Author Topic: Doctor Who  (Read 216507 times)

Offline masterthes

Re: Doctor Who: The Name of the Doctor
« Reply #2170 on: May 19, 2013, 09:11:50 AM »
oh, and in a somewhat unrelated note, did anybody catch the promo for that new show with Ten and Rory?

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2171 on: May 19, 2013, 09:31:33 AM »
Probably the best episode of the season.  Both halves. I was afraid it would be too much crammed into one episode, like "Let's Kill Hitler" or "The Wedding of River Song" but it wasn't.  It was brilliant.
Completely agree, and I think that the way it leads in to the 50th special helps a lot with that. I've said recently that my only real issue with series 7, which I otherwise love, has been pacing. Without any two-parters, it feels like there's been so many stories, and none have really had a chance to develop. That's kind been the case since series 6b really. But this finale was perfectly paced because it seems as though it's sort of the first half of the 50th celebration really.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #2172 on: May 19, 2013, 10:57:08 AM »
I'm having a lot of fun with fanboys railing against how it's horrible for Moffat to suggest there were more Doctors than we know about when it was something the old series did on more than one occasion-mostly because people are assuming, for some stupid reason, that this means the Ninth Doctor never existed, because of some anonymous source quoted in the Sun. And trusting a source from the Sun is patently silly  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2173 on: May 19, 2013, 11:41:18 AM »
So, now that I'm all caught up with the current Doctor Who, I'm going to attempt to watch the old to tide me over until November. I just got done watching the first two episodes. I want to strangle Susan  :lol

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #2174 on: May 19, 2013, 04:28:22 PM »
My brain felt like it was collapsing on itself when John Hurt showed up. I wonder what role he'll play in the over all series. Maybe he's an incarnation of the Doctor from the Time War that the Doctor can't accept as part of himself. That would mean that he would've had to existed between the eighth and ninth doctors. Some of what the Ninth Doctor said implies that he had just recently regenerated. Maybe from this mystery doctor?
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2175 on: May 20, 2013, 07:02:49 AM »
My brain felt like it was collapsing on itself when John Hurt showed up.

Exactly this, I just stood from the chair and didn't know what to do, my brain just wasn't functioning correctly. By far the best episode in Series 7, no other episode comes even close and to be honest I was expecting so when I saw Moffat was the writer. I hate having to wait till November for more awesome  :-\
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #2176 on: May 20, 2013, 07:12:35 AM »
Last night I had this dream that I was watching the Doctor Who 50th special. All that I really saw was the Mystery Doctor talking to Rose Tyler.
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2177 on: May 20, 2013, 07:36:24 AM »
Have to say, I did think that John Hurt's character might be some incarnation of the Doctor or related (like the Valeyard, Dream Lord, etc) based on some quite vague comments that he made in relation to the 50th special. But I was definitely not expecting that epic reveal at the end of the finale episode, just fantastic!

The more I think about that finale, the more I love it. I need to watch it again.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2178 on: May 20, 2013, 10:23:10 AM »
mostly because people are assuming, for some stupid reason, that this means the Ninth Doctor never existed, because of some anonymous source quoted in the Sun.
Really? I haven't heard that anywhere, but it's quite obviously not the case, because we saw Ecclestone regenerate into Tenant.

However, the most popular theory seems to be that Hurt is the real 9th incarnation, and therefore Ecclstone is tenth, Tenant elevent and Smith number twelve. They all still exist, just with different numbers. I think that's quite plausible.

I also like the idea of him being a pre-Hartnell Doctor.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #2179 on: May 20, 2013, 11:05:33 AM »
8th into 9th is the only regeneration we've not seen. Unless there was one pre-Hartnell, it's the only place John Hurt could fit. Course, JH hasn't earned the name of the Doctor - Matt Smith's still the eleventh Doctor, but it's his twelfth body.

