Author Topic: Doctor Who  (Read 216420 times)

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: Doctor Who: The Name of the Next Doctor
« Reply #2520 on: August 04, 2013, 12:49:26 PM »
nobody else think it's weird that the role has been given to someone who's already made a cameo in the programme in the past?

Not really, it happened with Martha and Amy (and Gwen in Torchwood).
And more prominently, it happened with Colin Baker, the 6th Doctor.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #2521 on: August 04, 2013, 12:54:59 PM »
Malcom Tucker has been ruined. I'm sure he'll do a good job, but does nobody else think it's weird that the role has been given to someone who's already made a cameo in the programme in the past?
Karen Gillan was in the same episode! It'll be fine.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2522 on: August 04, 2013, 12:56:27 PM »
Yeah and she isn't even a time lord.

It also happened with the 4th Doctor's companion Romana, who was also a time lord.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline robwebster

Re: Doctor Who: The Name of the Doctor
« Reply #2523 on: August 04, 2013, 01:01:55 PM »
I'd go on record about how excited I am that Capaldi's taking the reigns... but I don't need to, cos I already did it within the last week:
If they were to cast a known actor, Peter Capaldi's the kind of actor I'd love it to be. Brilliant in so many uncountable ways, and he's a peg of such a shape that he wouldn't quiiiite match the hole. Not talking square-to-round, but just different and uncomfortable enough that he'd take a little bit of pushing - he'd change the fundamental shape of the role, just a little, which I think all good Doctors should.

I like that it'd be a bit different, but I couldn't picture him being particularly interested in it. Then I saw this!

I still don't think he's got it - he's this cycle's Paterson Joseph. But it's a lovely idea, and I love Peter Capaldi, so I'm liking that for a brief moment - even just one week in August - he's practically synonymous with my favourite show.
How little I knew!! Screw "one week in August" - the next half a decade!! I am so, so stoked.

Also, hurrah --
Also, how deeply prophetic would The Fires of Pompeii look if he got cast? Two future leads, in an episode full of soothsayers!

I did, briefly, have Malcolm Tucker as my avatar, when The Thick of It was finishing. I think he might be back this Christmas...

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2524 on: August 04, 2013, 01:05:05 PM »
So weird that Capaldi was in " World War Z " as " W.H.O. Doctor "... :lol

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #2525 on: August 04, 2013, 01:42:12 PM »
I'm VERY excited about Twelve. Not at all who I would've picked, but by all means, that's probably for the best. Capaldi has serious acting chops and he really appears to be a big fan of the show. I'm already feeling giddy as can be about the prospect of what his Doctor will be like.

Well done, Moffat. Well done. :tup
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2526 on: August 04, 2013, 01:43:40 PM »
He looks a great candidate!

There are a few people on my fb wall complaining about the new doctor being another thin white male. I don't agree with those negetive sentiments, but I can't find any good arguments to construct. Thoughts?

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #2527 on: August 04, 2013, 01:50:21 PM »
Don't even bother. You can't possibly win. Just let it go.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2528 on: August 04, 2013, 01:50:23 PM »
They've gone for a serious actor and not catered to whiny teenage girls ?

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2529 on: August 04, 2013, 02:04:50 PM »
Don't even bother. You can't possibly win. Just let it go.

The urge to prove people wrong on the internet is a strong one, but you are probably right.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2530 on: August 04, 2013, 02:23:38 PM »
He looks a great candidate!

There are a few people on my fb wall complaining about the new doctor being another thin white male. I don't agree with those negetive sentiments, but I can't find any good arguments to construct. Thoughts?
Well there's quite a big change in making him significantly older - the oldest since William Hartnell (and in fact, by the series 8 opening episode, he will be older than Hartnell was for Unearthly Child!)

I be am boner inducing.

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2531 on: August 04, 2013, 02:30:58 PM »
Malcom Tucker has been ruined. I'm sure he'll do a good job, but does nobody else think it's weird that the role has been given to someone who's already made a cameo in the programme in the past?
Karen Gillan was in the same episode! It'll be fine.

Perhaps, but I don't agree with the logic that because they've done it before it's ok to do it again. I suppose I just find it a strange concept in general. But I'm not the biggest fan of Doctor Who, so it's not really going to bother me a great deal!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2532 on: August 04, 2013, 03:35:39 PM »
Karen Gillan tweeted "CAPALDI! Superb choice. Swear I've seen him in Pompeii..."

:lol

I be am boner inducing.

Offline adameastment

« Reply #2533 on: August 04, 2013, 03:40:36 PM »
I'm happy, already fed up with whiney turds on facebook. Especially the girls on the Facebook Fan Pages, who are only watching the show for the "eye candy".

Also, I'm really annoyed at a friend who said she thought it was a shit choice because the fact he's been in it before. That really made me angry for some reason, probably because I thought she was wiser than that :P

Offline theanalogkid7

• Just a guy
  • There are many knots I cannot untie.
« Reply #2534 on: August 04, 2013, 03:42:12 PM »
I'm really excited about Capaldi.  It'll be a great having an older doctor, and with John Hurt in the 50th anniversary, this looks promising.
We are here to make everything better. We are going to make airplanes out of beef. - Alex Lifeson

Offline robwebster

Re: Doctor Who: Come the f**k in or f**k the f**k off
« Reply #2535 on: August 04, 2013, 04:56:59 PM »
Joint oldest! Alongside William Hartnell. Both 55 years old. I think Bills beat him... but, by months.

Oh, my god, he's going to be stupendous.

They've always gone for a serious actor and not catered to teenage girls! Just... this time, you can tell!

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #2536 on: August 04, 2013, 05:01:26 PM »
Nice new thread title. :lol :lol
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline adameastment

« Reply #2537 on: August 04, 2013, 05:16:57 PM »
Joint oldest! Alongside William Hartnell. Both 55 years old. I think Bills beat him... but, by months.

Oh, my god, he's going to be stupendous.

They've always gone for a serious actor and not catered to teenage girls! Just... this time, you can tell!

When Peter Capaldi starts he'll be oldest when filming begins though I think!

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2538 on: August 04, 2013, 05:23:20 PM »
I'm going to try to look into some of the stuff he's done so I can have a good idea about what I can expect

Offline robwebster

« Reply #2539 on: August 04, 2013, 05:26:02 PM »
I'm going to try to look into some of the stuff he's done so I can have a good idea about what I can expect
Torchwood: Children of Earth would be a bloody brilliant place to start.

His defining role to date, though, is Malcolm Tucker in The Thick of It and In the Loop. He's already pretty iconic as one of the best satirical characters - probably the most creatively profane gentleman in all of British television.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WB3cQOXQ_50

Offline Jaq

« Reply #2540 on: August 04, 2013, 07:25:04 PM »
Karen Gillan tweeted "CAPALDI! Superb choice. Swear I've seen him in Pompeii..."

:lol

:rollin
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #2541 on: August 04, 2013, 08:04:04 PM »
So I guess I should start watching Doctor Who.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2542 on: August 04, 2013, 08:16:27 PM »
Just checked out In The Loop. I swear Malcolm would be comparable if House got into politics. I loved it (plus Anna Chlumsky has matured rather nicely)

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2543 on: August 05, 2013, 06:22:12 AM »
So I guess I should start watching Doctor Who.

Yeah you should. Like I told you yesterday, just continuing to watch onwards from The Eleventh Hour is probably the best place to start. Season 5 is glorious.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: Doctor Who
« Reply #2544 on: August 05, 2013, 06:42:06 AM »
Personally I still think starting from Rose is better, because you can see how the show builds and improves. Plus there is so much amazing stuff in that era that you'd be missing out on it starting from series 5.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2545 on: August 05, 2013, 07:01:52 AM »
While I wouldn't necessarily disagree with that (I started with Season 1 and I loved it!), I do think that it is better to continue there after I showed him The Eleventh Hour yesterday.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #2546 on: August 05, 2013, 12:28:11 PM »
I think, at this point, the Russell T Davies era is just one among many. Rose is no more vital to The Eleventh Hour than the An Unearthly Child is to, say, Spearhead from Space.

If I'm recommending Doctor Who, I'm generally going to recommend the most modern incarnation of the programme. There's 50 years of the stuff. I prefer to minimise the required reading to make it less intimidating, and more user-friendly. "You have to watch seven series before you can join in" is a little daunting. Three, with the option to catch up on the other four, I think feels more manageable. It does help, though, that I think The Eleventh Hour is a better ep and a better intro than Rose, and that I think S5 is a better series.

Doesn't mean I think Rose is a bad call - quite the opposite, it's brilliant. It's where I started, and hey - I'm still here! Chris Eccleston is superb, and series one is thrilling in so many different ways. Plus, you get to see the Doctors cycle, which you don't get in the same way if you start with Matt Smith. (Not 'til Christmas, anyway!) Of all the bygone eras, Russell T Davies' is the best to start with, but I tend to think, modern Doctor for a modern audience. One of the most enticing things about Doctor Who is that there's no obligation to "start from the top." You can join the ride at S6E5 and still "get" the show in seconds.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #2547 on: August 05, 2013, 12:29:39 PM »
The announcement of Peter Capaldi as the Twelfth Doctor, along with the release of the new DT single, has made the past two days absolutely fantastic! :tup ;)

Any ideas of what sort of direction they'll go for with Twelve? I have a feeling he's gonna be darker like Nine was, and have a fair bit of snarkiness to him.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
« Reply #2548 on: August 05, 2013, 12:42:00 PM »
I'd go on record about how excited I am that Capaldi's taking the reigns... but I don't need to, cos I already did it within the last week:
If they were to cast a known actor, Peter Capaldi's the kind of actor I'd love it to be. Brilliant in so many uncountable ways, and he's a peg of such a shape that he wouldn't quiiiite match the hole. Not talking square-to-round, but just different and uncomfortable enough that he'd take a little bit of pushing - he'd change the fundamental shape of the role, just a little, which I think all good Doctors should.

I like that it'd be a bit different, but I couldn't picture him being particularly interested in it. Then I saw this!

I still don't think he's got it - he's this cycle's Paterson Joseph. But it's a lovely idea, and I love Peter Capaldi, so I'm liking that for a brief moment - even just one week in August - he's practically synonymous with my favourite show.
How little I knew!! Screw "one week in August" - the next half a decade!! I am so, so stoked.

Also, hurrah --
Also, how deeply prophetic would The Fires of Pompeii look if he got cast? Two future leads, in an episode full of soothsayers!

I did, briefly, have Malcolm Tucker as my avatar, when The Thick of It was finishing. I think he might be back this Christmas...

I've never watched Dr. Who...  :blush  only one or two episodes with my dad back when Tom Baker was the Doctor.

However -- I HAVE watched Peter Capaldi in The Thick of It and In The Loop.  NO ONE can swear like he can -- he is SO ANGRY ALL THE TIME!!!   :o   :lol   It might be interesting to see his vocabulary restrained (broadened??) by starring in this program.  A funny comment I read was questioning how a Scottish actor can have an Italian name.  Like people from other countries could not have immigrated at some point in time...   :\

I do love him as an actor.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 12:47:57 PM by sueño »
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline Jaq

« Reply #2549 on: August 05, 2013, 02:11:15 PM »
The announcement of Peter Capaldi as the Twelfth Doctor, along with the release of the new DT single, has made the past two days absolutely fantastic! :tup ;)

Any ideas of what sort of direction they'll go for with Twelve? I have a feeling he's gonna be darker like Nine was, and have a fair bit of snarkiness to him.

Based on what I know of his work, I can't see ANY way that Twelve isn't going to be one sarcastic son of a bitch. That just seems Calpadi's way.  :lol

Offline adameastment

« Reply #2550 on: August 05, 2013, 02:28:56 PM »
It's now roll on November 23rd and Regeneration now! Two blinding stories I hope!

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2551 on: August 05, 2013, 02:30:27 PM »
Will the regeneration be in the 50th Anniversary Special at all? Because I think that I read that Matt Smith will also be doing the Christmas special, which would make that his last story.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2552 on: August 05, 2013, 06:31:40 PM »
Smith is turning on the Christmas special.

It would be interesting to hear The Doctor curse. They had cursing on Torchwood

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2553 on: August 05, 2013, 06:38:33 PM »

However -- I HAVE watched Peter Capaldi in The Thick of It and In The Loop.  NO ONE can swear like he can -- he is SO ANGRY ALL THE TIME!!!   :o   :lol   It might be interesting to see his vocabulary restrained (broadened??) by starring in this program.  A funny comment I read was questioning how a Scottish actor can have an Italian name.  Like people from other countries could not have immigrated at some point in time...   :\

Ironically The Thick Of It was created by another Italian Scot - Armando Iannucci.

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
« Reply #2554 on: August 05, 2013, 06:44:19 PM »

Ironically The Thick Of It was created by another Italian Scot - Armando Iannucci.

Yeah, I noticed that.  SO FUNNAY!!    :lol
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."