also who the hell River is. If they do it well it could be a really amazing series!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Bonham

• Either Zeppelin's drummer or "good ham"
« Reply #355 on: February 23, 2011, 04:41:38 PM »
Oh man, so much to respond to. :lol

I can't beleive I forgot about Captain Jack  :facepalm: I love him, so funny and such a great character. Although I watched the first half of Torchwood season 1 and wasn't really all that impressed.
Yeah, the first episode is great but after that the first series is weak, but it does start to pick up towards the end. The second series is an absolute romp, terrific fun and starts taking itself less seriously. Third (mini-) series is more serious again, but genuinely good. I recommend catching up.

Torchwood had an excellent second season, although I was sad to see Owen go. I watched CoE just two weeks ago and still have no idea what the fuck to think of it.

No doubt it was really well written, but in some places, you get the feeling RTD was just piling horribly depressing scene on top of horribly depressing scene, just to say that he'd done something never done before. Days Three through Five are pretty much the only episodes of any show I've watched that are riveting, well written, emotional, and also suck. Because I got no enjoyment out of watching them whatsoever.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #356 on: February 24, 2011, 05:15:04 AM »
Yeah the second half of it was maybe not "enjoyable" as such (and one particular controversial thing did seem like it was done just for the sake of being dramatic and surprising) but it was still exciting and very well done!

I be am boner inducing.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #357 on: March 19, 2011, 06:06:40 PM »
Anyone else catch the Comic Relief specials?

Part 1 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51JtuEa_OPc
Part 2 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkmiefoRcfU

:D

Amy Pond flirting with herself. :heart

I be am boner inducing.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #358 on: March 19, 2011, 06:32:03 PM »
 :lol :lol :lol Those were great!

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #359 on: March 20, 2011, 03:26:06 AM »
New series starts in a month! :o

I be am boner inducing.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #360 on: March 20, 2011, 05:09:10 AM »
I cannot wait.

Also, we should be getting a preview for The Impossible Astronaut sooner still. Not a trailer or anything... a specially filmed scene. Featuring the resident aliens! Score almighty.

This is also, incidentally, my cue to stop reading what Doctor Who fans have to say on the internet. Not you guys - career Doctor Who fans. DW fans on the internet are total dickheads, and I say that as one myself. Don't really fancy reading people chanting "Moffat must go!" after every episode. Not when I could read something that cost someone a brain-cell or two to write.

Although, the high-strung ones are just as bad as the dunces. If not worse. Ohhhh, you should see the reaction to Space & Time. All abluster with cries of "objectification figure" and "Moffat is turning Doctor Who into a sitcom" - not to mention the occasional "slut." (Funnily enough, no-one bats an eyelid when Captain Jack behaves similarly... although, can't say I'm entirely surprised by some Doctor Who fans finding sexually confident women intimidating.) Fucking mayhem, it is.

Ooh, or my favourite, "looks like he can just solve everything through time travel, rendering the whole concept of the show pointless." Someone said they may as well have a future Doctor appear at the start of Episode 1 and say "Right, this is how you're going to solve everything." As though having fun with the concept of time travel in a time travel show were some kind of cardinal sin. And as though it were devoid of dramatic gravity, at that. The entire concept of A Christmas Carol is that of using time travel to save people's lives, and it wasn't a cake walk for a second.

See! This is how much Doctor Who fans infuriate me. Genuinely can't stand them. As soon as the series relaunches I'm away.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #361 on: March 20, 2011, 05:22:25 AM »
Can't say I've noticed anything like that - it's probably just a vocal minority that you're coming across because pretty much everyone I know (new fans and old alike) are loving the current series! I shouldn't worry too much Rob, there are fans like that about EVERYTHING that is popular. Just don't go to sites that are full of them!

Also, I think the monsters in The Impossible Astronaut might be The Silence...! :o

I be am boner inducing.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #362 on: March 20, 2011, 05:54:46 AM »
Oh naturally. Precisely. Tiny minority, but very frustrating. Can't be arsed with the bilge. I always avoid sites like that when a series broadcasts - just went on a tangent there.

And yes! The Silence! They will fall. And are reportedly worse than the Weeping Angels. Ooooh it's gonna be a good six weeks.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #363 on: March 20, 2011, 06:00:17 AM »
I thought it was seven weeks, and then six in the second half?

I be am boner inducing.

Kosmo

« Reply #364 on: March 20, 2011, 06:23:47 AM »
I'm interested in this show, should i just start watching from the first episode onwards because as to my understanding the show isn't really all that linear so i could basically pick a season and a specific doctor, what do you guys recommend?

Offline robwebster

« Reply #365 on: March 20, 2011, 06:36:15 AM »
I think the perfect starting point is The Eleventh Hour.

Not only is it quite recent (and therefore they've sort of ironed out all of the kinks), but it was specifically designed to be a jumping on point for new viewers. Brand new Doctor, brand new companion, brand new head writer - the story starts anew. It introduces all the important concepts - regeneration, time travel, the TARDIS and the sonic screwdriver - has a pretty cool storyline, and most crucial of all... it's fantastic. One of my favourite episodes. Such a big wallop. Usually, a first episode is hampered by being a little on the primordial side. Rose (S1E1) is a pretty good example of this - good ep, but not sterling. TEH hits the ground running.

No continuity to worry about, no on-going storylines, all new and all fantastic. The Eleventh Hour is a rebirth. They even toyed with calling it "Series 1" for a while.

EDIT: Ack, just watched the pre-titles and got goosebumps. Such a fun episode. Yes, definitely start with The Eleventh Hour.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 06:41:27 AM by robwebster »

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #366 on: March 20, 2011, 07:28:16 AM »
Speaking from experience, the fifth season is a great starting point.  I really like how the only things they brought over from the RTD series were River Song (who Moffat created) and the occasional reference to the events of the Dalek invasion, which kinda confused me, as I had no idea that humans had already had loads of contact with alien life by 2010 in the DW universe. 

Also, Rob, who the hell wants Moffat to leave!  Sure, I feel like the "Terminator Paradox" way of doing things with time travel is starting to get a bit stale, but every episode in the fifth season is gold, regardless! 

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #367 on: March 20, 2011, 07:29:13 AM »
Yeah, but it's Doctor Who, it's about time travel, THE WHOLE SHOW IS ONE BIG PARADOX. It doesn't have to make sense to be enjoyable and exciting. :lol Those people are sillies.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #368 on: March 20, 2011, 08:16:16 AM »
Seven episodes. Seven Saturdays. Which works out as six weeks, counting from the moment Ep. 1 begins to the second Ep. 7 ends.

Yeah, but it's Doctor Who, it's about time travel, THE WHOLE SHOW IS ONE BIG PARADOX. It doesn't have to make sense to be enjoyable and exciting. :lol Those people are sillies.
Agreed! I slightly adore how the time travel's becoming more pronounced. But no matter what you change, someone's gonna hate it.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #369 on: March 20, 2011, 08:17:13 AM »
The wibbly lever!

Ohhhhh, I love this show. :D
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #370 on: March 20, 2011, 11:14:12 AM »
Seven episodes. Seven Saturdays. Which works out as six weeks, counting from the moment Ep. 1 begins to the second Ep. 7 ends.
Oh you and your common sense.

The wibbly lever!

Ohhhhh, I love this show. :D
:D

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Bonham

• Either Zeppelin's drummer or "good ham"
« Reply #371 on: March 20, 2011, 12:43:16 PM »
Oh naturally. Precisely. Tiny minority, but very frustrating. Can't be arsed with the bilge. I always avoid sites like that when a series broadcasts - just went on a tangent there.

And yes! The Silence! They will fall. And are reportedly worse than the Weeping Angels. Ooooh it's gonna be a good six weeks.
Yes... I also think/talk like Matt Smith's Doctor for the few minutes immediately after watching a show  :lol

I've noticed that pattern with pretentious Doctor Who fans as well; they always seem to overanalyze everything, forgetting to enjoy themselves while they complain about time paradoxes and how lame whichever writer on-set happens to be. But if you look at the polls of the forums they frequent (I joined one the other day), the "ratings" for good shows are often overwhelmingly in the 9's and 10's, even though the threads themselves are filled with whining, bitchy old fans.

It's just that the annoying minority is louder.

Offline Space Invader

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #372 on: March 20, 2011, 01:06:14 PM »
Part of what (for me) makes Doctor Who such a joy is the fact that IT IS silly and funny and ridiculous and if you think too hard about it you're missing the point. It's not about the nuances or the complexities, it's about the thrill ride, the joy and the madness. That's why Matt is such a brilliant Doctor: you never know what trick he's going to pull out, or what joke he might crack.

Also, those two specially are hilarious.

Ohhhhhh yes....... :D

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
« Reply #373 on: March 23, 2011, 05:57:08 PM »
Part of what (for me) makes Doctor Who such a joy is the fact that IT IS silly and funny and ridiculous and if you think too hard about it you're missing the point. It's not about the nuances or the complexities, it's about the thrill ride, the joy and the madness. That's why Matt is such a brilliant Doctor: you never know what trick he's going to pull out, or what joke he might crack.

Also, those two specially are hilarious.

Ohhhhhh yes....... :D

Exactly, to take the show too seriously is to miss the point of it completley.
I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

Offline Space Invader

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #374 on: March 24, 2011, 04:38:54 PM »
THIS SHIRT. I MUST HAVE IT.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #375 on: March 24, 2011, 04:54:34 PM »
:caffeine:

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #376 on: March 24, 2011, 05:07:28 PM »

I be am boner inducing.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #377 on: March 25, 2011, 06:51:47 PM »
The Impossible Astronaut

Oh, and does anyone fancy a two minute specially filmed short prequel, featuring that magician fella out of Jonathan Creek being Richard Nixon, and that fella who writes Doctor Who being as fucking terrifying as ever?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekzglkLEJFI

While you're at it, if you're not done being thoroughly haunted, check this out...

https://www.denofgeek.com/television/824315/why_you_should_watch_the_doctor_who_series_6_teaser_closely.html

Refers to a different teaser, but still cool.

Ohhhh, and today I have heard a rumour that they're considering showing Pt. 1 and Pt. 2 of the opening story on consecutive days. Easter Sat and Easter Sun. I say rumour, it's on the CV of one of the actors from part 2. Only a minor role, though, so who knows how accurate that is. I like it as an idea, though. Very exciting times.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #378 on: March 25, 2011, 08:12:09 PM »
:caffeine:
x100
x1000000000

EDIT: Just watched it again. FUCKING TERRIFYING!

Seriously cannot wait for this new series.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 08:20:34 PM by ariich »

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Space Invader

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #379 on: March 28, 2011, 08:25:23 PM »
I just had flashes of how terrifying I found the kid in the Empty Child. Shit is creepy as hell.

OH GOD IT MAKES ME EXCITED.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #380 on: March 28, 2011, 08:28:25 PM »
Speaking of the Empty Child, did anyone find the reference to that episode in "the Sontaran Strategem" to be absolutely brilliant?  :lol

Offline Space Invader

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #381 on: March 28, 2011, 08:30:04 PM »
Speaking of the Empty Child, did anyone find the reference to that episode in "the Sontaran Strategem" to be absolutely brilliant?  :lol

I lol'd. A lot. The best part is that it happened and then was gone, with no acknowledgement from any of the characters really. Almost like an easter egg. Brilliant.

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #382 on: March 30, 2011, 10:59:36 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vIsQ25Krq8&feature=player_embedded#at=18

New trailer! Looks fooking fantastic! Saturday 23 April

Offline Space Invader

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #383 on: March 30, 2011, 11:23:33 AM »

Offline robwebster

« Reply #384 on: March 30, 2011, 01:03:53 PM »
Pause at about 0:37.

See if you recognise whose TARDIS that is...