Author Topic: Doctor Who  (Read 216675 times)

Offline robwebster

Re: Doctor Who: The Name of the Doctor
« Reply #2310 on: June 10, 2013, 03:33:38 PM »
Oh, god, I'm not carrying on 'til November! The survivor will be ancient history by the fiftieth - nothing'll happen to it. It'll just remain a record of where we were at this point in time.

ETA: Also, lots of rumours flying around about Rory Kinnear as the next Doctor. Hokum, but it's a nice idea. Slightly inspired. I'd like that.

This would be the new recurring villain in that case.
That's a point. People keep going on about female Doctors, or non-white Doctors - they've never had one who acted fucking a pig on live television.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #2311 on: June 10, 2013, 03:43:48 PM »
Yeah I'm not too fond of the Rory guy, he doesn't scream "Doctor" to me and I dunno if he'd be the best for the part judging by what roles he has played beforehand. I liked the other three from the previous rumor a bit more.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #2312 on: June 10, 2013, 03:48:25 PM »
I quite like the idea of Ben Wisha playing the Doctor.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #2313 on: June 10, 2013, 04:06:20 PM »
Series five results!

Series six!

VOTE ON, MY CHILDREN! Also, crikey - that last S5 tiebreaker really does drill right down. Two eps so completely neck and neck.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2314 on: June 11, 2013, 08:13:24 AM »
I quite like the idea of Ben Wisha playing the Doctor.

He's certainly more Dr. Who looking than Rory Kinnear - who looks more like a fat bald Peter Davison.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #2315 on: June 11, 2013, 04:49:51 PM »
Tell you who else looks like a fatter, balder Peter Davison?

Peter Davison!

Also, survivor! Series 6, round 2! It's, er, quite the corker.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2316 on: June 14, 2013, 08:04:20 AM »
Now that I've fixed the poll for Rob, here is the link to round 4 on his behalf: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=37485.0

Another tiebreaker!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2317 on: June 15, 2013, 07:48:17 PM »
Finally finished Season 3. It wasn't all great, but it was much better than Season 2, and definitely featured some series highs overall. I liked it, and am looking forward to Season 4. Tennant's finally won me over completely.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2318 on: June 15, 2013, 07:57:49 PM »
Local PBS station is currently showing "The Daleks"....I've never ever watched anything older than "The fourth Doctor"...so this is a very novel experience for me.

Even though it's obviously a bit dated looking...I'm surprised at how much I'm enjoying it.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2319 on: June 16, 2013, 04:02:42 AM »
A lot of the writing was good right back to the start, just the production values were absolutely terrible.

I'm really enjoying getting through the fourth Doctor at the moment, just one season and a bit to go through and then I'm on to number 5.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #2320 on: June 16, 2013, 05:06:50 AM »
Finally finished Season 3. It wasn't all great, but it was much better than Season 2, and definitely featured some series highs overall. I liked it, and am looking forward to Season 4. Tennant's finally won me over completely.
Hurrah! I think one thing with S3, is that it starts well, drops off a little in the middle, but gradually regains its mojo before culminating in a mojosplosion with Human Nature, Blink and the finale one after another.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2321 on: June 16, 2013, 12:36:54 PM »
I don't really love the S3 finale episodes that much. They're probably my least favorite out of all the finales.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2322 on: June 16, 2013, 02:48:10 PM »
In series 3 I'm the same as Rob, love everything from Human Nature onwards!

Also, don't forget to vote in round 5 of the series 6 survivor: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=37507.0

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #2323 on: June 16, 2013, 06:58:59 PM »
The end of series three was like this for me:

Utopia: OMG WHAT IS THIS CLIFFHANGER ARRRGHHH AWESOME.

The Sound of Drums: Okay, that cliffhanger resolution was a little rushed, but it played fair OMG WHAT IS THIS CLIFFHANGER ARRRGH AWESOME.

The Last of the Time Lords: What the fuck did I just watch?

RTD was a master (no pun intended) of building to finales, but when he got there, things tended to fall apart with frightening rapidity. He never stuck the landing on any of his finales, though he came close on The End of Time. I always wish that we'd gotten the RTD that wrote Midnight more often than the one that turned the Doctor into a house elf.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2324 on: June 17, 2013, 01:27:38 PM »
I really liked the series 3 finale, but yeah Utopia was easily the best part of it.

Me and Anna have now reached the half-way point of series 6, and the first half of the series is still so damn brilliant. Wondering how well the second half is going to stack up this time - I actually don't remember some of the episodes all that well, so I don't think it made a great impression on me, but I'm hoping it's aged well.

On which note - round 6: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=37530.0

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2325 on: June 18, 2013, 12:20:47 PM »
Round 7: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=37561.0

And I've realised why I don't remember series 6B all that well compared to most episodes - I didn't rewatch any episodes. Usually I'll go back and rewatch at some point (for example I rewatched 6A during the mid-series break, just before 6B started up) but I never did so. It was in autumn 2011 so I think it was the combination of crazy final exams for my professional qualification and meeting a lady, just never got round to it.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #2326 on: June 18, 2013, 12:24:27 PM »
I always feel guilty when I come in here and you've promoted my survivor for me. Guilty and appreciative. Guiltpreciative!

It is funny, how much of a difference a rewatch or two can make. I've got a similar thing with S7, I've deliberately not rewatched them, so they'll feel relatively "fresh" for longer. It's going to make the survivor feel very weird. Part two in particular - I gave Nightmare in Silver two watches, Hide two watches, The Name of the Doctor two watches, and The Snowmen half a dozen. The rest, basically just once.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2327 on: June 18, 2013, 12:40:57 PM »
I think Crimson Horror was the only one I watched once, the rest I managed to catch twice. But yeah, it really does make a difference, especially in seeing a lot of the connections within story arcs, little things you didn't notice before.

We watched Let's Kill Hitler last night, and I have to say it was tremendous fun on second viewing.

EDIT: Oh and don't worry about me promoting the survivor, I'm really enjoying it and appreciative of the effort you're putting into running it, so if you forget to update in here then I'm always happy to do so.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #2328 on: June 20, 2013, 02:49:00 PM »
FINAL ROUND!

I've been doing the S7 banners today, but I've been trying to do something cool with them, and they've come out kind of shit, so I might be a little late starting it while I faff about on photoshop for an hour or two.

Etc. etc. etc. Looked ace in my head, hasn't quite worked, probably redo them all tomorrow.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #2329 on: June 25, 2013, 02:33:59 PM »
Here's series seven round four. I quite like this stage of the survivor. Still loads of episodes left in, but getting rid of the ones without a chance.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2330 on: June 25, 2013, 03:00:10 PM »
Indeedy.

I like the banners you came up with in the end, look very swish! Your ideas for the red and green were very cool, and I think they look pretty good actually, but it's probably easier to do it the regular way!

On my rewatch with Anna, we just finished the God Complex, forgot how much I enjoyed it. I also now get the reference that the minotaur is related to the Nimon, having recently watched the fourth Doctor story The Horns of Nimon!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline adameastment

« Reply #2331 on: June 25, 2013, 03:10:37 PM »
I always feel guilty when I come in here and you've promoted my survivor for me. Guilty and appreciative. Guiltpreciative!

It is funny, how much of a difference a rewatch or two can make. I've got a similar thing with S7, I've deliberately not rewatched them, so they'll feel relatively "fresh" for longer. It's going to make the survivor feel very weird. Part two in particular - I gave Nightmare in Silver two watches, Hide two watches, The Name of the Doctor two watches, and The Snowmen half a dozen. The rest, basically just once.

I feel The Name of the Doctor really needed two watches. Not because it was hard to follow, because it was so good!

Offline robwebster

« Reply #2332 on: June 25, 2013, 05:05:31 PM »
Well! There must only be about four people who aren't 100% fond of The Name of the Doctor, but... I'm afraid I've decided I'm one of them!

Not that it was a waste of time. Not at all. So glad I watched it. Love all the mythology stuff. The shots of the old Doctors, Clara sending him into the TARDIS, utter fanboy glee, properly skin-prickling. But the story... didn't work for me! Didn't care about the Great Intelligence, or the Whispermen, didn't believe the Paternoster gang were ever in danger. All the stuff with Trenzalore and the tomb - while it's awash with great ideas, the Trenzalore stuff leaves me a little cold.

Lovely touches - gorgeous flourishes, so much good stuff in there for any Doctor Who fan - but a little insubstantial. But, don't worry, I expect literally nobody to agree. q: And more power to everyone else!

And, cheers ariich!
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 05:16:40 PM by robwebster »

Offline adameastment

« Reply #2333 on: June 25, 2013, 06:50:43 PM »
Well! There must only be about four people who aren't 100% fond of The Name of the Doctor, but... I'm afraid I've decided I'm one of them!

Not that it was a waste of time. Not at all. So glad I watched it. Love all the mythology stuff. The shots of the old Doctors, Clara sending him into the TARDIS, utter fanboy glee, properly skin-prickling. But the story... didn't work for me! Didn't care about the Great Intelligence, or the Whispermen, didn't believe the Paternoster gang were ever in danger. All the stuff with Trenzalore and the tomb - while it's awash with great ideas, the Trenzalore stuff leaves me a little cold.

