Author Topic: Doctor Who  (Read 216486 times)

Offline masterthes

Re: Doctor Who: Cold War
« Reply #1925 on: April 15, 2013, 04:50:54 AM »
just got done with the Tennant years. Very sad. The End of Time is definitely in my top 5 Who episodes so far, probably even number one. I hated though they hooked up Martha and Mickey. I never really liked that guy

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1926 on: April 15, 2013, 04:52:01 AM »
WHAT

Mickey is awesome.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1927 on: April 15, 2013, 08:07:38 AM »
just got done with the Tennant years. Very sad. The End of Time is definitely in my top 5 Who episodes so far, probably even number one. I hated though they hooked up Martha and Mickey. I never really liked that guy
End of Time's brilliant. Certainly my favourite of Tennant's finales. Think I prefer Human Nature, Silence in the Library, though - the late-season two-parters.

Do like Mickey - didn't at first, though, I was like the Doctor. I thought he was an idiot, and the tin dog. Eventually earned his place with me, but maybe it happens over months, rather than days.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1928 on: April 15, 2013, 09:57:53 AM »
I guess my next one is Bells of St John.  I will try to hit that one tonight.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1929 on: April 15, 2013, 12:15:24 PM »
Oh! No! The Snowmen's next. They've done a very weird thing with the scheduling, which has made this more confusing than it should be, but I wouldn't advise watching The Bells of St. John without catching the christmas special first. You can, if you want, but it's an interesting special. More than just a stop-gap.

This is, unless you've already watched the Snowmen. In which case... disregard this, I'm a div!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1930 on: April 15, 2013, 01:11:57 PM »
Oh! No! The Snowmen's next. They've done a very weird thing with the scheduling, which has made this more confusing than it should be, but I wouldn't advise watching The Bells of St. John without catching the christmas special first. You can, if you want, but it's an interesting special. More than just a stop-gap.

This is, unless you've already watched the Snowmen. In which case... disregard this, I'm a div!
I don't think I have access to a Christmas special.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1931 on: April 15, 2013, 01:29:50 PM »
Ack! Well, if you can find it - brilliant. It seems to be $3 on iTunes, if that's any use, cos the events of the episode are... relevant, to the Bells of St. John, in a time travelly kind of way. That said, it's not compulsory viewing, and $3 does seem like a lot for an hour of telly, so if you want to watch the episodes you have access to, rather than mucking about with the episodes you haven't, that's fair. It's a mid-season opener, so it explains the most important stuff that gets carried forwards.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1932 on: April 15, 2013, 02:07:30 PM »
We'll see.  Thanks for the info.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1933 on: April 15, 2013, 06:52:10 PM »
I watched The Bells of St. John and The Rings of Akhaten.  Great stuff, once again.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1934 on: April 15, 2013, 09:07:43 PM »
Eeeeexcellent! The Bells of St. John hold up all right without The Snowmen?

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1935 on: April 15, 2013, 09:55:32 PM »
Am I in the minority for thinking that the Asylum of the Daleks and Snowmen were miles ahead of the episodes after them? Don't get me wrong, I love 'em but they all seem to kind of lose "it" in the middle-towards the end for me. Kind of disappointed Moffat isn't writing more.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1936 on: April 15, 2013, 10:17:16 PM »
I think Asylum and Snowmen have been my favourite episodes of the run... but, every run has best episodes. A Town Called Mercy's not far below, and that wasn't a Steven Moffat episode.

He had to have a break after series six - part of the reason for seven's delay. The workload's huge, he's pumping out as many eps as he can. And I do think it's only right that the showrunner's writing the best episodes - imagine if he wasn't, how rubbish would that be! Get what you're saying, a series of Asylums would be superb... but there's only one Steven Moffat, and he's going as fast as he can! "Not as good as Asylum of the Daleks," or "Not as good as Steven Moffat," are fairly faint, as damnation goes. I'd give my left arm to be not as good as Steven Moffat. Not even a turn of phrase - I actually would! All right, left leg, can't really type with one arm, but still.

For what it's worth, Mark Gatiss has given his best script since The Unquiet Dead this series, we've got Neil Gaiman yet to come, and a seemingly-quite-unorthodox Neil Cross ep on Saturday. I'm sure there are some non-Moffat corkers to come.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #1937 on: April 15, 2013, 11:20:54 PM »
I just have to say, the scene from the street > the TARDIS > the plane in The Bells of St John is probably one of my favorite scenes in the modern series. Brilliant cinematography, and a great way to introduce the new companion to the TARDIS.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1938 on: April 16, 2013, 04:35:40 AM »
Eeeeexcellent! The Bells of St. John hold up all right without The Snowmen?
Yeah, I guess.  I mean, I was a little in the dark about why the Doctor was in 1207, but I'm always somewhat in the dark anyway, so I just accepted it and moved on.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1939 on: April 16, 2013, 11:24:22 AM »
Am I in the minority for thinking that the Asylum of the Daleks and Snowmen were miles ahead of the episodes after them? Don't get me wrong, I love 'em but they all seem to kind of lose "it" in the middle-towards the end for me. Kind of disappointed Moffat isn't writing more.
Asylum, Town Called Mercy and Bells are my favourites so far, so yeah I probably do have a preference for Moffat's stuff, but then I love his style so that does kinda make sense. Doesn't mean I'm not really enjoying the other stuff though! Only weaker moments for me have been Dinosaurs (still an absolute blast, just lacked any real sense) and the second half of Rings, but even those I still enjoyed a lot and had some really nice touches.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1940 on: April 17, 2013, 06:49:16 PM »
OK, just caught Cold War.  Pretty good, but probably my least favorite so far.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1941 on: April 17, 2013, 06:56:13 PM »

It's definitely more of a "bottle episode" in scope and production, but I enjoyed the villain more than in Rings.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1942 on: April 17, 2013, 08:19:35 PM »
And you're up to date!

