Author Topic: Doctor Who  (Read 216411 times)

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
Re: Doctor Who
« Reply #2730 on: November 22, 2013, 11:48:09 PM »
Shit, I forgot it was on. Oh well, I'll catch it later.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #2731 on: November 23, 2013, 12:57:54 AM »
Well, it's here! Happy Birthday Doctor Who!!!

You are a beautiful show, probably  :hefdaddy

:birthday:
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #2732 on: November 23, 2013, 08:29:42 AM »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2733 on: November 23, 2013, 09:28:46 AM »
I've had a Day of the Doctor myself.  I've been watching retrospectives of various incarnations on BBCAmerica On Demand, including Paul McGann (including his full movie), Eccleston (including his finale/regeneration into Tennant) and Tennant (along with Journey's End).
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #2734 on: November 23, 2013, 09:46:50 AM »
I've watched a few interviews with McGann and I would definitely love to see him as the doctor now. I really like his looks, accent and the sound of his voice. I can so easily imagine him as the Doctor, even though I haven't watched the movie he was in, nor have I listened to the audio work he's done. He's a funny guy.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2735 on: November 23, 2013, 09:55:09 AM »
I'm watching An Adventure In Time And Space. Really well done, really well acted, really enlightening and devoted. A must watch for all whovians, especially for the noobies like me  :)
- Marco

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2736 on: November 23, 2013, 09:57:49 AM »
I'm watching An Adventure In Time And Space. Really well done, really well acted, really enlightening and devoted. A must watch for all whovians, especially for the noobies like me  :)

I just finished watching it, and I've never watched any Doctor Who before (aside from catching bits here and there). Was enjoyable for anyone interested in the early history of the show, even casual fans.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2737 on: November 23, 2013, 10:14:12 AM »
Did anybody watch An Adventure In Time And Space? I loved it. Wow. What an incredible piece of drama, Mark Gatiss did a wonderful job. David Bradley was perfect for Bill, what a phenomenal actor! I can smell a BAFTA coming on.  Really excited for the 50th tomorrow, bring it on!  :metal
I thought it was wonderful, some gorgeous moments in it! David Bradley was so brilliant.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Kosmo

« Reply #2738 on: November 23, 2013, 02:22:30 PM »
I'm just sitting here with a stupid grin on my face. God damn.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2739 on: November 23, 2013, 04:04:13 PM »
That was brilliant, so much fun and sets up a fantastic new direction for the Doctor. I won't go into any more detail right now though, because spoilers!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2740 on: November 23, 2013, 04:07:42 PM »
That was a lot of fun, but I'm honestly very confused by a lot of things and a little wary about where the show goes from here.  I'll wait a few days to give my full thoughts to avoid spoilers but overall it was very well done.  Smith, Tennant, and Hurt have great chemistry together. 

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #2741 on: November 23, 2013, 04:25:46 PM »
Started watching Doctor Who recently (started from the 2005 revival 1st season). Man, I loved this show. I also watched most of the 50th Anniversary Special, and although I missed the first 10-20 minutes and hadn't watched as many episodes yet (just finished watching the Dalek episode), I could still understand most of what was going on  :lol I loved it!

Offline alirocker08

• Apparently not a hobbit
  • 'Sup, I'm a very short elf
« Reply #2742 on: November 23, 2013, 04:28:02 PM »
Why did they make David Tennant exit with his last words as Doctor again oh whyyyy
ITT: We discover that Alice is elvish...
Psshh, your status as a hobbit has just been a cover. Your cover has been blown.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #2743 on: November 23, 2013, 04:57:04 PM »
That was easily the best thing the 50th could have been. Thank you, Moffat, and thanks to everyone who preceded him for making this show possible. What a celebration.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #2744 on: November 23, 2013, 06:33:26 PM »
By all that is holy that is the best thing Doctor Who related I have ever seen, especially the last 10 or so minutes. Fucking FANTASTIC.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #2745 on: November 23, 2013, 08:20:56 PM »
The special was great and I'm all for watching it over and over, but I daresay I'm finding An Adventure in Space and Time way more interesting. I guess I just like that sort of "behind the scenes" kind of stuff (as far as a dramatization is really behind the scenes).
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2746 on: November 23, 2013, 10:42:43 PM »
I've never watched a full episode of Dr Who before, but I know the general stuff, and I've been wanting to check it out for a little while, so I figured screw it, I'm watching the 50th anniversary episode. Probably not an ideal starting point for a noob, but I don't care! And I'd seen the webisode with the introduction of the war doctor, which helped there.

