Author Topic: Doctor Who  (Read 216380 times)

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: Doctor Who: The Name of the Doctor
« Reply #2415 on: July 16, 2013, 12:47:19 AM »
A couple of things Scorp - Let's Kill Hitler and A Good Man aren't really treated as a two parter, they're basically separate stories. Also, there are no plot holes, and the story does actually make sense (which I got from second viewing), but I agree that there's a lot going on.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #2416 on: July 16, 2013, 01:18:39 AM »
Weird, I thought they were a two-parter. Dunno why I thought that. :dunno:

Upon rewatching, I'll agree that it makes sense, but there are still some things that I don't like - the main thing being that the appearance of Hitler feels very gimicky and totally useless - the whole story could have taken place in just about any time, why Nazi Germany? True, it had to take place somewhere, but from the title, I got the impression that Hitler and the Nazis would be a more integral part of the plot rather than just funny little gimicks.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline robwebster

« Reply #2417 on: July 16, 2013, 01:27:48 AM »
From a metatextual perspective, it's sort of the one motivation that drives the entire plot. Melody wants to kill Hitler cos she's a time-travel psychopath, she wants to kill the Doctor cos she thinks he's just as bad, the teselecta are in the business of punishing dictators to ensure they pay for their crimes - and then they find, in Melody, the worst war criminal in galactic history.

As a battleground between three just warriors, I don't think you could pick better. But yes, the title is a bit of a bait-'n'-switch.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2418 on: July 16, 2013, 01:44:23 AM »
What Rob said. Don't get too hung up on titles, Moffat often makes them deliberately misleading, so you'll just be setting yourself up for disappointment.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2419 on: July 16, 2013, 02:56:23 AM »
All right, I'd definitely remember that. Thanks for the info, rob, that does make sense. :tup

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #2420 on: July 16, 2013, 08:06:39 PM »
Oh, indeed. When you get to series 7 one title in particular winds up being misleading as hell and yet perfectly played.  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #2421 on: July 18, 2013, 04:53:04 PM »
Sorry for the delay - round nine!

Scorpion! Any more episodes? Any more thoughts?

Offline adameastment

« Reply #2422 on: July 18, 2013, 06:35:43 PM »
Just rewatching Series 2 Episode 13. Really fun episodes :)

Offline robwebster

« Reply #2423 on: July 19, 2013, 02:32:30 PM »
One thing I do really like about these survivors - and this group in particular - is the weird match-ups we end up getting in the tiebreakers.

Here's round ten. The Girl Who Waited versus The Impossible Planet. I don't think I've ever thought to compare them.

S2E13 - agreed! I love Army of Ghosts. It's one that's very easy to forget, and it's one I'm very glad when I remember.

Offline adameastment

« Reply #2424 on: July 19, 2013, 07:01:50 PM »
One thing I do really like about these survivors - and this group in particular - is the weird match-ups we end up getting in the tiebreakers.

Here's round ten. The Girl Who Waited versus The Impossible Planet. I don't think I've ever thought to compare them.

S2E13 - agreed! I love Army of Ghosts. It's one that's very easy to forget, and it's one I'm very glad when I remember.

I also decided to watch Blink whilst I was there, Blink in my opinion, isn't the best "Angels" story. I personally think Time of Angels and Flesh and Stone are better. Think I will watch 42 tonight!

Offline robwebster

« Reply #2425 on: July 20, 2013, 03:07:23 PM »
I'm tempted to agree with you on the Weepies. I admire Blink, but I never found it scary - or, frankly, all that creepy. I think it was a little too shiny. Often the case in RTD's era, and often the case in RTD's stories, but I think that creepy old house would feel a lot creepier with Moffat-era direction. Minor flaws, but at that level, those details can make all the difference. Both are better than The Angels Take Manhattan, which is very good but not a classic.

Series everything, episode eleven! Sixteen candidates have become five. Now they face the scrutiny of Lord Sugar's most trusted advisors. The search for our favouritest episode of Doctor Who... continues.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2426 on: July 20, 2013, 03:47:51 PM »
:lol Think you've been watching too much TV Rob. The last two Apprentice episodes were great though!

And yeah, that's not a bad final five at all!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #2427 on: July 20, 2013, 04:02:02 PM »
I swear, if the next series is as good as this one's been, The Apprentice will be in serious danger of eclipsing Doctor Who as my favourite programme.

Okay, it won't, but I love it a similar amount for completely different reasons, and I feel like The Apprentice is on an up whereas Doctor Who's on a teeeeeny bit of a down, (not a big one - I'm just feeling its age a little right now, a regeneration will probably spruce it right back up,) so I'm in a pretty good place with it right now.

Offline adameastment

« Reply #2428 on: July 20, 2013, 05:01:51 PM »
The Apprentice has been on my watch list for the last however many weeks. This series was excellent. Apprentice is probably in my top 5 favourite shows.

As for tonight, it's time for the episode A Good Man Goes To War, in my opinion, the best episode of series 6.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #2429 on: July 20, 2013, 05:10:29 PM »
I disagree with rob hardcore -- series 7 was a huge step up from 6, and after The Name of the Doctor the series has almost rejuvenated itself completely, in my opinion.

Offline adameastment

« Reply #2430 on: July 20, 2013, 05:17:02 PM »
I disagree with rob hardcore -- series 7 was a huge step up from 6, and after The Name of the Doctor the series has almost rejuvenated itself completely, in my opinion.

I think the problem with series 6/7 is because they were both split into two. In my opinion that was a stupid thing to do. People's interest will dwindle after a while, there were no two parters either (7).

Hopefully the 50th Anniversary and Christmas Special will be excellent and I hope series 8 will go back to a 14 episode a year format.

Edit: Also - It's hard to believe A Good Man Goes To War came out two years ago, I hadn't started University at that point and was awaiting exam results. It's also weird how Doctor Who episodes makes me remember points in my life...
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 05:27:09 PM by adameastment »

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2431 on: July 21, 2013, 12:45:23 PM »
I was away a while, but I have now finally finished Series 6.

Night Terrors: Great story, and I enjoyed that it was a standalone episode. Pretty genuinely creepy, I loved the doll house. George was adorable as well, his father was really someone that I sympathised with, and pretty much everything else was well done as well. A very well rounded and enjoyable episode.

The Girl Who Waited: Fucking tearjerker, this one was. Pretty much everything from Rory's meeting with the older Amy was heartwrenching and yet beautiful and those last few moments were some of the best stuff of the show, and I really really felt sorry for both Rory and the Doctor - Rory because of the impossible choice and the Doctor for having to do what was necessary.

The God Complex: While the way that the story unfolded was terrifying and all the actors did splendid jobs, the resolution felt so, so weak to me that it left me really underwhelmed. I did like Gibbis, though, he had some of the best parts of the episode.

Closing Time: I'm starting to see a pattern - whenever the Cybermen make an appearance, the episode is pretty weak. I did like Craig's reapparance, but he was better in The Lodger, anyway. The way that the Doctor spoke with Alfie was pretty awesome, though, and those final minutes were goosebump-inducing.

The Wedding of River Song: Amazing finale. I loved how time was collapsing and everything happening at once, and how the concept of fixed points was expanded on. The Silence were terrifying again - some of Doctor Who's best villains, of all time. Madame Kovarian's death was pretty amazing as well, and the resolution of the whole arc was amazingly simply yet sooooo clever, though I am wondering how a Teselacta copy of a person, which is basically a robot, can begin to regenerate? Anyway, those last few minutes were intriguing - does "the fall of the Eleventh" refer to Matt Smith's final episode? I guess it does, but only time will tell.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 04:28:41 PM by Scorpion »

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2432 on: July 21, 2013, 01:30:27 PM »
though I am wondering how a Teselacta copy of a person, which is basically a robot, can begin to regenerate?
What we saw at the start of the series (the Doctor actually getting killed) was not what we see after the resolution involving the Teselecta. They changed time by doing that, so that the Doctor no longer dies, but the universe thinks he did.

Anyway, those last few minutes were intriguing - does "the fall of the Eleventh" refer to Matt Smith's final episode? I guess it does, but only time will tell.
Yeah Dorium mentions Trenzalore, which comes up at the end of series 7, and so I'm fairly sure the fall of the 11th refers to the end of Smith's reign this Christmas.

And I agree with you regarding the Cybermen, but personally I think their appearance in series 7 is the best one by far.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2433 on: July 21, 2013, 01:53:01 PM »
What? But doesn't that fuck over all the stuff with fixed points really, really bad?

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2434 on: July 21, 2013, 02:16:23 PM »
The Doctor actually dying wasn't inherently the fixed point. The fixed point was the universe believing the Doctor had died, I believe. A "Doctor" did die, though-- just a robotic copy of him, whilst he waited inside. It was enough to satisfy the (imaginary) laws of time from being infringed upon.

Offline adameastment

« Reply #2435 on: July 21, 2013, 02:32:50 PM »
The 50th Anniversary Trailer comes online soon!

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2436 on: July 21, 2013, 02:33:31 PM »

HOW SOON DJFKLSJDFLKj

Offline adameastment

« Reply #2437 on: July 21, 2013, 02:54:41 PM »

HOW SOON DJFKLSJDFLKj

No one knows, everyone has just been told.. "Soon"..

