Author Topic: Doctor Who  (Read 216679 times)

Offline Cecilia

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Doctor Who S7: The Angels Take Manhattan
« Reply #1645 on: September 29, 2012, 09:29:53 PM »
I cried!

I am never going to look at the Statue of Liberty the same way.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #1646 on: September 29, 2012, 11:12:07 PM »
Great episode.

Though I thought the whole statue of liberty thing was pretty hokey to be honest.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #1647 on: September 29, 2012, 11:19:58 PM »

Though I thought the whole statue of liberty thing was pretty hokey to be honest.

Sure, but where else but could they do that without going all Planet of the Apes on everyone. It was a little strange, but it ties the place to the episode a bit more clearly than just saying that they're in Manhattan along with the Times Square shots.
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #1648 on: September 29, 2012, 11:39:04 PM »
Let's face it, the idea of the Statue of Liberty just idly stomping across town and apparently no one noticing is silly, but c'mon, you do a story with the Weeping Angels in New York City, how can you resist it? And given everything that followed after the second appearance of the statue, I have no complaints.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1649 on: September 29, 2012, 11:53:04 PM »
My main problem with it is that it literally did nothing but stomp around. It had no apparent purpose but to make scary faces at the rooftop and then go right back to welcoming our huddled masses afterwards.

Either way however, it's a minor gripe.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1650 on: September 30, 2012, 03:37:54 AM »
My main problem with it is that it literally did nothing but stomp around. It had no apparent purpose but to make scary faces at the rooftop and then go right back to welcoming our huddled masses afterwards.

Either way however, it's a minor gripe.
Does it need to have a purpose beyond being a fun, cool idea? This is a family show after all!

But anyway it seemed to be there to catch anyone who escaped from the farm. Didn't manage it with Rory and Amy but did it to the guy at the start.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #1651 on: September 30, 2012, 06:06:07 AM »
It did appear that the statue was the last line of defense in keeping people in the building if all else failed, but really, it was there for the end of the pre-credits sequence shocking shot to look cool.  :lol
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1652 on: September 30, 2012, 04:28:16 PM »
I'm so sad  :'(
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #1653 on: October 02, 2012, 11:55:02 AM »
I wonder if the Doctor will visit Brian and let him know what happened to Amy and Rory, especially after the dramatic scene in which he explains to Brian what happened to his previous companions.

Also is it Christmas yet? Oswin please.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #1654 on: October 03, 2012, 07:05:08 AM »
Just gonna leave this here:

Would have watched it, but was busy at the time with puppy scare (I have yet more dogs now). But from what I've heard it was an epic episode.

Incidentally: That's the first time I've ever seen anyone running up to the labs...
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1655 on: October 03, 2012, 02:38:24 PM »
Don't let the Doctor see the damage. My brother has suggested this means Amy never found Rory in the end, but that's precisely why Amy wrote the afterword the way she did.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1656 on: October 03, 2012, 04:55:46 PM »
I don't understand what I'm supposed to be looking at in the picture.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1657 on: October 03, 2012, 06:42:21 PM »
I don't understand what I'm supposed to be looking at in the picture.
It's a filming location he knows from real life. He's mentioned it a couple of times in the last few pages, wondering if it'd appeared yet. Now it has!

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1658 on: October 03, 2012, 06:51:12 PM »
Ah. Seems like I haven't been paying attention to the thread enough.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #1659 on: October 06, 2012, 08:01:08 AM »
That shiny metal ball is what I spent most of my final year studying. It's meant to demonstrate the rotation of the earth, but we didn't get the thing that jiggles it up and down working, so it largely stops swinging before it changes direction very much.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Doctor Who
« Reply #1660 on: November 18, 2012, 08:19:36 AM »
Just finished the first season. I really, really liked it after the first couple of episodes. Darleks are amazing. So were those gasmasked "Are you my mummy" children.

Wasn't happy to see the arrival of David Tennant at the end of the season, though. I was really starting to like the Doctor as he was.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #1661 on: November 18, 2012, 08:29:12 AM »
I really like Eccleston.  It's a shame he didn't get enough time to fully leave his mark on the character.

Likewise, it's a shame that Tennant suffered the brunt of RTD's worst habits.  But I'm sure you'll be won over by him, PC.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1662 on: November 18, 2012, 09:03:54 AM »
Hurrah! Welcome to the fold!

I remember going into school the Monday after Chris Eccleston regenerated and thoroughly taking the piss out of David Tennant. The teeth, the faces, the over-enunciation of the word "BAR-suh-LOA-nah." No respect whatsoever, it was like Chris Eccleston had been replaced by a supply teacher.

I also remember the first day back after Christmas. To say we'd changed our tunes would be... an understatement. Trust me, he's the Doctor. Keep checking in, I am incredibly jealous of the journey you're about to go on.

Also, for anyone who's up to date, everyone who's seen The Angels Take Manhattan - who wants to watch a three minute mini-episode set before the Christmas special!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYsexXUr_Jk

It's good, I promise.

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1663 on: November 18, 2012, 12:26:43 PM »
I really liked Eccleston. He was the "darkest" doctor of the new series. I really enjoy David and Matt as well though. The Angels Take Manhattan is amazing.
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1664 on: November 18, 2012, 06:07:55 PM »
Ecclestone never clicked with me. I don't know if it was his face, his way of speaking or what but I was very happy when Tenant came on board. I prefer him over Matt Smith as well who took me 4 or 5 episodes to like, but now I'm dreading the moment he regenerates.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1665 on: December 04, 2012, 01:02:11 PM »

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1666 on: December 04, 2012, 02:39:47 PM »
:clap:

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1667 on: December 04, 2012, 05:54:15 PM »
Amazing.

Also - summoning Perpetual Change! How far are you! Are you enjoying it! Don't look at that picture if you've not done series six!

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1668 on: December 25, 2012, 04:25:08 PM »
That was wonderful :heart

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #1669 on: December 25, 2012, 08:29:29 PM »
That was fantastic. Jenna-Louise Coleman is amazing.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1670 on: December 25, 2012, 08:36:20 PM »
Yeah, based on only two episodes Clara is already well on track to be my favorite companion.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #1671 on: December 25, 2012, 09:41:27 PM »
Jenna-Louise Coleman is already making me say "Karen who?"  :lol

And you know what? I'd pay good money to see a comedy series starring the Doctor and Strax. That'd be GOLD.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1672 on: December 26, 2012, 08:47:38 AM »
Strax is alive? How? Who? When?
I didn't like how the episode didn't make a lot of sense in terms of setting and where the doctor is, etc. Turns out, all the trailers and promos for it are kind of mini episodes with a little bit of context filling all that out. I wish they had included them with the episode.

Wasn't happy to see the arrival of David Tennant at the end of the season, though. I was really starting to like the Doctor as he was.
That pretty much happens to all the doctors, at least for me. I only recently watched all the 6 seasons for the first time and each and every time I immediately disliked the new doctor and after a few episodes I was completely sold. Remarkable job with the casting, I must say. Overall, Tennant is probably my favourite. I, too, regret that Eccleston didn't get at least 1-2 more seasons.

Also, am I in the minority to think that it was a damn shame to "ruin" such a lovely character and story with Rose by using such a meh actress? I mean she did a fine job but after I saw all the other companions, they blow her out of the water.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 08:53:17 AM by abydos »

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1673 on: December 26, 2012, 09:54:32 AM »
So far, I have not been able to get into season 2 at all. There have been a couple really great episodes, like the one that takes place in pre-Revolutionary France and the few leading up to Mickey leaving, but I've either forgotten or fallen asleep through the others. The episodes just seem really long and random to me.  Rose's character development has stagnated, especially with Mickey's departure, and honestly I'm not sure why I'm watching anymore.  There's no compelling, overarching plot, and the characters have ceased to be interesting to me. 45 minutes of television seems too long for a show that focuses on shallow Sci-Fi novelties as the main conflict, at least when it's lacking the same great writing and characters that I feel like season 1 had.

