Author Topic: Doctor Who  (Read 216538 times)

Offline senecadawg2

Re: Doctor Who: Hide
« Reply #1960 on: April 21, 2013, 08:41:04 AM »
Hide was FANTASTIC!!! Favorite of this second part of season 7, by far.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #1961 on: April 21, 2013, 09:38:15 AM »
More than any arrival of a companion since Amy, Clara's arrival has signaled a sea change for the show, particularly in the writing. Where generally a series of Who lately (other than 6, which was known as "the one that Neil Gaiman wrote and everything else"), the writing has been "the ones Moffat did", thus far the second half of this series has been brilliantly written, and we STILL have a Gaiman and a Moffat episode left to go. But there's overall in the show, I don't know...it's still Doctor Who, but it feels a bit more modern and a bit more, I don't know, mature? Especially Hide, which was downright brilliant.

Incidentally, I'm amused by the fanboys who think the reveal of the last episode's name thinks that means Moffat is actually going to reveal the Doctor's name and are furious. There's no name any writer can come up with that will meet decades of expectation, for one thing. And for another, at some time, River learns the Doctor's name, and thanks to the fake out in The Wedding of River Song, she still doesn't know it as far as we know. Far more likely that the series finale shows her finally learning it without us HEARING her learn it.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1962 on: April 21, 2013, 10:25:35 AM »
More than any arrival of a companion since Amy, Clara's arrival has signaled a sea change for the show, particularly in the writing. Where generally a series of Who lately (other than 6, which was known as "the one that Neil Gaiman wrote and everything else"), the writing has been "the ones Moffat did", thus far the second half of this series has been brilliantly written, and we STILL have a Gaiman and a Moffat episode left to go. But there's overall in the show, I don't know...it's still Doctor Who, but it feels a bit more modern and a bit more, I don't know, mature? Especially Hide, which was downright brilliant.

Incidentally, I'm amused by the fanboys who think the reveal of the last episode's name thinks that means Moffat is actually going to reveal the Doctor's name and are furious. There's no name any writer can come up with that will meet decades of expectation, for one thing. And for another, at some time, River learns the Doctor's name, and thanks to the fake out in The Wedding of River Song, she still doesn't know it as far as we know. Far more likely that the series finale shows her finally learning it without us HEARING her learn it.
"More than any arrival of a companion since Amy..." whuh!? Amy, Rory, Clara - who else?!

Aside from that, though, I do sort of agree with you. Series seven, so far... it's been a show I like, but not the show I love. Rings was interesting but a little ropey, Cold War was solid but not exceptional, and The Bells of Saint John was a great episode, but not a great Moffat episode. Hide has transformed my opinion of the run practically overnight, and is starting to hint at similar greatness to my favourite series, S5.

Because, honestly, it's all there. For all they said that they were dialling the arc right back, it's actually starting to look present, but a little more even. Series six was built around the Moffat episodes. It was a bunch of really arc-heavy episodes; big, cramped adrenaline rushes where all the plot happened, linked by episodes full of cliffhangers and cursory nods, but without development.

Here, however, and Hide is the first time this is really coming to the fore - the TARDIS stuff is growing, Clara's relationship with the TARDIS feels like part of a bigger story. We're learning more about her, we're seeing the Doctor develop, we're seeing the Doctor's suspicions laid out, we're seeing her reacting to time travel. It feels like we're edging forward with each episode, and the mystery is thickening, and layering, and advancing gradually, just like it did in series five.

Little details like that can make or break a series. Rearranging three episodes in series six, I think, made an already slightly problematic series seem clumsier. There's a lovely moment, at the end of Night Terrors, where the Doctor says, pointedly, "Here we are, together, in the flesh," and it would have originally led straight into The Rebel Flesh. It's him voicing a suspicion, and it would've made his odd behaviour in the following episode more intriguing, and we'd have been speculating, and it'd have hinted at the Almost People cliffhanger and rewarded the eagle-eyed viewer. As it is, the foreshadowing was broken, and they crammed a few 6A elements into The Curse of the Black Spot. 7A felt a bit weird, too, because it was sort of a coda. The Ponds didn't rejoin the TARDIS full time, so it was more like a very slow departure than a big, fun adventure.