Surprisingly, I understood it fine, and thought it was excellent all around! I enjoyed the way they handled the different doctors and the way they intertwined.

And Clara. I enjoyed her too. :zydar:

Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #2747 on: November 23, 2013, 11:01:10 PM »
Oh yeah, Clara's great. I hope they continue to flesh her out, because she stands a good chance at becoming my favorite companion of the new series.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2748 on: November 24, 2013, 03:26:30 AM »
Something came up, and I wasn't able to watch it.  :( I'll have to try to catch it in the next couple of days.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2749 on: November 24, 2013, 06:30:54 AM »
Magnificence.
- Marco

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #2750 on: November 24, 2013, 07:52:11 AM »
I really enjoyed that.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2751 on: November 24, 2013, 08:27:26 AM »
Can't comment on the new episode, but I finally got to Season 6.

Sorry for you Tenant lovers, but I basically think S5 is the best season of the show so far.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #2752 on: November 24, 2013, 09:23:58 AM »
I loved the Tennant Doctor (and they say no one can beat your first Doctor), but I think Eleven might be my favorite. He won me over very quickly.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #2753 on: November 24, 2013, 12:47:30 PM »
SPOILER / question
So, basically we all know and the Doctor knows that the Timelords are not extinct and that they are in some bubble (from previous Smith or Tennant episode where he succeeded in preventing them from getting out), how come now this is all suddenly forgotten? Did they mess this up or am I missing something?

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #2754 on: November 24, 2013, 01:05:17 PM »
SPOILER / question
So, basically we all know and the Doctor knows that the Timelords are not extinct and that they are in some bubble (from previous Smith or Tennant episode where he succeeded in preventing them from getting out), how come now this is all suddenly forgotten? Did they mess this up or am I missing something?
That episode was kind of stupid, The Master was nothing for than a chaotic ass. It doesn't answer your question but I seriously don't like the way they handled The Master.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2755 on: November 24, 2013, 01:14:32 PM »
Here is the chronology of the time war's final events (spoilers if you haven't seen the special, don't scroll down):

-The Doctor steals the Moment and heads to utilize it to end the Time War by burning Gallifrey, destroying Time Lords and Daleks alike.
-A time lock has already been placed upon Gallifrey in order to prevent Time Lords and Daleks from changing history to give themselves the upper hand. Thus, the fighting is inside the lock, and it prevents anyone from getting in or out.
-The High Council of Gallifrey are aware the Doctor has the Moment and believe he is going to use it to destroy everything. Using the Master, the High Council attempt to escape the time lock by inserting the sound of drums within the Master's head, him being their only way out of the time lock (The End of Time events). The 10th Doctor thwarts this and sends the High Council back into the time lock.
-Back to the War Doctor, who is about to use the Moment to burn Gallifrey. The Moment personified as Bad Wolf Rose appears and shows the Doctor what he will become if he destroys Gallifrey. These are the Day of the Doctor events.
-All 13 Doctors come together to send Gallifrey into a pocket universe, frozen in time such as the paintings with the Zygons. The Gallifrey War Room decides to go along with this, as the High Council has failed in their plans.
-Gallifrey is sealed away, still time locked, frozen in a pocket universe. All of the Doctors return to their various timelines.
-The War Doctor and the 10th Doctor, as soon as they leave the presence of the 11th Doctor, forget the events of The Day of the Doctor. The War Doctor, without memories of the events, believes that he DID use the Moment to destroy Gallifrey, as it has disappeared, and thus he, the 9th, and the 10th Doctor's timelines remain the same, them believing that they are the only survivors of the Time War and the guilt of destroying so many races placed upon them, despite the fact that this isn't truly the case. The 11th Doctor believes this as well, up until the events of the Day of the Doctor.
-The 11th Doctor speaks with the Curator and discovers that their plan worked, and that Gallifrey is out there, sealed away. This ties together loose ends such as "how did any of the Daleks escape the Time War?"

So, effectively, all of the Doctor Who timeline stays the same until here on going forward. Now, the Doctor has discovered Gallifrey still exists, the Time Lords still are out there somewhere, and his purpose is now to find his people and return to visit his home world. Some people are complaining that "the Time Lords were so vicious at the end that they were going to destroy the universe, why would the Doctor want to find them?" I personally believe that only the High Council had reached that level of viciousness and that the other citizens (the ones we saw in the Day of the Doctor) were all still good people. So there is a potential antagonist set of Time Lords still out there for the Doctor to face, and I believe after that Gallifrey will be restored to a peaceful, somewhat stuck up planet like it was in the Classic Era. This also allows for the Master's return, as he was sent back with Rassilon and the Time Lords in the End of Time, meaning that he is alive on Gallifrey as well.

Essentially, Moffat has opened up an entire new perspective for the show and has allowed for an abundance of stories with this episode, such as:
-The Doctor setting off to find Gallifrey
-The Doctor and the Master
-The Doctor and the cruel Time Lords
-How the Doctor will get more regenerations given that Capaldi is now effectively the last biologically-allotted incarnation of the Doctor
-How does the Trenzalore mythos get changed in order to allow the Doctor to continue on from his Matt Smith incarnation?

also, Tom Baker as the Curator was the greatest thing ever. I now believe that in his last incarnation, the Doctor regenerates into an old Tom Baker and retires to work in an art museum (also to beekeep.)

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2756 on: November 24, 2013, 04:13:21 PM »
I loved the 50th so damn much. I have yet to watch ADventure in Time and Space, but I'm sure that will be rectified shortly

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #2757 on: November 24, 2013, 04:52:30 PM »
I don't think Capaldi is the last "biologically-alloted regeneration" as you put it, Heretic. I think he was shown more like a fan-service, a minuscule peek into the future of the show.

That could easily be explain away in a throwaway line by a Doctor after Capaldi. Something like "I wasn't there because by my 13th regeneration the calculations were complete so I wasn't needed." Just like now the sonic can finally be used on wood. :lol
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2758 on: November 24, 2013, 05:07:52 PM »
I don't think Capaldi is the last "biologically-alloted regeneration" as you put it, Heretic. I think he was shown more like a fan-service, a minuscule peek into the future of the show.

That could easily be explain away in a throwaway line by a Doctor after Capaldi. Something like "I wasn't there because by my 13th regeneration the calculations were complete so I wasn't needed." Just like now the sonic can finally be used on wood. :lol
He means how Time Lords only have 13 regenerations. There will easily be a way out of it though, the Master has already found a couple of different ways.

My understanding about the events of the 50th and how they tie in (very nicely I might add) with everything else are the same as Heretic's. The only thing I'd add is...

SPOILERS

As I understand it, the chronology is very timey-wimey. Originally, the War Doctor did, in fact, burn Gallifrey. But by the time the three of them are together, they realise a way out of it, and they change history in an absolutely huge way. Time is therefore out of sync, because the universe/space-time is now different to how it was in a very fundamental way, which is why the older Doctor's won't remember it, and will continue to remember the original version of events until they become the 11th Doctor, as he is the one who creates that change.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 05:18:44 PM by ariich »

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #2759 on: November 24, 2013, 06:18:44 PM »
Ah, well as you could probably see, I'm not well versed in all things Time Lords heh
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2760 on: November 24, 2013, 06:35:54 PM »
Just watched Tom Baker's cameo on You-Tube. The pattern on the wall made me instantly think of Tom Baker / Peter Davidson's Tardis interior. That's how I remember it . :)

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #2761 on: November 24, 2013, 07:06:26 PM »
On a not-50th anniversary note, I watched Doctor Who: The Movie today with Paul McGann. I have to say, that was...certainly, uh...well, it was a thing.

To elaborate for those who haven't seen it, this movie is what happens when you put Americans at the helm. :lol
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 07:11:54 PM by Super Dude »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2762 on: November 24, 2013, 07:14:37 PM »
On a not-50th anniversary note, I watched Doctor Who: The Movie today with Paul McGann. I have to say, that was...certainly, uh...well, it was a thing.

To elaborate for those who haven't seen it, this movie is what happens when you put Americans at the helm. :lol

See also : Red Dwarf series 7 :puke:

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #2763 on: November 24, 2013, 07:21:35 PM »
I loved it. I need more John Hurt doctor pls
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2764 on: November 24, 2013, 09:33:48 PM »
Well, Sigz, I did a pixel art of him, so maybe that will help: