Author Topic: Doctor Who  (Read 216036 times)

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: Doctor Who: The Name of the Doctor
« Reply #2485 on: July 31, 2013, 12:32:03 AM »
My Scottish girlfriend enjoyed that one. :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit

Offline robwebster

« Reply #2487 on: August 01, 2013, 02:04:03 PM »
I am very excited.

Of the rumoured new Doctors, my favourite is "an unknown actor." Second favourite is Peter Capaldi. Brilliant actor - in everything he does.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2488 on: August 01, 2013, 04:02:15 PM »
I would actually love to see Peter Capaldi in the role. The only downside would be that so many people already know him as foulmouthed Malcolm Tucker, whereas the DW team tend to prefer someone to "be" the Doctor.

But we'll see. Exciting stuff anyway.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #2489 on: August 01, 2013, 04:20:44 PM »
There goes my dream of Samuel Jackson as the Doctor.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #2490 on: August 01, 2013, 05:22:08 PM »
I would actually love to see Peter Capaldi in the role. The only downside would be that so many people already know him as foulmouthed Malcolm Tucker, whereas the DW team tend to prefer someone to "be" the Doctor.
Deffo. I'm a big, big fan of casting if not an unknown, then at least a relative unknown in the role. I used to get really into all the casting speculation, but then Matt Smith came along and he was so much better and more interesting than anyone I had imagined. Karen Gillan, likewise, and Arthur Darvill, likewise again. I know they all already had careers, they'd all been in stuff, and in fact I'd caught a little of Party Animals when it was on, but the surprise is the best bit, and I don't think a known quantity can be surprising in quite the same way.

But with that said, if they were to cast a known actor, Peter Capaldi's the kind of actor I'd love it to be. Brilliant in so many uncountable ways, and he's a peg of such a shape that he wouldn't quiiiite match the hole. Not talking square-to-round, but just different and uncomfortable enough that he'd take a little bit of pushing - he'd change the fundamental shape of the role, just a little, which I think all good Doctors should.

And Sunday's show is now 100% confirmed by the BBC. Now we just look forward to them pulling it off.

ETA: Here's the article, and in case anyone's interested, they don't specify a gender.

I imagine it'll still be another bloke, but I'd quite like a lady at any rate - and if she were female, to announce that on live telly?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 05:28:51 PM by robwebster »

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2491 on: August 01, 2013, 05:46:28 PM »
Capaldi is in pre-production for another show I heard, so he's probably out

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2492 on: August 01, 2013, 11:33:34 PM »
Capaldi is in pre-production for another show I heard, so he's probably out

Not necessarily...  ;)

Ben Stephenson, Controller, BBC Drama Commissioning says: “We can't wait to unveil the next Doctor with everyone live on BBC1 on Sunday night.  Amongst all the speculation and betting, there has been lots of fun and intrigue at work as we've been using the codename Houdini as a decoy! It’s the biggest secret in showbiz, even those working with the new Doctor on other projects at the moment have no idea they are in the presence of the 12th incarnation.”

Offline robwebster

« Reply #2493 on: August 02, 2013, 01:11:14 PM »
If there was one thing that left me a little sceptical about Peter Capaldi's odds of taking the TARDIS keys, it was that it's not a job he particularly needs. He's an incredible actor, gets lots of work, strikes me as a bit more of a serious actor than the average Doctor Who archetype - I like that it'd be a bit different, but I couldn't picture him being particularly interested in it. Then I saw this!

I still don't think he's got it - he's this cycle's Paterson Joseph. The face of a process that is, by nature, completely faceless. But it's a lovely idea, and I love Peter Capaldi, so I'm liking that for a brief moment - even just one week in August - he's practically synonymous with my favourite show.

Also, how deeply prophetic would The Fires of Pompeii look if he got cast? Two future leads, in an episode full of soothsayers!

