Author Topic: Doctor Who  (Read 216456 times)

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: Doctor Who
« Reply #3010 on: December 28, 2013, 01:59:04 AM »
Well, I personally don't have any trouble following Moffat's plotlines. If you pay attention and actually watch the episodes (whilst rewatching them later may help as well) then it isn't that difficult to piece together his plotlines.

Moffat at least was able to shift the show's dynamic from a sci-fi adventure-filled soap opera (sorry RTD) to an actual family sci-fi drama with elements of fantasy-- something that is much more akin to how classic Doctor Who was.

Yeah, but there's a huge disconnect between your first and second paragraphs. On one hand, MOffat's catering to an ever-increasing audience of diehards who are gonna pay close attention, rewatch, and go online to sort out every little detail to follow the show. On the other hand, Moffat's trying to keep the show an all-ages, family sci0-fi. Something tells me that little Timmy and Mom and Dad aren't gonna be doing due diligence to put everything together.

That's my only real criticism, overall. It's hard to cater to the diehard fans while keeping the family show vibe going, and Moffat has done an OK but not perfect job of doing that. I personally find the show difficult to follow occasionally. There are several plotpoints from the Moffat era that I'm pretty unclear on, I'm just happy enough to move on.
Kids find it easy enough to follow, so adults really shouldn't have any trouble at all. I think it's laziness mostly - the majority of adults don't bother to invest much thought in what they're watching. Moffat's writing is clever and he loves to play around with non-linear storytelling, but it really isn't that complicated.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #3011 on: December 28, 2013, 02:03:34 AM »
For me, I've never had any trouble following any of the storyline, and the increased relative complexity of those is one of the two main reason I like the show better since The Eleventh Hour.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #3012 on: December 28, 2013, 03:27:09 AM »
I haven't had any problem following the story lines. It also helps that I binged on the entire show in a couple of weeks, so all of the story arcs were fresh in my mind, but for the genre I don't think the stories are hard to follow at all.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3013 on: December 28, 2013, 04:03:04 AM »
I don't have a problem following it either, and neither do my daughters (age 10 and 17).  We love watching the show together - indeed, it is one of the few shows on TV for which I can say that, and I am thankful for it. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3014 on: December 28, 2013, 07:34:17 AM »
Kids find it easy enough to follow, so adults really shouldn't have any trouble at all. I think it's laziness mostly - the majority of adults don't bother to invest much thought in what they're watching. Moffat's writing is clever and he loves to play around with non-linear storytelling, but it really isn't that complicated.
I'd say kids follow it because they take the show the same way I tend to - they don't get hung up on all the different plot points and just roll with it. The same is not true about many of the diehards.

TBH, I should say I only had trouble following the "Spaceman Suit" arc, probably because I was on my DS while trying to watch the episodes.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 11:00:54 AM by Perpetual Change »

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #3015 on: December 28, 2013, 09:40:24 AM »
Some interesting points of view here. I haven't been following the show nearly long enough to have any input but I do agree with some of the stuff said about the writing.

Well couldn't a "cycle" just refer to one body's "life"? I'm not all up on my Doctor lingo, but that's a pretty obvious interpretation to me.

But he says regeneration cycle; Cycle meaning multiple events and Regeneration being the event.

Please don't think I'm seriously worried about this, but I must point out that is not the only way to define the word "cycle."

For instance, the dictionary on my laptop has a whole list of definitions, and the first two lines are:

-A series of events that are regularly repeated in the same order
-The period of time taken to complete a single sequence of such events

So a regeneration cycle could refer to a series of regenerations, but it could also refer to the span of one regeneration. Ya dig?

Like snowdog said, it doesn't really matter because they will always find a way around the "rules" to keep The Doctor around, I'm just saying it's jumping to conclusions to assume that he definitely has 12 more.

Okay I actually left a sentence out when I wrote this, let's edit:

The origins of the term "regeneration cycle" in Doctor Who come from the 20th Anniversary episode The Five Doctors, where the High Council of the Time Lords offer the Master, who was presently out of regenerations and could only live by stealing bodies, a new regeneration cycle. It's the old series term for the full life of a Time Lord, all 13 lives.  Given that Moffat directly referenced the episode in question in the Time of the Doctor-when the Doctor mentions taking the seal of the High Council from the Master-it's a safe bet that he's suggesting the definition to be another 13 Doctors, not that they'll have to answer this question in a couple years down the line.

