Author Topic: Doctor Who  (Read 216455 times)

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
Re: Doctor Who S7: Dinosaurs on a Spaceship
« Reply #1610 on: September 15, 2012, 07:52:30 PM »
woah woah woah

why isn't this topic currently active?!

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1611 on: September 15, 2012, 10:19:20 PM »
Another great episode from Toby Whithouse!

Offline robwebster

Re: Doctor Who S7: A Town Called Mercy
« Reply #1612 on: September 16, 2012, 05:14:23 AM »
I've never been as huge a fan of Toby as everyone else seems to be. Didn't much like School Reunion, and The God Complex was just pretty good. Good characters, good visuals, but a bit of a rubbish resolution.

But this ep was class. Loved it. Apparently it's been fairly polarising, but I can't think why. Beautiful ep, great characters, wonderful dilemma at the heart of it, and it feels like a story I've never seen Doctor Who do. Really stupendous.

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #1613 on: September 16, 2012, 08:45:22 AM »
woah woah woah
woah woah woah

woah woah YAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!

:neverusethis:
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 10:14:29 AM by Cedar redaC »
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #1614 on: September 16, 2012, 09:52:23 AM »
It was an alright episode, considering the plot I feel like it should have had more of an impact than it did. Maybe I just need to rewatch it.

Also, some common threads:

*References to christmas in every episode
*Lightbulbs: flickering lights in eps 1 & 3, changing lightbulbs in Pond life and 2 - Weeping Angels make lightbulbs flicker/go out.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1615 on: September 16, 2012, 10:15:26 AM »
Yeah. Someone is obsessed with Christmas in DW. I thought it was okay. It was an interesting exercise in morality, though sometimes I wasn't quite sure what the other doctor was trying to accomplish when he was talking to the Doctor that night in the cell. Over all it was enjoyable. Not as good as the second, but still better than the first.

Offline alirocker08

• Apparently not a hobbit
  • 'Sup, I'm a very short elf
« Reply #1616 on: September 16, 2012, 10:41:50 AM »
Caught up after missing it last night.

Not my favourite episode out of the three so far, but good in it's own right

But the car alarm joke was great!
ITT: We discover that Alice is elvish...
Psshh, your status as a hobbit has just been a cover. Your cover has been blown.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1617 on: September 16, 2012, 04:58:23 PM »
Arg - lukewarm on here, too, then! That's fine. Don't worry, Mercy. I love you for who you are.

On a much broader note, has anyone picked up on this, yet? Just been to iPlayer to take some screencaps. Each taken at roughly the same point in the title sequence - you can tell by the positioning of the TARDIS.

How ominous is this?!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 05:04:00 PM by robwebster »

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1618 on: September 16, 2012, 06:08:04 PM »
So it's...getting darker?

I liked the episode, particularly the conversation between the Doctor and the town doctor, it was interesting. I was thinking he would mention something about all the Time Lords he killed when the town doctor mentioned having to carry the weight of all the souls he'd murdered when he reached the afterlife.

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1619 on: September 16, 2012, 07:00:18 PM »
We are seeing a much darker side of The Doctor lately. First he blows up a bunch of daleks, then he locks missiles onto an old man, and now he's used a gun.... This could be either very cool or very bad. I'm hoping for the best though!
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1620 on: September 16, 2012, 08:00:56 PM »
So it's...getting darker?
Yep! Vortex gets darker week on week. Building, possibly, to a pitch black vortex week five?

I liked the episode, particularly the conversation between the Doctor and the town doctor, it was interesting. I was thinking he would mention something about all the Time Lords he killed when the town doctor mentioned having to carry the weight of all the souls he'd murdered when he reached the afterlife.
I thought that, too - but his expression said it all. The right choice. Matt Smith's a hell of an actor. Getting noticably scarier this series, too, as Cedar says.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1621 on: September 16, 2012, 09:55:02 PM »
If there's one thing that hasn't gotten worse over the last few seasons, it's Matt Smith's acting. He a beautiful Doctor.

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1622 on: September 16, 2012, 10:21:51 PM »
Yep! Vortex gets darker week on week. Building, possibly, to a pitch black vortex week five?

That would be epic, especially considering that the weeping angels are set to appear.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1623 on: September 17, 2012, 06:47:10 PM »
Just finished watching the episode. It was meh but I do get that the Doctor is getting a lot darker and as some people said it could be really good or really bad. Maybe leading to a new companion?
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1624 on: September 17, 2012, 10:11:48 PM »
Just finished watching the episode. It was meh but I do get that the Doctor is getting a lot darker and as some people said it could be really good or really bad. Maybe leading to a new companion?
Definitely leading to a new companion.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1625 on: September 18, 2012, 12:29:44 AM »
I'm really surprised at people calling the latest episode "meh", I thought it was fantastic.

I'm also surprised at the general preference on here for the second episode. I mean, don't get me wrong, it was terrific fun, but it was just a bit of a silly romp and didn't have much to it. The first and third eps have been far superior in my opinion.

Anyway really enjoying the series so far. A nice return to the series 1-5 approach of opening the series with unconnected stories but subtly sewing the seeds of the story arc, which in this case seems to be about the Doctor getting darker and caring less about his morals, and also exploring who he really is. The first episode had the whole "Doctor Who" thing, in the second the pirate guy thought he was a medical doctor, and in the third he met another doctor of sorts. Interesting to see if this trend continues. As much as I loved the first half of series 6 and the way it went full on story arc, the second half didn't seem to really hold together as well as when they've built it up more slowly.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1626 on: September 18, 2012, 01:12:54 AM »
For me it definitely goes 1 > 2 > 3.

It's just a matter of execution. Mercy had all the ingredients of a brilliant episode, but they were raw and unmixed - in the end, it just felt weird. Dinosaurs, on the other hand, had all the makings of a fun, lighthearted episode, and still managed to swing it into some surprisingly dark and thoughtful territory quite effectively.

But still, loving the series so far.

Offline alirocker08

« Reply #1627 on: September 22, 2012, 01:40:09 PM »
My little brother ruined this episode for me, damn it.
Psshh, your status as a hobbit has just been a cover. Your cover has been blown.

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
Re: Doctor Who S7: The Power of Three
« Reply #1628 on: September 22, 2012, 08:07:24 PM »
Epic episode, can't believe that it hasn't been posted about yet. Probably the best of the new season!!

With the introduction of the Shakri, I think we may have the new bad guys!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 08:19:19 PM by Cedar redaC »

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1629 on: September 22, 2012, 08:41:01 PM »
I really liked this episode.  I guess the resolution with the Shakri was a little rushed, but it gave us such great insights into Amy, Rory, and the Doctor's relationship.  Best moment for me?  "I...miss you."  Its also great to see companions going on and continuing what they liked to do before they met the Doctor, rather than becoming professional alien hunters (Martha and Rose) or "investigators" (Sarah Jane).  Lots of different stuff this season with Amy and Rory.  Good different stuff (excepting the hard-to-believe divorce and reconciliation).  Its all building up to what I'm sure will be a tear-jerking goodbye next week.

I hope Kate sticks around.  The Brigadier was a great character and I always like the ties to old Who.  It was great to see another "modern earth gets invaded" story, which I feel we really haven't seen in a while.  Not on the scale as something like "Doomsday" anyway.  The best part about those episodes was that we got to see the companion's real life more, which is something that's been conveniently ignored with Amy and Rory until this season.  So yeah.  Liked the episode a lot.  I'm sure I'll think of more stuff to gush about.  Like how the intro has changed AGAIN.  Theres a weird effect around the TARDIS when lightning hits it now, and the end is purple rather than orange.  Odd....

So far the ranking is 2, 4, 3, and 1 for me.  They're all great though. 

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1630 on: September 22, 2012, 09:18:25 PM »
Just rewatched that old special where the Tenth Doctor and the Fifth Doctor meet. Not as great as I remember, although it did make me miss my Doctor (the Tenth).
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1631 on: September 22, 2012, 11:00:43 PM »
MAN that episode was fantastic. The Doctor continues his hatred of twitter, and we're introduced to someone new to fear, which is always interesting. And Kate was awesome, can't wait to see more of her.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1632 on: September 23, 2012, 11:45:39 AM »
It was a good episode, though the pacing felt really weird and anti-climatic.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #1633 on: September 23, 2012, 01:07:12 PM »
The pacing in the episode was massively off, and it didn't help that it felt like a 40 minute version of the Pond Life shorts that were aired before the season started. Just suddenly, here's a bad guy, here's an explanation, here's a resolution! This happens a lot with Who, where the episodes would benefit from an hour running time, but it was seriously noticeable this time.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1634 on: September 23, 2012, 09:09:46 PM »
Well to be quite honest... the entire point of the episode was to look into the relationship between the Doctor and Amy/Rory. The reason it felt like Pond Life is most likely because it was supposed to. It was a look into their lives, their struggles, and ultimately their decision on the matter of staying with the Doctor. I really enjoyed the chat between Amy and the Doctor, excellent scene.

I feel like the episode's quick resolution served only to introduce a new villain who we'll see again and again throughout this season, rather than dedicate the episode entirely to the villain. The episode was about exploring Amy, Rory, and the Doctor's relationship with each other, and because of that I really enjoyed the episode. Pacing wasn't fantastic, no, but I think it was meant to be a bit quirky and different.

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1635 on: September 23, 2012, 09:34:17 PM »
Well to be quite honest... the entire point of the episode was to look into the relationship between the Doctor and Amy/Rory. The reason it felt like Pond Life is most likely because it was supposed to. It was a look into their lives, their struggles, and ultimately their decision on the matter of staying with the Doctor. I really enjoyed the chat between Amy and the Doctor, excellent scene.

Yeah, and might I add: This is a great episode to show off the Ponds one more time before their last episode.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1636 on: September 24, 2012, 11:49:37 AM »
The pacing in the episode was massively off, and it didn't help that it felt like a 40 minute version of the Pond Life shorts that were aired before the season started. Just suddenly, here's a bad guy, here's an explanation, here's a resolution! This happens a lot with Who, where the episodes would benefit from an hour running time, but it was seriously noticeable this time.
I wouldn't be surprised if it's more the case that Pond Life was a little five minute version of the Power of Three, rather than the other way round. Written by Chris Chibnall, similar vibe - I reckon they looked at the finished episode and said to Chris, "Can we have some more of this, please?"

Makes it a little unfortunate that the episode proper came after, but it was a fun little piece. There were a lot of bits that didn't hang together - the orderly twins were unexplained, the abductions in the hospital were unexplained, and the little girl who was sat there for a full year made precious little sense either - but I feel like the cubes were mainly an excuse to get the gang together on Earth for a little while. It's the kind of thing that's deflating on the first viewing, because it was a great little mystery, but when I was watching at peace with the knowledge that the resolution would be a little bit pants, I was fully on board for all the good stuff, of which there was a lot. The ending is mercifully short, and contains enough good ideas swirling around in its goop that I smiled with it more than I frowned on the repeat viewing.

And honestly, I'd rather have "sonic screwdriver saves the day" - which we've not really seen since the RTD days - than another round of "feeling an emotion saves the day." Fine in small doses, but series 6b has kind of over-gorged me on it.

On the subject of RTD, actually, there's a bit of symmetry here with Boom Town, from his first series. Which, again - first time I watched it, I thought "that was a bit naff," specifically because the ending was hasty and unforeshadowed. But like The Power of Three, Boom Town isn't really about Earth's invasion - it's fundamentally a character piece, a bit of down-time to let us enjoy the current TARDIS-team while we still have them, with the stuff about the rift thrown in more as an excuse to get them all together than anything else. And like the Power of Three, the episode is therefore a lot better on the second viewing when you know what you're getting than on the first viewing when you're naturally more drawn to the invasion plot and would be forgiven for being disappointed by the fact that it's a little bit thin on the ground.

Incidentally, while we're drawing parallels, Boom Town's bolt-from-the-blue ending served the bonus purpose of introducing an idea - looking into the heart of the TARDIS - which would later be significant to the finale. I don't think that's what's going on here, I think the Shakri are just a cool idea Chibnall had that he felt like throwing in, but I'm more than happy to add fuel to the speculatory fire.

Offline robwebster

Re: Doctor Who S7: The Angels Take Manhattan
« Reply #1637 on: September 29, 2012, 12:17:26 PM »
In an hour, they'll be gone.

Good luck, guys. It's been a good two and a half years.

Offline alirocker08

« Reply #1638 on: September 29, 2012, 01:07:26 PM »
As far as I can recall, this is the first time I've cried at the series since Moffat took over, definitely on par with Rose's final episode!

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1639 on: September 29, 2012, 01:16:59 PM »
Oh, man.

Offline alirocker08

« Reply #1640 on: September 29, 2012, 01:19:49 PM »
And the opening...Yeah, they were definitely alluding to something with the changing of the colours in the titles, jeez, I got chills!

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #1641 on: September 29, 2012, 03:36:47 PM »
All I can say is wow. Just wow.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline E.S.

« Reply #1642 on: September 29, 2012, 04:37:43 PM »
We all knew it was coming since last year, but... Noooo! :(

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1643 on: September 29, 2012, 08:14:42 PM »
Awesome episode. Nowhere near as sad as I was expecting, though. Still loving the angels though, what a fantastic horror character.

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1644 on: September 29, 2012, 08:54:58 PM »
Awesome episode. Nowhere near as sad as I was expecting, though. Still loving the angels though, what a fantastic horror character.
I agree that it wasn't as sad as I was expecting, but still, I can't think of any better way to not only end the Williams' run as companions, but set The Doctor up for a new companion as well.

The Statue of Liberty as an angel was certainly unexpected though.