Author Topic: Doctor Who  (Read 216500 times)

Offline abydos

• DT.net
Re: Doctor Who: Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS
« Reply #1995 on: April 27, 2013, 08:49:58 PM »
Another awesome episode.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1996 on: April 27, 2013, 09:07:57 PM »
I will be perfectly honest, I'm more excited by far for the last two episodes of the season than next week's. I'm sure it'll be fine, but that trailer didn't impress me much.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1997 on: April 27, 2013, 09:11:52 PM »
I will be perfectly honest, I'm more excited by far for the last two episodes of the season than next week's. I'm sure it'll be fine, but that trailer didn't impress me much.
Trailer was a bit average, but Silence in the Library had one of the most unimpressive trailers in the land, and it turned out okay. We're at two for two on excellent episodes, in my book - love to see that reach three for three. It's a Mark Gatiss ep, so I'm crossing my fingers for Mark Gatiss, writer of The Unquiet Dead, rather than Mark Gatiss, writer of The Idiot's Lantern.

So, after having watched the season 6 finale, are they basically saying Silence is going to fall when the Doctor's name is revealed?
Yep! Silence will fall when the question is answered: Doctor Who?

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1998 on: April 27, 2013, 10:18:45 PM »
The corresponding Christmas special was a bit of a letdown from the previous one, although I did enjoy the ending

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #1999 on: April 28, 2013, 12:33:02 PM »
Holy crap that was an awesome episode. Team TARDIS!
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2000 on: April 28, 2013, 07:19:26 PM »
Almost caught up. Going to watch Angels Take Manhattan tomorrow. I'm not ready yet to say goodbye to Amy and Rory. Amy has definitely become my favorite companion so far

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2001 on: April 29, 2013, 12:18:09 AM »
Latest episode was great, really enjoying this run at the moment! Very strong arc episode as well - even if the ending sort of undoes everything a bit, I think it's all going to be sitting there in the background still, not entirely forgotten.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #2002 on: April 29, 2013, 04:28:37 AM »
I will say this: although not every episode has been great, this half-season has sustained my interest considerably more than seasons past (I started after Donna).

Also, I don't know if anyone's with me on this, but I think Matt Smith is an overall more interesting Doctor than David Tennant. Tennant was my first Doctor and he was great: goofy, quirky, and ultimately he pulled off that whole lone ranger thing pretty well. But for some reason it's easier for me to be pulled along for the ride with this Matt guy. He's more relatable in a "one-to-one" way, if anyone can understand what I'm saying.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #2003 on: April 29, 2013, 04:41:01 AM »
Almost caught up. Going to watch Angels Take Manhattan tomorrow. I'm not ready yet to say goodbye to Amy and Rory. Amy has definitely become my favorite companion so far
These are correct decisions. Also, I reckon you'll be caught up before the next episode airs. Citing!

I will say this: although not every episode has been great, this half-season has sustained my interest considerably more than seasons past (I started after Donna).

Also, I don't know if anyone's with me on this, but I think Matt Smith is an overall more interesting Doctor than David Tennant. Tennant was my first Doctor and he was great: goofy, quirky, and ultimately he pulled off that whole lone ranger thing pretty well. But for some reason it's easier for me to be pulled along for the ride with this Matt guy. He's more relatable in a "one-to-one" way, if anyone can understand what I'm saying.
Not going to come as a surprise, given my usual choice in avatars, but, yep! I agree with you. Eccleston was my Doctor, then Tennant was clearly better, then Smith's clearly better than both of them. I don't know if this represents a gradual increase in Doctor quality, or just how terribly mercenary I am when picking favourites, but Tennant was very... cool. He was chilled, at ease - sometimes goofy, constantly cripped by guilt, and fantastically acted throughout, but Smith is far more pyrotechnic. Tennant was most gripping when he lost control, because it came so naturally to his Doctor. Smith's Doctor is rather more hectic - he can barely control his own body. He has a marvellous way with words, and people, and technology, but he's also clearly quite fallible. When he's fierce, it sneaks up on you.

For my buck, he's the most interesting performer we've had in the role by miles - and that's by no means a criticism of his genuinely terrific predecessors. He plays it in such a way that he can be, and is, constantly surprising. Not just every episode, but every scene. Magnetic, the perfect front-man. If it were my choice, I'd have him for five more series. Stunning stuff.

Crikey. You might be nudging my avatar back.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #2004 on: April 29, 2013, 04:44:32 AM »
^ Couldn't have said it better myself. Also, this may just be coincidence, but I also feel as though the overall quality of the show has gone up since he was put on. I was watching Planet of the Dead last night, and although there was nothing overtly terrible about it, I did find that Carmen's acting positively cringeworthy. And her secondary character is not the only one I remember from Tennant's run that was cringeworthy.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2005 on: April 29, 2013, 04:47:58 AM »
I'm definitely loving Smith more as my viewings have gone on. He's pretty much tied with Tennant right now

Offline robwebster

« Reply #2006 on: April 29, 2013, 05:10:25 AM »
^ Couldn't have said it better myself. Also, this may just be coincidence, but I also feel as though the overall quality of the show has gone up since he was put on. I was watching Planet of the Dead last night, and although there was nothing overtly terrible about it, I did find that Carmen's acting positively cringeworthy. And her secondary character is not the only one I remember from Tennant's run that was cringeworthy.
Aesthetically, it's gorgeous nowadays. In the last era, a city looked like a city. Bold, bright colours, people all over. Something about the colour palette, and the effects, nowadays, everything looks a little less big-'n'-bolshy, a little more... I can't find the word. The house style is a little more, "muted," perhaps but also more inventive. Both approaches are cool, both are clearly the net result of hours and hours of work apiece from the most talented production team in British TV, but one feels a little more "modern Who," and the other feels "All of time and space." My kind of look.

I can't imagine them doing the Sontaran spaceship in Moffat's Who. Current team, Michael Pickwoad in particular, would realise it very differently. Likewise, I don't think Aliens of London would've looked half as grounded - and, therefore, don't think it would've been half as effective - with the current house style. As much as it's not Whovians' favourite episode, now, that was an incredibly pivotal moment. That was a huge episode. It was flawed, there were more than a few issues with it, and when we hold a show to such a high standard it's those we notice, but it nailed way more things on the head. I think the S5 approach might yield a more convincing Slitheen, but one of the most exciting and most imperative things about the episode, is that to work, and to bring back Doctor Who, modern day London had to be recognisable, it had to be the world you could walk into, and despite The Bells of St. John, I'm not sure the current "look" evokes the people on the ground quite as well.

Beautiful, though. Utterly gorgeous.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2007 on: April 29, 2013, 05:35:08 AM »
Rob, you doing a series 2 survivor?

Offline robwebster

« Reply #2008 on: April 29, 2013, 05:39:15 AM »
Don't know! Considered it, did all the little icons, everything ready to go, just depends if anyone's up for it. Thinking of ways to tighten the format - S1, the first few rounds got quite a few votes, the later ones not as many. Partially because I slipped with the schedule, and partially because I stopped posting a link in here each week, I'm sure. Think it'd be worth doing?

Offline robwebster

« Reply #2009 on: April 29, 2013, 06:21:27 AM »
All right. I had an idea - new survivor, new rules.

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=36825.0

Series two... commence!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2010 on: April 29, 2013, 08:38:01 AM »
Cool idea Rob!

For my part, I suck at checking the P&S board, whereas I check into this thread every day there's an update, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. So honestly, feel free to post an update in here each time, I won't ban you for spamming. ;)

I be am boner inducing.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2011 on: April 29, 2013, 02:53:59 PM »
Damn you Rory, you just had to look at that tombstone, didn't you? Here's a question regarding the Angels? How come nobody ever thought to use a hammer against them? They are stone, right?

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #2012 on: April 29, 2013, 03:49:21 PM »
Damn you Rory, you just had to look at that tombstone, didn't you? Here's a question regarding the Angels? How come nobody ever thought to use a hammer against them? They are stone, right?

When you look at them they become quantum locked, basically they are frozen in time.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #2013 on: April 29, 2013, 04:43:22 PM »
Just now took another gander at the regeneration scene for Eleven, and it made me wonder: how much of his post-regeneration "observations" are scripted, and how much is ad lib? 'Cause I'd like to think Matt Smith got creative, what with his "Oooh, lotsa fingers!" and whatnot.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2014 on: April 29, 2013, 07:10:05 PM »
Almost caught up. Just got finished with Hide. Will probably watch Center tomorrow

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2015 on: April 29, 2013, 08:36:17 PM »
That last episode was awesome! The previous 3 episodes were a little meh but now we're back onto some good ol' Dr
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline robwebster

« Reply #2016 on: April 29, 2013, 09:22:11 PM »
Just now took another gander at the regeneration scene for Eleven, and it made me wonder: how much of his post-regeneration "observations" are scripted, and how much is ad lib? 'Cause I'd like to think Matt Smith got creative, what with his "Oooh, lotsa fingers!" and whatnot.

Maybe the End of Time Part Two script is closer than you think..!

The NEW DOCTOR stands there, panting, trying to focus. Staggers slightly, legs buckling, like a new born foal. Steadies. Looks down at himself ...

THE NEW DOCTOR: Legs! Still got legs, good!! Arms! Hands! Lots of fingers! (Running his hands over his face now) Ears, yes! Eyes, two! Nose, I've had worse. Chin, blimey! Hair ... I'm a girl!! (Checks Adams apple) No! Not a girl. (Pulls a strand of hair in front of his eyes) And still not ginger. And something else, something important, I'm, I'm, I'm --

The TARDIS shudders, throwing him against the console.

THE NEW DOCTOR: Crashing!

He's gripping the console now, the whole ship bucking and spinning around him. Howling chaos! CAMERA SHAKE! Alarms! FLAMES all around! SMOKE! PRAC DEBRIS falling from the roof!

FX: On the scanner, Earth zooming up towards us.

The TARDIS bucks and starts to tip, the DOCTOR clinging madly to the console - the final descent!

THE NEW DOCTOR: Geronimo!

END OF EPISODE 4.18.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #2017 on: April 29, 2013, 09:25:03 PM »
Oh, that's the actual script and not a transcript? Alright, well it answers my question at least.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #2018 on: April 29, 2013, 09:25:34 PM »
As written by Steven Moffat himself!

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #2019 on: April 29, 2013, 09:25:54 PM »
Fair play to the Moffat.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2020 on: April 30, 2013, 03:51:43 AM »
Well, that was certainly an ambitious episode. The TARDIS would make Hill House seem mundane lol

Offline robwebster

« Reply #2021 on: April 30, 2013, 07:46:02 AM »
And with that... welcome to the present tense! That's the fastest I've known anyone to get up to speed. Nice work.

So honestly, feel free to post an update in here each time, I won't ban you for spamming. ;)
In which case, by royal appointment... the clash of the series 2 titans. Round 2's up. Mixing things up was a good idea.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2022 on: April 30, 2013, 08:07:41 AM »
I have no life lol

So, a theory about the client at the end of The Bells. Is that The Master? I seriously doubt he's dead

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2023 on: April 30, 2013, 08:21:59 AM »
I have no life lol

So, a theory about the client at the end of The Bells. Is that The Master? I seriously doubt he's dead
No, it's the Great Intelligence, from the Snowmen, and also from a couple of old classic DW stories.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2024 on: April 30, 2013, 08:28:52 AM »
Ok, I'm not all caught up then lol Will have to find The Snowmen when I get out from work

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2025 on: April 30, 2013, 10:10:18 AM »
Ah the Snowmen was the Christmas special last year, takes place between Angels Take Manhattan and Bells of St John!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2026 on: April 30, 2013, 11:22:19 AM »
I knew I was missing a Special in there somewhere lol

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #2027 on: April 30, 2013, 12:51:37 PM »
There's a theory that the guy that peaks around the door in the Shard building after the whole Great Intelligence thing happens is the Master. I'd need to watch it again but that would be somewhat clever and humorous. Moffat's already said he'd only bring the Master back if someone wrote a really good story involving him, though.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2028 on: April 30, 2013, 03:31:30 PM »
Even though it was just his voice, Ian McKellan in a Doctor Who episode equals total win. So, NOW I am all caught up

Question, lizard lady. Was she the warrior girl we saw in The Hungry Earth? I don't remember if she ended up getting killed or not.

And as far as Clara goes, couldn't the Doctor simply think it's a case of reincarnation?

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2029 on: April 30, 2013, 03:43:06 PM »
No, she's a different silurian to that one, but of the same race. She first appeared in a full episode in A Good Man Goes To War, but has appeared in various previews and other shorts as well.

I be am boner inducing.