Author Topic: Doctor Who  (Read 216409 times)

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
Re: Doctor Who
« Reply #2905 on: December 23, 2013, 07:18:03 AM »
Finally caught up.

The Day of the Doctor was really good! However, I do feel like they left the door wide open for all 3 Doctors to continue to appear on the show alongside Capaldi. Am I wrong about that?

Stupid Eccelston and his stupidness should have returned for a regeneration scene. GRR!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2906 on: December 23, 2013, 07:20:19 AM »
Finally caught up.

The Day of the Doctor was really good! However, I do feel like they left the door wide open for all 3 Doctors to continue to appear on the show alongside Capaldi. Am I wrong about that?
I think you are, yeah. Both Tenant and Hurt's Doctors have no recolletion of the events after they leave, and Smith will be the one regenerating into Capaldi. Unless you mean the sequence where all the Doctors come together including Capaldi's, but that was just a bit of fun. Apart from this special, Moffat is quite strictly one-Doctor-at-a-time.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2907 on: December 23, 2013, 07:22:49 AM »
Oh yeah, it slipped my mind that they had "forgotten".

Looking forward to more of a mature Doctor in Capaldi. I like Tennant and Smith, but both are pretty silly, comical guys. I'm sure Capaldi will bring plenty of comical moments himself, but I'd like to see him have a more serious (i.e. Eccleston) demeanor.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #2908 on: December 23, 2013, 08:01:17 AM »
I don't want him to go  :sadpanda:
I love Matt Smith as the Doctor, but I'm really excited about Capaldi as well!

Who said I'm not? :D I'm ENORMOUSLY excited to see a new Doctor, and frankly I'm not sure how I will tolerate the long wait before we see anything from Series 8. But MS is my favourite doctor, and although I love him even more for quitting at the peak of his doctorish splendour, I won't even try not to be sad the moment he bows and goes in a fountain of light.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #2909 on: December 23, 2013, 10:23:41 AM »
I'm interested in how they're executing this generation too. Apparently Capaldi Doctor thinks at first that he's still Smith.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #2910 on: December 23, 2013, 10:26:33 AM »
I'm interested in how they're executing this generation too. Apparently Capaldi Doctor thinks at first that he's still Smith.
Where did you come across this?

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #2911 on: December 23, 2013, 11:01:12 AM »
Where did you come across this?

https://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/moffat-on-smiths-regeneration-54034.htm

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #2912 on: December 23, 2013, 11:07:16 AM »
Cool, glad they're sticking with the regeneration confusion.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2913 on: December 23, 2013, 04:15:57 PM »
You have to ask yourself why doesn't the Doctor install a mirror in the TARDIS? lol

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #2914 on: December 23, 2013, 04:39:33 PM »
He used to have one; the Fifth Doctor is seen looking at his new self in one episode.

Offline adameastment

« Reply #2915 on: December 23, 2013, 04:57:20 PM »
Finally caught up.

I think you are, yeah. Both Tenant and Hurt's Doctors have no recolletion of the events after they leave, and Smith will be the one regenerating into Capaldi. Unless you mean the sequence where all the Doctors come together including Capaldi's, but that was just a bit of fun. Apart from this special, Moffat is quite strictly one-Doctor-at-a-time.

Not only that, it's kind of suggested that this episodes was between the Tennant specials, at least, somewhere before The End of Time as Good Queen Bess and all that. Which means that even if he did have a recollection it wouldn't matter too much because he'd be Smith pretty soon haha. The same goes for Hurts Doctor, he regenerates straight after leaving the timeline.

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #2916 on: December 23, 2013, 05:22:56 PM »
Sorry back to the age thing. In the Night of the Doctor we see 8 regenerate into Hurt but you can see that hurt is younger. He must have been super old by the time he decides everyone must go.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2917 on: December 23, 2013, 08:26:47 PM »
Sorry back to the age thing. In the Night of the Doctor we see 8 regenerate into Hurt but you can see that hurt is younger. He must have been super old by the time he decides everyone must go.

I noticed that when rewatching The Night of the Doctor the other day. I like that this doctor was battle worn and had probably been worn down by at least decades of fighting and bloodshed before he made such an impactful choice as wiping out his entire race for the sake of the universe.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #2918 on: December 23, 2013, 08:36:32 PM »
I heard an interesting theory that the War Doctor aged so much (since 11's been around for like, 300 years already and hasn't shown a sign of aging, War Doc must have been around for ten times that) that along with not counting The War Doctor as an actual Doctor that he doesn't count the years he lived as the War Doctor towards his age, either. Because seriously-- War Doc must've been fighting the Time War for ages.

Then again, the Time War wasn't linear at all. Thousands of years of fighting could've taken place in the span of a day or so, who really knows.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2919 on: December 23, 2013, 08:45:35 PM »
It was called the time war, so I think it's safe to assume that the length of "time" it went for is not really measurable or relevant in a linear sense, as you said. And given that, who knows how long the war doctor fought in it.
Given the nature of the show, I think it's probably for the best they're keeping his age vague now, as it gives them more room to work in these things. His age has been contradicted so often over the show's 50 year history, that it's not important any more.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2920 on: December 24, 2013, 01:22:55 AM »
since 11's been around for like, 300 years already and hasn't shown a sign of aging,
Really? I've heard others say this before but I think Smith as the Doctor has looked much older recently, especially since series 6. I don't know if it's intentional on the part of Moffat or the directors, or if it's just Matt Smith being such a great actor but the difference between his 900 year old and 1200 year old selves is striking.

Given the nature of the show, I think it's probably for the best they're keeping his age vague now, as it gives them more room to work in these things. His age has been contradicted so often over the show's 50 year history, that it's not important any more.
Completely agreed, and that seems to be Moffat's view as well. :tup

I be am boner inducing.

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #2921 on: December 24, 2013, 07:03:28 AM »
I noticed that when rewatching The Night of the Doctor the other day. I like that this doctor was battle worn and had probably been worn down by at least decades of fighting and bloodshed before he made such an impactful choice as wiping out his entire race for the sake of the universe.
Probably thousands of years given the 11's comment on being centuries old.

Completely agreed, and that seems to be Moffat's view as well. :tup
[/quote]

According to the wiki the contradictions are intentional.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2922 on: December 24, 2013, 04:43:18 PM »
Fan wikis (ie. fanbases) tend to go out of their way to try and justify contradictions so that the canon remains consistent, so I sometimes take those things with a grain of salt. :lol

Offline adameastment

« Reply #2923 on: December 24, 2013, 04:53:47 PM »
Ok, so my theories on the Christmas Day episode:

1. The woman in the trailer is someone from the Doctor's past, personally, I'd hope it was the Rani. Or another Time Lord, there have been a lot of Omega symbols with the army since Series 6. I kinda hope that the woman is the female Omega :P

2. We've seen the alliance before in the end of Series 5, they were joined by a few more of the old favourites then, but I reckon that's who we're going to see.

3. The Doctor will be forced to regenerate, rather than willingly do it. I only think this because of the trailer when Clara says help him change the future (ref to Name of the Doctor).

Also, question, surely if the Doctor stops himself "falling" on Trenzalore, then does The Name of the Doctor still stand as a canonical episode? Because technically it would have been rewritten. UNLESS, during the Time of the Doctor they jump forward in time to post NoTD and fix the Tardis. Who knows, we'll find out in less than 24 hours :D

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2924 on: December 25, 2013, 04:20:04 AM »
My theory on the Christmas Day episode is:

It's going to kick major ass.

On the question of overwriting the Trenzalore timeline, I doubt it will affect the canonical status or events of that episode. The number of times the Doctor would have created similar paradoxes in his own timeline by altering time would be astronomical, so I think it's a non issue. This episode will just change that fate.

And my own question, what time does this air in the UK? I want to know how many hours until all is revealed!

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2925 on: December 25, 2013, 04:29:25 AM »
Of course Name is going to stay canonical! It's not that "The Sound Of Drums" was made un-canonical by "The Last Of The Time Lords!"
- Marco

Offline adameastment

« Reply #2926 on: December 25, 2013, 05:57:37 AM »
My theory on the Christmas Day episode is:

It's going to kick major ass.

On the question of overwriting the Trenzalore timeline, I doubt it will affect the canonical status or events of that episode. The number of times the Doctor would have created similar paradoxes in his own timeline by altering time would be astronomical, so I think it's a non issue. This episode will just change that fate.

