Author Topic: Doctor Who  (Read 216371 times)

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
Re: Doctor Who
« Reply #3150 on: February 17, 2014, 02:54:40 PM »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3151 on: February 17, 2014, 02:58:43 PM »
Welcome back, Jamesman!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #3152 on: February 17, 2014, 03:08:03 PM »
Daddy!

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3153 on: February 17, 2014, 04:17:29 PM »
I have the 11th's sonic. It's pretty cool. Was suprised at how hefty it is. I want to get 10's as well because it doubles as a pen

Offline DP_Gumby

• Wished I lived in any fantasy realm
« Reply #3154 on: February 18, 2014, 01:08:57 AM »
Yeah, I'm considering the 11th sonic screwdriver too.
Although my favorite doctor is the 10th, my favorite sonic screwdriver is the 11th.
"This morning, shortly after eleven o'clock, comedy struck this little house in Dibley. Sudden. Violent. Comedy." - Monty Python's Flying Circus.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #3155 on: February 22, 2014, 06:25:57 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzmnPs64K74

I can honestly say I was chuckling through this entire video, Then the ending happend and i completely lost it.   :rollin
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #3156 on: February 24, 2014, 04:58:19 PM »
https://www.doctorwho.tv/whats-new/article/samuel-anderson-joins-doctor-who-for-peter-capaldi-s-first-series

Interesting...new recurring character for series 8. I'm guessing he'll become a full time companion, maybe similar to how Rory was in Series 5.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #3157 on: February 24, 2014, 06:41:52 PM »
Or maybe something like Captain Jack in a way

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #3158 on: February 24, 2014, 06:57:24 PM »
I'm thinking he'll start off trying to figure out why Clara is always running off, and will stumble across Clara and the Doc, and maybe he'll be a bad guy undercover and we're not quite sure if he's bad, or what he's up to. I don't know.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3159 on: February 24, 2014, 07:25:47 PM »
I think they're trying to draw a comparison to the beginning. The oldest doctor, two teachers as companions

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3160 on: February 24, 2014, 07:36:08 PM »
Having only jumped on with the 2005 series, I completely missed that comparison!

I like them mixing it up with new companions, although I haven't been a fan of the recent male companions. Rory was worthless. I would have liked Captain Jack to stay on longer though.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #3161 on: February 24, 2014, 07:42:36 PM »
Rory was great. :(

Captain Jack never got to meet 11. God I wish I could see that interaction.

Maybe he will meet 12.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3162 on: February 25, 2014, 12:44:17 AM »
Rory was worthless.
Wtf. I do not understand your taste in companions.

Anyway, if he's going to be a new companion, then I'm all for it, I love it when DW has multiple companions!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3163 on: February 25, 2014, 12:48:37 AM »
Rory was worthless.
Wtf. I do not understand your taste in companions.

I didn't dislike him, but he was worthless, and he knew it. He was Amy's bitch. Hopefully the new male companion has a scrotum this time.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #3164 on: February 25, 2014, 03:47:10 AM »
I agree about Rory, for the most part he was just as bad as Rose's bf. He was given some moments to shine, but as badass as they were they always felt like something entirely out of character and seemed disconnected from him.

I'm not a big fan of having 2 companions at the same time, it breaks down the dynamics which I think work best when there's only the Doctor and the Companion. 3 is definitely a crowd on the Tardis.

I'd love this to happen, just so I can watch all the Moffat haters squirm: PC is a doctor only for one season, and this is also Moffat's last one. At the end Clara is gone back to her life or dead, the Doctor regenerates into a... woman and this new guy becomes her male companion. Wouldn't that piss off 90% of the Who fans in a beautiful way xD

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3165 on: February 25, 2014, 04:50:33 AM »
Rory's story arc was fantastic, in my opinion, probably my favourite of the lot to be honest. Your view of him seems to be based on the first half of his first season, which isn't fair at all. Sure, he started out pathetic, that was sort of the point as it allowed a lot of character development for him and Amy and their relationship. He was kickass by the end.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3166 on: February 25, 2014, 05:19:06 AM »
Even by the end Rory was just Mr Pond (which was always hilarious). I never really bought the whole centurion thing. He waited around for 2000 years, but it never made him seem tougher, it just made him even more Amy's bitch. He was lucky to score Amy.

I also much prefer just the Doctor with one companion dynamic.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #3167 on: February 25, 2014, 05:20:08 AM »
Yeah, his development over the seasons was great to watch.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3168 on: February 25, 2014, 07:09:07 AM »
Fair enough, I don't agree at all with you about Rory, but I think this is probably part of the difference. I enjoy the one-companion dynamic fine, but I find the dynamic and character development generally more enjoyable when there is more than one. That's one of my favourite things about parts of the classic series - the first, second and fifth Doctors usually had multiple companions (and the tenth and eleventh have done as well for quite large chunks).

