Author Topic: Doctor Who  (Read 216524 times)

Offline robwebster

Re: Doctor Who: Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS
« Reply #2030 on: April 30, 2013, 03:48:19 PM »
Think the warrior twins in The Hungry Earth were called... Restac and Alaya? Something like that. Quite confident about Restac.

The Victorian silurian is called Vastra - all three characters are played by the same actor, so they do have Neve McIntosh's face, confusion's forgivable. She is brilliant, though, so no complaints here - I believe the prosthetics are slightly different every time. The sontarans repeat actors, too - Chris Ryan and Dan Starkey have both played various sontaran characters. Makes sense for a clone race, mind.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2031 on: April 30, 2013, 04:07:50 PM »
Wonder what her story is with the Doctor then? Maybe we'll find out this weekend

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2032 on: May 01, 2013, 04:22:56 AM »
Pretty sure they have covered that, maybe in some of the web-only mini episodes or previews though, can't remember.

You can read about it here: https://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Vastra

God bless the internet.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2033 on: May 01, 2013, 04:48:02 AM »
Thank you sir  :tup

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2034 on: May 01, 2013, 05:05:24 AM »
OK, so for some reason, Hide was shown on its regular broadcast night (which I missed), but my cable system hasn't put it up for On Demand viewing.  ???

So I went ahead and watched Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS.  Good, but not my favorite.

Read a story somewhere this week theorizing that the Doctor may be going mad with this Clara stuff.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2035 on: May 01, 2013, 07:22:54 AM »
So, I'm just curious, when watching the episodes live, do they have any commercial breaks, because when I was watching them, it seemed like there were no breaks at all, except for the intro 

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #2036 on: May 01, 2013, 07:24:36 AM »
They have a stupid amount of commercials, it pisses me off. So much so I stopped watching on TV and started watching online.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #2037 on: May 01, 2013, 08:17:01 AM »
So, I'm just curious, when watching the episodes live, do they have any commercial breaks, because when I was watching them, it seemed like there were no breaks at all, except for the intro
Nope - BBC is a public broadcast service. There's a couple of adverts for BBC shows either side of each programme, but there's no intermissions whatsoever. Not even the intro - we don't actually do intro-breaks in the UK. Even on the commercial channels, it's more often just one break every 15 minutes.

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #2038 on: May 01, 2013, 08:21:51 AM »
Nope - BBC is a public broadcast service. There's a couple of adverts for BBC shows either side of each programme, but there's no intermissions whatsoever. Not even the intro - we don't actually do intro-breaks in the UK. Even on the commercial channels, it's more often just one break every 15 minutes.

Must be nice; here Canada while watching Doctor Who we are inundated with "breaks".

Offline robwebster

« Reply #2039 on: May 01, 2013, 08:29:20 AM »
I hate to sound smug, but it is, it's lush, I love the BBC.

Speaking of good things the BBC did, here's nine episodes of Doctor Who from 2006 for people to vote on. Allons-y...

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #2040 on: May 01, 2013, 08:56:11 AM »
The plus of BBC America: getting the episodes the same day they air. It was something like a year plus after series 1 aired before it reached the US, as an example.

The reason I still download them online, not feeling too bad since I always buy the series boxsets: while there's never really a good place in a show designed with no commercial breaks to put them, BBC-A puts them in the WORST places possible, every time.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2041 on: May 01, 2013, 09:07:31 AM »
I hate to sound smug, but it is, it's lush, I love the BBC.
Agreed, I understand ad breaks, but they're really annoying. It's bad enough here (outside of the BBC, which is wonderful), when they're only every 15 minutes, but the US and Canada as well it sounds like, are just ridiculous.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2042 on: May 01, 2013, 09:33:08 AM »
I've noticed also there haven't been any two parters lately. I was kind of shocked that series 6 finale was a one off

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #2043 on: May 01, 2013, 09:39:23 AM »
BBC America has lots of commercials. Still, that does give the viewer time to realize what they may have missed.
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #2044 on: May 01, 2013, 12:28:58 PM »
I've noticed also there haven't been any two parters lately. I was kind of shocked that series 6 finale was a one off

Moffat decided that this series wouldn't have any two-parters in order to give every episode a sort of "mini-movie" feel, thus resulting in a few rushed endings. I feel those have been fixed mainly in 7b, though, but The Power of Three had the most rushed ending ever.

He also said that the second part of two-parters usually weren't watched as much as the first part, for whatever reason, and that they were experimenting with how the viewing figures fared with no two-parters.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #2045 on: May 02, 2013, 03:34:30 PM »
All right - Doctor Who survivor, the round three results have affirmed my faith in the new format. Amazing. Worth it for that alone.

Here's round four. Vote away, kids.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #2046 on: May 02, 2013, 04:45:19 PM »
This is a bit of a shitty request from my part but I'll ask away anyway: Could you add a small 3-4 line synopsis of each episode along with the pictures? I've never really cared for episode names so when I see the titles I don't know what the episode was about most of the time. I feel I'm not the only one? Or maybe I'm just the one watching online where everything is S02E01 and that's about it.

Don't do it just for me though, if there are more people with similar problems - speak up.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #2047 on: May 02, 2013, 04:48:45 PM »
That's cool! That was sort of the idea with the picto-blocks, but since they're gone, makes a lot of sense. I'll get on it!

Offline robwebster

« Reply #2048 on: May 02, 2013, 05:15:55 PM »
Done!

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2049 on: May 03, 2013, 02:29:24 AM »
Yeah I think the picto blocks are a nice way to do that, but if for a while you can't do those, a short synopsis does the trick! :)

Back to series 7b... I'm intrigued as to why Clara seems so obsessed with the number 11. In Bells when she said chapter 11 of Amy's book was the best, I think it was just a cool nugget and then sort of forgot about it, but then whisky is also apparently the 11th worst drink in the world, and I'm sure there was another reference at some point as well.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #2050 on: May 03, 2013, 07:04:48 AM »
Matt Smith is the Eleventh Doctor. Just throwing that out there.  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2051 on: May 03, 2013, 07:16:04 AM »
Yes, I know, thanks. :P

But she doesn't know that. Or she shouldn't, if she's just Clara, a normal girl. She won't know anything about regeneration etc.

And I still want to know who "the woman in the shop" was, but I'm guessing it's probably River.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2052 on: May 03, 2013, 11:06:06 AM »
Follow up to my previous post about my Drawing I project:

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #2053 on: May 03, 2013, 11:21:22 AM »
That's a damn good Hartnell, I gotta say.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2054 on: May 03, 2013, 03:45:38 PM »
They're all bloody good! I'd say for me the least convincing is Ecclestone - all the others I would instantly recognise whereas with that picture of the 9th I'm not sure I would know who it was out of context.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #2055 on: May 03, 2013, 04:13:31 PM »
But, what a context!! Utterly stupendous. I must've said it countless times, now, but... nice work, Heretic!

Round 5, series two survivor. Any feedback on the format is welcome.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2056 on: May 03, 2013, 07:07:40 PM »
In person, you can definitely see a few more of the subtle things that make Eccleston look like himself. I'd say him and Six were the hardest to get right, though!

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #2057 on: May 03, 2013, 07:18:44 PM »
Hehehehe, Matt Smith is talking to himself on DTF....
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline robwebster

Re: Doctor Who: The Crimson Horror
« Reply #2058 on: May 04, 2013, 12:27:09 PM »
Pains me to say it, cos the man's basically brilliant - I love The League of Gentleman, I love Sherlock, I love his acting... but I don't think Mark Gatiss is quite right for Doctor Who.

Weird episode. I'm... not sure that it's good weird. Like Night Terrors, it was very bottom-heavy.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2059 on: May 04, 2013, 01:06:40 PM »
Hush Rob, don't make me not look forward to this! I love Strax and Vastra/Jenny.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #2060 on: May 04, 2013, 01:37:06 PM »
Nice one. I liked it, despite being kind of weird. I haven't watched any 60-70s scifi stuff but for some reason I have the impression that this would be a perfect fit for the time in terms of story/script.
And I like how they are finally starting to set up the whole Clara business in a more obvious way. The only minus for me is that we didn't get enough Clara time in this one.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #2061 on: May 04, 2013, 04:31:45 PM »
Hush Rob, don't make me not look forward to this! I love Strax and Vastra/Jenny.
For what it's worth, I appear to be in the minority for this one! Lots of love for it - and if you go into it not excited, that means you'll be pleasantly surprised when it turns out I was talking out of my arse, so in many ways... whoo!

Round six!

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2062 on: May 05, 2013, 03:21:52 AM »
To be honest, I don't know how any DW fan could call that episode weird, it was no more so than most episodes. :lol

I really, really enjoyed it. Lots of nice touches, very "Victorian horror" which suited Gatiss' writing perfectly, and some really funny stuff throughout as well.

"Horse, you have failed in your mission!"

I be am boner inducing.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #2063 on: May 05, 2013, 10:25:09 AM »
To be honest, I don't know how any DW fan could call that episode weird, it was no more so than most episodes. :lol

True true.

Overall I thought the episode was rather pedestrian, by Doctor Who standards. I definitely enjoyed it, but a step down from the last two.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #2064 on: May 05, 2013, 10:43:32 AM »
Doctor wasn't there for a third of it, lengthy flashback in old filmic style, villain not revealed until the very final act, very little for Clara to do... it seemed, in a Night Terrors kind of way, like a hell of a lot of build-up, followed by a very speedy ending. I don't know! I thought it felt a bit bizarre. Lots of emphasis on weird images, not so much on plot. Good reveals, good jokes, interesting characters, beautifully filmed (the technique of the old filmic flashback was ace!) but it felt funnily-paced, funnily-plotted, and slightly missed the mark for me. Wasn't impressed despite everything, rather than because of everything. Even the things that should've been brilliant - Strax is hilarious, but he's repeating jokes from The Snowmen almost word for word. I don't know! Just didn't resonate. I love The Unquiet Dead to bits, but since then, Mark Gatiss hasn't quite written my kind of Who. I think his vision for DW is parallel to mine, but slightly to the left. Phenomenal writer, just doesn't quite work for me.