Author Topic: Doctor Who  (Read 216497 times)

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: Doctor Who
« Reply #3465 on: July 16, 2014, 04:17:23 PM »
This thread is at 99 pages for me.

EDIT: 100 now. :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #3466 on: July 16, 2014, 04:43:23 PM »
I guess you're on 35 posts per page? The point still stands, there are multiple threads around that are significantly longer than this one.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #3467 on: July 16, 2014, 11:45:22 PM »
I guess you're on 35 posts per page? The point still stands, there are multiple threads around that are significantly longer than this one.

We're on the default/correct number of posts per page. :biggrin:

If there's going to be a new thread, I think it should be sooner rather than later. I don't want to have a thread locked mid discussion about the new Doc!
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #3468 on: July 17, 2014, 07:42:11 AM »

Personally, I wanna see all those shut down too. But not being a mod or admin, well y'know.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3469 on: July 17, 2014, 09:35:47 AM »
Usually I aim to start a new thread at around 100 pages when I see them, simply because when a thread becomes too large it can potentially become a problem for the database restoration in the event of corruption or whatever (this is part of the problem why we had to wipe the site completely a few years back). It's true that there are a few threads around longer than that, but tbh thats probably because I've not seen them.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #3470 on: July 17, 2014, 10:46:55 AM »
 :tup

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #3471 on: July 23, 2014, 06:25:27 AM »
From SFX Magazine:

Deep Breath: "It's a huge introductory show. What if your best friend was somebody else? It's really about Clara trying to cope with that - and whether or not she even likes who he is, mixed in with a truly terrifying monster."

2. "We've done a really good Dalek one by saying they're nasty. It's actually quite a gritty Dalek adventure. We go without question into the most dangerous place in the universe - the last place the Doctor should be, and you will know that by the end of the pre-titles."

3. It's the Doctor meets Robin Hood. And it's about being a hero. The Doctor's going through a period of his life where he's worrying about whether he counts as a good man. It's very, very funny. Everything you want in a good Robin Hood is going to be there."

4. "A complete departure for me in terms of writing Doctor Who. A tiny guest cast, no CGI. It's the story of a date and the Doctor having what appears to be a mild nervous breakdown. There's a little germ of Coupling in it. It's actually quite a scary one. I sometimes wonder: "What does the Doctor do when there's nothing going on? Does he go and find something to poke a stick at?" Of course he must. Essentially it's downtime for the Doctor. But don't worry, it involves a monster."

5. "It's like a heist movie done with Doctor Who. It's got a cracking monster in it, one of Neill Gorton's finest creations. And Keeley Hawes."

6. "An absolute hoot of an episode with some surprisingly serious bits in it. If you did know somebody like the Doctor and you did think it was okay to slip away with him, what effect would that have on your life? What would that do to the people around you? I sit and watch this one to cheer myself up. I suppose it's not unlike The Lodger in certain respects."

7. "Proper drama. With monsters and all the Doctor Who stuff that you could want. It's probably quite a big statement of where we are now with the show. This might be where you can argue that the new approach is, for the first time, seen uncluttered by any of the old approach. It's very strong. And there's a callback to a past episode. Sort of. You'll see."

8. "Brilliant script. Brilliant idea for a monster. It looks stunning in a very glamorous way. And it has Foxes singing. There's a callback to something from Matt's first series. Sometimes I play a long game. And sometimes I just think "We never actually tied that off...shall we just go and sort that now?" Usually because I think it would be incredibly funny. I like the idea that the Doctor takes that long. "Yes, I'll be there in a moment..." Several years later..."

9. "It's a horror story. It starts off with a very .... idea and becomes really quite frightening by the end. A scary one. A proper scary one with one of our best ever sight gags in it. It runs throughout the episode and the climax of this particular gag, I think, is just glorious. I remember reading it out at the readthrough and everyone was just clapping and cheering at Jamie Mathieson's idea."

10. It's a beautiful script; it's really lyrical and poetic, and boldly so. A fairytale, but not in the sense that I've tended to write a fairytale. Heartfelt, eloquent, quite, quite different. The main visual idea is so clever. I think it's going to be a stunner.

