Author Topic: Doctor Who  (Read 216505 times)

Offline robwebster

Re: Doctor Who: The Name of the Doctor
« Reply #2345 on: June 30, 2013, 04:53:04 AM »
I still think HurtDoc is going to turn out to be Omega. If I'm right Rich and Rob owe me a TARDIS mug.
Yep - you are genuinely on. If you're wrong, what do we get? :D

Also - the next round will be delayed a bit! I was out last night, so couldn't do it then, and now I've got a new laptop, so I need to shift my stuff about a bit. Watch this space!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2346 on: June 30, 2013, 05:27:29 AM »
Cool, new laptops are always fun!

And yeah, good point, what do we get if you're wrong Adam? A quarter of a TARDIS mug each would make it even...

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #2347 on: June 30, 2013, 05:36:48 AM »
I already have a TARDIS mug. I will settle for nothing less than the Master's laser screwdriver.

Offline adameastment

« Reply #2348 on: June 30, 2013, 07:31:27 AM »
You know, I can see why you might say it's Omega. But then again I also think it's a crazy idea haha. We shall see!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2349 on: June 30, 2013, 08:33:49 AM »
I already have a TARDIS mug. I will settle for nothing less than the Master's laser screwdriver.
I had a set that included both that and the 10th Doctor's sonic, but I think I threw the Master's one away. Still got the sonic though. :biggrin:

I be am boner inducing.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #2350 on: June 30, 2013, 09:04:27 AM »
I had my tenth Doctor sonic screwdriver nicked - as in, properly burgled, someone stole a big pile of coats and bags, and I happened to have the sonic in my pocket. Within the next couple of weeks, a mate bought me the eleventh Doctor's screwdriver as a birthday present. I'll admit to finding the symmetry a little bit pleasing. I never found out who stole the coats. I don't know that it wasn't the atraxi.

Offline adameastment

« Reply #2351 on: June 30, 2013, 11:49:02 AM »
I had my tenth Doctor sonic screwdriver nicked - as in, properly burgled, someone stole a big pile of coats and bags, and I happened to have the sonic in my pocket. Within the next couple of weeks, a mate bought me the eleventh Doctor's screwdriver as a birthday present. I'll admit to finding the symmetry a little bit pleasing. I never found out who stole the coats. I don't know that it wasn't the atraxi.

Was this in your house or was it from a cloakroom or something similar at a gig or whatever?

Offline robwebster

« Reply #2352 on: June 30, 2013, 11:50:34 AM »
House party! Coats by the door, fairly hectic, loads of people coming and going, could've been anyone. And I brought my sonic screwdriver. Like a genius.

Offline adameastment

« Reply #2353 on: June 30, 2013, 11:54:25 AM »
House party! Coats by the door, fairly hectic, loads of people coming and going, could've been anyone. And I brought my sonic screwdriver. Like a genius.

Do you mind me asking, why you would take a sonic screwdriver? haha! It's pretty rock and roll :P

Offline robwebster

« Reply #2354 on: July 02, 2013, 11:09:38 AM »
Oh, I wish I knew!

Round 8's up!

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #2355 on: July 02, 2013, 07:44:22 PM »
I'll totally take you up on that Rob, but you have to bet on who he is as well, to make it fair of course. :lol that way if we're both wrong, we can just share a hearty laugh over a plate of fish fingers and custard.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #2356 on: July 03, 2013, 12:56:58 AM »
I'm fairly confident he's the eight-point-fifth Doctor. Between his eighth and ninth incarnations.

Which... I have just remembered how accurate you were with your predictions for TNoTD, and now I'm quivering ever so slightly. But, hey!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2357 on: July 03, 2013, 03:52:13 AM »
I also think he's the 8.5th (or true 9th) Doctor, but yeah Heretic was spot on last time. Secret insider?

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #2358 on: July 03, 2013, 05:21:36 AM »
Who is Omega? I tried learning about him on the wiki, but it just raises two more questions for every answer. That place is so damn esoteric.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #2359 on: July 03, 2013, 06:04:47 AM »
To make it simple, just use what happened with Omega in the actual series: he was a Time Lord who was trapped in a black hole and who tried to escape on a couple of occasions, the most memorable one being the story The Three Doctors. If you go to a wiki, you're likely to run into the massively fanwanky things the spin off media did with Omega after the original series went off the air. And your brain will melt.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #2360 on: July 03, 2013, 06:52:37 AM »
And melt it did! But so our Doctor is also Omega?
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #2361 on: July 03, 2013, 07:43:41 AM »
I actually don't think Omega's going to feature at all in the anniversary, so I'm the wrong guy to ask. In one of the two canon appearances of Omega, he somewhat copied the Doctor's body, but then promptly blew up.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #2362 on: July 03, 2013, 11:36:59 AM »
This is all very well and good, but I done got my pictures back.

Round nine. Pow!

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2363 on: July 03, 2013, 07:46:40 PM »
Well, if you'll go back a few pages you can totally read my long-arse Omega theory post. I just have this really, really odd feeling that there's something more going on that just "OMG A FORGOTTEN DOCTOR WHO KILLED ALL THE TIME LORDS SO SRSLY BAD!!!"