As the series has defined it previously-and as the hardcore fanboys will most definitely argue for it-regeneration cycle means 13 more Doctors. Capaldi plus 12 more, barring any incidents that are like how 10 saving his life with regeneration energy became a regeneration after the fact.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 09:49:29 AM by Jaq »
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #3016 on: December 28, 2013, 11:52:30 PM »
Ahh, gotcha. Like I said before, I am not up on my lingo and wasn't familiar with that term or episode. Without the history it could mean either thing, but obviously the term comes with more baggage than I knew!
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #3017 on: December 31, 2013, 03:22:04 AM »
Pretty interesting read, mainly criticising Moffat in Smith-era seasons. https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/print/2013/12/the-captain-kirk-problem-how-em-doctor-who-em-betrayed-matt-smith/282690/

Spoilers, of course.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3018 on: December 31, 2013, 04:54:21 AM »
Pretty interesting read, mainly criticising Moffat in Smith-era seasons. https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/print/2013/12/the-captain-kirk-problem-how-em-doctor-who-em-betrayed-matt-smith/282690/

Spoilers, of course.
That guy needs to get a life.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3019 on: December 31, 2013, 05:01:27 AM »
:lol

While there are one or two legit criticisms in there (such as Clara not having much opportunity to grow yet beyond a basic companion plot device), it mostly reads like a pseudo-intelligent rant by someone who thought their opinion matters because they have an internet connection and tvtropes bookmarked.

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #3020 on: December 31, 2013, 05:22:34 AM »
I didn't read it all but some of his points could be attributed to Tennant as well; the bragging certainly could be. Tennant had a thing for announcing that he was a Time Lord from Gallifrey, and he was old, and blah blah blah...

I love the Christmas special but did anyone notice how odd it was that they didn't really explain how the Doctor with seemingly no technology managed to hold off all those enemies for about a 1000 years? Or did I missed something?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3021 on: December 31, 2013, 05:29:33 AM »
I didn't read it all but some of his points could be attributed to Tennant as well; the bragging certainly could be. Tennant had a thing for announcing that he was a Time Lord from Gallifrey, and he was old, and blah blah blah...

By the later Tennant episodes, he would often announce that he was the doctor, and that the aliens could either leave, or he'd make them. He was equally arrogant in the RTD era. I actually like that the doctor has a natural tendency for arrogance and self importance and over-confidence, and that his companions help humble him a bit. I think the RTD era did a good job of that.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3022 on: December 31, 2013, 07:29:28 AM »
The irony is that the writer of that article is horribly arrogant. He literally doesn't believe that the surge in popularity of the show could possibly be because of how good it is. He doesn't like it, therefore it must be bad, and there must be other reasons for its popularity.

I only read the first few paragraphs but that's enough for me. What a clown! :lol

I be am boner inducing.

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #3023 on: December 31, 2013, 07:33:48 AM »

By the later Tennant episodes, he would often announce that he was the doctor, and that the aliens could either leave, or he'd make them. He was equally arrogant in the RTD era. I actually like that the doctor has a natural tendency for arrogance and self importance and over-confidence, and that his companions help humble him a bit. I think the RTD era did a good job of that.

The Time Lord Victorious!

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3024 on: December 31, 2013, 07:52:49 AM »
Yeah, that's a good point about Tenant actually. Swagger =/= arrogance. Towards the end, the 10th Doctor was far more arrogant than the 11th ever was. And the 6th Doctor was the most arrogant of the lot.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #3025 on: December 31, 2013, 08:02:58 AM »
No kidding about the 6th Doctor. All the Doctors have been arrogant to a degree but 6 I couldn't watch. I tried watching the first few episodes of him and he is just an asshole. 4 was arrogant and could be an asshole but he always did it with charm and humour.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3026 on: December 31, 2013, 09:45:41 AM »
Aren't the various incarnations of the Doctor supposed to have different personalities/quirks?  Isn't that part of the point?  Then it would make perfect sense that some would be more or less "arrogant" than others.

What an asshat.

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #3027 on: December 31, 2013, 09:47:51 AM »
Yeah that's the point; doesn't mean I have to like them all.  :lol

The asshat.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3028 on: December 31, 2013, 09:56:09 AM »
No kidding about the 6th Doctor. All the Doctors have been arrogant to a degree but 6 I couldn't watch. I tried watching the first few episodes of him and he is just an asshole. 4 was arrogant and could be an asshole but he always did it with charm and humour.
Oh you should stick with him, he eases up a lot. In his first story (The Twin Dilemma) his behaviour is outrageous as a side-effect of the regeneration, but with each story he gets more empathetic, and he has a good humour to him. But yeah, still the most arrogant Doctor we've had.

However...

Aren't the various incarnations of the Doctor supposed to have different personalities/quirks?  Isn't that part of the point?  Then it would make perfect sense that some would be more or less "arrogant" than others.

What an asshat.
Exactly. That's part of the joy of the show, and one of the key reasons it has lasted so long!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #3029 on: December 31, 2013, 01:12:08 PM »

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #3030 on: December 31, 2013, 09:08:52 PM »
Harry really needed to show Sarah-Jane his pimp hand. She was such an insufferable bitch to him....Sorry watching some 4th Doctor lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3031 on: January 01, 2014, 04:41:04 AM »
Tom Baker FTW

BTW, last night BBCAmerica showed "The End of Time" at midnight for New Year's.  But no way I could stay up to watch the whole thing again lol.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #3032 on: January 01, 2014, 05:21:07 PM »

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #3033 on: January 04, 2014, 12:01:52 PM »
My brother is so pissed about the Xmas special, he thinks it's such a travesty. :lol Like sure, I didn't love it, but then again I was only there for the regeneration anyway, and that was good enough that I didn't mind the rest.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3034 on: January 04, 2014, 01:38:18 PM »
It might have been the weakest of the last three episodes, but it was far from a travesty

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3035 on: January 04, 2014, 03:38:31 PM »
It might have been the weakest of the last three episodes, but it was far from a travesty
This

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #3036 on: January 04, 2014, 03:40:10 PM »
Yeah, and who would want the task of following up the 50th and trying to make it an even better celebration? I'm glad it was a different beast entirely.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3037 on: January 04, 2014, 04:46:09 PM »

So that would be The Name/Day/Time of the Doctor as the last 3? I thought the Christmas special was much better than The Name of the Doctor, although not as good as the 50th, so I was completely happy with it.
What is it about the Christmas special that some people hate anyway? ???

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #3038 on: January 04, 2014, 06:23:08 PM »
I think people hate (for some reason) the idea of having an older Doctor. I actually think it's a breath of fresh air, and even if I were to prefer a younger Doctor, Capaldi is too great to hate the change anyway.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline adameastment

« Reply #3039 on: January 04, 2014, 06:31:12 PM »
I think people hate (for some reason) the idea of having an older Doctor. I actually think it's a breath of fresh air, and even if I were to prefer a younger Doctor, Capaldi is too great to hate the change anyway.

Capaldi doesn't even *look* that old though, and he's only like 12 years (or so) older than what Tennant is now. People need to get a grip  :D

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3040 on: January 04, 2014, 06:34:45 PM »

Do people really dislike an episode based on the new Doctor's 15 seconds of screen time?

I think it's good they cast an older Doctor, as it keeps it fresh to have variety with each Doctor. I haven't seen much Capaldi, but I've seen enough to be optimistic until I've at least seen him in a whole episode to judge properly. Hopefully once we've seen him in action, people will change their tune.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #3041 on: January 04, 2014, 06:47:32 PM »
They actually were going to go with an older Doctor for 11, but Matt Smith just wowed them so they changed their minds. The Doctor is centuries old and an alien, him turning into an older self shouldn't bug anyone.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3042 on: January 04, 2014, 06:55:25 PM »
I want the next Doctor to be a black chick, just to see people flip out.

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #3043 on: January 04, 2014, 07:08:15 PM »
I want the next Doctor to be a black chick, just to see people flip out.

As long as it's not a black male. I don't why but every time I hear a black male's British accent it annoys me. I was hoping Micky would die.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #3044 on: January 04, 2014, 07:16:02 PM »
Um, I'm pretty sure they don't all have the same voice  :lol

As for the older Doctor thing, I have heard a lot of people complain about that and I don't get it. I am happy about it, personally.