Author Topic: Doctor Who  (Read 216360 times)

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: Doctor Who: The Rings of Akhaten
« Reply #1890 on: April 11, 2013, 04:44:33 AM »
Hef! Which ones did you watch?

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1891 on: April 11, 2013, 05:31:51 AM »
Almost halfway through series 4 (finished The Doctor's Daughter last night. Georgia Moffett is ridiculosly hot). Pretty decent so far. Catherine Tate has grown on me. I thought after watching Runaway Bride that I was going to hate her

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1892 on: April 11, 2013, 06:43:34 AM »
I loved Catherine from the first episode. She has some hilarious moments with Tennant. And a few heart breaking ones. Now I'm sad.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1893 on: April 11, 2013, 07:09:15 AM »
Almost halfway through series 4 (finished The Doctor's Daughter last night. Georgia Moffett is ridiculosly hot). Pretty decent so far. Catherine Tate has grown on me. I thought after watching Runaway Bride that I was going to hate her
I was in the same boat. Wasn't at all sold on her during TRB, bit too caricature, absolutely devastated when the news came she was to return as a full-time companion. Thought it would be a terrible mistake. Love being wrong.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1894 on: April 11, 2013, 07:39:55 AM »
Asylum of the Daleks and Dinosaurs on a Spaceship.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1895 on: April 11, 2013, 07:58:43 AM »
I know it's still ongoing, but do you think there might be an interest in doing a survivor on the reboot series?

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1896 on: April 11, 2013, 08:07:40 AM »
Ohhhh, never considered it as a starter, but yes, I imagine that'd be excellent. Asylum in particular is a fantastic episode.

I know it's still ongoing, but do you think there might be an interest in doing a survivor on the reboot series?
Don't know about anyone else, but personally? It'd be the first survivor I'd follow start to finish. We've only got five and a half more weeks of S8, we'd probably still be on S3, S4 by that point. Yeah, go for it!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1897 on: April 11, 2013, 08:14:20 AM »
Ohhhh, never considered it as a starter, but yes, I imagine that'd be excellent. Asylum in particular is a fantastic episode.
They are on my cable system's On Demand channel for BBCAmerica.  Good stuff.  I did a minimum of background research, and they also had retrospective episdoes on the First, Second, and Third Doctors.  I am enjoying these immensely.

I also discovered Orphan Black on BBCAmerica, and will be delving into other series featured on the On Demand channel.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1898 on: April 11, 2013, 08:31:03 AM »
Not aware of Orphan Black - seems to be a BBC America original. Excellent supply of TV on-demand, though. I thiiiink those retrospectives are being done for the anniversary year. Again - not reached the UK, yet, but heard good things. How much Doctor Who is it, just those episodes, or the whole season so far?

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1899 on: April 11, 2013, 08:45:47 AM »
Oh, I wasn't going to do it (maybe when I'm all caught up with you guys I would) I was just asking in general

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1900 on: April 11, 2013, 08:46:59 AM »
Oh, heck. I might, then. Why not - we had an IT crowd one.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1901 on: April 11, 2013, 09:05:39 AM »
Dinosaurs on a spaceship - how can you possibly go wrong? Good shit.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1902 on: April 11, 2013, 09:56:47 AM »
Here we go, let's find out. Doctor Who survivor!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1903 on: April 11, 2013, 12:30:30 PM »
Not aware of Orphan Black - seems to be a BBC America original.
I think it is.  Canadian.  Excellent thus far.

I thiiiink those retrospectives are being done for the anniversary year. Again - not reached the UK, yet, but heard good things.
Makes sense.  Very informative, with commentary from past actors.  Lots of Tennant.

How much Doctor Who is it, just those episodes, or the whole season so far?
The whole season, AFAIK.  Those were the first two, and I think there are 5 more.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1904 on: April 12, 2013, 08:38:58 AM »
Yep, that's all of it. Might be missing the very most recent, but if it's got The Bells of Saint John, Rings'll doubtless be up there shortly.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1905 on: April 12, 2013, 10:05:40 AM »
Pow! Survivor, round 2. Aliens of London & World War III are out. I don't expect many people to be overly upset by this. Great titles, though. Eight votes is alright for a not-well-publicised first round, right? Enough for me to keep going, at any rate. I was expecting like two.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1906 on: April 12, 2013, 11:56:12 AM »
Yep, that's all of it. Might be missing the very most recent, but if it's got The Bells of Saint John, Rings'll doubtless be up there shortly.
I will try to catch up some more this weekend.  I'm looking forward to it.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1907 on: April 12, 2013, 06:07:49 PM »
I'm curious what kind of episodes you guys prefer, the strictly sci-fi ones or the historical ones?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1908 on: April 13, 2013, 06:23:28 AM »
Just finished A Town Called Mercy.

:metal

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1909 on: April 13, 2013, 07:34:18 AM »
...and now The Power of Three.

And oh, BTW, Karen Gillan is quite attractive.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1910 on: April 13, 2013, 07:51:39 AM »
Good eps. Got a lot of time for A Town Called Mercy. Can't pick out exactly why, it's a fairly normal episode, but I think it ascends above its format. If that's not too wanky. Power of Three's good fun. Completely barmy, funny ending, but it's the kind of story that only Doctor Who can tell. I do love the Apprentice cameo, too. Little details like that.

And, yes. "Quite's" an understatement. q:

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1911 on: April 13, 2013, 08:30:30 AM »
I'm curious what kind of episodes you guys prefer, the strictly sci-fi ones or the historical ones?
Just caught this - my favourite two eps are The Eleventh Hour and The Waters of Mars. Which, not sure if you've seen those ones yet, but just from the last title, you can probably hazard a guess that they're not particularly historical.

Frankly, though, it depends on the story. There are lots of brilliant historical episodes, lots of brilliant episodes in the future. Don't know that it's either or. Human Nature's brilliant, and it would've been rubbish if they'd set it in the future. The past makes sense, cos it rolls the Doctor back, makes him primitive even by our standards.  Likewise, Bad Wolf would've been rubbish set in the past, because history would recall how it ended. Something that lifechanging, we'd know it never happened, it'd break the spell. I suppose the future is a rather wider canvas, so I like it for that reason... but there's some brilliant historical stories to be told.

ETA: Right! Fifty minute countdown. And here's more survivor. Liking the speed. A round a day was a good idea.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 10:07:52 AM by robwebster »

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
Re: Doctor Who: Cold War
« Reply #1912 on: April 13, 2013, 08:11:35 PM »
That next episode looks great. I hope to God the ghost doesn't turn out to be an alien machine or Cybermen; a good ole fashioned ghost hunt would do the Doctor some good. I could go for a nice Gothic episode.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #1913 on: April 14, 2013, 03:24:35 AM »
Best episode in a long time.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1914 on: April 14, 2013, 03:58:10 AM »
Just finished series 4. Goddamnit, can't we end one of these on a happy note? (Well, technically the first series ended on a happy note, but still lol)

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1915 on: April 14, 2013, 07:43:09 AM »
Quite disappointed with this one. Looking at the writers, this season may be the weakest one with Smith so far. More Moffat, less outsourcing.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1916 on: April 14, 2013, 02:25:29 PM »
That next episode looks great. I hope to God the ghost doesn't turn out to be an alien machine or Cybermen; a good ole fashioned ghost hunt would do the Doctor some good. I could go for a nice Gothic episode.
Not sure why you'd expect that, DW has always gone for sci-fi and never supernatural. If you want genuine ghost stories, DW isn't the show for you.

Cold War was great, probably my favourite Gatiss episode! I really liked the way they brought the Ice Warriors back, and especially how they made the voice actually quite intimidating, and not awful like in the classic series.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #1917 on: April 14, 2013, 02:28:32 PM »
Given that Gatiss episodes tend to be hit or miss (which amazes me given how good his two Sherlock episodes have been; it's like a different writer!) I rather liked Cold War. Nice to see the Ice Warriors get an update that manages to remain faithful to the original yet removes what looked really silly from the original design. And David Warner practically stole the episode without trying. "DOES ULTRAVOX BREAK UP?!"  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1918 on: April 14, 2013, 03:18:42 PM »
Not sure why you'd expect that, DW has always gone for sci-fi and never supernatural. If you want genuine ghost stories, DW isn't the show for you.

Cold War was great, probably my favourite Gatiss episode! I really liked the way they brought the Ice Warriors back, and especially how they made the voice actually quite intimidating, and not awful like in the classic series.

A hope is not an expectation.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1919 on: April 14, 2013, 03:45:04 PM »
They really should have made Christina a companion. She could have been fun, not to mention very easy on the eyes

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1920 on: April 14, 2013, 06:08:00 PM »
Just watched The Angels Take Manhattan.  How sad.

After 5 episodes, this show appears to be incredibly well-written and well-performed.  I am in love.

BTW, I was surprised to find out at the end that River was Amelia's daughter.  When did that happen?  From the episodes I've seen, I never saw a daughter.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #1921 on: April 14, 2013, 06:19:46 PM »

After 5 episodes, this show appears to be incredibly well-written and well-performed.  I am in love.

BTW, I was surprised to find out at the end that River was Amelia's daughter.  When did that happen?  From the episodes I've seen, I never saw a daughter.

It happened the season before, VERY long story.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1922 on: April 14, 2013, 06:48:10 PM »

It happened the season before, VERY long story.
Oh, OK. 

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1923 on: April 14, 2013, 09:16:52 PM »
Oh, crikey, yeah, that. It's sort of... River's a recurring character, you find out her history over S5 and S6, and I won't give away the specific twists and turns in case you want to go back and watch it, but basically - time travel!

Glad you're loving the show. Performance is good, isn't it - I tend to take it for granted, but Matt Smith, in his late 20s, is somehow completely convincing as a 1,100 year old alien. He is not of this Earth.

ETA: Oh, also, series 1 round 4 if anyone's keeping up with the survivor.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1924 on: April 14, 2013, 09:25:38 PM »