Author Topic: Doctor Who  (Read 216468 times)

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
Re: Doctor Who
« Reply #2800 on: December 04, 2013, 09:18:52 AM »
I'm currently about halfway through S2. Love it so far! The Cybermen are epic. Only episode I didn't care much for was the episode which brought back The Last Human.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #2801 on: December 04, 2013, 09:37:37 AM »
I'm finished with series 3 now. My favourite episode of S3 by far was Blink. The fact it had less of the Doctor actually worked well and added to the mystery of the episode. I hope there are more episodes like this in later seasons!

Blink is a great episode and a fan favorite for a reason, but goddamn did Moffat overkill on the Weeping Angels.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #2802 on: December 04, 2013, 09:40:34 AM »
Agreed! I've said this before but I think Blink itself is a bit overrated, and not as "scary" as everyone seems to think. I do love the concept of it, and they are cool characters, but it's nowhere near my favorite episode.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2803 on: December 04, 2013, 09:44:15 AM »
I'm finished with series 3 now. My favourite episode of S3 by far was Blink. The fact it had less of the Doctor actually worked well and added to the mystery of the episode. I hope there are more episodes like this in later seasons!

Blink is a great episode and a fan favorite for a reason, but goddamn did Moffat overkill on the Weeping Angels.

I have no idea what episodes are liked or disliked, so it's all a blank slate for me! I haven't seen any other episodes with the weeping angels, but they feel like they work best as a one-shot deal. But we'll see!
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #2804 on: December 04, 2013, 10:29:13 AM »
They reappear in the Eleventh Doctor's run.

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #2805 on: December 04, 2013, 10:39:02 AM »

Overkill? May I introduce you to the Daleks or the Cybermen?

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #2806 on: December 04, 2013, 10:51:03 AM »
True, but they can get away with it because of how inextricably linked they are with the series itself - it wouldn't be Who at this point without them. The Weeping Angels on the other hand have sorta lost their thunder. It could be the Daleks were considered fearsome by audiences at one time and now we're just fine with them being cheesy but iconic. I dunno, it's hard to explain.

Offline Onno

« Reply #2807 on: December 04, 2013, 10:51:13 AM »
Regarding the Daleks and the Cybermen, I think they did an awesome job with them so far (halfway through S2). I mean, show pictures of them to random people who don't know Doctor Who and they will probably say they look like (ridiculous) old fashioned robots. But after seeing them appear in the show I have to say they don't come across like that at all. The makers of the show did a great job making them seem 'believeable'. This also applies to K-9.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #2808 on: December 04, 2013, 10:56:39 AM »
Ugh, K-9. Hated that thing.

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #2809 on: December 04, 2013, 10:57:58 AM »
They show up a lot more.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #2810 on: December 04, 2013, 11:00:25 AM »
For what it's worth, I haven't really seen a Weeping Angel episode I think is less than great, which is most definitely not the case for Daleks and Cybermen.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #2811 on: December 04, 2013, 11:19:03 AM »
I liked all Weeping Angels episodes a lot, and I am looking forward to them make an appearence again, sooner or later. The Vashta Nerada felt more one-shot villains to me, even though that one shot was to me the best in the series.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2812 on: December 04, 2013, 03:13:46 PM »
I thought Moffat said he was pretty much done with the Angels

Offline Onno

« Reply #2813 on: December 04, 2013, 03:51:17 PM »
Holy shit, I just watched The Impossible Planet. That was amazing. Gonna watch part 2 tomorrow.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #2814 on: December 04, 2013, 03:54:18 PM »
One of the best two-parters, and definitely the best episodes from S2.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2815 on: December 04, 2013, 04:13:34 PM »
Holy shit, I just watched The Impossible Planet. That was amazing. Gonna watch part 2 tomorrow.
Such a good two-parter, made it into my top 30.

And I think the Angels are a great villain. There is a risk of them becoming overused if Moffat were to keep bringing them back too often, but the three stories they've been in have used them in different ways and done clever things with them.

Blink is still the best one, what an amazing episode.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #2816 on: December 04, 2013, 04:37:22 PM »
After watching Blink and seeing all the statues and just thinking about statues in architecture creeped me out. Such a strong episode,  I can't recall anything else coming this close and having such an effect on me.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2817 on: December 04, 2013, 07:02:44 PM »
Blink was the first Who episode I ever watched. I will always have a soft spot for it.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2818 on: December 04, 2013, 09:03:42 PM »

That was a good one, but it was one of many Dr Who episodes where I wish it didn't have the monster/horror aspect though, or at least toned down substantially. A few times they'll set up a really interesting premise that I'm enjoying, then just throw in some kind of monster killing everyone, and I'm like "aw man".
That kind of episode is my least favourite in any show. But this one did come together pretty well at the end, so that's more of a general complaint.

Oh and I saw the Pompeii episode yesterday, with Peter Capaldi in it. It was kind of strange seeing the 10th Doctor saving the 12th Doctor!

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #2819 on: December 04, 2013, 09:17:07 PM »
I can't recall exactly, but I think Steven Moffatt has planned a reason for that particular occurrence.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2820 on: December 04, 2013, 09:18:15 PM »
I can't recall exactly, but I think Steven Moffatt has planned a reason for that particular occurence.

I hope not. It's one of those unnecessary things that is best explained by people just accepting that it's a damn TV show! :lol

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #2821 on: December 04, 2013, 09:19:14 PM »
Moffatt's kind of nerdy about those things though. :lol   It's one of the things that makes his work so good, at least for me.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2822 on: December 05, 2013, 09:49:13 AM »
I just watched The Stolen Earth/Journey's End. Great stuff. Yet again they screwed us over with the whole "someone will die" promise though. That's both Rose and Donna they've done that for now. :lol
But the ending for both characters was very touching, so I can't complain! :)

Turn Left was an excellent episode too. I loved how it went through the whole alternative history of the alien occurences on Earth without the Doctor. Neat idea.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2823 on: December 07, 2013, 07:21:46 AM »
What they did to Donna they did without choice was outright horrible and cruel. She got the worst treatment of all new companions.  :'(

What about Silence In The Library / Forest Of The Dead, iBlob?
- Marco

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2824 on: December 07, 2013, 07:36:19 AM »
What they did to Donna they did without choice was outright horrible and cruel. She got the worst treatment of all new companions.  :'(

What about Silence In The Library / Forest Of The Dead, iBlob?

Enjoyed the episode(s), but in the two appearances of River Song so far, I just want to punch her in the face. Is that her name? Am I getting that right? That's not even a name, it's two unrelated words put together.
She's such an arrogant jerk who thinks she's better than everyone because she hangs around with the doc in the future. I hate her so damn much. I wish they didn't waste the satisfaction of her "death" in her first appearance. SPOILERS. GRRRRRRRRR DIE AGAIN BITCH.

I've also seen her in The Name of the Doctor, which wasn't so bad (maybe because she's dead :P) but nothing inbetween yet. Just the library one, and the second appearance of the weeping angels, which was also a really good episode aside from her appearance.

I'm currently at 5x08. S4 ended pretty strong, and I'm enjoying the Matt Smith era so far. So many changes at once when he came in. I love the epic 7/8 (or is it 7/4?) theme they've started using in S5. I first heard it in The Day of the Doctor, so going back and watching through I'm glad it's a recurring theme, because it seems to make everything awesome. :lol

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #2825 on: December 07, 2013, 08:09:05 AM »
I can't recall exactly, but I think Steven Moffatt has planned a reason for that particular occurence.