Lovely touches - gorgeous flourishes, so much good stuff in there for any Doctor Who fan - but a little insubstantial. But, don't worry, I expect literally nobody to agree. q: And more power to everyone else!

And, cheers ariich!

I think most of the episodes on this half of Series 7 have been a little insubstantial, possibly excepting The Crimson Horror, but in my opinion it was what it created which is why I enjoyed it. I mean, it's created a lot of hype for the 50th, who is Hurt's character?

Who do you actually think Hurt will be playing?

Offline robwebster

« Reply #2334 on: June 26, 2013, 12:54:07 AM »
Copout answer?

...The Doctor!

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #2335 on: June 26, 2013, 01:06:48 AM »

And, cheers ariich!
I agree completely. But as one that hasn't watched any of the old Who (and don't care/plan to) it was evern worse because I didn't care at all about the throwbacks. I can appreciate them, catering for their fans which is cool, but didn't affect me in any way.

Offline adameastment

« Reply #2336 on: June 26, 2013, 06:16:03 AM »
Copout answer?

...The Doctor!

Haha, yeaaaah, but.. Which one? I think he's going to be the 8th Doctor personally, especially since he wasn't seen by Clara in the Doctors time stream. What he did wasn't in "The Name of the Doctor" especially committing genocide to two separate races. I think that Eccleston was only going to be bought in as another version of the Doctor to have 4 Doctors involved (and not affecting the storyline as much as it might have), and what I would like to see in the 50th is a break on the time lock for Gallifrey and the time war in general. I know Rassilon is utterly mental but how bad can it be? :P

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #2337 on: June 26, 2013, 06:28:26 AM »
They already broke out in Dave Tennants reign.

Offline adameastment

« Reply #2338 on: June 26, 2013, 06:31:38 AM »

But they were thrown right back in again after the link was broken :)

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #2339 on: June 26, 2013, 07:18:07 AM »

But they were thrown right back in again after the link was broken :)

True; to be honest though I would have rather they had stuck with the story of The Doctor killing them all. I don't really like that they are simply stuck in a pocket of time. To me, it would have added more depth to The Doctor's character and there is nothing stopping him from going back in time to the Time War. However, having them all still alive, to me, takes the epic away from the war.

As for the 8th Doctor, I would rather the incarnation that was showed to Clara be more of an in between or defective regeneration or something then have it be the 8th. I reason for this is that the 8th already has a ton of back story from novels, comic, radio etc.. Granted the TV show is the true canon but I imagine there is a lot of good history already in place.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #2340 on: June 28, 2013, 04:24:29 PM »
8.5 (or, rather, secret 9, making Eccleston 10) is the only explanation that makes a great deal of sense... but an aging 8 would probably be second, if it's not that. But yes, I think they'll say it's the bloke Paul McGann regenerated into, rather than McGann himself. Not least cos... if they wanted an aged Paul McGann, they could've cast Paul McGann! Not that you need an excuse to cast John Hurt as the Doctor, per se. Inspired.

Also - battle of the Moffat stories! Earlier than I was expecting either of them to go. Not displeased with either of their placements, though.

Offline adameastment

« Reply #2341 on: June 28, 2013, 04:50:41 PM »
8.5 (or, rather, secret 9, making Eccleston 10) is the only explanation that makes a great deal of sense... but an aging 8 would probably be second, if it's not that. But yes, I think they'll say it's the bloke Paul McGann regenerated into, rather than McGann himself. Not least cos... if they wanted an aged Paul McGann, they could've cast Paul McGann! Not that you need an excuse to cast John Hurt as the Doctor, per se. Inspired.

Also - battle of the Moffat stories! Earlier than I was expecting either of them to go. Not displeased with either of their placements, though.

I'm having this conversation over on the Iron Maiden Fan Club forums as well, and that seems to be the general consensus. I would just prefer it to be McGanns Doctor, purely because (to me) that would make a lot of sense because he was involved in the time war. However if he's made out to be a new generation, then I'm cool with that as well haha

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2342 on: June 29, 2013, 07:56:35 PM »
I still think HurtDoc is going to turn out to be Omega. If I'm right Rich and Rob owe me a TARDIS mug.

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #2343 on: June 29, 2013, 08:09:44 PM »
I still think HurtDoc is going to turn out to be Omega. If I'm right Rich and Rob owe me a TARDIS mug.

I don't see how that would make sense.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2344 on: June 30, 2013, 01:37:07 AM »
Deal.

So is that a mug that can fit more tea/coffee than you'd think by looking at it?

I be am boner inducing.