Author Topic: Doctor Who  (Read 216494 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: Doctor Who
« Reply #2940 on: December 25, 2013, 05:30:04 PM »
Aside from being set in a town called Christmas (which wasn't really necessary to the story at all), it wasn't too sentimental and Christmas-y as they often are. I'm not a big fan of Christmas episodes, but this was more in line with the most recent few episodes than the usual Christmas episodes, so even if you're not a fan of the Christmas episodes, you'll probably like it.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #2941 on: December 25, 2013, 06:03:17 PM »
For those who have watched already, take a look here. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2986512/reviews?ref_=tt_urv I don't understand, I really loved it and I'm more than perfectly OK with how everything was handled. I don't get their gripes.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #2942 on: December 25, 2013, 06:09:20 PM »
Well, that review is full of shit. I mean, it can almost literally be applied to any Who episode or special. He's just throwing around insults with nothing to back his reasoning and oversimplifying things.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2943 on: December 25, 2013, 06:10:11 PM »
For those who have watched already, take a look here. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2986512/reviews?ref_=tt_urv I don't understand, I really loved it and I'm more than perfectly OK with how everything was handled. I don't get their gripes.
Like I said, everything will be hated by someone, and the only people rushing to tell the world their thoghts on IMDB a couple of hours after the episode aired will be the angriest ones. I read about half of that first review, and the guy didn't even understand the episode.

Like I said, why would that bother you? Just ignore what other people think and make up your own mind!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2944 on: December 25, 2013, 06:16:01 PM »
I can't help it, I'm minimally bothered when I'm awestruck and emotionally hit by something and a few seconds later I read people saying it was awful.  :lol

I should better avoid further readings for a couple days.

Anyway, my impression is that it was the greatest possible sendoff that could have ever fitted a 60 minutes episode. Matt Smith delivered the performance of a lifetime, he was nothing short of spectacular and his last lines themselves could summarize how I feel about his tenure and the passing of his Doctor.

And yes, some tears were shed under this roof. :)
- Marco

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2945 on: December 25, 2013, 06:16:08 PM »
That guy didn't seem to understand all of the story arcs this deals with at all. A lot of these things that appear for a few seconds are understood if you've been following the story arcs of the recent seasons of the show. It does move fast, but it's not randomly thrown in at all. It's tying up and dealing with many things we've seen before.

And I thought it was funny how they worked in Matt Smith's shaved head.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #2946 on: December 25, 2013, 06:19:07 PM »
The only thing I thought could have been done much better was the way they dealt with the whole regeneration thing at the end. But I expect them to flesh it out and give us more details on how that worked in the future.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2947 on: December 25, 2013, 06:23:23 PM »
I like that every regeneration seems to be a little bit different, and given the unusual circumstances of his regeneration this time, I'm fine with it being a little odd. I can think of a few good justifications for it, so I'm sure they have a good explanation for it too.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #2948 on: December 25, 2013, 06:39:50 PM »
Thirty minutes! I'm so excited.

On the topic of people ragging on the episode or the show in general-- I can't stand people like that. It's like they sit, watching the episode for every flaw possible, pinpointing on every little detail they don't agree with. It's so annoying. I can understand criticism when things could have definitely been better, but some people seem to just hate for the sake of hating or being overly angry. Can't you just watch an episode and enjoy it?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2949 on: December 25, 2013, 07:01:18 PM »
Thirty minutes! I'm so excited.

On the topic of people ragging on the episode or the show in general-- I can't stand people like that. It's like they sit, watching the episode for every flaw possible, pinpointing on every little detail they don't agree with. It's so annoying. I can understand criticism when things could have definitely been better, but some people seem to just hate for the sake of hating or being overly angry. Can't you just watch an episode and enjoy it?

Criticism is fine and all, but in the end it comes down to whether you still enjoy the show or not, and if the flaws are that bad that it ruins the show for them, I don't know why they would waste their time watching it at all other than to bitch about it.
I could point out flaws here and there in many episodes (after all, it is a show involving time travel!), but episodes such as The Time of the Doctor have been so enjoyable that it doesn't affect my enjoyment of the show at all.

And I really love what they've done with the recent story progression from The Name of the Doctor onwards.
We had the Doctor's death on Trenzalore in The Name of the Doctor due to him having no more regenerations, then we had him save Gallifrey in The Day of the Doctor, and now in The Time of the Doctor, the survival of Gallifrey has changed the timeline on Trenzalore so that he survives.

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #2950 on: December 25, 2013, 08:32:56 PM »
Yeah, it looks like they've gone back to the timelords not being jerks and actually friendly towards The Doctor.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2951 on: December 25, 2013, 09:17:40 PM »
THAT. WAS. FANTASTIC.

One of Matt's best performances, easily, and his final scene was so emotional. Also, the last scene with Handles was really sad for me for some reason.

@El JoNNo-- I don't know. The Doctor mentioned Rassilon, the Council, and the Master in regards to them coming through the gap and saying that all hell would break loose if the time lords got back through. He wanted to protect them and help them, though, because he wants them to return, but at that point and time it wasn't right for them to come back through because of the large surplus of Daleks and other assorted enemies. If they'd returned then, the Doctor couldn't have tried to handle Rassilon and the Council breaking through because everything would have immediately turned to war and destruction for everyone ("the Time War will begin anew). However, I believe the real reason they gifted the Doctor a new regeneration cycle is because he's really their only hope in returning from the parallel universe, and with him dead, they'd have no help.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #2952 on: December 25, 2013, 10:39:31 PM »
I thought I could maybe watch this at my bro's tonight but they ended up not having BBC America  :(
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #2953 on: December 26, 2013, 06:16:02 AM »
Dat episode. It was strange, heartbreaking, and so good. Old Matt Smith was weird to see, because even though the Doctor is 1200+ years old, you never really think of him as "being" old. And ohhh man, I am so excited for spring 2014 now.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2954 on: December 26, 2013, 07:23:52 AM »
More like August 2014. :D

As for the episode again, I personally feel this was a better and more fitting conclusion to the Doctor's life that The End Of Time was. Personally, of course.
- Marco

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2955 on: December 26, 2013, 07:29:00 AM »

FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

So this episode was my Christmas episode, and it looks like the start of the new season will be my birthday present. :P

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #2956 on: December 26, 2013, 08:17:24 AM »

As for the episode again, I personally feel this was a better and more fitting conclusion to the Doctor's life that The End Of Time was. Personally, of course.

It's interesting, I felt like I wasn't as sad at the end of End of Time, because I was just so excited about seeing my first regeneration. I don't know, this special made me regret Smith's departure way more than Tennant's, even though I still LOVE Tennant and miss him as a Doctor.

https://hoppedonpop.com/2013/12/26/the-time-of-the-doctor-2013/

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2957 on: December 26, 2013, 01:23:09 PM »
On a second rewatch, I still love it. While I think the ending really overshadowed the rest of the episode, it was still a great episode, and a proper sendoff. Of course I wish we could have more of Matt Smith, but eh the 60th anniversary will be here before you know it. (Plus the 10th anniversary of NewWho is very soon, wonder if they'll do anything for that!)

In either case, I loved how in his last scene Matt looked young again but he was still playing the old Doctor who had lived so long on Trenzalore. His mannerisms and how he acted overall just felt odd, but still very 11. And the Amy hallucination is still so sad.

Goodbye... and thank you, Matt Smith. We loved you, and we'll miss you.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2958 on: December 26, 2013, 01:47:06 PM »
That was excellent. I'm going to miss Matt Smith so much, and how about that cameo?

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2959 on: December 26, 2013, 02:48:58 PM »
And on to The Three Doctors we go

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2960 on: December 26, 2013, 07:00:30 PM »
That was excellent. I'm going to miss Matt Smith so much, and how about that cameo?
That was usually the case in the classic series, the Doctor would get visions of his recent companions before regenerating. It was only really Tenant who actually went and visited every one of his companions. Emotional and everything, but just a little bit too over the top for me. I thought this was a much lovelier way to do it!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #2961 on: December 26, 2013, 07:05:06 PM »
I agree I loved both the 9th and 11th regeneration. I've watched that last scene so many time because I just simply loved the way 11 handles his death. 10's, on the other hand, I didn't care for. He kind of went out like a wimp. I suppose since he was alone he didn't really have to be brave but they gave 9 and 11 a brave send off they should of for 10 as well.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2962 on: December 26, 2013, 07:12:32 PM »
Finally watched it.

I've been critical of the show during all seasons, but I thought it was a pretty quality episodes.

I think I'm gonna like the new Doctor.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2963 on: December 26, 2013, 07:12:57 PM »
I actually really liked 10's regeneration. Very conclusive and fitting for the Doctor who didn't want to leave.

I enjoyed this regeneration too, with the initial fake-out reveal when you saw him walk up the steps, then the vision of Amy, then the quick head whip into Capaldi (although I do so like to get a good morph).
And I thought it was a nice touch that he took the bowtie off before changing. That's such a signature Smith thing now.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #2964 on: December 26, 2013, 07:32:39 PM »
I agree about the head-whip and the bowtie, though I didn't really get why he had to go back to young-looking Matt Smith before regenerating.

Anyway, I really enjoyed it overall. Feel like I need to watch it again for more commentary.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #2965 on: December 26, 2013, 07:35:24 PM »
I imagine he went back just so they could have a goodbye scene.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2966 on: December 26, 2013, 07:39:05 PM »
I imagine he went back just so they could have a goodbye scene.

I think that's mostly it.
You could try and justify it with being an atypical regeneration, and the surge of regeneration energy from the Time Lords healing him back to health before the actual regeneration itself took place. Because he didn't actually die, did he? Receiving the energy in that way might have healed him and taken out the ships, but might not have actually been part of the regeneration itself. Or he might have simply held off until he could say goodbye to Clara. I don't know.

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #2967 on: December 26, 2013, 07:43:33 PM »
Come to think of it though 10 healed completely before he regenerated. He had all those cuts but they all healed, it was even commented on by what's-his-name. Perhaps that's what they are doing now, a kind of generation reset and then the regeneration happens.

Or they just wanted a proper send off..lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2968 on: December 26, 2013, 07:49:44 PM »
I think they invented the former to satisfy the latter requirement! I'm ok with it, as 10 and 11 both got great send offs.
And it looks like 12's adjustment period might be just as shaky as 11's. :lol I can't wait.

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #2969 on: December 26, 2013, 07:57:23 PM »
I think they invented the former to satisfy the latter requirement! I'm ok with it, as 10 and 11 both got great send offs.
Agreed, I like the idea of an emotional farewell. Doctor Who is a show with great emotion and you get attached to the characters. It's like a respectful "goodbye and thank you for having me as the Doctor and being great fans".
And it looks like 12's adjustment period might be just as shaky as 11's. :lol I can't wait.
I hope they'll be in danger and his delirious state makes for some hilarity.  ;D

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2970 on: December 26, 2013, 08:53:17 PM »
This isn't directed to anyone in this thread, but Doctor Who has got to be one of the most harshly judged shows ever. Every time there's a new episode, my news feed erupts with fan critiques. As someone here told me early one, Doctor Who has a bit of something for everyone, so it's obviously not going to please everyone all of the time.

Doctor Who, pretty much the Dream Theater of TV shows.

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #2971 on: December 26, 2013, 08:54:32 PM »
This isn't directed to anyone in this thread, but Doctor Who has got to be one of the most harshly judged shows ever. Every time there's a new episode, my news feed erupts with fan critiques. As someone here told me early one, Doctor Who has a bit of something for everyone, so it's obviously not going to please everyone all of the time.

Dream Theater Who?

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2972 on: December 27, 2013, 01:47:51 AM »
I have to agree with your point, PC. Definitely the DT of TV shows.
- Marco

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #2973 on: December 27, 2013, 03:37:34 AM »
I actually really liked 10's regeneration. Very conclusive and fitting for the Doctor who didn't want to leave.

I enjoyed this regeneration too, with the initial fake-out reveal when you saw him walk up the steps, then the vision of Amy, then the quick head whip into Capaldi (although I do so like to get a good morph).
And I thought it was a nice touch that he took the bowtie off before changing. That's such a signature Smith thing now.

Yeah, I can't say I disliked any Doctor's regeneration in the reboot, although I think this one is making me miss Smith more even though I'm excited for Capaldi. I dunno, I liked when Tennant visited Rose and co., and I liked his "I don't want to go," but I think I also felt at the time that he had a good run and his time was about up. I mean he had three sets of companions to Smith's two - that felt like a much longer tenure.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2974 on: December 27, 2013, 04:03:36 AM »

Absolutely, and that's a great analogy as well.

Fortunately I'm someone who gets into the spirit of a show/band and enjoys the different side of something quite varied. So with both DW and DT there are parts I'm less on keen on but I enjoy pretty much all of it and absolutely love some of it.

Come to think of it though 10 healed completely before he regenerated. He had all those cuts but they all healed, it was even commented on by what's-his-name. Perhaps that's what they are doing now, a kind of generation reset and then the regeneration happens.
Bingo. I don't remember it from any previous Doctors so I think it's a device that RTD invented for Tenant to look pristine in his final scenes, but I think that's nice, and it worked well for Smith too.

I be am boner inducing.