Author Topic: Doctor Who  (Read 216510 times)

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
  • I probably don't like you
Re: Doctor Who
« Reply #245 on: June 21, 2010, 08:18:31 PM »
Aha, lush! Good man. Just cover your eyes on Saturday. The series 5 finale's airing, we'll probably be spaffing buckets.

Yeah, I dont think Ill be caught up that fast :P
NEW REVIEW: Lady Gaga - Born This Way
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=25343.0

Setra, I think that is the best statement I have read on this forum.  Very well said.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #246 on: June 22, 2010, 05:12:40 AM »
@Rob: Oh god, the end of Utopia is one the greatest moments in television history!

@Setra: Glad you're enjoying it so much! It defintely gets better and more slick, but generally the tone being a mix of fun, dark and epic is pretty consistent!

@Dan: Last time the autons were used was the first episode of the reboot, Rose, back in 2005. They we're used a number of times in Classic Who as well though, starting in Pertwee's tenure (1970 ish).

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #247 on: June 26, 2010, 05:58:20 PM »
That was such a lovely end to the series! Tied everything up nicely but also paved the way for the Christmas special and/or next series! :D

I be am boner inducing.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #248 on: June 26, 2010, 06:33:51 PM »
I think the first half was a bit weak. Relied a bit too much on the Deus Ex Machina (eg where did the time loop come from and why was it allowed) but the second half was stellar, if understated. They've been doing very well with the lighting and scenery this series and this was a showcase example.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline robwebster

« Reply #249 on: June 26, 2010, 06:55:17 PM »
Oh it was gorgeous. It did play a little loose with the rules, but everything tied up so so tightly. And what a fantastic ending.

Special points go to the fez, and the kids copying the Doctor's dancing. I actually got a text telling me I dance like the Doctor within about thirty seconds of that scene. It's true. I don't know whether I should be proud or deathly shameful.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #250 on: June 27, 2010, 04:34:17 AM »
second half was stellar
Deliberate pun? :lol

I loved the scene where the Doctor keeps going back to speak to Rory again, especially when they show it the second time seeing both ends of it. Such classic Steven Moffat!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #251 on: June 27, 2010, 04:40:57 AM »
"I can buy a fez..."

What really strikes me is that this is a lot more joyous than the other finales.

Speaking ambiguously, you've got The Parting of the Ways, which was largely played for drama. Doomsday had the upsetting beach scene, then there was the whole thing with The Master in Last of the Time Lords... that metacrisis in Journey's End, and then every single thing about The End of Time.

Moffat on the other hand stripped away most of that. Even while it did have moments that were fairly upsetting, I felt thoroughly fantastic by the end.

I loved the ending, too. So much. Like, after EVERYTHING had fallen back into place. And I think we might be getting a new permanent companion!  :biggrin:

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #252 on: June 27, 2010, 04:51:02 AM »
Yeah it was definitely more fun than most of the finales. Except maybe Journey's End, which was also quite a romp. But then that had a sad ending as they had to get rid of a character, whereas that not being the case this time, it allowed the end to be really really nice!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #253 on: June 27, 2010, 05:43:13 AM »
Just watched Doctor Who Confidential, and I already cannot WAIT for Series 6! We are finally going to get to find out who River Song really is, and they are carrying on the story arc of the silence (and presumably the cracks, to some extent), which I think is the first time a story arc has spanned series. It's also great as this series never saw what baddie was actually behind everything (which is also a first I think) but it's good to know the story isn't over.

Also, according to Wikipedia, the Christmas special is going to be called Evolution of the Universe. It also has a listing of episode titles for Series 6, but I don't know how real/accurate they are.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #254 on: June 27, 2010, 06:06:43 AM »
Well, The Big Bang didn't even get confirmed until a couple of months after The Eleventh Hour broadcast, so it's almost definitely some pre-teen twerp who thinks he's being clever. Half of 'em won't even be written yet.

But yes! I'm the same! I watched it and suddenly realised that we'd not heard a thing about the silence. It's a two-year story arc, that's mad! Moffat is so, so clever.

Rory as a companion, the truth behind River Song - who still hasn't "killed a very good man" - and silence falling. Which already started in Vampires in Venice, and was foreshadowed in The Eleventh Hour. Thoroughly mad.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #255 on: June 27, 2010, 06:27:53 AM »
Well exactly.

Ahaha, the titles have been removed, as has the Christmas Special one. Oh well, sounded like a nice title. Guess we'll just have to keep waiting. :D

I be am boner inducing.

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #256 on: June 27, 2010, 09:07:25 AM »
great episode, a great return to form after 2 crappy finales!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #257 on: June 27, 2010, 09:52:13 AM »
Crappy finales? :o Doctor Who finales are always great, and the 3rd series was probably my favourite one so far!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline faemir

« Reply #258 on: June 27, 2010, 12:11:07 PM »
Last of the Time Lords was the worst finale, what are you on? The Doctor's restoration was awful. and Martha is my favourite companion. Bringing Rose back for the season 4 was an insult to the great end that she had (even though I wasn't a fan of her). Season 1 and 2's finales had a finesse that the later "epic" finales completely lacked, and were always near the bottom of the season's episode rankings. John Simm is a great actor though.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #259 on: June 27, 2010, 02:44:07 PM »
Wow, I couldn't disagree more. The whole idea behind the series 3 finale (including Utopia) was just incredible in my opinion. Series 2 was good but nothing special as that series didn't really have any story arc (other than introducing Torchwood). Series 1 was pretty good, as was 4, but 3 is really where it's at. And 5 as well now, probably my second favourite (and probably my favourite overall series of the five).

I be am boner inducing.

Offline faemir

« Reply #260 on: June 27, 2010, 04:54:41 PM »
I loved season 3 itself, but the finale was the godawful part. And after that it all went downhill with Davies turning Tennant from a quirky awesome guy to a predictable character with predictable plots. I hoped he would go out with a bang in the 'specials', but for the most part they felt like shallow 40 minute episodes drawn out to an hour. On the other hand, the new series feels far more dense, and complex enough that you have to pay attention and concentrate to get it all. I just prefer Moffat by far, and I think he's done far more justice to it. The ending of this season kept the epic scale without being rediculously overdramatic. Oh no, the doctor is all old, let's get the entire fucking world to pray for him, that'll work. And yes, I went around the whooole world and told everyone the story. Yup, way to kill off my character even more after everyone still loves Rose.

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #261 on: June 28, 2010, 11:49:56 AM »
I'm with Dan on the finales. Have to say that I thought 'The Big Bang' was a bit disappointing. Good ideas but not structured very well I didn't think. River Song is getting really annoying.
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #262 on: June 28, 2010, 11:58:11 AM »
I'm sure Rob and I have had a go at you guys before for over analysing Doctor Who and taking it too seriously. :lol

And River is awesome!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline mizzl

• DTF.org Member
  • I have officialy been ravenhearted. Thanks Zydar!
« Reply #263 on: June 28, 2010, 12:03:46 PM »
Epic episode is epic.

Oh and River is awesome

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #264 on: June 28, 2010, 12:43:25 PM »
I'm really looking forward to finding out who she is in the next series. They've made obvious indications that 1) she is his wife/lover, and/or 2) she is going to kill him. But it's not Moffat's style to be that unsubtle, so I'm intrigued as to what all these hints actually refer to.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #265 on: June 28, 2010, 01:36:29 PM »
All I know is Matt has quickly risen to the top for me. I almost don't even miss Tennant anymore.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #266 on: June 28, 2010, 01:45:22 PM »
I'm sure Rob and I have had a go at you guys before for over analysing Doctor Who and taking it too seriously. :lol

And River is awesome!

I'm not taking it too seriously, I'm just commenting on factors that made it less enjoyable for me!
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline faemir

« Reply #267 on: June 28, 2010, 04:06:16 PM »
I'm not overanalysing anything, I'm saying that the basic premise of the episodes is shit.

Also, I love river song. At first it was "oh cool another char" but now she just intrigues me so much - i love how each time they meet she knows less about him and he knows more about her.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #268 on: June 28, 2010, 06:08:30 PM »
Except for the very first time they met.
Also I can't wait to see some images or video from the upcoming Wii game.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #269 on: June 29, 2010, 01:27:45 AM »
Yeah it seems to be reverse chronological order so far. I'm wondering if she knew who he was before she met him. Maybe she's the big bad guy in the next series?! :o Although I doubt it as she sacrificed herself to save him the first time he met her, and helped bring him back into existence this series, so I'm pretty sure she's good.

My dad suggested she's the next Doctor. :lol

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
« Reply #270 on: July 06, 2010, 07:49:55 PM »
I LOVED the explenation to that wierd scene in Flesh and Stone when the Doctor is talking to Rose with her eyes closed. Genius.
I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #271 on: July 06, 2010, 09:02:41 PM »
You mean Amy.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #272 on: July 13, 2010, 03:00:39 AM »
Oh good lord, Katherine Jenkins is in the christmas special! Although as long as she isn't singing, we should be fine, as she is quite hot. :lol

But best of all, MICHAEL GAMBON!!

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/mid_wales/10601111.stm

I be am boner inducing.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #273 on: July 13, 2010, 04:09:30 AM »
Actual real life Dumbledore. Ohh it's a good time to like Doctor Who.

The thing that fascinates me most, though, is Steven Moffat's comments.

Oh, we're going for broke with this one. It's all your favourite Christmas movies at once, in an hour, with monsters and the Doctor and a honeymoon and – oh, you'll see. I've honestly never been so excited about writing anything. I was laughing madly as I typed along to Christmas songs in April. My neighbours loved it so much they all moved away and set up a website demanding my execution. But I'm fairly sure they did it ironically.

Never been so excited about writing anything... that's mad! And if I'm honest, I'm still pinching myself that we've got Steven "All the best episodes" Moffat writing full serieses of Doctor Who. Now he's gonna do a Christmas Special. Wahey.

Apparently this is Katherine's first acting role.

...trust the Pryor!

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
« Reply #274 on: July 13, 2010, 05:30:53 AM »
You mean Amy.

I do. :facepalm:

And I always thought that River was The Doctor from the future, possibly after MS leaves/dies. i can't remember the line exactly but in "The Big Bang", when The Doctor asks who she is she replies, "You'll find out soon enough, and that's when everything changes".

At least, that's what I took from it. :P
I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #275 on: July 13, 2010, 06:48:59 AM »
Well yeah, except that she dies in an earlier season.  And she doesn't regenerate; she dies.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #276 on: July 13, 2010, 06:57:29 AM »
How do we know she doesn't regenerate?

:o

I be am boner inducing.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #277 on: July 13, 2010, 07:29:25 AM »
She does actually say when the Doctor's about to do it - "It happens too fast, not even you could survive that. You'd never regenerate, you know as well as I do."

But I don't think she's the Doctor.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #278 on: July 25, 2010, 04:28:15 PM »
So yeah, I went to the BBC Proms this morning (for those who don't know what the Proms are, 1. for shame! and 2. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Proms) because it was the Doctor Who Prom! Lots of exciting music from DW, plus lots of daleks, cybermen, silurians, judoon and vampires wondering around on stage and in amongst the crowd.

But best of all was getting within 10m of Karen Gillan (and also Matt Smith and Arthur Darvill.... but mainly Karen Gillan). :hat She really is as attractive in person!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #279 on: August 10, 2010, 08:18:55 AM »
Having exhausted everything else on iPlayer, I decided to go back and watch The Beast Below again.

Bit hesitant 'cause I don't want to overplay it, but my fears were unfounded by the looks of things - the opening still gives me the chills. Love the smilers. Love the test card girl with the poem. Love it.

Also high on my list of "giving me the chills" is looking at Karen Gillan. And you got to look at the real, genuine, fleshy article. You bastard. >:E