I wonder how widely accepted he'll be as a Doctor. Like, on Wikipedia, there's the pictures of all eleven Doctors - wonder if John Hurt'll be added. I hope so. I really love the idea. It's really big, and exciting. Properly changes the man's history. I can't wait to see how this pans out.

Also - this. Second-to-last round, S3 survivor. Three big, big stories. I'm guessing most people will either find the choice ridiculously hard, or really quite easy, not much in between.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2180 on: May 20, 2013, 11:08:14 AM »
Do you think he'll just be a one off for the anniversary special?

Offline robwebster

« Reply #2181 on: May 20, 2013, 11:11:16 AM »
I don't think we'll see him beyond the anniversary, no. At a guess. Would be cool, though!

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #2182 on: May 20, 2013, 11:29:06 AM »
Well, there is apparently one episode in the time of the second or third doctor where the thirteenth incarnation turns up and is eeeeeeevil. Note also that it was pretty much stated that JH is not a doctor who has yet existed (ie. he's not pre-smith in the regeneration cycle). I'm pretty sure it's implied that he is the thirteenth (as I doubt it'll be possible to get the original actor of The Valiard as he is known to do the same role).
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline robwebster

« Reply #2183 on: May 20, 2013, 11:44:46 AM »
I don't know. Smith talks of Hurt's actions in the past-tense. They share a common knowledge of what went down - I figured they were definitely discussing something they'd both already done, at the end, there.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #2184 on: May 20, 2013, 12:01:34 PM »
Technically, it's more than possible that the actions did take place (chronologically) in the past.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #2185 on: May 20, 2013, 12:31:44 PM »
Wait. One of the early Doctors met his thirteenth self? Anyone know the episode?
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2186 on: May 20, 2013, 12:33:12 PM »
8th into 9th is the only regeneration we've not seen. Unless there was one pre-Hartnell, it's the only place John Hurt could fit. Course, JH hasn't earned the name of the Doctor - Matt Smith's still the eleventh Doctor, but it's his twelfth body.

I wonder how widely accepted he'll be as a Doctor. Like, on Wikipedia, there's the pictures of all eleven Doctors - wonder if John Hurt'll be added. I hope so. I really love the idea. It's really big, and exciting. Properly changes the man's history. I can't wait to see how this pans out.

Also - this. Second-to-last round, S3 survivor. Three big, big stories. I'm guessing most people will either find the choice ridiculously hard, or really quite easy, not much in between.

WHo were the 8th and 9th doctors ?

1.Hartnell
2.Troughton
3.Pertwee
4.Tom
5.Davison
6.Colin
7.McCoy
8.McGann ?
9.Eccleston...  Did we never see McGann regenerate into Eccleston ?

Offline robwebster

« Reply #2187 on: May 20, 2013, 12:57:44 PM »
Yep, spot on - list 'n' all! McGann into Eccleston's the only regeneration that's not been shown on-screen. Just reappeared as Eccleston, fully formed. Would make sense for John Hurt to be playing the man McGann regenerated into.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2188 on: May 20, 2013, 12:59:31 PM »
Wait. One of the early Doctors met his thirteenth self? Anyone know the episode?
I haven't heard of it, but I haven't seen all of classic Who, I'm about 2/3 of the way through the Tom Baker years at the moment.

But I do think it's much more likely that he is an old Doctor than a future one, and I think the incarnation between 8 and 9 is the most likely one there as well.

Arguments against a future Doctor:
 - Smith knows a lot about whatever it was that Hurt did, but Doctors do not know about future incarnations. In Time Crash, Davison does not recognise Tenant. In The Next Doctor, at first Tenant believes that David Morrisey is a future Doctor.
 - If Hurt was a future Doctor, then they'd be screwing themselves over when they reach that number, unless they have a particular plan to do it very soon (e.g. Smith dies, and have a very brief 12th Doctor).
 - Moffat said that the finale would change Who forever. Introducing another old Doctor into the mix does that - simply seeing a future incarnation does not.

