Author Topic: Doctor Who  (Read 216604 times)

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: Doctor Who
« Reply #280 on: August 10, 2010, 02:11:32 PM »
:hat

Yeah Beast Below in awesome, one of my favourites from series 5 along with Van Gogh.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #281 on: August 20, 2010, 04:27:33 PM »

nice teeshirt.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #282 on: August 23, 2010, 10:48:19 AM »
That is pretty damn cool. Where is that from?

Also, news about the 4th Torchwood series:

https://www.digitalspy.co.uk/cult/s8/torchwood/news/a258410/davies-reveals-torchwood-the-new-world.html

Plus, RTD has confirmed that Rhys will have an increased role, hell yeah! - https://www.digitalspy.co.uk/cult/s8/torchwood/news/a259284/davies-rhys-important-to-torchwood.html

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #283 on: September 03, 2010, 03:48:40 AM »
News about Series 6, it's going to be split into two halves, starting at Easter like usual but then breaking on a cliffhanger until autumn! :o

https://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/dw/news/bulletin_100902_01

I be am boner inducing.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #284 on: September 03, 2010, 09:57:45 AM »
Aha! Shocker!

What do you reckon to the news? I'm surprised by how much I like the idea.

A midseries break had been suggested in the past (on ming-mong fanboards) and I'd kinda gone "...hahaha, no." But when I read about it, I actually found myself psyched. How you actually react to some things is apparently completely detached to how you expect to react.

I think it's great, though. Two series openers! Two finales! A brilliant cliffhanger! Episodes in the Autumn when it gets dark sooner and you get to watch it with the streetlights on!

I don't really think of the series as having much filler... but every single week will be nigh-on unmissable. There's a point towards the middle where a new episode isn't so much of an event, as another brilliant episode. When you get into the rhythm of it. And I like that, I love thinking "I'm in the middle of a series of Doctor Who." But, the event episodes are the ones you look forward to. I remember Vampires of Venice was the first of the series I wasn't particularly psyched about, and now that'll be leading into a first series finale.

I like how he's referring to it as two separate series, as well. He's right. They do produce two series' worth of material. Why not capitalise on that and produce two series? It's great! Plus, he's right inasmuch as the wait between the series is agonising. I've always lamented that wait a bit. After any series finale, I'm already psyched for the next series - which won't come till March. That's like looking forwards to Christmas in February! It's massive. Doctor Who all year round is A Good Thing. Doubling the events is A Good Thing.

Plus... could get Torchwood in the middle! That's exciting. If they're plotting but not casting, it could well be ready for broadcast between the end of series 6, start of series 7.

Ashes to Ashes never felt short. These series are only one or two episodes shy of their series totals. Looking forwards to this so much more than I thought I was going to. Actually, I was horrified by the idea when fans came up with it. Maybe I'm just a stupid drooling fanboy! Or maybe I inherently distrust fans who think they can run the show better than the production team.

Either way, very optimistic.

Course, the negative aspects...

Less Doctor Who in one chunk. I'm a greedy bastard, it'll be hell knowing I have to stave off dessert. And they'll have set all the pins up for the seventh series, too. I will definitely notice that it's shorter.

But, worse of all, much easier to get spoiled. They're producing it as one chunk, aren't they? That means that they'll be filming... well over half a year in advance! That's a massive window of opportunity for info to leak. Too long!

Mind you, the extra production time may mean that they get a lot more time to finish up the SFX and make it all look beautiful. They already do wonders on a BBC budget, and while having to do TWO finales will stretch that further, the time's gotta be handy.

Also, it'll be interesting to have a different flow. Series 1-5 all had roughly similar rhythms. The experimental ones towards the end (Human Nature, Vincent and the Doctor, Turn Left, Love & Monsters, etc.), the two-parter a few weeks in... it'd be nice if series 7 in the autumn opened with a two-parter. That's where it traditionally fits into the pattern of the series. 8/9 two-parter, 10 and 11 a bit odd, 12/13 two-parter. That'd be grand.