11-12. "The finale. Quite a strong emotional story to this. It's about Clara and the Doctor and the fact that the way they interact might not be healthy for everyone around them. That sounds very bleak but don't worry, there's lots of nonsense in it too. It's high octane action adventure, with Cybermen. And some proper UNIT stuff."

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3472 on: July 23, 2014, 09:24:43 AM »
So, is episode 7 where they go back to Pompeii?

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3473 on: July 23, 2014, 01:29:58 PM »
That's a good possibility.  Filming took place in Lanzarote on some volcanic plains.

Also titles:
801: Deep Breath
802: Into the Dalek
803: Robots of Sherwood
804: Listen
805: Time Heist
806: The Caretaker
807: Kill the Moon
808: Mummy on the Orient Express
809: Flatline
810: Child's Play
811: Gates of Paradise
812: Death in Heaven
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 06:20:30 PM by jonny108 »

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #3474 on: July 23, 2014, 03:50:15 PM »
Spoilers...?

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3475 on: July 23, 2014, 03:57:59 PM »
Indeed.

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3476 on: July 23, 2014, 06:19:56 PM »
Apologies, I'll shrink them down.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #3477 on: July 23, 2014, 08:59:29 PM »
That's a good possibility.  Filming took place in Lanzarote on some volcanic plains.

I though that the episode that was filmed on Lanzarote was supposed to call back the last episode to be filmed there, which would be Planet of Fire from the Peter Davison era.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #3478 on: August 04, 2014, 12:28:35 PM »
I had heard that the new series of DW will have an episode take place on the planet of fire which was a 5th Doctor episode. So I watched it, I already knew it would be slow paced like all classic who but  is the 5th Doctor always out of breath? He seems to have a hard time catching his breath a lot. He's the same in the Caves of Androzani.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3479 on: August 05, 2014, 02:43:07 AM »
I watched the Paul McGann Doctor Who movie last night. I didn't have high expectations, but it was quite awful. The plot didn't make much sense, and it was blatantly derivative and cheesy as hell.

Paul McGann made a good doctor though, and he was the only redeeming factor of the movie. I wish he'd gotten to do the 50th anniversary episode. Nothing against John Hurt of course, as he did a great job, but I think it would have had a bit more impact to bring an established Doctor into the role instead of inventing one just for that episode.

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #3480 on: August 05, 2014, 06:00:53 AM »
I agree 100%. I wish Eccelston took part in the 50th as well.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3481 on: August 05, 2014, 07:16:05 AM »

While I'm not a big fan of Eccelston as the Doctor, I was a bit disappointed that he didn't want to participate in anything Who related. Even if just to have a more conclusive regeneration scene for Hurt to make it come full circle.

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #3482 on: August 05, 2014, 07:32:50 AM »

While I'm not a big fan of Eccelston as the Doctor, I was a bit disappointed that he didn't want to participate in anything Who related. Even if just to have a more conclusive regeneration scene for Hurt to make it come full circle.

Exactly, just to have a minute or two with him at the end would have been nice. I'm a bit torn though because I loved Eccelston as the Doctor but I also liked the idea of the 'War Doctor' fighting in the time war from youth until he became old and tired. Another part of me would have liked Paul Mcgann to be the one to become old and bitter during the time war.

In the end it was probably the best decision to have a completely different Doctor given that Mcgann's Doctor already has a massive literary back story and Eccelston didn't want to come back.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3483 on: August 05, 2014, 10:34:39 AM »
Why didn't Eccleston want to have anything to do with it?

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #3484 on: August 05, 2014, 01:54:04 PM »
Because he doesn't want to be one of those actors that have one iconic role and can't get away from it's shadow. Or something like that.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #3485 on: August 05, 2014, 03:26:27 PM »
I watched the Paul McGann Doctor Who movie last night. I didn't have high expectations, but it was quite awful. The plot didn't make much sense, and it was blatantly derivative and cheesy as hell.