Assuming it is an old Doctor, arguments for it being between 8 and 9:
 - As Rob says, assuming Hartnell is the first, then the only regeneration we've not seen is here.
 - It could potentially be pre-Hartnell, but this is unlikely, as Smith refers to the name of the Doctor as being a promise, and Hurt broke that promise. Can hardly break a promise before it has been made.

So yeah, that's my analysis. Have to say though, although I've been loving the show, this is the most excited I've been about it since middle of series 6. Nice to have that feeling back!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2189 on: May 20, 2013, 01:17:38 PM »
Yep, spot on - list 'n' all! McGann into Eccleston's the only regeneration that's not been shown on-screen. Just reappeared as Eccleston, fully formed. Would make sense for John Hurt to be playing the man McGann regenerated into.

I do know ny early who history ! Was mad on the original incarnation when I was a nipper !

My favourites were Tom Baker and Peter Davison...

I wasn't sure if the tv movie with Paul Mcgann was regarded as canon.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #2190 on: May 20, 2013, 06:53:49 PM »
Alright, guys, this is going to sound a bit out there but I'm proposing another theory that I think might actually be plausible that no one's really talked about.

Throughout series 5 and 6, there are very thinly veiled references to Omega. Omega is one of the founders of Time Lord society, and was thrown into a parallel universe after collapsing a star and inventing time travel. Whilst being stuck in this parallel universe (the antimatter universe), Omega went absolutely insane, and gained total control over this universe. This was the plot of the Three Doctors, the first multi-Doctor special, in which the three Doctors united to take on Omega in his antimatter universe. He was stopped, but it was left very vague.

Here's where my theory comes in. Omega had a sort of device that replicated DNA. In the classic series, he was trying to get the Doctor's DNA in order to have a body in which to exist in, as he was no longer anything but a body of armor. His biodata replicator worked later on in the serial Arc of Infinity, when he replicated himself as the Fifth Doctor. The body then began to dissolve, and once again he was defeated by the Doctor.

Moffat has stated before that he wanted to recreate or assume the feel of "The Three Doctors" again, and subsequently we see references to Omega throughout this entire Silence arc. The soldiers in "A Good Man Goes to War" bear the Omega symbol, and the Omega symbol is also used sparingly throughout other places, such as upon doors and on River Song's jacket at one point in series 5.

So, what could this all mean? I'm thinking perhaps John Hurt is playing the Doctor, but also playing Omega. Omega has perfected his biodata replicator and has replicated the Doctor's DNA perfectly to the point where the Doctor believes it is truly himself. So why is he inside the Doctor's timestream, then, Heretic? Well, that is a bit shaky but I'm thinking maybe a few things could explain it. If he had replicated himself as the Doctor and gone into the Doctor's past, perhaps even to the Time War, then the Doctor would have recognized him as a future version of himself, or something along those lines (I'm imagining the Doctor giving the JH Doctor a scan with his screwdriver and being like, "yep, he's me!") and then the JH Doctor doing something absolutely horrid and then disappearing.

Another theory is perhaps he also entered into the Doctor's timestream a la the GI and Clara, but being the Doctor replicate, wasn't split into millions of pieces and is attempting to claim the Doctor's life for himself. Omega was always very angry and jealous and wanted to become the Doctor so he could remain in this universe due to needing Gallifreyan DNA, so I have a feeling that Omega has been behind the scenes this entire time manipulating the Doctor and drawing him towards a terrible fate which he will have to overcome with the help of Tennant in the 50th. I can see the JH Doctor teaming up with Tennant and Smith (further proved by Tennant and Smith in a clip where they said a third party watched the two's interactions with bemusement and the fact that JH revealed he was partaking in a "trinity" with the Doctors) and then 10 and 11 discovering that this Doctor is not truly the Doctor, and having to stop his grand scheme.

Omega could have engineered the Silence to stop the Doctor or to kill him, and could have been leading behind the scenes the entire time.