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #2494 on: August 02, 2013, 02:37:42 PM »
So I just watched A Christmas Carol and holy fuck, that was good. Some minor plot holes here and there, but on the whole, I really liked it. Gambon was ace, and that scene between young and old Kazran was properly chilling. The ending made me tear up.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline robwebster

« Reply #2495 on: August 02, 2013, 03:32:28 PM »
Aha! Is that your first time catching Christmas Carol?

I think it's the best Christmas special. It's certainly my favourite.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2496 on: August 02, 2013, 06:26:40 PM »
Yup! I'm catching up on the Christmas specials now, as I, for some reason, didn't watch them during my first run through (except for The Snowmen). While I like them all a fair bit, I'd probably rank those that I've seen the following way:

A Christmas Carol
The Snowmen
The Doctor, the Widow and the Wardrobe
Voyage of the Damned

TDTWATW is very good as well, not as intensive and does require some suspension of disbelief, but it was a very enjoyable watch. I found it interesting that there was no real villain, and the trees, which I had expected to fit into that role, were an interesting character to say for sure.

Voyage, meanwhile, isn't bad, but it does feel very standard, with the people being picked off one by one, etc. and the involvement of Max Capricorn was pretty obvious. Still good fun, but my least favourite of the four.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 05:39:38 AM by Scorpion »

Offline adameastment

« Reply #2497 on: August 02, 2013, 08:04:04 PM »
I haven't posted in a few days so here goes...

Ok, on the subject of the 12th Doctor, I'm really not sexist, but I hope the 12th incarnation isn't a woman. It's honestly not down to simply being a woman, it's down the the whole idea of the Doctor that has been built up over the last 50 years, I know it's a show about change, but it's an archetype that has been established. This is why I don't want to be labelled sexist, because there are so many discussions going on (mostly on facebook though) that would out you as a sexist.

As most avid Whovians will say, it's typically been The Doctor and his (rather frequently) female companion. I do think this should continue. But again, like I said before, Who is a show of change. If a woman were to take the role it is something that everyone would have to get used to.

Back to episodes, I think Nightmare in Silver was an episode that challenged archetypes again. Cybermen typically have been these regular moving humanoid things. The reason I think everyone disliked about it was the premise that they were no longer based upon an organic humanoid body and now just require a brain (at least I'd presume they do :P).

I watched The Name of the Doctor again the other day, and as I did when I initially watched it, I loved it. It's a great episode, probably my favourite of all the Smith episodes, and really sets up for the 50th (which I am getting soooo desperate to see :( )

Again however, not a sexist ;)

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #2498 on: August 02, 2013, 09:36:24 PM »
I haven't posted in a few days so here goes...

Ok, on the subject of the 12th Doctor, I'm really not sexist, but I hope the 12th incarnation isn't a woman. It's honestly not down to simply being a woman, it's down the the whole idea of the Doctor that has been built up over the last 50 years, I know it's a show about change, but it's an archetype that has been established. This is why I don't want to be labelled sexist, because there are so many discussions going on (mostly on facebook though) that would out you as a sexist.

As most avid Whovians will say, it's typically been The Doctor and his (rather frequently) female companion. I do think this should continue. But again, like I said before, Who is a show of change. If a woman were to take the role it is something that everyone would have to get used to.

Back to episodes, I think Nightmare in Silver was an episode that challenged archetypes again. Cybermen typically have been these regular moving humanoid things. The reason I think everyone disliked about it was the premise that they were no longer based upon an organic humanoid body and now just require a brain (at least I'd presume they do :P).

I watched The Name of the Doctor again the other day, and as I did when I initially watched it, I loved it. It's a great episode, probably my favourite of all the Smith episodes, and really sets up for the 50th (which I am getting soooo desperate to see :( )

Again however, not a sexist ;)

I literally agree with every sentence of this post.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2499 on: August 03, 2013, 03:24:32 AM »
Scorp, great to see that you like TDTWATW, I love it as well but a lot of people really don't like it at all for some reason. It's a really sweet story in itself, but I think my favourite thing about it is the side of the Doctor that we see, especially towards the end. It's a very soft and emotional scene when he turns up at Amy and Rory's, which is the first time we see it with the Eleventh Doctor.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2500 on: August 03, 2013, 05:06:02 AM »
There goes my dream of Samuel Jackson as the Doctor.
That would be incredible.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #2501 on: August 03, 2013, 05:30:17 AM »
The only thing I'd be hesitant about with a female doctor is that Moffat can't write women for shit.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2502 on: August 03, 2013, 06:58:37 AM »
I don't agree with that at all. I've liked Amy and Clara most out of the new Who female companions, and the women in Coupling were brilliant.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #2503 on: August 03, 2013, 09:43:08 PM »
The 12th Doctor is robwebster. You heard it here, folks.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #2504 on: August 04, 2013, 02:46:15 AM »
What? I might not be!

...Who told you?!

Offline robwebster

Re: Doctor Who: The Name of the Next Doctor
« Reply #2505 on: August 04, 2013, 05:10:27 AM »
Right, just so it's... somewhere! Here's the aggregated survivor results.

Small, I know, but they expand if you click them.

Funny thing, didn't notice at the time - every single series, the two-part finale came third. Of the two series where there was no two-part finale, The Name of the Doctor came third for series 7, and The Impossible Astronaut came third for series 6 - the two-part opener!

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2506 on: August 04, 2013, 05:30:45 AM »
Great results, as I already said in the survivor. Silence is my favourite episode as well, so I'm glad that it won. The only place where I'm a little disappointed with the results, actually, is Season 5, where The Time of Angels would far and away be my favourite, but since that Season is pretty much awesome from start to finish, I'm finding it hard to care much.

Soooo! New Doctor today! Who's excited?

Offline robwebster

« Reply #2507 on: August 04, 2013, 05:36:09 AM »
Well, you know, it's just another day and

IT IS GOING TO BE BRILLIANT!!

Seriously. I love the way they're doing this. Very few people, realistically, are ever going to see a regeneration in this day and age and not know who the new man's going to be. Colin Baker and Peter Davison will be present to oversee the event as well as Matt Smith. New character - the passing of the torch, this is going to be the closest thing to witnessing a new regeneration, absolutely blind. Utterly wonderful.

Offline adameastment

« Reply #2508 on: August 04, 2013, 09:13:30 AM »

Definitley a man then. :)

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2509 on: August 04, 2013, 11:51:12 AM »
Haha, oops!

So, 10 minutes... :caffeine:

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #2510 on: August 04, 2013, 12:08:48 PM »
I remember when we found out that Tennant had the role from the articles about Eccelston leaving. Now we get this fancy world wide live special. Times have changed.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #2511 on: August 04, 2013, 12:18:41 PM »
Can anyone hand me the link of the special? I can't seem to find it  :sadpanda:
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #2512 on: August 04, 2013, 12:29:20 PM »
AWESOME
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline GuineaPig

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #2514 on: August 04, 2013, 12:33:36 PM »
Oh, luckily I managed to tune in just as he was making his entrance on stage! Looks cool!
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2515 on: August 04, 2013, 12:34:45 PM »
So.... Capaldi's the new guy? Nice. :tup

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2516 on: August 04, 2013, 12:35:45 PM »
Awesome, so glad the rumours were true! :D

I be am boner inducing.

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2517 on: August 04, 2013, 12:36:42 PM »
Malcom Tucker has been ruined. I'm sure he'll do a good job, but does nobody else think it's weird that the role has been given to someone who's already made a cameo in the programme in the past?

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #2518 on: August 04, 2013, 12:39:03 PM »
nobody else think it's weird that the role has been given to someone who's already made a cameo in the programme in the past?

Not really, it happened with Martha and Amy (and Gwen in Torchwood).

Also, fuck yes. So excited.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2519 on: August 04, 2013, 12:46:57 PM »
All the teen Whovians on twitter are up in arms :lol