Author Topic: Doctor Who  (Read 216596 times)

Offline robwebster

Re: Doctor Who
« Reply #1785 on: February 28, 2013, 06:27:15 PM »
Yeah - the next series is going to be an alright starting point, as the cast has changed a little, but it's the 50th anniversary so it might be a little backward facing. With the Eleventh Hour, though, you've quite serendipitously happened to land on the best intro episode the series has ever offered. It's the perfect example of the new show's spirit, and Matt Smith nails it from the off. Go from there, I say!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 06:36:22 PM by robwebster »

Offline tapsmiled

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1786 on: February 28, 2013, 07:26:16 PM »
Will do. Thanks for the advice everyone.  That episode seemed to have the perfect amount of quirkiness without seeming satirical or cliché.  And my god do I still love the theme.
Do or do not; there is not try.
Trust your Force.  Strong!

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #1787 on: March 01, 2013, 09:48:18 AM »

I CANNOT WAIT FOR THE END OF THIS MONTH.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1788 on: March 01, 2013, 11:25:51 AM »
I love that pic, it's just so completely ridiculous. :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline adameastment

« Reply #1789 on: March 04, 2013, 09:22:08 AM »
The Angels Take Manhatten...

...The feels...

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1790 on: March 04, 2013, 03:41:37 PM »
I'm super excited for the new season, love that pic...

Also, The Girl in the Fireplace may be my favorite episode of the first two seasons.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1791 on: March 07, 2013, 04:57:29 PM »
^that's because it's amazing.

ALSO.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/galleries/p015xzmf

Pictures released from the upcoming series. I cannot wait for the Neil Gaiman episode.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1792 on: March 15, 2013, 03:05:00 PM »
Well, there goes the third showrunner in as many years.

Between the dearth of new episodes over the last eighteen months, the delays to series eight and the incredible rate they're getting through executive producers, I'm a little scared to speculate as to what might be happening behind the scenes. The head of drama for BBC Wales is stepping in to replace her for the anniversary special, so it sounds like it must all be very sudden - they haven't had time to find a full-time replacement. Hope Caro's okay.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1793 on: March 15, 2013, 05:55:46 PM »
Every exec producer who has left in the last couple of years has gone on to more senior positions, Caro included. I think that says a lot for the quality of the people they get to produce DW, and the importance they attribute to it.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #1794 on: March 15, 2013, 08:07:26 PM »
Yeah it does seem like a spin in the exec producer seat for Doctor Who means you're being groomed for bigger things with the BBC. That post about the departure gave me a heart attack since I consider Moffat to be the showrunner though.  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1795 on: March 15, 2013, 08:53:12 PM »
Hahaha, sorry! Not the intention, I hate a misleading headline.

I fear it might not be quite as peachy as all that - Caro's departure is... very sudden. She was talking about plans for series 8 in Doctor Who Magazine published within the last week, and Faith Penhale having to be drafted in as acting showrunner could suggest this might not exactly be a promotion. Doesn't necessarily suggest anything shady either, maybe it's some sort of family emergency, needs to spend time in London, but it's a very odd time to be changing staff, what with the Anniversary Special raring to go. I really like Caro Skinner, I think she's great, shame to see her moving on - but, onwards and upwards! Still exec producing, so that's good, can't wait to hear what she does next. Big shoes to fill!

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1796 on: March 16, 2013, 03:34:12 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRQu3MvRySA

Series 7 Part Two Trailer.

https://insidetv.ew.com/2013/03/16/doctor-who-trailer-matt-smith/

American version of the trailer, quite different.

"I am the Doctor... and I am afraid."

Serious Fields of Trenzalore vibe with that one. And that creepy thing standing behind him that looks eerily reminiscent of The Silence? Perhaps the leader of The Silence? Either way this trailer looked absolutely amazing. I think the second half of Series 7 is going to be some of the best of the show ever.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1797 on: March 16, 2013, 10:27:29 PM »
Two very, very cool trailers. Consider me completely psyched.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1798 on: March 17, 2013, 09:58:37 PM »
Pow, pow, pow!! Synopses and promo pics from the first half of the second half of the seventh series.

The Bells of Saint John
The Doctor’s search for Clara Oswald brings him to modern day London, where Wi-Fi is everywhere. Humanity lives in a Wi-Fi soup. But something dangerous is lurking in the signals, picking off minds and imprisoning them. As Clara becomes the target of this insidious menace, the Doctor races to save her and the world from an ancient enemy.

The Rings of Akhaten
Clara wants to see something awesome, so the Doctor whisks her off to the inhabited rings of the planet Akhaten, where the Festival of Offerings is in full swing. Clara meets the young Queen of Years as the pilgrims and natives ready for the ceremony. But something is stirring in the pyramid, and a sacrifice will be demanded.

Cold War
The Doctor and Clara land on a damaged Russian Submarine in 1983 as it spirals out of control into the ocean depths. An alien creature is loose on board, having escaped from a block of Arctic ice. With tempers flaring and a cargo of nuclear weapons on board, it’s not just the crew but the whole of humanity at stake!

Hide
Clara and the Doctor arrive at Caliburn House, a haunted mansion sat alone on a desolate moor. Within its walls, a ghost hunting Professor and a gifted psychic are searching for the Witch of the Well. Her apparition appears throughout the history of the building, but is she really a ghost? And what is chasing her?

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1799 on: March 18, 2013, 08:09:54 AM »
Or, to put those pictures another way...

For all I've discussed their relative merits, JLC doesn't half look exactly like Karen Gillan in the Rings of Akhaten poster.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1800 on: March 18, 2013, 12:28:00 PM »
Hide looks really cool! :caffeine:

And I like the Borderlands 2 art style for the poster of the 2nd ep.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1801 on: March 18, 2013, 12:47:16 PM »
Oh my balls.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1802 on: March 18, 2013, 03:42:52 PM »
And I like the Borderlands 2 art style for the poster of the 2nd ep.
Ha!!

I was looking at it in the same vein as Indiana Jones, King Solomon's Mines - big hokey old-school adventure type thing - but I like your one more! Borderlands will do nicely.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #1803 on: March 18, 2013, 10:27:06 PM »
Those episode posters are made of epic win.  :biggrin:
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1804 on: March 19, 2013, 06:36:56 PM »

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #1805 on: March 20, 2013, 09:07:22 PM »

:mindblown:
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1806 on: March 20, 2013, 10:13:21 PM »
Yeah I've seen that theory posted around a good bit, I really look forward to seeing what her mystery really is. It'd be interesting if that is what happens, but one of the producers said that all of the fan-theories he'd read thus far weren't anything compared to what Moffat had in store.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1807 on: March 20, 2013, 10:14:59 PM »
I'd be slightly disappointed if some random fan guessed it to be honest. I'm expecting a bit more from Moffat, given his track record so far of being off the charts awesome/weird/creative/crazy/creepy.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1808 on: March 21, 2013, 01:04:34 AM »
Pretty cool theory, but we'll see. The similarities could simply be because they are both characters written by Moffat.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #1809 on: March 21, 2013, 01:01:32 PM »
Oswin could hack into the DALEK database because she was a Dalek already tied into it and was clever. She doesn't have to be CAL for that to work. And besides which, tying Clara into the episode that introduced River Song would be so self-referential people would riot.    :lol

Offline Cecilia

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1810 on: March 22, 2013, 09:15:48 PM »
Just ordered these shoes for my wedding later this year!
https://www.etsy.com/listing/125576787/doctor-who-tardis-glitter-shoes

;D

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1811 on: March 23, 2013, 10:07:05 AM »
Right! Hope this link's available internationally. Preface! The Bells of Saint John! Watch! Learn! Love!

One week countdown. This day next week, we'll be tucking into the first episode of the longest continuous stretch of Doctor Who since March 2010 three years ago. I've spent the last year or so being perhaps a teeny bit more cynical about the show than I generally like to be. For the next eight weeks, I get to replace that with a well overdue dose of childlike wonder. Score!

Just ordered these shoes for my wedding later this year!
https://www.etsy.com/listing/125576787/doctor-who-tardis-glitter-shoes

;D
I could not approve more if I tried. Maximum approval. I'm sure it doesn't need saying, but... take photos!!

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1812 on: March 23, 2013, 06:45:56 PM »
That preface was adorable.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1813 on: March 25, 2013, 10:25:47 AM »
Five days, two hours, people. This is not a drill. This is not a drill.

(I'm not going to do these every day. Honest.)

Just remembered I did a list of my favourite dalek episodes in the hour before Asylum. One every ten minutes. I can't promise I'll keep up the same rate, won't promise I'll even do another list at all, but... buckle in.

I did watch The Snowmen last night. So in many (contrived) ways, it's a bit like the series has already started for me. What a wonderful episode. Still not 100% sold on JLC, (closer to 75%, 80%) but I really like the delivery of this one line:

"I did seven drawings and we saw a dead cow."
"...Well! How exciting!"

Offline Jaq

« Reply #1814 on: March 25, 2013, 10:33:13 AM »
Oh, I loved the prelude thing. The punch line, in retrospect, should have been obvious, but when I watched it all I could do was go "MOFFAT!"  :lol Can't wait for Saturday!

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1815 on: March 25, 2013, 10:39:07 AM »
robwebster, I am curious, what in her performance doesn't sell it for you completely? For me, she was a love at first sight. As was Karen Gillan.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1816 on: March 25, 2013, 10:51:59 AM »
robwebster, I am curious, what in her performance doesn't sell it for you completely? For me, she was a love at first sight. As was Karen Gillan.
I can't quite put my finger on it, but I've got a hunch it's this:

I'm not sure it's her performance as much as her dialogue. I've found her a little... quippy. She's dazzlingly intelligent, has Holmesian powers of deduction, lives a double life, and about her only flaw is that she's really good at dying. She dances circles around the Doctor, of all people.

I can't think of ways you could improve the performance, I think JLC herself has done an impeccable job and brought a lot of energy to her characters, but I think someone in such an unrealistic situation needs a very realistic personality. Amy Pond was in an unrealistic situation, too, but she was also clearly flawed - she had abandonment issues, slow to trust, afraid of commitment, very clear anxiety from the word "go." She was clever, sassy, smart, but you get the impression that if she hadn't met the Doctor, or certainly if the Doctor had never come back for her, she'd have just carried on living her life, making bad decisions, maybe never even realising how much she truly loved Rory.

I haven't yet found JLC's characters particularly authentic, I suppose. She's too shiny, too perfect. Ultra-quick mind. The Doctor only takes the best, but it's almost like she's got a big neon sign over her head saying "Best person in the story." Which she doesn't need, cos she's a great actress, wrapped in a mystery that's only become more fascinating as we've discovered more about it.

I'm hoping her present day incarnation's going to be a little more measured. Doesn't need to be unrecognisable, just... a little less River Song, a little more Sally Sparrow, would be ace.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1817 on: March 25, 2013, 11:28:27 AM »
I refuse to watch this show because of the internet culture behind it.

I know I'm over a month late, but I've wanted to use this for a while.

But in all honesty, I know how you feel.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1818 on: March 27, 2013, 05:15:31 PM »
New Doctor Who stuff! There's a minisode called "Demon's Run: Two Days Later," which is either available if you subscribe to Doctor Who Series 7 Part B on US iTunes, or if you're very naughty. I'm a very naughty boy and I loved it.

Also released by the Radio Times is a really cool banner with a lot of the series' monsters, villains and a couple of allies. Which I'm going to put a bit lower in the post, so if you don't want to see it, you don't have to.

Before we get onto that, almost-full list of episode titles! In big fat text to push the picture of the monsters down the screen.

1. The Bells of Saint John
2. The Rings of Akhaten
3. Cold War
4. Hide
5. Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS
6. The Crimson Horror
7. Nightmare in Silver
8. TBA

Written, as previously reported, by Steven Moffat, Neil Cross, Mark Gatiss, Neil Cross, Stephen Thompson, Mark Gatiss, Neil Gaiman, and Steven Moffat respectively. So that's mostly Neils and Steves, then.

Interesting tidbits - The Crimson Horror is focused on Vastra, Jenny and Strax, as they "tackle a case of their own, and stumble across the Doctor's path, quite accidentally." Meanwhile, The Rings of Akhaten features Steven Moffat's favourite new monster of the series, in the Vigil.

Right. Enough stalling. Here's yer villains, monsters and mates:

The monsters seem to be placed roughly in order of appearance from left to right, with Celia Imrie's character featuring in the first episode, the Vigil and the Mummy in the second, right up to the Whispermen who are believed to appear in the finale. This has got me properly excited, and I think it's starting to look like the ghost train that series 6 almost was.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1819 on: March 28, 2013, 09:45:41 AM »
Interesting tidbits - The Crimson Horror is focused on Vastra, Jenny and Strax, as they "tackle a case of their own, and stumble across the Doctor's path, quite accidentally."
Does this mean it'll be a Doctor-lite episode? We haven't really had one since series 4!

I be am boner inducing.