In an even crazier theory, maybe the Doctor was split into two regenerations during the Time War-- as he regenerated into 9, his use of The Moment or whatever else he did to Time Lock Gallifrey split him into two incarnations. After committing his unspeakable horror, maybe the Doctor locked him inside his own timestream, and Omega engineered the entire events of The Name of the Doctor in order to cause the timestream to be opened, allowing the JH Doctor to escape.

I don't know. Just some interesting speculation, and I know Moffat has some sort of grand arc behind all of this, and the fact that Omega is a classic anniversary special Big Bad. The signs from earlier hint to it, and while I am almost positive that Omega will be the antagonist, how is still where I'm speculating-- either he's Doctor Hurt, or he's using Doctor Hurt for something terrible.

Whaddya think, Who fans?

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2191 on: May 20, 2013, 07:11:31 PM »
I think I need to watch all the classic doctor who to even begin to fathom what the hell you just said  :lol
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #2192 on: May 20, 2013, 08:07:40 PM »

This one (written by Moffat actually): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Who_and_the_Curse_of_Fatal_Death

It was a Red Nose Day special.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #2193 on: May 20, 2013, 08:09:58 PM »
Jim Broadbent as the Eleventh Doctor? Good Heavens.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2194 on: May 20, 2013, 08:40:32 PM »
My memory of watching Dr. Who when I was a kid was being a bit gutted when Tom Baker became Peter Davison and not quite understanding the regeneration thing and hoping that Tom baker would come back.

I soon learned to appreciate Peter Davison when Colin Baker arrived ! :lol:

I can't remember how I felt about McCoy but I was glad that C. Baker was no longer the doctor and I didn't really enjoy the TV Movie but thought McGann was ok as the doctor.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2195 on: May 21, 2013, 12:59:11 AM »
Interesting theories Heretic, and pretty plausible. It still brings me back to Moffat's comments about changing Doctor Who forever though, as I don't see how bringing Omega back would really do that. It does seem like the sort of trick that Moffat would pull though!

Curse of Fatal Death was brilliant and hilarious, anyone who hasn't seen it should definitely watch it, especially if you know much about the classic series!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #2196 on: May 22, 2013, 01:05:13 AM »
YARRRRG!

Final round. Enjoy! Series four starts... Thursday afternoon, probably?

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2197 on: May 22, 2013, 04:29:50 AM »
How are you going to handle the specials? Make them part of series four?

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2198 on: May 22, 2013, 05:44:59 AM »
Ooooh good question. That would seem a little unfair though. Could have a separate specials survivor I suppose, but then would 2 out of 4 go through, as that then seems a little too generous? Or just one maybe? Hmm...

I be am boner inducing.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2199 on: May 22, 2013, 09:27:10 AM »
Finally caught up on everything.

Wow.  Can't wait until November.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #2200 on: May 22, 2013, 09:29:16 AM »
So, heff, Tennant or Smith? Choose wisely.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2201 on: May 22, 2013, 09:52:59 AM »
I believe he's only been watching again from the current series, so he'll only have seen Smith from New Who.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #2202 on: May 22, 2013, 09:54:37 AM »
BLASPHEMY! The Waters of Mars is so good, though.  :metal (Voyage of the Damned as well!)

Offline robwebster

« Reply #2203 on: May 22, 2013, 10:48:54 AM »
Ooooh good question. That would seem a little unfair though. Could have a separate specials survivor I suppose, but then would 2 out of 4 go through, as that then seems a little too generous? Or just one maybe? Hmm...
Lumped in with series four, and three eps go through. 2/10, 3/15, proportion's right!

And actually, just occurred to me - I don't have to wait 'til the Series 3 survivor's done, do I? Big survivor, let's get cracking...

ETA: POW! Look at that! HUGE! Vote on, kids!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 11:06:09 AM by robwebster »

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2204 on: May 22, 2013, 04:05:55 PM »
I believe he's only been watching again from the current series, so he'll only have seen Smith from New Who.
True, only Smith.

Well, and Tom Baker, but that was a loooooooooooooong time ago.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.