Author Topic: Doctor Who  (Read 216430 times)

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
Re: Doctor Who: The Name of the Doctor
« Reply #2240 on: June 01, 2013, 04:24:26 PM »
I was talking about this to my best friend, and we're in shock, since we both think Matt Smith is the best Doctor period, and she mentioned first a lady doctor, and then suggested they get a red head to play the Doctor so he could finally be ginger.

So I said "fuck how much it would confuse people, cast Karen Gillan as a lady Doctor!"

Hey, it'd work for me  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #2241 on: June 01, 2013, 05:25:08 PM »
Tears. This is exciting, but also heartbreaking...

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2242 on: June 01, 2013, 06:31:16 PM »
I was talking about this to my best friend, and we're in shock, since we both think Matt Smith is the best Doctor period, and she mentioned first a lady doctor, and then suggested they get a red head to play the Doctor so he could finally be ginger.

So I said "fuck how much it would confuse people, cast Karen Gillan as a lady Doctor!"

Hey, it'd work for me  :lol

It would certainly change Dr. Who forever.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #2243 on: June 01, 2013, 06:33:59 PM »
I go out for ONE DRINK and this happens!!

Christmas just got a lot more exciting.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #2244 on: June 01, 2013, 06:54:01 PM »
Okay. Here's series four, final round...

And here's series five. The Victory of the Daleks font is wrong. It'll be smaller, with decapitalised conjunctions, when it wins or loses. (SPOILER: Loses.)

Fuck. I get to learn Matt Smith's leaving TWICE!!

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #2245 on: June 01, 2013, 07:05:32 PM »
I'd like to get a smooth Idris Elba as the next doctor.

Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #2246 on: June 01, 2013, 07:13:15 PM »
Oh, god. This is just sinking in.

I'm going to have to change my avatar!! Matt Smith is so completely my Doctor, right now. I love him to bits - he could play the role for another three years and I'm sure he'd find so many wonderful, new, exciting ways to play it. But! So will the new man. Or, woman. Serious option, since TDW clarified that can happen.

Crikey. Huge shoes to fill. The most incredible, Doctorriest Doctor of the twenty-first century. And the shoes he had to fill were huge enough already.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2247 on: June 01, 2013, 07:16:09 PM »
Indeed ! How do you replace the guy who replaced David Tennant ?

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #2248 on: June 01, 2013, 07:20:04 PM »
Jimmy Carr would make a good doctor  ;)

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #2249 on: June 01, 2013, 07:28:54 PM »
Jimmy Carr would make a good doctor  ;)

YES!!!! LOL

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2250 on: June 01, 2013, 07:48:52 PM »
Ugh. God No.

" Hi. My name is Amy Pond. "

" I think you're a cunt and you love a cock in the arse. "

However- that WOULD change Dr. Who forever ! ;)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2251 on: June 01, 2013, 07:49:38 PM »
Alan Davies could work.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #2252 on: June 01, 2013, 08:44:55 PM »
I am very saddened by this. Matt Smith was such a great Doctor, and I thought with this Clara business things had finally gotten going with him.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2253 on: June 01, 2013, 08:47:40 PM »
The next Doctor will be a metacrisis combination of me and robwebster.

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #2254 on: June 01, 2013, 08:55:52 PM »
I may be alone on this but the next Doctor should be Hugh Laurie. He basically played the role for 8 years on House, he was just missing the TARDIS.
That Drummer Guy's Reviews, Interviews, Playlists, Radio Shows, & Social Media:
https://www.thatdrummerguy.com

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #2255 on: June 01, 2013, 09:14:51 PM »
I don't know how I feel about that. Hugh Laurie's a good actor and all, but I'd like to have a playful doctor and I'm not getting that vibe from him. Then again, wtih Matt Smith's incarnation being a generally playful character, it would be interesting to see a switch back towards the more serious side of things.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #2256 on: June 01, 2013, 09:46:19 PM »
I thought Matt had said earlier that he will stay (as well as Clara) for another season. This is kind of a surprise for me.

inb4 Clara is the new Doctor.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2257 on: June 01, 2013, 11:49:40 PM »
Seconded for Hugh to being the next doctor, only if Stephen Fry is his companion

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #2258 on: June 02, 2013, 12:50:11 AM »
I thought Matt had said earlier that he will stay (as well as Clara) for another season. This is kind of a surprise for me.

inb4 Clara is the new Doctor.

I remember Smith's "confirmation" of being in season eight came out quite a bit later.  I suspected he would be leaving after the 50th.

And seriously, I wouldn't bet against Clara being the next doctor.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2259 on: June 02, 2013, 03:23:32 AM »
Smith never really confirmed anything, but news sites reported it as such. Although fair play to Digital Spy, they were clever to qualify it by saying that he "appeared to have confirmed" it. https://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s7/doctor-who/news/a482463/doctor-who-star-matt-smith-i-will-be-back-for-series-8.html

Read his actual quotes. I remember when I read that, I thought it sounded very vague, and the sort of thing he'd say if he was leaving.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #2260 on: June 02, 2013, 04:26:23 AM »
I'd like to get a smooth Idris Elba as the next doctor.

Matt Smith's look in that just makes me think "Cybermen, I will end you"
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2261 on: June 02, 2013, 04:53:18 AM »
Yep, sad to hear about this.  Just as I was getting back into Doctor Who after a 30-year break!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2262 on: June 02, 2013, 05:21:45 AM »
Technically, given the events of the finale, shouldnt this also be the last Regen?
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2263 on: June 02, 2013, 05:27:23 AM »
Technically, given the events of the finale, shouldnt this also be the last Regen?
As far as I'm aware, the official stance on the whole 13 regenerations issue is that it doesn't apply. When Matt Smith appeared in the Sarah Jane Adventures (which is pretty much canon) he confirmed that in theory he can regenerated indefinitely.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2264 on: June 02, 2013, 06:50:56 AM »
:lol You kinda paint yourself into a corner when you establish that your character can only be played by 13 actors and then actors keep leaving.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #2265 on: June 02, 2013, 09:46:37 AM »
The 13 regenerations thing has so many outs around it that you can safely ignore it. It was done at a time when the show was on its fourth Doctor, and likely the production staff simply wasn't thinking in terms of actually getting to 13. The simplest out is to say it's a rule that was enforced by the Time Lords and with them gone, no one's to say how often a Time Lord can regenerate. Or best thing, just stare patiently at the fans until they stop being so pedantic.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2266 on: June 02, 2013, 10:25:41 AM »
The simplest out is to say it's a rule that was enforced by the Time Lords and with them gone, no one's to say how often a Time Lord can regenerate.
This is probably the best way out of it, and actually would fit perfectly within the canon. If we're going by the classic series, then the Master during the 6th Doctor's reign is supposed to have used up his regenerations which is why he needs to take the body of another person to stay alive, and then later he is granted more regenerations (and indeed in the new series continues to regenerate as we see both Derek Jacobi and John Simm playing him).

I don't know why people would harp on about the Doctor running out of regenerations while glossing over the fact that the Master is still around.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #2267 on: June 03, 2013, 01:04:50 AM »
Possibly, I'd think, cos the Master's devious and fears death like the Doctor doesn't - he's happy to steal regenerations.

That said, the Doctor was a hardened time warrior. First off, I don't really believe a Time Lord has exactly thirteen bodies any more than a human has exactly eighty years - it's an approximation. Good behaviour can extend it, poor choices can reduce it. Second, regeneration seems to be tied to that yellow energy. Doesn't seem a stretch to presume they had huge stockpiles of it on Gallifrey. Stockpiles that they might start doling out willy-nilly if there were some kind of crisis. In my head, this is how the Master regenerated, too.

Also, S5R2.

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #2268 on: June 03, 2013, 04:54:43 AM »
The 10th Doctor regenerated without change using his severed hand. So there are ways around it.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #2269 on: June 03, 2013, 12:59:13 PM »
I think I'll probably like whoever they get as the new Doctor, but I'm hoping for it either being Damien Molony or Harry Lloyd. Anyone else having any personal hopes for who gets cast as Twelve? :biggrin:
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #2270 on: June 03, 2013, 01:26:06 PM »
As far as I'm aware, the official stance on the whole 13 regenerations issue is that it doesn't apply. When Matt Smith appeared in the Sarah Jane Adventures (which is pretty much canon) he confirmed that in theory he can regenerated indefinitely.

I think Denton was referring to the face that Clara said something like "I saw every version of you - 11 faces, all you".
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2271 on: June 03, 2013, 02:34:06 PM »
That's because had she not stepped into the timeline and saved the Doctor, he would have died right there. So there were no other faces FOR her to see, because his timeline was seemingly ending. The GI stepped into the timeline and started reverting his previous victories, not his future ones, as those wouldn't have killed Eleven. Clara stopped this from happening, and thus allowed the Doctor to have future regenerations.

The most peculiar thing is that they made such a deal of the window on the TARDIS glass being broken, and then seeing the same break in the TARDIS that had leaked on the outside becoming a massive grave piece. I do not think we are quite finished with Trenzalore, especially since the episode ended with Eleven still in his own timeline at Trenzalore.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2272 on: June 03, 2013, 03:10:24 PM »
I think I'll probably like whoever they get as the new Doctor, but I'm hoping for it either being Damien Molony or Harry Lloyd. Anyone else having any personal hopes for who gets cast as Twelve? :biggrin:
Personally I can't see it being anyone who has been in the show before, so that would rule out Harry Lloyd. I wouldn't be surprised if they do what they did with Smith (and to some extent with Tenant) and get someone who's not very big yet, so Molony could be an option.

That's because had she not stepped into the timeline and saved the Doctor, he would have died right there. So there were no other faces FOR her to see, because his timeline was seemingly ending. The GI stepped into the timeline and started reverting his previous victories, not his future ones, as those wouldn't have killed Eleven. Clara stopped this from happening, and thus allowed the Doctor to have future regenerations.
Yeah I didn't get any implication that she meant all of his faces including in the future - as you say, the whole idea was to cancel out his past victories. I also think the constant references to the number 11 support the idea of John Hurt being between Doctors 8 and 9.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #2273 on: June 03, 2013, 04:35:07 PM »
Now is the time to cast Samuel Jackson as the Doctor. Just think about all the possibilities.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #2274 on: June 03, 2013, 04:44:52 PM »

The most peculiar thing is that they made such a deal of the window on the TARDIS glass being broken, and then seeing the same break in the TARDIS that had leaked on the outside becoming a massive grave piece. I do not think we are quite finished with Trenzalore, especially since the episode ended with Eleven still in his own timeline at Trenzalore.

Matt Smith's words, from the press release:

"It's been an honour to play this part, to follow the legacy of brilliant actors, and helm the TARDIS for a spell with 'the ginger, the nose and the impossible one'. But when ya gotta go, ya gotta go and Trenzalore calls. Thank you guys."

Could be an analogy, but... yes, Trenzalore calls!