For someone who has a history of trying to steal and replicate the Doctor's body, it's not too far-fetched of a theory, I'd say, but hopefully Moffat will pull something that no one guesses at all.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #2364 on: July 04, 2013, 11:46:24 AM »
Round ten! And I have a feeling it might be the final round. Not a strong feeling, but we might be picking our final finalists.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2365 on: July 04, 2013, 04:26:56 PM »
So, are we ever going to find out what happened with The Doctor and Queen Elizabeth?

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2366 on: July 04, 2013, 11:20:03 PM »
Yes, sort of, during the 50th! The queen has been confirmed to be in the special. I assume Eleven will run into Ten during an adventure with the queen (perhaps with the Zygons?)

Offline robwebster

« Reply #2367 on: July 05, 2013, 12:10:05 PM »
This survivor is unreal. Final round. I could not overstate my surprise if I tried. The confirmed finalists only beat their competition by one vote each, but, man!

I've forgotten to conceal the votes again. Definitely completely to make it more exciting, and not at all because I'm a dozy pleb. Honest.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later

I be am boner inducing.

Offline adameastment

« Reply #2369 on: July 06, 2013, 08:10:34 AM »
https://www.radiotimes.com/news/2013-07-04/doctor-who-the-identity-of-john-hurts-mysterious-doctor-finally-revealed

There are some potential spoilers in the link, but apparently a Costume Designer has let slip the actual Character.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2370 on: July 06, 2013, 11:05:12 AM »
Moffat is notorious for false leaks though, so I take that with a pinch of salt. Entirely possible it was planted because that's the most popular theory online.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #2371 on: July 06, 2013, 04:11:03 PM »
POW, POW, KERPOW! Clash of the titans! And, Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS!!

Last round's results here. Almost there, kids.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2372 on: July 07, 2013, 02:30:21 AM »
Clash of the titans! And, Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS!!
:lol

So much great stuff in there, shame I can't vote for everything.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #2373 on: July 08, 2013, 04:43:34 PM »
So I started watching Doctor Who last Thursday, and I only have one question... why the hell didn't I do this sooner? The show is amazing!
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline robwebster

« Reply #2374 on: July 08, 2013, 04:52:41 PM »
Yes! Yes, it is!!

Where did you start from? Fifty years, eleven Doctors, there's a lot of plausible places.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2375 on: July 08, 2013, 05:07:24 PM »
Eh... I think it's the reboot, the 9th Doctor? First episode was "Rose", and then just onward from then. I've now seen the first two seasons (until "Doomsday") and I must say, I have rarely watched a show as consistent as this. My favourites from the first time watching are probably "Dalek", "Father's Day", "The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances", "Bad Wolf/The Parting of the Ways", "The Girl in the Fireplace", "The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit" and "Army of Ghosts/Doomsday".

... that is a lot of favourites, though it does illustrate my point about consistency. The only real clunkers during those two seasons were probably "Fear Her" and "Boom Town", but even those was entertaining. It's just that they pale against the brilliance of most of the other episodes.

So! How do the first two seasons stack up against what is to come? Have I already seen the best or haven't I even scratched the surface? I mean, I'll watch to the end anyway, but I'd be interested in your opinions on Seasons 3 to 7.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #2376 on: July 08, 2013, 05:16:43 PM »
Honestly?

Not even scratched the surface.

For all you say that the show's remarkably consistent... for my own tastes, series 2 is far and away the shakiest they've ever produced. That's as inconsistent as it ever gets. Both the first two series are good. The next five are better.

And, excellent! They are all the right favourites. How was it seeing Chris Eccleston regenerate?

Also, this isn't for you Scorp, but here's round three of the Doctor Who champions' survivor: VOTE!

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2377 on: July 08, 2013, 05:25:19 PM »
The Ecclestone regeneration was masterfully done, though I think it was overshadowed by the amazing part of Rose being all godlike and stuff before, which was pretty Deus Ex Machina, yeah, but it was just so amazingly done, I think I watched it three times and it sent shivers down my spine every time.

Also, what needs to be mentioned is the end of "Doomsday" - fuck that was the first time that I cried from watching a TV show. Rose did annoy me at times but damn that was an emotional farewell, though a large part of it was due to the setup, of Rose saying how this is the story of how she died, which lead me to believe that she'd fall into the void and I wasn't prepared for something lke this and oh my god I felt so sorry for them and that last moment where the Doctor faded away before he could say the last words and oh I'm rambling but I can't help it the shows so amazing gotta get some sleep.

The Shakespeare Code will probably still be there tomorrow. I hope. :P

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2378 on: July 09, 2013, 12:40:14 AM »
Welcome to the club Scrop!

And yeah, the show does just get better, as enjoyable as the first two seasons are. I think a new ranking is in order:

Series 5
Series 6
Series 7
Series 3
Series 4
Series 1
Series 2

I be am boner inducing.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2379 on: July 09, 2013, 06:07:17 AM »
Put Series 2 inbetween 6 and 7, and that's my ranking