Author Topic: Doctor Who  (Read 216352 times)

Offline robwebster

Re: Doctor Who
« Reply #1820 on: March 28, 2013, 12:09:24 PM »
Interesting tidbits - The Crimson Horror is focused on Vastra, Jenny and Strax, as they "tackle a case of their own, and stumble across the Doctor's path, quite accidentally."
Does this mean it'll be a Doctor-lite episode? We haven't really had one since series 4!
Seems that way! He doesn't appear until halfway through, apparently... but, that's equally true of A Good Man Goes to War, so who knows? I'm with you, though, I reckon it sounds lite.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1821 on: March 28, 2013, 12:18:10 PM »
Would be very interesting if so. Blink and Turn Left are both pretty amazing, so Doctor-lite can work well (and personally I quite enjoy Love & Monsters, but not nearly on the same level of course).

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1822 on: March 28, 2013, 01:16:52 PM »
Funnily, there's hints that Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS might be Doctor-lite, too. I wouldn't be surprised if they were double-banked series 1 style, where The Long Game split its filming with... I want to say Father's Day? Could be wrong. Could've been Boom Town, or the finale, given the shared sets. So neither episode ends up quite as Doctorless as a lite episode, but nor are they maximum Doctor.

They have broadly been ace, though, yeah - and I'd add Midnight to the list of quite-good cast-lite episodes, too. I love a good format-breaker.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #1823 on: March 28, 2013, 04:23:11 PM »
I was a naughty boy and watched the video with Strax's return being explained. I still think a Strax comedy series would be a license to print money myself.  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline drummerThatShreds87

• Paradiddles...
« Reply #1824 on: March 28, 2013, 04:54:53 PM »
been really wanting to get into this show. i didn't even know it was a remake.
"We stand, until night, we rise until day, bringeth the light until the night" -Empath

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #1825 on: March 28, 2013, 05:17:59 PM »
Well, it's not a remake. It's a continuation. The show, being cancelled at the end of the 7th Doctor's run, was off the air for a good bit. There was a movie with the 8th Doctor (and tons of audio dramas) as well. RTD picked the series back up where it left off in 2005 so and continued on with the Doctor being the 9th incarnation. And it's wonderful.

Also, awesome news. I love Doctor-lite episodes, and I really love Strax, so awesome. I liked "The Last Cyberman" better than "Nightmare in Silver" though.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1826 on: March 28, 2013, 08:01:21 PM »
That said - there's no obligation whatsoever to watch the old stuff. The new stuff's free standing. It revels in its history, and there are a few thrills that are specifically aimed at classic fans, but it doesn't come with a recommended reading list. In fact, I'd actively discourage firing up the 20th century stuff 'til after you've fallen in love with the resurgence. New series is more relevant. (Actually, might even be worth starting with 2010, cos that's another resurgence unto itself. But - I digress!)

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1827 on: March 28, 2013, 08:25:26 PM »
Oh! In other news - sadder news - the Mill is closing. If the name's not familiar to you, their work definitely will be, cos they were responsible for every single CGI shot in the series.

Not enough work, apparently. VFX downturn over the last year or so. Arrrg!

Offline abydos

• DT.net

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1829 on: March 30, 2013, 07:33:43 AM »
Hope you like spoilers, cos if not, good luck avoiding this for the next six months... 50th anniversary cast!

Cool news! Good time to release it. This is going to be a very Who-y day.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1830 on: March 30, 2013, 01:08:35 PM »
FAO abydos:
robwebster, I am curious, what in her performance doesn't sell it for you completely? For me, she was a love at first sight. As was Karen Gillan.
I can't quite put my finger on it, but I've got a hunch it's this:

I'm not sure it's her performance as much as her dialogue. I've found her a little... quippy. She's dazzlingly intelligent, has Holmesian powers of deduction, lives a double life, and about her only flaw is that she's really good at dying. She dances circles around the Doctor, of all people.