The fiance basically forces me to watch all the episodes, and it's turned into a chore rather than a joy.  I'd much rather her just make me watch the really good ones, 'cause right now I'm enjoying maybe 1 out of 3, and moping around about what a drag it is to lose 90 minutes watching the other two.   

Also, am I in the minority to think that it was a damn shame to "ruin" such a lovely character and story with Rose by using such a meh actress? I mean she did a fine job but after I saw all the other companions, they blow her out of the water.

I loved her in season 1, but as stated above, something happened in season 2. The chemistry forced on us between her and Tennant isn't very good; neither is their relationship without Mickey complicating things. Big thumbs up on Rose during season 1; big meh from season 2. She is cute, though  :biggrin:
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 10:09:19 AM by Perpetual Change »

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
« Reply #1674 on: December 26, 2012, 10:49:14 AM »
So far, I have not been able to get into season 2 at all. There have been a couple really great episodes, like the one that takes place in pre-Revolutionary France and the few leading up to Mickey leaving, but I've either forgotten or fallen asleep through the others. The episodes just seem really long and random to me.  Rose's character development has stagnated, especially with Mickey's departure, and honestly I'm not sure why I'm watching anymore.  There's no compelling, overarching plot, and the characters have ceased to be interesting to me. 45 minutes of television seems too long for a show that focuses on shallow Sci-Fi novelties as the main conflict, at least when it's lacking the same great writing and characters that I feel like season 1 had.

The fiance basically forces me to watch all the episodes, and it's turned into a chore rather than a joy.  I'd much rather her just make me watch the really good ones, 'cause right now I'm enjoying maybe 1 out of 3, and moping around about what a drag it is to lose 90 minutes watching the other two.   

I loved her in season 1, but as stated above, something happened in season 2. The chemistry forced on us between her and Tennant isn't very good; neither is their relationship without Mickey complicating things. Big thumbs up on Rose during season 1; big meh from season 2. She is cute, though  :biggrin:

I'd say stick it out until the end of Series 2, the end is definately worth it, I promise you.
I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1675 on: December 30, 2012, 05:22:22 AM »
Season 2 is definitely the weakest, but as you say it does have a few great episodes.

Season 3 is where it really starts to pick up though, so stick with it. The season-wide story arcs start to get bigger and the variety of companions keeps it exciting!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1676 on: December 30, 2012, 05:23:10 AM »
Oh and just caught up with the Christmas episode, loved it! Ian McKellen voicing the great intelligence was a very cool surprise, Richard E Grant was brilliant, and I'm pretty much in love with Jenna Louise Coleman.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1677 on: December 30, 2012, 09:33:40 AM »
I just saw the christmas special, and I'm really excited for what the next season holds.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1678 on: December 31, 2012, 08:05:36 PM »
Without saying too much... yes! Stick with it.

Because some of those complaints, like "No compelling, overarching plot," and "Character development stagnating..." those problems are fixed in later series, and how!!

I do generally advise people to start from series 5 (the latest fresh start) and then return to Rose when they know how much they love it - but even then, 3 and 4 both do the overarching plot thing much better than 2, and the second series' ending really works. You're in something of a patchy phase, and I fear the patchiest is yet to come (Love & Monsters followed by Fear Her... oh, my faith was tested!) but trust the girlfriend. You'll thank her when you're older. q:

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1679 on: December 31, 2012, 09:36:46 PM »
I have to ask, as one coming relatively recently to the series: are we all in agreement that the weeping angels are most likely the most creepiest, scariest, awesomest and kindest monsters ever created? Seriously, I'm having hard time thinking about anything that can even remotely compete.