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2438 on: July 21, 2013, 03:45:58 PM »
The Doctor actually dying wasn't inherently the fixed point. The fixed point was the universe believing the Doctor had died, I believe. A "Doctor" did die, though-- just a robotic copy of him, whilst he waited inside. It was enough to satisfy the (imaginary) laws of time from being infringed upon.
This.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2439 on: July 21, 2013, 04:18:47 PM »
Makes sense, but why don't the onlookers (Amy, River, Rory and that CIA guy whose name I forgot) don't wonder why he ISN'T regenerating? I mean, Amy and Rory and River know about that.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2440 on: July 21, 2013, 07:30:34 PM »
He was shot again before he could

Offline Aefenwelg

« Reply #2441 on: July 21, 2013, 08:57:34 PM »
The Teselecta can look like anybody. I'm sure it can imitate regeneration.

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #2442 on: July 22, 2013, 05:25:37 AM »
Makes sense, but why don't the onlookers (Amy, River, Rory and that CIA guy whose name I forgot) don't wonder why he ISN'T regenerating? I mean, Amy and Rory and River know about that.

Regeneration isn't a come back from death regeneration. It's an "I've received a deadly blow that will kill, I must heal" regeneration. If the Doctor is completely killed before he can regenerate then it's game over. In the case of when River shot him; she shot him and that triggered the regeneration and then shot him again before it completed. You can see the yellowy glowing begin before he is shot the final time. 

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2443 on: July 22, 2013, 05:42:06 AM »
Yeah, I understand that, what I didn't understand was that a Teselecta could fake that as well, because it doesn't work that way. They would wonder why he didn't start regenerating after being hit.

Or are you suggesting that history was changed as far in that it was made to look like the first hit was deadly already, thus there was no regeneration that the Teselecta had to fake? That would make sense.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2444 on: July 22, 2013, 06:44:38 AM »
Double post! Today's episodes, as I shall be leaving for holiday tonight.

Asylum of the Daleks: I'm usually not the biggest fan of the Daleks, but this one was masterfully done. The whole concept behind the Asylum was pretty great and Oswin was hilarious. The ending was pretty awesome as well - I wonder if they remember? Can't have the Daleks not knowing the Doctor, after all. Great, great episode.

Dinosaurs in a Spaceship: A lot of fun, but very good as well. The whole idea of a Silurian ark was pretty nifty, and Solomon was a cool bad guy as well. I was kinda surprised that the Doctor left him to die, but he was a dick. Still out of character, though. Again, another great episode.

A Town Called Mercy: My favourite of the day. What I liked here was that you could sympathise with both the bad guy and the good guy - it wasn't even clear where the lines were drawn! Another great ending as well, that final shot of the Gunslinger was epic. Though I am starting to wonder... is there no overarching story arc in the seventh episode at all?

The Power of Three: Interesting premise and execution, but as a whole, it still left me a little unsatisfied, maybe because the way that the Doctor reversed everything seemed so ridiculously easy. What happened to those people with the fucked-up mouths, for instance? Still, it was an enjoyable episode, just not as good as the others.

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #2445 on: July 22, 2013, 10:34:13 AM »
Yeah, I understand that, what I didn't understand was that a Teselecta could fake that as well, because it doesn't work that way. They would wonder why he didn't start regenerating after being hit.

Or are you suggesting that history was changed as far in that it was made to look like the first hit was deadly already, thus there was no regeneration that the Teselecta had to fake? That would make sense.

It's never stated whether the Teselacta can perform these feats, it can look like anyone. There is nothing to say it can't give the illusion regeneration. As for whether Amy, Rory or River would wonder why he didn't regenerate. Sure they know he can and will attempt to when injured but they aren't experts in it. They've only seen River do it, she's only done it once and it took some time for her to do it. As far as the universe is concerned the Doctor was killed before he could regenerate.

Offline adameastment

« Reply #2446 on: July 22, 2013, 11:18:15 AM »
I watched Victory to the Daleks last night, I really enjoy the episode (this is the third or fourth time I've watched it). I just find it a bit weird that we haven't seen or heard from the different Daleks that were produced through the Progenitor. What were there, Drone, Strategist, Scientist, Eternal and Supreme, I know there were a couple of coloured Daleks in Asylum. But surely these Daleks being essentially the boss guys surely they should feature more?

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #2447 on: July 22, 2013, 11:34:28 AM »
Probably being saved for a special or the writers have just felt like going in a new direction.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #2448 on: July 22, 2013, 10:23:06 PM »
I've been avoiding this thread, but now I've finished Series 7 so HEY GUYS! I just started watching Doctor Who in May (got through all of the new stuff in about two months) and am now in love. That is all.

Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #2449 on: July 23, 2013, 01:08:24 AM »
I'd usually ask what your best episodes, Doctors and companions were, but I'm too distracted by the fact that t-shirt is amazing.

Why are there people on this planet who don't own that, and why am I one of them?