...I'm an opinionated man.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #285 on: September 03, 2010, 11:45:18 AM »
My understanding is that it will still be one series (i.e. Series 6) but broadcast in two chunks. Which I think is a great idea, definitely makes it more of a spectacle, and spreads DW throughout the year! It's been ages since we've had any and we've still got another nearly 4 months to go!

Although I disagree that DW is two series worth of material, to me the current BBC drama staple of 13 45-minute episodes (DW, Torchwood, Merlin, etc) is a perfect series length, and is half of what American networks would call a series. Something like Children of Earth or Sherlock is what I'd call a mini-series.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #286 on: September 03, 2010, 01:40:46 PM »
My understanding is that it will still be one series (i.e. Series 6) but broadcast in two chunks. Which I think is a great idea, definitely makes it more of a spectacle, and spreads DW throughout the year! It's been ages since we've had any and we've still got another nearly 4 months to go!
I think you're probably right, productionwise. Possibly advertising-wise, too. Dunno if you've watched the video of the Doctor Who Masterclass from the Edinburgh Festival, where it was announced, though, but Moffzilla referred to it as "two separate series."

https://news.whoviannet.co.uk/2010/08/bbc-confirms-series-6-to-be-split-into-two-halves/

He continued: ”In order to give you time to recover, we’ll let you go off, have your summer holidays, then come back in the Autumn for another 6 episodes in what will be Series 7, I suppose. We’re not just splitting it, we’re making two separate series.”

I've got a hunch that you're probably right. That version's a little spin-soaked, and it sounds like he's making it up as he goes along, but there we go. It's gonna all be filmed as one run, anyway. It's all one continuous batch. I reckon it could go either way as to whether they'd refer to it as series 6 or series 7 in the runup. The Radio Times'll probably be advertising it as 1/7, 2/7, 3/7, I'd figure. For now I'm just going on what we've got. It'll probably all be in one box-set marked "Series Six" or what have you.

...The nomenclature's a bit irrelevant, though. What's important is that it'll be ace. :P

Dunno where I stand on BBC drama episode numbers. Anywhere from 6 - 13 is the norm, really. Ashes to Ashes and Life on Mars had full serieses of 8. Hustle has full serieses of 6. Jonathan Creek only ever had six per series. Extras, Fawlty Towers... I do consider six to a be full series. A short one, but I'd say the thirteen ones are poss slightly less common. Merlin, Torchwood and Doctor Who are the only ones I can think of, though they're all fairly current, so hey! Thirteen is more common for panel and reality shows. Mock the Week, The Apprentice, etc.

Again, though. I don't care about the terminology. Bah! Call it a squid of Doctor Who. A really, really long squid, 'cause most of 'em don't have more than two episodes.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 01:46:34 PM by robwebster »

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #287 on: September 03, 2010, 02:59:40 PM »
Yes but Merlin, DW and Torchwood have 45 minute episodes, while Life on Mars and Ashes to Ashes had hour-long episodes. :P

Interesting stuff on the first point though, I wonder if they will indeed officially make it two short series or it was just Moffatt blabbering on as he tends to do. :lol

I be am boner inducing.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #288 on: September 03, 2010, 04:13:45 PM »
Bah! It's such a nonspecific measure. At the end of it, there've been shorter series. And we're getting two of 'em. Brilliant.

I often get the idea he's making it up as he goes along. He didn't sound like he'd planned it. I only stuck with it 'cause I like the idea, really. I prefer to think of 'em as twin-series, and I've got the showrunner's blessing, so that's how I'm happy with it. I imagine it'll be promoted as two different series, but most fans will refer to it as a series with a split in the middle. Like how Futurama was never broadcast in the same chunks as it was produced in.

Offline Space Invader

• The Canadian Doctor Who Fanatic
  • DTF.org Member
  • Also recently addicted to Survivor
« Reply #289 on: September 25, 2010, 09:01:28 PM »
Hello fellow Doctor Fans.

Just popped in to say I watched the entire series (2005-Present) in about the space of a month, and now I am literally shaking with excitement for series 6.

Just thought I'd make my fandom known.
Everything can, should and will be progressive.

"The only thing that is certain is that nothing is certain" - Montaigne.

I'm going to need a SWAT team ready to mobilize, street over maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammie Dodgers and a Fez - Eleventh Doctor

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
  • I probably don't like you
« Reply #290 on: September 26, 2010, 12:36:35 AM »
Just started Season 2. I'm slow, I know.
Season 1 was awesome, and Eccleston is a truly underrated doctor.
NEW REVIEW: Lady Gaga - Born This Way
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=25343.0

Setra, I think that is the best statement I have read on this forum.  Very well said.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #291 on: September 26, 2010, 04:43:41 AM »
Hello fellow Doctor Fans.

Just popped in to say I watched the entire series (2005-Present) in about the space of a month, and now I am literally shaking with excitement for series 6.

Just thought I'd make my fandom known.

Brilliant! Oh good times. What were your favourite bits? Favourite companion, favourite Doctor, favourite episodes?

LOVE the bit where someone gets into Doctor Who.
Just started Season 2. I'm slow, I know.
Season 1 was awesome, and Eccleston is a truly underrated doctor.
It only gets better from here on out.  :biggrin: 1 and 2 are on about the same level, but then 3... oh, it's a steep climb. I myself don't tend to watch the first two series nearly as much as the later three, much as I loved them on first broadcast. I think I'd have to pinpoint Human Nature as the moment the series stopped being "amazing" and started being "fucking amazing." In my opinion, natch! For a lot of people, series 1 is their favourite. Either way you've got a fun ride ahead. Bit of a rollercoaster.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #292 on: September 26, 2010, 11:16:40 AM »
Series 3 and 5 are just amazing, and the others are all really great as well! Extremely excited about 6!

YAY NEW DW FANS. :D

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Space Invader

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #293 on: September 26, 2010, 01:01:18 PM »
Brilliant! Oh good times. What were your favourite bits? Favourite companion, favourite Doctor, favourite episodes?

My favorite episodes (generally speaking) were the historical ones, with one of the high points being the Shakespeare episode.

Favorite Episodes: Dalek, Tooth and Claw, The Girl in the Fireplace, Army of Ghosts/Doomsday, Shakespeare Code, Blink, Time Crash (that little special with The Fifth Doctor), The Doctor's Daughter, The Next Doctor, The Time of Angels/Flesh and Stone, Vincent and the Doctor, The Lodger, The Pandorica Opens/The Big Bang.

Favorite Doctor: Tennant, but if Smith keeps it up the way he's been going, he will become my favorite. Bow ties forever.

Favorite Companion: Rose and Amy in a tie. No question. Hated Donna with a fiery passion.

Favorite Bits: Any scene with Captain Jack (watching Torchwood now), regeneration scenes (so epic), and these: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvWYw0CnuSI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIfgIgispS4&feature=related

I'm going to need a SWAT team ready to mobilize, street over maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammie Dodgers and a Fez - Eleventh Doctor

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #294 on: September 26, 2010, 01:06:06 PM »
Favorite Companion: Rose and Amy in a tie. No question. Hated Donna with a fiery passion.
WAT? Donna is amazing. Probably not my favourite, but definitely the funniest and the best actress of the lot.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Space Invader

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #295 on: September 26, 2010, 01:10:11 PM »
WAT? Donna is amazing. Probably not my favourite, but definitely the funniest and the best actress of the lot.

I dunno, I never found her to be quite as engaging as the others. Just a personal opinion though.
In order I would rank: 5, 2, 1, 3, 4.

You guys may disagree, but that's just me, working from memory from a little while ago.

Also:
I think I'd have to pinpoint Human Nature as the moment the series stopped being "amazing" and started being "fucking amazing."

This made me remeber that that last seuqence, where the Doctor SPOILERS FOR SETRA has to give up his humanity and he's sobbing and confused. That was probably the most tremendous bit of acting I have seen in a television show, and cemented Tennant as my favorite. I was so impressed.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #296 on: September 26, 2010, 06:09:41 PM »
This made me remeber that that last seuqence, where the Doctor SPOILERS FOR SETRA has to give up his humanity and he's sobbing and confused. That was probably the most tremendous bit of acting I have seen in a television show, and cemented Tennant as my favorite. I was so impressed.
I've had three years of repeats and DVD rewatches to get used to it, so I sometimes take his mindblowingly brilliant performance in that episode for granted. To my shame! The entire two-parter is so brilliantly constructed - so tense and mindbending and wonderful and so thoroughly different to anything else in the whole series - but that's far and away the highlight scene.

I love the bit where the Doctor crosses the moral event horizon in The Waters of Mars, too. Not quite in the same league, but that boundary between triumph and madness is so subtly trodden. It'd be so easy to read those lines as if it were a victory, especially given how close it is to his usual modus operandi, but there's just that horrible discomfort throughout the whole scene where you gradually realise that he's crossed the line. And then that stunning payoff outside the TARDIS... oh, what a brilliant episode. Matt Smith is an absolutely extraordinary actor, and I was "over" David Tennant the very second MS appeared on screen, but I'm so glad I've taken a time out to remind myself how absolutely stunning DT was. Surely one of the finest actors that will ever play the role. Thanks for that.

Offline Space Invader

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #297 on: September 26, 2010, 08:37:04 PM »
I've had three years of repeats and DVD rewatches to get used to it, so I sometimes take his mindblowingly brilliant performance in that episode for granted. To my shame! The entire two-parter is so brilliantly constructed - so tense and mindbending and wonderful and so thoroughly different to anything else in the whole series - but that's far and away the highlight scene.

I love the bit where the Doctor crosses the moral event horizon in The Waters of Mars, too. Not quite in the same league, but that boundary between triumph and madness is so subtly trodden. It'd be so easy to read those lines as if it were a victory, especially given how close it is to his usual modus operandi, but there's just that horrible discomfort throughout the whole scene where you gradually realise that he's crossed the line. And then that stunning payoff outside the TARDIS... oh, what a brilliant episode. Matt Smith is an absolutely extraordinary actor, and I was "over" David Tennant the very second MS appeared on screen, but I'm so glad I've taken a time out to remind myself how absolutely stunning DT was. Surely one of the finest actors that will ever play the role. Thanks for that.

Yeah. What I find most impressive about Matt when compared to David is how they both manged to be so old, and yet so naive and young at the same time, yet Matt brings that feeling in a completely different way. David brought that in a more fun and goofy sense, with the sharp jokes and his comedic timing juxtaposed against the more somber and powerful moments, when his Time Lord fury takes over him (the one that sticks in my mind is the revenge he takes on the Family of Blood, as well as against the Racknos). Matt is the opposite: long drawn out periods of anger or sullenness (such as his outburst or rage in the Beast Bellow) with bursts of spontaneous action and silly obsession (ie. the bow tie, but also the "Tell me your whole plan.....one day that will work" from Vampires in Venice). Both men bring a new dimension to the character, totally unique in their own way, yet make him feel complete when looked at as a whole. Genius.

As much as I admire the acting, I have to give a large share of the credit to the writers. Over the course of the series, the scrips have only been getting better, especially as they got more acquainted with the Tenth Doctor. They are witty, profound, fun, imaginative and wild and even at time strangely beautiful too (with some really great lines that stick in my head. "I don't want to go").

Doctor Who, along with the magnificent Sherlock series, have made me appreciate BBC to a whole new level.

You Brits sure know how to make good telly.   