I be am boner inducing.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3169 on: February 25, 2014, 07:18:59 AM »
Fair enough, I don't agree at all with you about Rory, but I think this is probably part of the difference. I enjoy the one-companion dynamic fine, but I find the dynamic and character development generally more enjoyable when there is more than one. That's one of my favourite things about parts of the classic series - the first, second and fifth Doctors usually had multiple companions (and the tenth and eleventh have done as well for quite large chunks).

For me it had nothing to do with having two companions. Rory actually would have been much worse if it was just him, as his character relied on mooching off Amy. He didn't have a lot going for him on his own.
I haven't had a problem with the recent times when there have been two companions, but it doesn't really add anything imo, and they usually feel like tag-alongs, rather than their own separate companion. The two person dynamic works the most effectively imo.

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #3170 on: February 25, 2014, 08:45:51 AM »
I like the mini-episode where Rory crashes the Tardis because he was looking up Amy skirt. lol

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #3171 on: February 25, 2014, 08:50:00 AM »
I like the mini-episode where Rory crashes the Tardis because he was looking up Amy skirt. lol
Can't say I blame him.
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #3172 on: February 25, 2014, 08:58:49 AM »
I must have missed that.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3173 on: February 25, 2014, 09:01:45 AM »
Humourless feminists got very upset about that and said it showed that Doctor Who was sexist. :|

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #3174 on: February 25, 2014, 09:03:21 AM »
I think some people just go through life trying to be offended.

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #3175 on: February 25, 2014, 09:04:04 AM »
I believe this is it, hard to verify when at work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51JtuEa_OPc

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #3176 on: February 26, 2014, 09:47:58 PM »
What we need, imo, is a male companion who has /no/ attachment to the female character in the TARDIS. Captain Jack's brief TARDIS run was absolutely fantastic and one of the best-- when the male companion is basically an extension of the female companion in that there is a romantic angle between them, they feel like less of their own character, honestly.

If this "Danny Pink" has a romantic angle with Clara, it'll likely be a bit frustrating, as I'd rather him be 1. someone for the Doctor to be 'bros' with for a while, a la Jamie, Jack, or Harry, or 2. a villain, hidden in plain sight. They need to spin the companion dynamic in a new and refreshing way this time around.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3177 on: February 26, 2014, 09:55:43 PM »
What we need, imo, is a male companion who has /no/ attachment to the female character in the TARDIS. Captain Jack's brief TARDIS run was absolutely fantastic and one of the best-- when the male companion is basically an extension of the female companion in that there is a romantic angle between them, they feel like less of their own character, honestly.

If this "Danny Pink" has a romantic angle with Clara, it'll likely be a bit frustrating, as I'd rather him be 1. someone for the Doctor to be 'bros' with for a while, a la Jamie, Jack, or Harry, or 2. a villain, hidden in plain sight. They need to spin the companion dynamic in a new and refreshing way this time around.

Agree completely on the first paragraph. The recent male companions mostly haven't felt like their own characters, they've been additions as extensions of the female companion's background.

Personally I'm leaning towards option 2. I think he'll be portrayed as mysterious and devious and sneaky, with unknown intentions, and either end up being a villian, or possibly being there to help the Doctor, or maybe just someone who stumbles across Clara's secret of tagging along with the Doctor, and ends up joining them. There are plenty of possibilities.

Hopefully no romantic angle though. The show is plenty sentimental enough as it is without throwing additional love angles into the main cast. :lol

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #3178 on: February 26, 2014, 09:57:06 PM »
Unless he creates a love QUADRANGLE with The Doctor, Clara and the TARDIS.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3179 on: February 26, 2014, 09:58:59 PM »

Getting freaky with a 2000 year old alien and a blue box that's bigger on the inside? That I'd like to see! :lol

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #3180 on: February 26, 2014, 10:00:57 PM »
:heybaby:

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #3181 on: February 26, 2014, 10:28:56 PM »

Getting freaky with a 2000 year old alien and a blue box that's bigger on the inside? That I'd like to see! :lol

Rule 34.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3182 on: February 27, 2014, 01:42:15 AM »

I have no problem at all with the romantic angle, and as I've said already the Amy/Rory dynamic and character development is probably my favourite of the lot. However, I do agree that it would be better at this stage to do something different, because we've had a lot of that recently, with Rose and Mickey (and Rose and the Doctor of course) and then Amy and Rory.

I like your villain angle. I'd love to see them do something Turlough-esque with a companion at some point.

I be am boner inducing.

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3183 on: March 04, 2014, 09:04:32 AM »
Started this show a while back and just finished The Day of the Doctor. Holy shit this show has been one hell of a ride. Can't wait for the start of the next season.

Two things about TDotD though; I wish that the new Doctors would have gotten to see "Rose", or at least acknowledged the mention of Bad Wolf a bit more than that one line from Tennant. Also, I would have liked to have had more than one brief line from Eccleston, but that's just a minor nit-pick. Other than that it was fantastic.

EDIT: Wait.. I have "Time of the Doctor" left don't I? Went looking for something more, and found that title... I will be back when properly done..

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3184 on: March 04, 2014, 10:41:06 AM »
There, done. And what I said before still stands.