And my own question, what time does this air in the UK? I want to know how many hours until all is revealed!

7.30 this evening, it's gonna be awesome!

Of course Name is going to stay canonical! It's not that "The Sound Of Drums" was made un-canonical by "The Last Of The Time Lords!"

True, I guess canonical was the wrong way to say it. I meant more that did it technically happen? It's still a freaking awesome episode, but in terms of timelines etc I didn't *technically* happen. Me and a friend were having a big conversation on time travel and whether it was possible for such things to happen etc. But then I mentioned Timey Wimey and the conversation broke down a little ;)

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2927 on: December 25, 2013, 02:35:09 PM »
Oh my, Capaldi's entrance was FANTASTIC! So sudden. :lol

Really great episode, so many lovely moments, but I'm really going to have to watch it again to take it all in.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2928 on: December 25, 2013, 02:57:39 PM »
Ok, let's rise the SPOILER barriers and let's just talk about the episode and not what was in it! (I'm still in the process of getting it)

Was it good? Was it an "excellent addiction to any Doctor Who 'Greatest Of' list"?  :)
- Marco

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #2929 on: December 25, 2013, 03:35:06 PM »
Wow... it was superbly done. Exceeded my expectations for sure.

It makes the wait for new episodes all the worse. Sherlock can't start soon enough as well!
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 03:43:24 PM by abydos »

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2930 on: December 25, 2013, 03:47:03 PM »
I gave in to temptation and read TWO comments from random people on FB. Both said it was awful and I was getting really afraid of it being a dud for real. Can you guarantee those two guys are nuts?  :sadpanda:
- Marco

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #2931 on: December 25, 2013, 03:55:49 PM »
I think I can guarantee that. Do you know if those guys enjoyed the second part of S7 or the 50th anniversary episode? Those weren't as good as I wanted them to be (imo) but this one is much better than them.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2932 on: December 25, 2013, 03:57:33 PM »
I don't even know their names. Those were just two random comments on the DWHub FB page! For all I know they could both be the fearsome "pls bring RTD baaaack" kind of fans  :lol
- Marco

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #2933 on: December 25, 2013, 03:59:31 PM »
Meh, don't pay any attention to them then. I love what RTD did despite its flaws but I wouldn't want that back. I'd say it's a safe bet that you will enjoy this immensely :).

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #2934 on: December 25, 2013, 04:10:42 PM »
If you are a fan of Doctor Who and you don't like the Christmas Special you aren't a fan of Doctor Who, that simple. Won't lie, the ending got me right in the heart. Beautiful send off to Matt Smith.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #2935 on: December 25, 2013, 04:23:59 PM »
The christmas specials are usually shit.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #2936 on: December 25, 2013, 04:31:23 PM »
Ugh, I have to wait till midnight to see the second broadcast. :\

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2937 on: December 25, 2013, 05:09:18 PM »
I don't even know their names. Those were just two random comments on the DWHub FB page! For all I know they could both be the fearsome "pls bring RTD baaaack" kind of fans  :lol
Why would you care what two random people you don't even know think about it? Literally EVERYTHING has some people who hate it.

I loved it.

You make your own mind up!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2938 on: December 25, 2013, 05:20:47 PM »
Who could possibly think that was shit? More like HOLY SHIT! I just finished watching it, and I loved it. A thorough send-off for Matt Smith, and I loved the way it dealt with many story threads, and the re-generation issue.

I was hoping to get at least a minute or two more of Capaldi, but I was happy with his entrance. Not enough to judge anything yet, but I'm excited for his first true episode.

Did anyone else expect that Clara was going to remember the Doctor's name when she was speaking through the crack? She remembered a few things in The Name of the Doctor, so I thought maybe she'd recall it there, although it still worked out nicely.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #2939 on: December 25, 2013, 05:26:46 PM »
The christmas specials are usually shit.
I've actually enjoyed most of the specials so far.

Voyage, End of Time, Christmas Carol, Snowmen. The Doctor, the Widow and the Wardrobe  was enjoyable too although it's weaker than the rest. And Runaway Bride had some awesome moments as well.