Huzzah!

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1943 on: April 18, 2013, 05:19:22 AM »
Finally started 5th series. I could get used to Matt Smith. My initial reaction is that he seems to be more subdued than Tennant, which is fine by me, anf Karen Gillan is very fine indeed

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1944 on: April 18, 2013, 07:47:01 AM »
Yes, Matt's great. Different animal to Tennant - more subdued at times, I think. At his manic, he's probably rather more manic... but, I'll let you find out!

Five is my favourite series. Report frequently!

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1945 on: April 18, 2013, 12:17:45 PM »
Yes, Matt's great. Different animal to Tennant - more subdued at times, I think. At his manic, he's probably rather more manic... but, I'll let you find out!

Five is my favourite series. Report frequently!

Five is definitely up there for me, as well.  The marked improvement in production, writing, and revised vision is what really pulled me back into the series, as opposed to just being another show I watched.  Those final four hours of Series 5 are just magnificent.  :hefdaddy 

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1946 on: April 18, 2013, 05:07:58 PM »
I'm at the return of the Angels. Definitely liking what I've seen so far. Is Karen Gillan related to a certain Deep Purple singer by any chance?

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1947 on: April 18, 2013, 06:03:06 PM »
Nope.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1948 on: April 18, 2013, 07:00:26 PM »
And you're up to date!

Huzzah!
:djhef:

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1949 on: April 19, 2013, 04:30:37 PM »
Time of the Angels is better than Blink

Umm, and how come River never acknowledged Amy if technically she already met her at that point?

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1950 on: April 20, 2013, 12:38:15 PM »
That Van Gough episode was simply beautiful

Offline robwebster

Re: Doctor Who: Hide
« Reply #1951 on: April 20, 2013, 12:39:21 PM »
Time of the Angels is better than Blink

Umm, and how come River never acknowledged Amy if technically she already met her at that point?
Time traveller! Needs to be careful. And yes, the Van Gogh ep is possibly the highlight of that series. So, so good. I might prefer The Eleventh Hour. And the finale. But, not by much.

New ep - jesus christ, that was a bit good. First three were decent. This one, whoa! The creature... it was what I think it was, right? Begins with a T?

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #1952 on: April 20, 2013, 02:03:13 PM »
Yeah, great ep. Loved the high five when they got back.

Journey to the Center of the TARDIS looks great as well.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1953 on: April 20, 2013, 02:58:38 PM »
I just have to say, the scene from the street > the TARDIS > the plane in The Bells of St John is probably one of my favorite scenes in the modern series. Brilliant cinematography, and a great way to introduce the new companion to the TARDIS.

Oh totally. Say what you want about the episodes of this season as a whole (what little we've seen anyway), but what make them for me are the fantastic little bits like that.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #1954 on: April 20, 2013, 11:08:46 PM »
MAN Hide was definitely my favorite of series 7 thus far. Clara was amazing and really came into her character her. The episode was actually very creepy whilst having an amazing twist and resolution. The acting was superb and the characters were great, too. If Neil Cross can put out episodes of this quality, they surely better recruit him for series 8. Awesome.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1955 on: April 20, 2013, 11:18:07 PM »
so nice to finally have a cheery series finale for once. On to series 6!

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1956 on: April 21, 2013, 07:29:27 AM »
MAN Hide was definitely my favorite of series 7 thus far. Clara was amazing and really came into her character her. The episode was actually very creepy whilst having an amazing twist and resolution. The acting was superb and the characters were great, too. If Neil Cross can put out episodes of this quality, they surely better recruit him for series 8. Awesome.
Yep - word for word. Nothing but praise. Superlative. Fantastic. Phenomenal episode. More like this, please.

so nice to finally have a cheery series finale for once. On to series 6!
You asked, at Journey's End, "Is there ever a happy finale?"

Yes!

Also, currently looking at a potential tie on the DWS1 survivor, so... your vote counts!

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1957 on: April 21, 2013, 08:00:49 AM »
Ok so I haven't read any of this thread but I want to check this show out. Where would I start? Doctor Who has been around for ages hasn't it?

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1958 on: April 21, 2013, 08:09:15 AM »
It has! And I'd advise against starting right at the start, because...crikey! You'd be here for years. Doctor Who owes its longevity, in part, to a format that isn't tied to a single cast. The leading man, leading lady - everyone can be and is replaced, thrives on change. Had 26 series between 1963 and 1989, rested for a bit, and started a new run in 2005.

The latest "everything brand new" change of the guard was at the top of series five of the new run, an episode called "The Eleventh Hour" - which is also a one-stop Doctor Who FAQ. You can watch that and continue onwards without needing any prior knowledge, you'll get it all at the top of the hour, it was designed to appeal to new viewers. You could do the same starting with series one, if you wanted, and many would recommend that above all, but I think S5 is the better crash-course. More recent, more relevant. S1's a great place to start, too, if a little more dated now that it's almost a decade old, but none of it's required reading - you could even start with the current series, if you wanted, just as hefdaddy did a few days ago. Heck, series five episode six was designed as an episode new viewers could happily latch onto.

S5E1 is the best, though, followed by S1E1. The Eleventh Hour is the first ep with the latest Doctor, Rose is the first ep of "modern Doctor Who." Have at it!

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1959 on: April 21, 2013, 08:19:28 AM »
Only nine minutes through the new ep, but lemme just say that Clara is about as cute as a button.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude: