Author Topic: Doctor Who  (Read 216361 times)

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Doctor Who
« Reply #2835 on: December 08, 2013, 05:00:27 PM »
Just finished the first two episodes of S7.

The show is getting... interesting!

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #2836 on: December 08, 2013, 07:21:39 PM »
By the way, have you noticed anything odd about the time stream in those S7 episodes? ;)

So I've decided to begin a most sadistic undertaking: I'm watching classic Doctor Who, from Hartnell to McCoy. I just finished the first story this afternoon, and right now I'm in the middle of the one with the Daleks.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2837 on: December 08, 2013, 08:50:29 PM »

:lol Now I'm hearing that post in Capaldi's voice. I hope you're happy.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2838 on: December 09, 2013, 09:28:09 AM »
I liked River. :lol
Same here.

Blob is crazy, yo.

Also, at a BFI event Moffat was asked about the 13 regeneration limit and he confirmed what could be inferred from previous comments about the 10th Doctor using up a regeneration at the end of Series 4 - which means that Matt Smith, although the 11th Doctor, is in fact in his 13th and final regenerative state.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2839 on: December 09, 2013, 09:33:13 AM »
But I thought there was another Doctor  ???

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2840 on: December 09, 2013, 11:53:20 AM »
Maybe it is ... another Doctor, and not Doctor Who at all.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2841 on: December 09, 2013, 12:03:49 PM »
Maybe it is ... another Doctor, and not Doctor Who at all.
No, as in the Day of the Doctor he is referred by the Time Lords as being another regeneration of the Doctor.

He'll have found a way to beat the system, like the Master did, only I doubt the Doctor will do it by killing someone.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2842 on: December 09, 2013, 12:04:43 PM »
*shrugs*
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #2843 on: December 09, 2013, 12:14:32 PM »
I highly doubt they would pull something as risky as having a totally different Time Lord and just dubbing him the Doctor. Moffat will find some shortcut/deus ex machina like always.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2844 on: December 13, 2013, 05:06:24 AM »
Just finished "The Angels Take Manhattan".

Pretty good episode.

I hafta say, though: whenever the Doctor's companions leave, I always feel like it was overdue for them to go. Which always makes me feel ambivalent about it.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #2845 on: December 13, 2013, 05:09:27 AM »
Donna not so much, but Amy and Rory definitely. I was so sick of them by the time of Angels.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2846 on: December 13, 2013, 05:12:22 AM »
Yeah, 2.5 seasons is more than enough.

Donna, I dunno. More of her would have peeved me. Martha, though... would have been nice to see her do a bit more.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2847 on: December 13, 2013, 05:35:12 AM »
I'm up to the first episode of S7, so still a little bit to go before The Angels Take Manhattan. I feel that Amy and Rory finished on a good note at the end of S6, and with the Christmas episode, so going into S7 I do feel they're beginning to overstay their welcome, and I didn't realize they were still in it at this point. I've enjoyed them as companions and all, but I feel their arc has run its course.

And after it was revealed that River Song was Amy and Rory's kid, I found her arc overall less annoying. I still groaned every damn time she said SPOILERS or HELLO SWEETIE, because it was awful, but she actually had good story at that point beyond being the annoying smug bitch who thought she was superior to everyone else. That season came together pretty nicely.

And after they revealed the origin of her name, I was glad you guys didn't spoil that one for me with a smack in the face. Thanks. :lol  :blush

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2848 on: December 13, 2013, 05:53:40 AM »
but she actually had good story at that point beyond being the annoying smug bitch who thought she was superior to everyone else.
I think you're being very harsh on the character here, and on Alex Kingston's performance. There are so many moments and little touches that show how vulnerable she really is deep down.

And after they revealed the origin of her name, I was glad you guys didn't spoil that one for me with a smack in the face. Thanks. :lol  :blush
:lol That'll teach you to be pre-emptively judgemental. :P

I be am boner inducing.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2849 on: December 13, 2013, 06:11:00 AM »
but she actually had good story at that point beyond being the annoying smug bitch who thought she was superior to everyone else.
I think you're being very harsh on the character here, and on Alex Kingston's performance. There are so many moments and little touches that show how vulnerable she really is deep down.

She's easily the most annoying character in the entire show. At best she became tolerable enough for me not to skip over everything she said, which I honestly had to do on earlier episodes to get through them. Every time she opened her mouth I couldn't help but groan and roll my eyes.

She was a tired cliche character template, wrapped in the same two repetitive infuriating catchphrases repeated ad nauseam, wrapped in undeserved smugness, and not even good looking to distract me from how terrible a character she was.
Her last appearances were a major improvement, but she still detracted at least slightly from every episode she appeared in. The overall arc was really good, but from the very start they did a terribly poor job of creating a likeable character.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #2850 on: December 13, 2013, 06:11:58 AM »
Just wait till The Name of the Doctor.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2851 on: December 13, 2013, 06:18:53 AM »
Just wait till The Name of the Doctor.

I actually saw her in that one before seeing the rest (I watched The Day of the Doctor, The Name of the Doctor, then started from the beginning of the 2005 series). :lol It's a show about time travel, so I have chosen to watch it non linearly, in a fashion most befitting The Doctor. :P

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2852 on: December 13, 2013, 09:06:53 AM »
I disagree with everything you said, Blob (as in, everything in that post, not everything ever). But hey, that's what opinions are for.

EDIT: On an unrelated note, I've started to get into the Big Finish audio dramas, they're actually pretty good so far! Audio dramas are somethings that I've found myself more interested in recently (partly because of the brilliant BBC radio adaptation of Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere).

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2853 on: December 13, 2013, 09:31:56 AM »
She was a tired cliche character template, wrapped in the same two repetitive infuriating catchphrases repeated ad nauseam, wrapped in undeserved smugness, and not even good looking to distract me from how terrible a character she was.
Her last appearances were a major improvement, but she still detracted at least slightly from every episode she appeared in. The overall arc was really good, but from the very start they did a terribly poor job of creating a likeable character.

I have series issues with her character. I thought she seemed every abusive of Rory, and if it were flipped and Rory had her personality while Amy had Rory's, Rory would easily be considered among the series least favorite characters. But it's OK that Amy makes mean remarks to Rory and even strikes him occasionaly, cause, y'know, she's cute.

Also, her fawning over the Doctor was annoying, but that's ALWAYS annoying, no matter who does it.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2854 on: December 13, 2013, 09:47:16 AM »
Opinions vary, I guess.  I really liked Rory, Amy and River Song.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #2855 on: December 13, 2013, 10:06:11 AM »

I have series issues with her character. I thought she seemed every abusive of Rory, and if it were flipped and Rory had her personality while Amy had Rory's, Rory would easily be considered among the series least favorite characters. But it's OK that Amy makes mean remarks to Rory and even strikes him occasionaly, cause, y'know, she's cute.

Also, her fawning over the Doctor was annoying, but that's ALWAYS annoying, no matter who does it.

Yep: https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DoubleStandardAbuseFemaleOnMale?from=Main.AbuseIsOkayWhenItIsFemaleOnMale

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #2856 on: December 13, 2013, 08:58:47 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njNnTDiLOd4

Why aren't we discussing The Time of the Doctor trailer?! I might be more excited for this than I was for the 50th. Everything about the Silence arc is going to be wrapped up neatly, and we're getting a new Doctor. The music in the beginning of the trailer gives me goosebumps.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2857 on: December 13, 2013, 10:06:48 PM »
I hadn't seen the proper trailer for it yet. This looks like it could be the best Christmas episode they've had. I usually find the Christmas episodes a bit silly and cornball, but this looks like a big episode.

I hope we get to see a solid amount of the new doctor. He usually regenerate right at the end and we barely see him until the next episode, but from the trailer it seems like he might have an important part in this episode.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2858 on: December 14, 2013, 01:07:58 AM »
I think it'll still be very Christmassy - Matt Smith described it as "very funny". But yeah, should be damn epic too!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2859 on: December 14, 2013, 01:19:57 AM »
I think it'll still be very Christmassy - Matt Smith described it as "very funny". But yeah, should be damn epic too!

It definitely still looks very nice and Christmas-y with the snow and such, I just don't like it when it gets too sentimental and Christmas spirity, or too silly.
But this one looks like it's going to be an epic end to the great run leading up to the Doctor's regeneration. And I'll be all caught up by the time it airs, so this will be the first new episode I've anticipated as a fan. :D

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2860 on: December 14, 2013, 11:10:36 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3bGYljQ5Uw

Blob might like this from a CGI point of view.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2861 on: December 14, 2013, 06:06:30 PM »
Geez. Season 7 is just awful...

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #2862 on: December 14, 2013, 06:09:42 PM »
wut

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2863 on: December 14, 2013, 06:18:54 PM »
I'm sure you've never encountered that opinion before  :biggrin:

It's just not very good.

I really only liked 2-3 episodes in S6, while a bunch more were OK and some weren't very good, but so far in S7 there really hasn't been 1 episode I thought was exceptional. Thus far, I expect 2-3 episodes per season which I don't like, some which are just fine, and 2-3 which are absolutely awesome and memorable. But unless they're all crammed at the back of S7, I'm afraid that's not gonna happen.

I think "The Girl Who Waited" was the last really good episode. Prior to that, I really liked the Christmas Carol special. There were a few episodes in S5 that I really liked. But yeah, Davies/Tennant was definitely the peak. I'm totally getting that now.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #2864 on: December 14, 2013, 06:20:33 PM »
Maybe your reasons are different, but I also didn't really like Season 7.1, if only because I was so sick of Amy and Rory by then. Jenna Coleman brings some much needed variety in 7.2.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #2865 on: December 14, 2013, 06:21:13 PM »
Actually, I've never heard someone dislike S7. How far into the season have you gotten? It might be my favorite season.

Of course, I really liked S6 as well...

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2866 on: December 14, 2013, 06:22:24 PM »
Actually, I've never heard someone dislike S7. How far into the season have you gotten? It might be my favorite season.

Of course, I really liked S6 as well...

The last episode I watched was "Cold War".

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #2867 on: December 14, 2013, 06:27:33 PM »
So you didn't even like The Snowmen or The Bells Of Saint John? This makes me a sad panda. :sadpanda:

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #2868 on: December 14, 2013, 06:48:33 PM »
Yeah that's pretty "wut". The Snowmen is an amazing episode through and through, and Cold War is awesome too. If you don't like the next episode, Hide, well... then I don't have any other words for you because S7 is my favorite series thus far.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2869 on: December 14, 2013, 07:49:48 PM »
Yeah that's pretty "wut". The Snowmen is an amazing episode through and through, and Cold War is awesome too. If you don't like the next episode, Hide, well... then I don't have any other words for you because S7 is my favorite series thus far.
Well that's pretty contrary to most criticism thus far, so you can reserve the "wuts" for youself.

Didn't see Snowmen. Specials aren't on demand I guess.