I hope not. It's one of those unnecessary things that is best explained by people just accepting that it's a damn TV show! :lol

Actually what happened was that, since Peter Capaldi was also on Torchwood, Russell T. Davies had an idea about a person that looked like that kept recurring. Moffat remembered the notion, asked RTD if it still worked now that Capaldi was the Doctor, and RTD said yes. So for once it's not Moffat being nerdy, it's RTD being nerdy and Moffat running with it.  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2826 on: December 07, 2013, 08:15:59 AM »

Actually what happened was that, since Peter Capaldi was also on Torchwood, Russell T. Davies had an idea about a person that looked like that kept recurring. Moffat remembered the notion, asked RTD if it still worked now that Capaldi was the Doctor, and RTD said yes. So for once it's not Moffat being nerdy, it's RTD being nerdy and Moffat running with it.  :lol

If they create some kind of story where his face pops up in different places like that, and there's some kind of mystery as to how/why the Doctor took that form or something, and other people look like him, it could be cool, I just don't want them trying do some bendy timey-wimey thing where it turns out it's the 12th doctor himself in those occurences.
Actually, I'm sure they could make that work somehow too, I just don't want them to feel it's necessary to do it, and end up with a fanwank trainwreck like S4 of Star Trek Enterprise.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2827 on: December 07, 2013, 08:59:28 AM »
Many people seem to hate River Song, but I can't say I'm one of them. I properly love her and the way the story of her life was unrolled through the series!
- Marco

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2828 on: December 07, 2013, 09:07:26 AM »
Many people seem to hate River Song, but I can't say I'm one of them. I properly love her and the way the story of her life was unrolled through the series!

The concept is good, I just think they made her thoroughly unlikeable with the approach they took for her character (at least from what I've seen so far).

It's kind of fun having seen The Name of the Doctor and The Day of the Doctor first, then seeing the events leading up to it, and how it fits together. Kind of backwards, but I don't mind. :lol

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #2829 on: December 07, 2013, 11:02:05 AM »

The concept is good, I just think they made her thoroughly unlikeable with the approach they took for her character (at least from what I've seen so far).

It's kind of fun having seen The Name of the Doctor and The Day of the Doctor first, then seeing the events leading up to it, and how it fits together. Kind of backwards, but I don't mind. :lol

This. Especially in the latter half of Amy and Rory's run I just kept thinking, "YES WE GET SHE'S MYSTERIOUS. SHUT UP."

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2830 on: December 08, 2013, 06:25:55 AM »
And I'm done with S5. A great two parter yet again partially ruined by River Song.
SPOILERS. I'M SO MUCH SMARTER AND BETTER THAN EVERYONE ELSE INCLUDING THE DOCTOR BUT ONLY BECAUSE I TAGGED ALONG WITH THE DOCTOR SO NOW I GET TO BE SUPER SMUG AND ANNOYING.

Worst character in the show. I'd rather The Doctor team up with the fart monster instead. I honestly don't know if I can endure the future episodes with her in it. Can I just skip them? I hate her so much. It's like someone taking a dump on a delicious chocolate cake. As delicious as the cake would have been, you can't really eat it when it has a giant turd on it.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #2831 on: December 08, 2013, 07:15:43 AM »
And I'm done with S5. A great two parter yet again partially ruined by River Song.
SPOILERS. I'M SO MUCH SMARTER AND BETTER THAN EVERYONE ELSE INCLUDING THE DOCTOR BUT ONLY BECAUSE I TAGGED ALONG WITH THE DOCTOR SO NOW I GET TO BE SUPER SMUG AND ANNOYING.

Worst character in the show. I'd rather The Doctor team up with the fart monster instead. I honestly don't know if I can endure the future episodes with her in it. Can I just skip them? I hate her so much. It's like someone taking a dump on a delicious chocolate cake. As delicious as the cake would have been, you can't really eat it when it has a giant turd on it.

Well, you've at least helped me realize why it is I hate River: she's a Mary Sue.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #2832 on: December 08, 2013, 01:02:29 PM »
I wasn't a big fan of her as well but I think you're overreacting a bit there :).

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #2833 on: December 08, 2013, 01:03:35 PM »
I liked River. :lol

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2834 on: December 08, 2013, 04:47:38 PM »

- Marco