Author Topic: Doctor Who  (Read 216547 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: Doctor Who
« Reply #3080 on: January 15, 2014, 06:38:12 PM »
Haha, anyone who even claims that Moffat is ruining the show has clearly not looked at the ratings of the show nor the amount of people worldwide who are tuning in to watch the show. It's bigger than it has ever been, and it just keeps getting more popular. Whatever Moffat is doing "wrong" is certainly getting more viewers and good ratings, and I love the show from his perspective, so I hope he continues "ruining" the show because I'm sure as heck enjoying it.

The hype and popularity surrounding the 50th anniversary episode is what convinced me to watch the show, and the strength of the episode is what kept me watching, so yeah, I'm all for him continuing to ruin it too!
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline adameastment

« Reply #3081 on: January 15, 2014, 08:51:21 PM »
Thing is though, you ask anyone if they like Moffat they'll say no. Then ask the same people what their favourite Who episodes from series 1 are and they're probably answer; The Empty Child/Doctor Dances. Series 3; Blink. Etc, purely because of how they're written... *sigh*

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #3082 on: January 16, 2014, 11:22:15 AM »
Since I've only just finished Series 3 I can't really say anything about Moffat, but the episodes he's written in S1-3 were all amazing.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #3083 on: January 18, 2014, 10:21:13 AM »
I never noticed how hunched-over Matt Smith's posture is until I saw the 50th special. Weird, right?
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #3084 on: January 18, 2014, 10:31:29 AM »
Love this picture so much.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #3085 on: January 18, 2014, 01:25:11 PM »
A hint at exciting things to come. :)
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3086 on: January 19, 2014, 03:47:03 AM »
Surely it won't be long before Doctor Who fans start posting on twitter how they love " Soft Top Hard Shoulder " just coz Capaldi is in it.

" omg Soft Top Hard Shoulder so funnyyyyyyy capaldi can u not omg "

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3087 on: January 19, 2014, 03:59:52 AM »
I didn't understand any part of that post.

I've started to see more of the anti-Moffat complainers lately, picking apart everything just because they're supposed to, yet ignoring how ridiculous the RTD era was for some reason.

I've seen a few people bitching about Moffat trying to one up everyone else by inventing the war doctor just so he could be the one to deal with the regeneration limit, and making the battle on Trenzalore last 900 years (according to some official book or something) so his doctor could be way older and better than the previous doctors. Or some shit like that.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3088 on: January 19, 2014, 04:00:56 AM »

Surely it won't be long before Doctor Who fans start posting on twitter how they love " Soft Top Hard Shoulder " just coz Capaldi is in it.

??? " Soft Top, hard Shoulder " is a British film starring Peter Capaldi.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3089 on: January 19, 2014, 04:04:48 AM »

??? " Soft Top, hard Shoulder " is a British film starring Peter Capaldi.

Oh, that makes much more sense! :lol Sorry, I've never heard of it, and I had a serious mental block figuring out what it was referring to. I've never actually seen or heard of anything else with Capaldi in it, barring the one previous episode of Who that he was in.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3090 on: January 19, 2014, 04:09:58 AM »
Well it's quite old now - he's a lot younger in it. That was my first experience of Capaldi. I've not actually seen any " The Thick Of It. " but I should do because the writer Armando Iannucci is one of my favourite writers and comedians.

Iannucci is pretty much the king of satirical comedy in the UK - having been a part of Chris Morris' "The Day Today" " Brass Eye" " I'm Alan Partridge" etc.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3091 on: January 19, 2014, 04:23:18 AM »
What I've seen of The Thick Of It - just clips, really, looks incredible, and I would love to watch it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3092 on: January 19, 2014, 05:42:22 PM »
Actually i'm lying because I saw Local Hero way before Soft Top, Hard Shoulder. I always forget he's in it.

It was one of my Dad's favourite films when I was tiny. Partly due to Mark Knopfler writing the score.

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
« Reply #3093 on: January 19, 2014, 06:59:01 PM »
Well it's quite old now - he's a lot younger in it. That was my first experience of Capaldi. I've not actually seen any " The Thick Of It. " but I should do because the writer Armando Iannucci is one of my favourite writers and comedians.

Iannucci is pretty much the king of satirical comedy in the UK - having been a part of Chris Morris' "The Day Today" " Brass Eye" " I'm Alan Partridge" etc.

the thick of it is hilarious!!!  I watched it last year and was just wondering if Scots are always so angry?  >:(  :lol

the movie from it is on Netflix.  It's called In the Loop.  Has James Gandolfini in it.  Good stuff!
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #3094 on: January 20, 2014, 05:53:50 AM »
The Thick of It might be the best work of political satire ever.  It's utterly phenomenal.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #3095 on: January 26, 2014, 02:59:15 PM »
Was listening to Series 7's soundtrack on Spotify, and "Infinite Potential" made me have to go and rewatch Matt Smith's regeneration. Ugh, I love it so much.

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3096 on: January 27, 2014, 04:58:36 AM »
Rumours are that Capaldi's costume reveal is today or definitely this week .  Excited!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3097 on: January 27, 2014, 05:03:11 AM »
Rumours are that Capaldi's costume reveal is today or definitely this week .  Excited!

:caffeine: For reals? Is there some specific event or place to watch out? I wasn't expecting his outfit to be revealed until the new episodes air.

(noob Who fan here, so this is my first time with a new Doc)

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3098 on: January 27, 2014, 06:02:27 AM »
https://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/ Keep checking here pal, really good source for Doctor Who news.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3099 on: January 27, 2014, 06:07:50 AM »

:caffeine: For reals? Is there some specific event or place to watch out? I wasn't expecting his outfit to be revealed until the new episodes air.
They wouldn't be able to film any outdoor scenes if they wanted to do that. No, they need to reveal it officially so that it doesn't get revealed by fans taking photos.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3100 on: January 27, 2014, 06:16:06 AM »

They wouldn't be able to film any outdoor scenes if they wanted to do that. No, they need to reveal it officially so that it doesn't get revealed by fans taking photos.

Makes sense. I'd much prefer an official reveal, to see it on their terms in good quality, rather than have people scrutinizing based on some blurry camera phone photos. And then when the episode airs, there's still the fun of seeing how he ends up with his outfit.

So what are people thinking/hoping his outfit will be this time? I could see him doing a vest, and an old timey fob watch, and a long coat or something. Something like a 1920s professor or scientist. :lol

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3101 on: January 27, 2014, 06:25:42 AM »
I saw this crop up somewhere and thought it would be perfect for Pete.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #3102 on: January 27, 2014, 06:27:03 AM »
It's too shiny. I'd love to be able to not see stuff like that until the episode, so far in my Dr Who experience I've always seen the doctor and the outfit at the time they regenerated.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3103 on: January 27, 2014, 06:39:32 AM »
Yeah, that's too shiny and fancy. I also think it looks too close to a normal suit like Tennant (even though I know it's different). He needs something distinctly unique to his Doctor.

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3104 on: January 27, 2014, 06:51:42 AM »
Ah yeah I suppose it does look a bit Tennantish haha, he used to wear blue every now and then too. I wouldn't mind seeing something with a bit of colour, definitely not as colourful as Colin Baker though.  Maybe even white. I dunno, never been a fashion expert.  Still, never been this excited to see some clothes before :lol

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #3105 on: January 27, 2014, 11:07:24 AM »
The only right answer is this.

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3106 on: January 27, 2014, 11:41:19 AM »

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #3107 on: January 27, 2014, 12:13:29 PM »
I'm in the air about that. Only because the Doctor has always had something quirky, this is just style. While in the end I'll be fine with. I always liked that each one had his own thing; well 9 maybe not so much... I guess his leather jacket? lol

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #3108 on: January 27, 2014, 12:17:18 PM »
I don't think it suits him. His face seems to demand something else.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #3109 on: January 27, 2014, 02:50:31 PM »
I dig it. It's a bit of a combo of 1, 3 and 9. Sharp looking, but simple and to the point. Nice. :tup
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3110 on: January 27, 2014, 05:57:52 PM »
So, do you think he's going to keep the green sonic and are we going to see him add the "red setting"?

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #3111 on: January 27, 2014, 08:06:09 PM »
So, do you think he's going to keep the green sonic and are we going to see him add the "red setting"?

Eh, I'm thinking he'll get a new Sonic, personally. It's time for a new model, imo. I have a feeling it might resemble the War Doctor's Sonic, actually. The show's been heading into a retro style lately, so it wouldn't surprise me if that influences the look of the new Sonic.

Also there seems to be a rumor going around that Charles Dance (aka Tywin Lannister from Game of Thrones) might be appearing as the Master this season. Dunno how accurate that is, but it'd be epic as hell to see Capaldi and Dance go at it as the Doctor and the Master.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3112 on: January 27, 2014, 08:57:34 PM »
Dance would make an excellent Master

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3113 on: January 27, 2014, 11:55:22 PM »
I like it. :tup

It's not *too* far from what I was expecting, although I was thinking more brown/black colours rather than the dark blue, but I like it. Maybe it's not quite as distinctive as I was expecting, but I think it will suit him once we see him in action.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #3114 on: January 28, 2014, 05:04:43 AM »
WHAT. Charles Dance as the Master would be EPIC!