I can't think of ways you could improve the performance, I think JLC herself has done an impeccable job and brought a lot of energy to her characters, but I think someone in such an unrealistic situation needs a very realistic personality. Amy Pond was in an unrealistic situation, too, but she was also clearly flawed - she had abandonment issues, slow to trust, afraid of commitment, very clear anxiety from the word "go." She was clever, sassy, smart, but you get the impression that if she hadn't met the Doctor, or certainly if the Doctor had never come back for her, she'd have just carried on living her life, making bad decisions, maybe never even realising how much she truly loved Rory.

I haven't yet found JLC's characters particularly authentic, I suppose. She's too shiny, too perfect. Ultra-quick mind. The Doctor only takes the best, but it's almost like she's got a big neon sign over her head saying "Best person in the story." Which she doesn't need, cos she's a great actress, wrapped in a mystery that's only become more fascinating as we've discovered more about it.

I'm hoping her present day incarnation's going to be a little more measured. Doesn't need to be unrecognisable, just... a little less River Song, a little more Sally Sparrow, would be ace.
Disregard this, I love Clara.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1831 on: March 30, 2013, 01:21:40 PM »
Ha-ha! I still haven't watched the new episode. Currently refreshing certain websites.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1832 on: March 30, 2013, 08:42:53 PM »
AHHH I LOVE JENNA-LOUISE COLEMAN. She's definitely going to be my favorite companion, oh my.

The episode was absolutely fantastic, though. Excellent story from Moffat. People complaining about this one will just be hating on Moffat for the sake of hating on Moffat, not because of any episode fallacies.

And also, those 50th spoilers...absolutely fantastic. I cannot wait to see them again.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1833 on: March 30, 2013, 09:11:08 PM »
I tend to agree - I think you'd have to try pretty hard to find a way to slate that. I'm sure people are managing, though. And hey, let 'em! Not my problem.

The bit at the end, with Miss Kizlet, really got me. Do we think her, er, client, is at all wrapped up in the Clara mystery?

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1834 on: March 30, 2013, 10:03:35 PM »
I tend to agree - I think you'd have to try pretty hard to find a way to slate that. I'm sure people are managing, though. And hey, let 'em! Not my problem.

The bit at the end, with Miss Kizlet, really got me. Do we think her, er, client, is at all wrapped up in the Clara mystery?

That.  My brother and I both let out a collective, "Awww!", after watching that scene.  Brilliant episode.

To answer your question, I have no idea.  And I like it that way.  Knowing Moffat, they could be linked or it could just be a red herring.  I don't think that the client is directly involved in Clara's mystery, but I wouldn't be surprised if her trip to the digital domain results in future exploration of her character.

I can't say that Clara is my favorite companion, but she is definitely the most intriguing.  Her character tonight was nothing like her portrayal in Snowmen.  Can't wait to see what's in store the rest of the season!

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1835 on: March 31, 2013, 03:30:15 AM »
Did you guys notice the author of the book that boy was reading? :)

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1836 on: March 31, 2013, 04:13:12 AM »
Yep, not initially, but certainly when the first base station appeared in the form of the girl on the cover!

The main thing I want to know is - who is the woman in the shop who gave Clara the "helpline" number?

I be am boner inducing.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1837 on: March 31, 2013, 04:56:02 AM »
Мy guess would be that it was River.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1838 on: March 31, 2013, 05:49:28 AM »
Мy guess would be that it was River.
Well that's my guess too, but the fact that it wasn't addressed during the episode makes me think there might be more to it. Moffat is clever though, sometimes he throws us red herrings. :lol

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Cecilia

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1839 on: March 31, 2013, 07:56:56 AM »

Right away, yes.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #1840 on: March 31, 2013, 09:18:48 AM »

Right away, yes.

"Wait until you get to eleven, you'll cry your eyes out."  :lol

I noticed it right away, but I got a text from my ex this morning, who watched it yesterday and missed it, and she was all MOFFAT!  :biggrin:
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1841 on: March 31, 2013, 09:55:53 AM »

Right away, yes.

"Wait until you get to eleven, you'll cry your eyes out."  :lol

I noticed it right away, but I got a text from my ex this morning, who watched it yesterday and missed it, and she was all MOFFAT!  :biggrin:
A lot of people missed it! Looking at the Doctor Who facebook page, there's a lot of comments on the picture of the book going "Wait a second - is that intentional?!" I caught the name, but only noticed "Wait until you get to eleven" when you said it, just now. Ace!

Woman in shop - never even occurred to me. Heard it, thought "That's weird," thought "Could that be Amy?" disregarded it, then completely forgot it was ever a thing. Yes, River going back from the end of the series would make a lot of sense. (And it's a guess, not a spoiler! So we might as well speak freely. The tiny text is such a pain to read - nobody's fault, this board desperately needs spoiler tags... but I reckon we can speculate without spoiling the episode for anyone! These are things we don't know, either.)

Other things - I noticed Clara had the number "23" missing from her book, and the leaf continues to baffle me. Liked the origin of "Oswin," though. Apt for someone who just downloaded bits of the internet. Never thought I'd hear that phrase on telly and not find it cringey beyond belief. Pleased to be wrong!

"Silence, boy!"

Offline Jaq

« Reply #1842 on: March 31, 2013, 01:30:24 PM »
It'll probably be River, but my inner fanboy wants it to be Sally Sparrow so much.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1843 on: March 31, 2013, 05:52:50 PM »
So, awesome news. I'm getting to draw all eleven Doctors for my Drawing I final. We had to propose a certain idea, and I proposed the 50th anniversary of my favorite TV show. She was all for it!

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1844 on: March 31, 2013, 08:17:14 PM »
So, awesome news. I'm getting to draw all eleven Doctors for my Drawing I final. We had to propose a certain idea, and I proposed the 50th anniversary of my favorite TV show. She was all for it!
I'm sure it doesn't need saying, but definitely post them when you're done!

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1845 on: March 31, 2013, 09:45:43 PM »
Wonderful chemistry that.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1846 on: April 02, 2013, 09:57:09 AM »
Oh, crikey. Talk about thick and fast.

They've announced Joanna Page for the 50th special. Good actor, excellent, nice bit of casting. But more to the point, they've announced the classic villain who's (presumably) taking centre stage. And it's not who you'd think...

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #1847 on: April 02, 2013, 10:09:22 AM »
They certainly look meaner now.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1848 on: April 02, 2013, 10:10:48 AM »
Just started getting into Doctor Who. I'm currently on the 2nd season, really loving it so far

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1849 on: April 02, 2013, 11:16:18 AM »

They've announced Joanna Page for the 50th special. Good actor, excellent, nice bit of casting. But more to the point, they've announced the classic villain who's (presumably) taking centre stage. And it's not who you'd think...

Joanna as a new companion? Cripes, are they really getting rid of Clara so quickly?
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1850 on: April 02, 2013, 11:30:56 AM »
Well they don't reveal what they cast her as, probably not a companion.

https://cdn.bleedingcool.net/wp-content/uploads//2013/04/joanna-page.jpg

Damn. Now I want at least one season of Jenna+Tennant.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1851 on: April 02, 2013, 04:15:15 PM »

Joanna as a new companion? Cripes, are they really getting rid of Clara so quickly?
No she's just another actress in the episode.

Jenna-Louise Coleman has already signed up for another series apparently.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1852 on: April 02, 2013, 04:37:06 PM »
As has Matt Smith, it's being reported today! Forgotten where, just know I read it - I'll link if I find it, though.

Also - how different does Joanna look nowadays?! Might just be the photo. Still, didn't recognise her at first. Man!

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1853 on: April 06, 2013, 12:22:00 PM »
Gorgeous ep! Properly sumptuous. Lovely.

Funnily, the only thing that didn't entirely chime with me was... the plot! Occasionally slow, a lot of speeches, didn't quite "get" what it was doing with the Doctor - did it give him his memories back? Still, how's that for world-building!? All those aliens - beautiful! I already want to revisit Akhaten.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Doctor Who: The Rings of Akhaten
« Reply #1854 on: April 06, 2013, 12:25:15 PM »
I gather from the Twitter-verse that someone actually CRIED on Dr. Who this week !!

First time in ... oooh about 7 days isn't it ?

:biggrin: :biggrin: