Author Topic: Doctor Who  (Read 215262 times)

Offline robwebster

Doctor Who
« on: November 04, 2009, 04:29:51 PM »
Come on. There's got to be some fans here.

If you've never seen the new series, I'm not going to faff about, just watch the following trailer. It's for the next episode (November 15th!) and it looks AMAZING.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqEsspZkac0

Best show on television. Ever. I'm stupidly excited.

ETA, 2013-08-04: Here are the survivor results. Read 'em and weep. With joy. And lust. Weep with joy and lust.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 12:16:40 AM by robwebster »

Offline monk

• Hello mirror so glad to see you my friend
Re: Doctor Who
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 04:46:34 PM »
I'm rather looking forward to what's gonna happen at the end of Tennant's tenure
I never really knew how bad it was until I heard Deep Space 5
i love how this evolved form dry humping to ass sex
My Site

Offline Zeltar

• Have a drink, it'll make me look younger.
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 07:58:48 PM »
Awesome stuff. I grew up watching this show, definitely one of my all time favs. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that Tennant's my favorite Doctor. I love his abstract sense of humor and how there's hardly a boring moment.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 10:05:25 PM »
I consider myself a former fan.  By the time of the Catherine Tate season, I was getting pretty tired of the routine.  And David Tennant is pretty much the only reason I watched the show in the first place; he's everything I expect from a Doctor.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 02:44:39 PM »
Thread resurrection, woohoo!

I had never really watched the show up to and including 2009. My first exposure to it was when visiting my girlfriend over new years, her family are fans and they wanted to watch part 2 of The End of Time. Having not seen the first part, or anything else for that matter, it was pretty bizarre, but it got me interested in checking the rebooted version of the show out. So I used my LoveFilm subscription to rent the DVDs starting with the new Series 1 (Christopher Ecclestone) onwards.

As of this afternoon, I am all caught up, including all the specials (End of Time Part 2 made a hell of a lot more sense this time!), and you may now consider me a big fan. What an outrageously fun show!

And even though Tennant has departed, I'm incredibly excited about the new series due to Steven Moffat taking over as head writer. The man is probably my favourite scriptwriter ever.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 02:48:53 PM »
Aha, oh you wise man. Welcome to the dark side! Moffat's fantastic, isn't he. Everything he touches turns to gold.

Incidentally, the airtime for The Eleventh Hour has been revealed today. 6:25pm, Saturday 3rd April 2010. Mark your calendars, kids.  :biggrin:

Details are slooowly coming out. Titles, etc. Series 5 looks like this at the moment...

1. The Eleventh Hour
2. The Beast Below
3. Victory of the Daleks
4. The Time of Angels /
5. Flesh and Stone
6. Vampires in Venice
...and the rest TBA.

4/5 subject to change. And featuring a certain returning villain.

Incidentally, ariich, which episodes would you call your favourites? Probably hard to tell after a single run-through, but I've always wanted to ask a new fan - there's something kinda exciting about finding someone who's just seen it all for the first time.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2010, 03:02:01 PM »
Aha, oh you wise man. Welcome to the dark side! Moffat's fantastic, isn't he. Everything he touches turns to gold.
He really is. Most of my favourite episodes are his, and Coupling is easily one of my favourite sitcoms. Am also very excited about the Tin Tin film that he wrote for Spielberg and Peter Jackson, though it's a shame that he's not doing the 2nd and 3rd ones now due to Doctor Who commitments.

Incidentally, the airtime for The Eleventh Hour has been revealed today. 6:25pm, Saturday 3rd April 2010. Mark your calendars, kids.  :biggrin:
Schweet, I figured it'd be Easter weekend, so exciting stuff!

4/5 subject to change. And featuring a certain returning villain.
Seriously, that episode was so amazingly good, it'll be great to see them with the Doctor featuring in a main role! Although having said that, Carey Mulligan was great as well, so the Doctor never felt particularly missing from it.

Incidentally, ariich, which episodes would you call your favourites? Probably hard to tell after a single run-through, but I've always wanted to ask a new fan - there's something kinda exciting about finding someone who's just seen it all for the first time.
Yeah it's a pretty tough call, there are a few that aren't all that interesting obviously, but at the very least they are all superb fun. My favourites tend to be the ones that are quite dark/creepy, or really clever/epic in some way. Moffat is amazing for that stuff, and while Russell T. Davies was slightly hit and miss, when he was on form he was amazing as well. From a look at the episode list on Wikipedia, and not including the ends of the series (which are always fantastic) my favourites are probably (in no particular order):

The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances
School Reunion
The Girl in the Fireplace
The Shakespeare Code
Blink
Planet of the Ood
Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead

I be am boner inducing.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2010, 03:20:23 PM »
Yeah it's a pretty tough call, there are a few that aren't all that interesting obviously, but at the very least they are all superb fun.
Aye! There are a few slightly patchier episodes, mostly in series 2 - The Idiot's Lantern, Fear Her, etc. etc. But while they're the dregs imo, they're the dregs of a very cool bunch. Very faint scorn.

In fact, they're almost more satisfying to rewatch, I find. If I put on The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit or The Waters of Mars, I know I'm gonna get a really cool story and have a good hour. Whereas, if I sit down to watch Fear Her, I'll be thinking "oh god, not this one, really tacky, why is this on again?;" but then I'll stick with it and it's brimming with really funny touches and a lot of character. There's more surprise.

Seriously, that episode was so amazingly good, it'll be great to see them with the Doctor featuring in a main role! Although having said that, Carey Mulligan was great as well, so the Doctor never felt particularly missing from it.
If I'm honest, I keep on forgetting that we've never directly seen the Doctor face 'em! Even though he only had one or two scenes, they was plastered all over the TV screens and we got to see a lot of them. (Although yeah, Carey Mulligan does help! I hear you can forget your own name if you stare at Carey Mulligan too long. Enchanting!)

My favourites tend to be the ones that are quite dark/creepy, or really clever/epic in some way. Moffat is amazing for that stuff, and while Russell T. Davies was slightly hit and miss, when he was on form he was amazing as well. From a look at the episode list on Wikipedia, and not including the ends of the series (which are always fantastic) my favourites are probably (in no particular order):
Completely agree! (Good set of episodes there, btw!) I think while RTD can be a bit hit and miss, his hits are so good they kinda overshadow his misses. It'd be pretty cool if he wrote a script here and there over the course of Moff's reign.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2010, 03:25:23 PM »
If I'm honest, I keep on forgetting that we've never directly seen the Doctor face 'em! Even though he only had one or two scenes, they was plastered all over the TV screens and we got to see a lot of them. (Although yeah, Carey Mulligan does help! I hear you can forget your own name if you stare at Carey Mulligan too long. Enchanting!)
Seriously. Not only is she a very good actress, she's outrageously pretty. :heart

I think while RTD can be a bit hit and miss, his hits are so good they kinda overshadow his misses.
Absolutely!

It'd be pretty cool if he wrote a script here and there over the course of Moff's reign.
Yeah that would definitely be excellent. Nothing in Series 5, but who knows what'll happen after that. I think the only thing that's known about the 2011 series is that Neil Gaiman will be writing an episode, which is exciting as he's one of my favourite authors!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline DREAMS FTIME45

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2010, 05:23:38 PM »
I am a massive massive fan.
All the old Doctor Who episodes used to be on at 6pm or 6:30pm here in oz.
So I would sit there and just be amazed.
I still love the Doctor today.
Exterminate!! Exterminate!! Exterminate!!

Offline Dark Master Of Sin

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2010, 05:25:12 PM »
I used to watch it with my dad
gone

Offline robwebster

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2010, 05:32:53 PM »
I used to watch it with my dad
Well, continue!

Offline Dark Master Of Sin

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2010, 06:21:08 PM »
It was one of the shows my dad and I bonded over, and watched a lot. Saw seasons 1-3 or so. I've seen some of the newer ones too.
gone

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2010, 01:51:04 AM »
Don't know about the classic series, but the rebooted series is incredibly addictive. Now that I'm watching it, I can't imagine stopping.

:caffeine:

I be am boner inducing.

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2010, 01:57:33 AM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_&_Monsters is easily the worst Dr Who episode. Ever.

That was embarrassingly bad.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2010, 05:37:58 AM »
Haha, yeah. No disagreement here.

I remember watching that on broadcast, not knowing that the Doctor wasn't going to be in it much. I waited about thirty minutes before going "okay, this is going to be one that doesn't have much Doctor in, isn't it." So for the next week I was really looking forward to getting the Doctor back... and it was Fear Her!

There aren't many Doctor Who episodes that I dislike, but those two back to back were fairly disappointing, hahaha.

Still! Then we got Army of Ghosts and I forgot anything was ever wrong.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2010, 12:10:19 PM »
I didn't mind Love & Monsters at all, but then I like Marc Warren. Though as "Doctor-lite" episodes go, Blink owns it in every way.

I also don't think Fear Her or The Idiot's Lantern are particularly bad (the latter in particular was quite creepy). I mean they're not among the best episodes, but they're still good fun, which is the show's main selling point really.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 12:51:02 PM by ariich »

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2010, 12:35:01 PM »
I think might be one of my top 5 reboot episodes.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2010, 12:43:12 PM »
I think might be one of my top 5 reboot episodes.
The whole thing?

I be am boner inducing.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2010, 12:49:22 PM »
Ah! Fear Her, Love & Monsters and The Idiot's Lantern are the only three I particularly dislike. For TIL I felt like I wasn't taking The Wire quite as seriously as everyone else was. :lol L&M is definitely marmitey, though. Just as many good reviews as bad ones. For some reason I wanted to flush LINDA's collected heads down the toilet and steal their milk money, though.

God, there I go! Focusing on the bad. They're the only three I'm a little bit sour on - and like I say, there's plenty to enjoy in even the less good episodes. Just that the DW bar is set quite high. Anything better and I'm pitching up a little tent in my undies.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2010, 12:51:59 PM »
Just that the DW bar is set quite high. Anything better and I'm pitching up a little tent in my undies.
:lol That's a nice image.

Out of curiosity, do you watch any of the spin-off shows at all?

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2010, 12:54:35 PM »
@ Your earlier remark: keep in mind I've only seen seasons 2 and 3 and the most recent Christmas special. :p

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2010, 12:56:41 PM »
@ Your earlier remark: keep in mind I've only seen seasons 2 and 3 and the most recent Christmas special. :p
I was actually making a joke about the fact that you missed words out of your post :lol

I don't even know which episode you were referring to. :P

I be am boner inducing.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2010, 01:34:45 PM »
Just that the DW bar is set quite high. Anything better and I'm pitching up a little tent in my undies.
:lol That's a nice image.

Out of curiosity, do you watch any of the spin-off shows at all?
Torchwood fairly religiously, Sarah Jane briefly in the weeks leading up to the episode featuring The Doctor. Don't mind SJ though I could take it or leave it - Torchwood on the other hand I really dig. Not as much as Who, but it's got a kind of teenagey swashbuckling charm in series 1 and 2, and then Children of Earth is all shades of wonderful.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2010, 06:48:29 AM »
I was actually making a joke about the fact that you missed words out of your post :lol

I don't even know which episode you were referring to. :P

Oh damn, didn't notice that. :lolpalm:

And I meant Blink.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2010, 06:54:26 AM »
Aha! Yeah, good call. I think Blink's in a lot of people's top fives, damn thing's marvellous. :lol

When you say the recent christmas special, did you catch the whole of The End of Time, or just part 1?

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2010, 07:06:43 AM »
Aha! Yeah, good call. I think Blink's in a lot of people's top fives, damn thing's marvellous. :lol

When you say the recent christmas special, did you catch the whole of The End of Time, or just part 1?

I saw the whole thing on Comcast On-Demand, because in America it was never broadcast.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2010, 07:09:56 AM »
Oh excellent.  :hat What did you reckon to it?

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2010, 07:16:40 AM »
I mean honestly I was just watching it to see the new Doctor... :laugh:

Offline robwebster

« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2010, 07:41:29 AM »
Haha. That'll do too, I heart David Tennant immensely but Matt Smith's gonna be fantastic. I'm actually getting stupidly excited now. Just realised that it's only two weeks and two days until it premieres. Ready to explode!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2010, 03:39:09 AM »
New episode premiered last night, article and brief review on BBC news:
https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/low/entertainment/8571193.stm
https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/low/entertainment/8572786.stm

Sounds great, cannot wait to see it! :D

In response to the last few posts:

Blink is easily one of the best episodes, despite being Doctor-lite. I'm hoping for lots of that kind of writing from Moffat in the new series!

The End of Time was really good, though the power and impact it has was so much more after watching all the preceeding episodes. Particularly all that "he will knock four times" stuff.

@Rob: Yeah I've been watching a bit of Torchwood, halfway through series 1 at the moment. It's not bad, but I think they've tried to go a little too dark/gritty than is comfortable for the writers, and it feels a bit forced at times. My favourite bits of the series so far are the more fun segments. But then I've only seen a handful of episodes so it may well improve as I carry on watching.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2010, 10:35:09 AM »
Quote from: ariich
New episode premiered last night, article and brief review on BBC news:
https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/low/entertainment/8571193.stm
https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/low/entertainment/8572786.stm

Sounds great, cannot wait to see it!
Aye! There are a couple of reviews which describe Matt Smith as a bit of a grower, but in my experience that's almost more rewarding. I'm getting so, so pumped. The bit about "spitfires dogfighting in space" dropped my jaw, a bit. That's gotta be Victory of the Daleks, surely.

If you want something to get stuck into, check this out...
https://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2010/03_march/19/doctor_who.shtml
Huge article including interviews with Steven Moffat, Matt Smith, Karen Gillan, Piers Wenger and Beth Willis. Lots of interesting things going on, there. Well worth a read if you've got ten minutes to spare.

Quote from: ariich
Blink is easily one of the best episodes, despite being Doctor-lite. I'm hoping for lots of that kind of writing from Moffat in the new series!

The End of Time was really good, though the power and impact it has was so much more after watching all the preceeding episodes. Particularly all that "he will knock four times" stuff.
I think they're both in the top ten. The End of Time is my favourite of the big episodes. It's so tight and brilliant, it feels like everything that's fantastic about Doctor Who rolled into one massive story. And how good is John Simm!?

@Rob: Yeah I've been watching a bit of Torchwood, halfway through series 1 at the moment. It's not bad, but I think they've tried to go a little too dark/gritty than is comfortable for the writers, and it feels a bit forced at times. My favourite bits of the series so far are the more fun segments. But then I've only seen a handful of episodes so it may well improve as I carry on watching.
Yeah, I think that's a very fair evaluation. Sometimes it feels like they're slopping in "adult" themes, just to emphasise how different it is from Doctor Who. But yeah, they had to turn around series 1 in VERY little time and that's really the reason it's such a mixed bag. I liked it on first airing, but then I caught series 2, and I was flabbergasted by how much more solid it was. It's got a lot more of a vibrant, swashbucking feel, and feels self-assured and intensely confident.

And then you have Children of Earth, which might be one of the best slabs of television I've ever seen. So, so good. Series 2 is fun and involving but a little bit throwaway, Children of Earth is powerful. The 456 are damn terrifying.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2010, 02:50:01 PM »
Oh god...

Prepare from a visit from Count Fucking Spaffington.

https://www.digitalspy.co.uk/cult/s7/doctor-who/news/a209692/the-second-who-series-five-trailer.html

DALEKS! CYBERMEN! THAT OPENING SHOT!

(Fucking is the count's first name, if you were wondering.)

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2010, 04:02:41 PM »
I'm fine with the new Doctor, but the new assistant looks a bit... young :-\

Also, him using a gun without hesitation? :S Seems to almost ruin the last episode of the specials.

AND BLUE > GREEN GUYS, I DONT WANT THIS GREEN SONIC SCREW DRIVER BS

Offline robwebster

« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2010, 04:19:37 PM »
I'm fine with the new Doctor, but the new assistant looks a bit... young :-\
Yeah, but...

Who cares?!  :biggrin:

Quote from: faemir
Also, him using a gun without hesitation? :S Seems to almost ruin the last episode of the specials.
Well, keep in mind, we don't know what he's firing at. The aim is a bit high for him to be shooting at a person. And keep in mind that he nicked that big ol' blaster in Bad Wolf, was driven insane by the Dalek in Dalek and so he threatened it with a gun, and he went around spraying clockwork droids with a pretty gun-like fire-extinguisher in The Girl in the Fireplace - not to mention, as you said, the bit with the revolver in the End of Time, so it's not like it's particularly out of the ordinary for him to be depicted with a gun.

I've got a hunch it might be a flare gun!