Hide feels like the show I adore - series five, full of beans, arc rolling on, interesting characters, and yet also brand new. I don't think S6 was a bad series at all, I think the arc was done badly, but the series was great. And it works retroactively, because I can now see a story being told slowly, one that's starting to take shape, and so the last two episodes are taking on clearer shapes, too. I'm incredibly excited about next week's episode. I can't wait to see where I'm going. It's taken a few weeks longer than I expected, but I'm a proper, card-carrying, giddy-as-a-babe Doctor Who fan all over again. Terrific.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1963 on: April 21, 2013, 10:29:30 AM »
As for The Name of the Doctor - how did I not put two and two together like that?! Alex Kingston, in an episode with that title, of course this must be where she finds out. Good call, Jaq. I'm expecting The Name of the Doctor to be fundamentally about the name of... "The Doctor!" Whatever he was called at birth, he's definitely called the Doctor now. That's the name that'll be printed in the history books - and it's a big name, it's echoed, become a word for "warrior" in some cultures. I've been expecting it to discuss that, rather than his actual name - almost reaffirming that his old name doesn't matter. But, yes, I'm sure River must be about to find out. Citing!

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #1964 on: April 21, 2013, 11:38:55 AM »
Here are the posters from the next 4 episodes.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1965 on: April 21, 2013, 12:31:13 PM »
The next one looked great in previews. The Cybermen again though?
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #1966 on: April 21, 2013, 10:19:21 PM »

Before you cast your doubts take into account that NEIL FREAKING GAIMAN wrote the episode, the new Cybermen design is awesome, and that he promised to make them "scary" again, something I wouldn't believe if it were anyone other than Neil Gaiman saying it. I am so pumped.

Also-- The Name of the Doctor. I am absolutely positive Moffat won't actually reveal his name, but rather what his name can mean, what it can do, and what it can cause. I am going to guess that this is the episode where Clara will do whatever she does to be "spread across time and space," and that the Great Intelligence will return, along with perhaps the Silence as well. River's inclusion (which promises for fun banter between Clara and River) hints at her discovering the Doctor's name, which, of course, is a huge point of Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead. Perhaps this will also be the episode where she gets the Doctor's screwdriver!

In any case, Moffat is awesome, so I'm not expecting anything other than an amazing finale for the series. It has the potential to be the best Doctor Who finale ever, what with the build up of the fields of Trenzalore, the fall of the 11th, the first question, and the Clara mystery. Hopefully Moffat will hit the ball out of the park.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1967 on: April 22, 2013, 05:08:58 AM »
Perhaps this will also be the episode where she gets the Doctor's screwdriver!
We did see the red settings in Cold War! This sounds very plausible.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1968 on: April 22, 2013, 05:15:57 AM »

Before you cast your doubts take into account that NEIL FREAKING GAIMAN wrote the episode, the new Cybermen design is awesome, and that he promised to make them "scary" again, something I wouldn't believe if it were anyone other than Neil Gaiman saying it. I am so pumped.

Also-- The Name of the Doctor. I am absolutely positive Moffat won't actually reveal his name, but rather what his name can mean, what it can do, and what it can cause. I am going to guess that this is the episode where Clara will do whatever she does to be "spread across time and space," and that the Great Intelligence will return, along with perhaps the Silence as well. River's inclusion (which promises for fun banter between Clara and River) hints at her discovering the Doctor's name, which, of course, is a huge point of Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead. Perhaps this will also be the episode where she gets the Doctor's screwdriver!

In any case, Moffat is awesome, so I'm not expecting anything other than an amazing finale for the series. It has the potential to be the best Doctor Who finale ever, what with the build up of the fields of Trenzalore, the fall of the 11th, the first question, and the Clara mystery. Hopefully Moffat will hit the ball out of the park.