Paul McGann made a good doctor though, and he was the only redeeming factor of the movie. I wish he'd gotten to do the 50th anniversary episode. Nothing against John Hurt of course, as he did a great job, but I think it would have had a bit more impact to bring an established Doctor into the role instead of inventing one just for that episode.

Did you see the online short with McGann that came out before the 50th show?

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #3486 on: August 05, 2014, 09:06:36 PM »
Some interesting reads

He left because he didn't like where the show was going. (paraphrased)
https://www.denofgeek.com/tv/doctor-who/20897/christopher-eccleston-is-this-why-he-really-quit-doctor-who

Christopher Eccleston refuses to return for Doctor Who's 50th anniversary
https://www.blastr.com/2011/05/christopher_eccelston_ref.php

Moffat reveals his plans (and fears) if Eccleston had returned for Who's 50th
https://www.blastr.com/2013-12-16/moffat-reveals-his-plans-and-fears-if-eccleston-had-returned-whos-50th

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3487 on: August 05, 2014, 09:48:48 PM »

Did you see the online short with McGann that came out before the 50th show?

Of course! (I believe it was actually the first Doctor Who I ever saw, funnily enough)
But I would have liked to see more of him. The webisode felt like a bit of a token thing in regards to McGann, and was more to set up the War Doctor's place in the timeline so it made some sense in the 50th without jamming in more exposition.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3488 on: August 08, 2014, 04:53:55 AM »

I *think* the first Dr. I saw was Jon Pertwee ( re runs ) and the first Doctor who was my favourite was Tom Baker.

I don't really enjoy the RT Davies Era but David Tennant was pretty good. I barely saw any of Matt Smith but the ones I did see I thought were really bad.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 05:00:10 AM by Kotowboy »

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3489 on: August 09, 2014, 09:21:19 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g65E1Jp-jLg

BBC Breakfast interview with Peter Capaldi.  Includes some clips from episode 2.

2 WEEKS TO GO  :metal

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3490 on: August 09, 2014, 10:41:45 AM »
Looks great so far, but I'm a bit worried that I had a lot of trouble understanding Capaldi in that second clip where he's walking and talking. There's a line there that after listening to 3 times, I couldn't figure out what he's saying at all.
Aside from that, his take on The Doctor is looking to be a good one.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #3491 on: August 09, 2014, 10:59:51 AM »
Gungirl :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
?
« Reply #3492 on: August 09, 2014, 02:50:10 PM »
This is gungirl shes a girl with a gun - this is her sort of boss but I may have made that up to pass the time.  are you the same man as before ?  - this is clara - shes not my assistant - that was someone else. ?

She cares so i dont have to ?

He does talk quite fast :p

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3493 on: August 17, 2014, 02:45:48 AM »
I read that apparently Clara will be leaving Dr Who with the Christmas episode.
It would have been nice to see her get a longer run, although I like the idea of Capaldi getting his own companion, like the Ponds were exclusively 11's companions.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #3494 on: August 17, 2014, 03:08:40 AM »
Yes, me too. I quite like her and I believe I am going to like her character even more in the next season. Still, this is probably the best move for both parties.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3495 on: August 17, 2014, 03:32:29 AM »
I saw the story in The Mirror.  Can we consider it reliable?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3496 on: August 17, 2014, 03:36:09 AM »

I saw the story in The Mirror.  Can we consider it reliable?

The Mirror is not reliabe? But I spent so long trusting in you... :(
- Marco

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #3497 on: August 17, 2014, 03:37:25 AM »
But I spent so long trusting in you, Mirror...

EDIT: GODDAMMIT MARCO
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3498 on: August 17, 2014, 03:38:00 AM »
But I spent so long trusting in you, Mirror...

Too slow :p
- Marco

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3499 on: August 17, 2014, 03:39:50 AM »
Rule 632: Never waste an opportunity for a Dream Theater pun. Unless you are on the General Music Discussion subfroum. In this case, always waste an opoortunity for a Dream Theater pun. :p
- Marco