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #298 on: November 21, 2010, 07:02:17 AM »
Two short trailers for the Christmas special:

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWT0PE9Yr3g - Turns out to be a fake one)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bEOrsJkijE

:caffeine:
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 08:16:08 AM by ariich »

I be am boner inducing.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #299 on: November 21, 2010, 07:46:47 AM »
The first one's not real! It's actually mainly publicity stills, animated so it looks like they're moving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k34NwSQrbiY&feature=related

Thought I recognised one of the shots of Matt Smith from a poster. Still brilliant. Actually, possibly all the more impressive for not featuring a second of real acting.

Still. Massively excited.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #300 on: November 21, 2010, 08:16:50 AM »
:lol D'oh, edited my post. But yeah, it looked like a pretty cool teaser trailer. Nice to have a real one now though, Michael Gambon looks badass in it.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline faemir

« Reply #301 on: November 21, 2010, 12:24:05 PM »
That was brilliantly done!

Offline robwebster

« Reply #302 on: November 21, 2010, 12:29:19 PM »
Am I going a bit mental, or in the real trailer, is Amy dressed as a policewoman-stripper and Rory dressed as a roman centurion?

...Fancy dress party, I suppose.

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
« Reply #303 on: November 21, 2010, 01:52:48 PM »
I saw Rory as a Centurion, I'll watch it again for Amy ( Like I need an excuse ::) )
I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

Offline Space Invader

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #304 on: November 21, 2010, 05:57:37 PM »
Wow, that is one extensive fake trailer.

I'm so excited. :caffeine:

Offline Algo Fonix

• The Generic Dr. Pepper
  • DT.net Member
  • Pretty tired
« Reply #305 on: November 21, 2010, 09:22:46 PM »
Holy crap, I'm excited for the special so much now. 

I think I'll re-watch series 5 to channel my excitement.

Offline Space Invader

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #306 on: November 21, 2010, 09:49:09 PM »
I think I'll re-watch series 5 to channel my excitement.

Beat ya to it.  :biggrin:

On my third watch now.

Offline faemir

« Reply #307 on: November 22, 2010, 05:42:55 AM »
Today's daily tshirt on https://www.teefury.com/

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #308 on: November 22, 2010, 03:51:48 PM »
That is awesome, aside from the fact that all we see of Hartnell is his butt. :sadpanda:

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #309 on: November 22, 2010, 08:21:16 PM »
You'd think they'd have no trouble all fitting in there, with the TARDIS being bigger on the inside and all. ;)
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #310 on: January 01, 2011, 05:40:56 PM »
Anyone else watch the Christmas special? I really enjoyed it, it was good fun, and very sweet. Definitely a return to the more traditional Christmas special, rather than the dark ones we had last year!

But best of all was the after-credits trailer for series 6. OH GOD! :caffeine:

I be am boner inducing.

Offline faemir

« Reply #311 on: January 01, 2011, 07:11:59 PM »
I love his little dark moments, like when he threatened dumbledore, but it was done subtly in a clever way - something you all too rarely got with tenant, and they were never pulled off with such subtlety.

Offline Space Invader

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #312 on: January 02, 2011, 09:17:12 PM »
Anyone else watch the Christmas special? I really enjoyed it, it was good fun, and very sweet. Definitely a return to the more traditional Christmas special, rather than the dark ones we had last year!

But best of all was the after-credits trailer for series 6. OH GOD! :caffeine:

NOOOOOOOOOO I HAVEN'T SEEN IT YET  :'(

I have it recorded on my TV at home and will likely be the first thing I do upon my return on Tuesday. I'm sure we will have much to discuss about the series 6 trailer.

Also, anyone else PUMPED to see the episode written by Neal Gaiman? He's a fabulous writer (one of my favorites), perfect fit for the Doctor. Can't wait.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #313 on: January 03, 2011, 03:22:19 AM »
Yeah, Gaiman is probably my favourite author, so I am seriously excited!

Get on with watching it so that we can talk about the trailer! :P

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Bonham

• Either Zeppelin's drummer or "good ham"
« Reply #314 on: January 03, 2011, 07:55:27 PM »
For anyone who hasnt seen the trailer for series 6 yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpe1Ywz8azM

Holy. Fucking. Shit.