Ooooh, did not know that.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1969 on: April 22, 2013, 05:21:57 AM »
So, I think A Christmas Carol is the best holiday themed Doctor Who episode ever so far

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1970 on: April 22, 2013, 08:23:44 PM »
That had to be the oddest and creepiest season premiere of Doctor Who yet *shivers*

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1971 on: April 23, 2013, 08:24:46 AM »
"Yes," on both counts. There's another Christmas special that gives A Christmas Carol a run for its money, but I think ACC still wins it, just about. The Impossible Astronaut, though, is unique. What an episode. Amazing. Not perfect, bit of a funny pace, but the beauty, the size, the ideas, the monsters, that sequence by the lake - we'll never see an opener like it again. And rightly so.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1972 on: April 24, 2013, 02:16:49 PM »
Interesting to hear your views on S6 Rob. I think the story arc is amazing, and loved the way it developed, the only let down really was how rushed the resolution was.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1973 on: April 24, 2013, 02:28:43 PM »
THIS POST MAY CONTAIN DIRECT/INDIRECT SPOILERS about HIDE

I loved Hide. I was starting to get worried about non-Moffat written episodes since the show came back from hiatus but this one hit all the right spots for me. Everything felt nice and well laid out, even the ending's ending.
Not to mention the brilliant production, atmosphere  - i was actually scared too a few times. Something no horror movie does for me. When I see shit like monsters or butchers chasing brainless victims and whatnot - that is just hilarious and annoying. Building suspense and fear into the viewer with sheer ambience and actor's performance - so much stronger and easier to relate to, therefore easier to get into.

I do enjoy the slightly darker side of the Doctor as well. They've showed that a few times (Mars special comes to mind). The way he answered Clara to questions like what do they mean to him, doesn't everything being dead bother him etc - he's answered those before in strikingly different ways as far as I remember. Now he just kind of shrugs it off and doesn't even understand what's the real question.
His answer - "mystery"- was something I'd expect House to say. And then with the very ending, definitely a House moment!

Oh, and those posters are FUCKING SWEET! I wouldn't mind having a 2m tall/wide version of them on my wall.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1974 on: April 24, 2013, 03:19:18 PM »
THIS POST MAY CONTAIN DIRECT/INDIRECT SPOILERS about HIDE

I loved Hide. I was starting to get worried about non-Moffat written episodes since the show came back from hiatus but this one hit all the right spots for me. Everything felt nice and well laid out, even the ending's ending.
Not to mention the brilliant production, atmosphere  - i was actually scared too a few times. Something no horror movie does for me. When I see shit like monsters or butchers chasing brainless victims and whatnot - that is just hilarious and annoying. Building suspense and fear into the viewer with sheer ambience and actor's performance - so much stronger and easier to relate to, therefore easier to get into.

I do enjoy the slightly darker side of the Doctor as well. They've showed that a few times (Mars special comes to mind). The way he answered Clara to questions like what do they mean to him, doesn't everything being dead bother him etc - he's answered those before in strikingly different ways as far as I remember. Now he just kind of shrugs it off and doesn't even understand what's the real question.
His answer - "mystery"- was something I'd expect House to say. And then with the very ending, definitely a House moment!

Oh, and those posters are FUCKING SWEET! I wouldn't mind having a 2m tall/wide version of them on my wall.
They did do tension very well, didn't they? Actual monster attacks aren't that scary. What's the worst that can happen? The monster attacks. Well, it's already happening. The threat that it could attack at any moment? Now, that's scary - and Doctor Who can manage that just as well as any 18-rated horror blockbuster. This, I think, is why the weeping angels work. Other villains might have a more practical way of getting about - the weeping angels, you can hold off, but not forever. It's inevitable, it's just a matter of when. The time when the angels aren't attacking is what's scary, because it's time when the characters are vulnerable - and if you're invested in them, it makes you vulnerable, too. Very cool.

Other things to mention - acting, superb. Tiny guest cast, but how fantastic were they! Honestly, they sold those characters. That's the most impressed I've been with any guest actors, ever. They made it so, so real. So much praise. What else? The way the monster moved, brilliant. The detour across all of space and time right in the middle of a haunted house ghost story, sublime. Grouchy TARDIS, frosty relationship with Clara, amazing. Oh, nothing but praise. Such a good episode.

Interesting to hear your views on S6 Rob. I think the story arc is amazing, and loved the way it developed, the only let down really was how rushed the resolution was.
That's fair! I think it's interesting, and I adore the ambition. I'd never ask for Doctor Who to be less ambitious. I also think the series itself is fantastic. There are very few episodes I don't like, a hell of a lot I do, and one or two that are among my favourites ever. (The Impossible Astronaut, The Girl Who Waited - cracking.) The ideas, by and large, are brilliant, and - you know? I even like the arc episodes, on their own. I just think it's let down by its execution. The Impossible Astronaut and Day of the Moon were in the can before Moffat started writing any of the later episodes, and regrettably, I think it shows, just a little bit.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1975 on: April 24, 2013, 03:27:58 PM »
Yeah, the guest actors were superb as well. So much so, I went out and googled them just to see what kind of work they've done.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1976 on: April 24, 2013, 03:51:10 PM »
I really want to do naughty stuff to Lily Cole. Good Lord is she beautiful. She can be my Siren any day

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1977 on: April 24, 2013, 06:41:08 PM »
SO, as I mentioned a few weeks ago, my final project in Drawing I this semester was the task of drawing all eleven of the Doctors. It was an arduous task, and it left me with little free time, but the result was something I'm quite proud of. My father and I built a TARDIS-frame to frame the Doctors in, and it was a huge hit at college. Everyone loved the drawings, and the TARDIS just added to that.

Anyways, here's some photos. They're taken with my phone, so they're not the best quality, but they give you the general idea. I'll get detailed pictures of all the Doctors later on after the assignment is graded in whatnot.

I used prismacolor pencils for the drawings. They are a type of colored pencil that are specifically made for art, and they're very high quality. I tried to express the character of each Doctor through their expression and the colors used, and I feel like they're all quite unified. In any case, I thought you guys would appreciate this!

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #1978 on: April 24, 2013, 06:47:12 PM »
Wow, that is brilliant. Fantastic, even.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1979 on: April 24, 2013, 07:00:10 PM »
That is awesome and very cool!

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1980 on: April 25, 2013, 08:17:29 PM »
To my fellow Whovians, I just got done with A Good Man Goes To War and my mind got seriously blown to pieces

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1981 on: April 26, 2013, 01:51:59 AM »
That's cool - I just saw Heretic's pictures in that gnarly TARDIS frame and I had a similar feeling. But yeah, that ep's like getting hit by a very nifty freight train. There's quite a few along those lines this series. Very cool.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1982 on: April 26, 2013, 04:27:11 AM »
It must have been heartbreaking for her every time she encounters Amy and Rory never having to tell who she was or their untimely fate (I'm not there yet, but I pretty much know what's about to occur and I'm not looking forward to it)

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #1983 on: April 26, 2013, 05:18:55 AM »
It must have been heartbreaking for her every time she encounters Amy and Rory never having to tell who she was or their untimely fate (I'm not there yet, but I pretty much know what's about to occur and I'm not looking forward to it)

I would think it would be worse watching The Doctor know her less and less. Remember she wasn't raised by Rory and Amy, she grew up with them. To her they would be more like friends then parents. Also Amy and Rory don't die they are sent back in time, so for all we know they are perfectly fine and might show up again.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1984 on: April 27, 2013, 06:45:52 AM »
Hide was a pretty great episode.  My only criticism was how easily the pocket universe stuff was brushed away.

"I'll be dead in 4 seconds if I go to the pocket universe."
"I don't care!"
"Oh okay"
*Goes twice, is completely fine*

Also has the TARDIS been known to fly without a real pilot to and from places?

So yes, other than that, Hide was a very VERY good episode.  Definitely the best of 7b, may be the best of series 7 as a whole.  Though I do agree with Rob on 7b as a whole.  I like it, but something's missing that's keeping me from loving it.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1985 on: April 27, 2013, 06:50:10 AM »
I do think it's the strongest of 7b to date. I like Clara but I also do agree that the first episode was odd and the second was rather dull.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1986 on: April 27, 2013, 06:53:57 AM »
Also has the TARDIS been known to fly without a real pilot to and from places?
The TARDIS flew without a pilot last episode! Flew to the South Pole, right at the top of the episode.

7B - funny, innit! Perfectly entertaining, but even the Steven Moffat episode - great episode, loved The Bells, but it's not exactly up there with his very best. I'm not sure it's just 7B that's missing something - whole of series seven feels a little... not quite there, with the possible exception of the Snowmen and, now, Hide. That said, I'm very, very excited for tonight's episode. In fact, for all of the remaining episodes. I'm totally, completely intrigued by all that's to come. Bring it on.

Course... it might just be that we've waited so long.  But I didn't have any of the same problems with S5, and I do think there's a big difference between Hide and its predecessors, so who knows!

Offline robwebster

Re: Doctor Who: Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS
« Reply #1987 on: April 27, 2013, 12:27:35 PM »
I bloody loved that. Two for two. Doctor Who, you've got your mojo back.

Steve Thompson has a funny habit of writing an okay episode, then coming back next series and blowing it out of the water. Wonderful. I do wish it hadn't ended the way it did, though. Got your hopes up, picturing all these wonderful, gamechanging outcomes, then, "Ah, for fuck's sake!"

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #1988 on: April 27, 2013, 03:17:03 PM »
I feel for Steve Thompson.

First thing I knew him for: writing the episode of Sherlock between A Study In Pink and The Great Game. Next thing I knew him for: writing the pirate romp that wound up being stuck between Moffat's mind blowing series 6 two parter and, oh, an episode of Doctor Who written by Neil Gaiman. Then he writes, for Sherlock, the exceptional episode The Reichenbach Fall, only to see armies of clueless idiots scream about all that "Moffat" did in the episode. About time he got some respect, because he's a great writer, and he knocked it out of the park with Journey, even if it was resolved by pretty much the oldest deus ex machina in time travel history. Frigging great episode.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1989 on: April 27, 2013, 04:31:30 PM »
So, I'm watching The God Complex and in the beginning I swear The Doctor just called Rory Mickie, or is that just me?  :lol

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1990 on: April 27, 2013, 05:23:01 PM »
Wow, that is brilliant. Fantastic, even.

Thank you sir. I had a feeling you would like it, haha.

That is awesome and very cool!

Thank you! Glad you're enjoying your watch-through of the show.

That's cool - I just saw Heretic's pictures in that gnarly TARDIS frame and I had a similar feeling. But yeah, that ep's like getting hit by a very nifty freight train. There's quite a few along those lines this series. Very cool.

Heck yes sir. My art teacher was telling me "some whovian would probably buy that off of you for tons of money." I was like "eerrrmmm not reallllllllllllly giving this away..." haha. Maybe prints or something, but not the TARDIS frame.

In any case I'm really pumped for tonight's episode. Opinions so far have mainly been "OMG" so I'm excited.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1991 on: April 27, 2013, 05:28:34 PM »
So, do we ever find out what The Doctor saw in his door, or do the writers leave us to speculate endlessly?

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1992 on: April 27, 2013, 05:49:30 PM »
So, do we ever find out what The Doctor saw in his door, or do the writers leave us to speculate endlessly?
I'll give you a clue. It's not the first one.

Heck yes sir. My art teacher was telling me "some whovian would probably buy that off of you for tons of money." I was like "eerrrmmm not reallllllllllllly giving this away..." haha. Maybe prints or something, but not the TARDIS frame.
Yeah, crikey. That's a keeper!

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1993 on: April 27, 2013, 07:35:05 PM »
Damn shame about Clara forgetting all that library stuff. And that nice lil' moment with the Doctor.

God, it's like everything I watch lately involves time loops and people who aren't taken along for the ride and so don't remember anything.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1994 on: April 27, 2013, 07:40:15 PM »
So, after having watched the season 6 finale, are they basically saying Silence is going to fall when the Doctor's name is revealed?