Author Topic: Doctor Who  (Read 216472 times)

Offline TheMadgician

Re: Doctor Who & Torchwood
« Reply #1295 on: October 03, 2011, 11:07:02 AM »
Well, it's the oldest question, hidden in plain sight. What else would it be? I thought it was cool that the question was The Doctors true name. Of course, I also guessed that's what it would be, so of course I'd like it. Though I will admit the reveal was a little cheesy.

I think he's referring to Silence in the Library. And I believe that she did tell him his name. 10 has no reason to lie there. The scene is between only the two of them.

I'd be lying if I said I remember it perfectly. But in Silence In The Library, did he automatically say it was his name, or did he mention it later when Donna asked? And he could have reason to lie. If he looked into her eye and saw 11 with the TARDIS just waving and shushing him. I'll admit it's unlikely. But how likely was it that River was Amy and Rorys daughter?

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
« Reply #1296 on: October 03, 2011, 11:16:21 AM »
He says it later when asked.
I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #1297 on: October 03, 2011, 11:19:35 AM »
Well that definitely works then. My friend went back to check. In The Wedding Of River Song, you can clearly tell he's saying "Look in my eye." In Silence in the Library, they block her mouth. From what I understand, Moffat's been planning this since season 1. So he probably intentionally blocked her mouth so people couldn't come back and check after this episode was aired.

OR I'm over thinking way too much.

Offline ACID_FOX

« Reply #1298 on: October 03, 2011, 11:37:35 AM »
From what I understand, Moffat's been planning this since season 1.

He's only been the head writer since series 5, before that he only wrote the occasional episodes, including Silence/Forest.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1299 on: October 03, 2011, 11:39:05 AM »
Well that definitely works then. My friend went back to check. In The Wedding Of River Song, you can clearly tell he's saying "Look in my eye." In Silence in the Library, they block her mouth. From what I understand, Moffat's been planning this since season 1. So he probably intentionally blocked her mouth so people couldn't come back and check after this episode was aired.

OR I'm over thinking way too much.

He doesn't tell Donna that River knows his name. At the end Ten and River are alone, and River is getting ready to die. The dialogue goes like this:

Ten: "River, you know my name. You whispered my name in my ear! There's only one reason I would ever tell anyone my name. There's only one time I could..."

River: "Hush, now — spoilers!"

There's no reason for him to lie. She definitely knew his name.

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #1300 on: October 03, 2011, 12:22:43 PM »
From what I understand, Moffat's been planning this since season 1.

He's only been the head writer since series 5, before that he only wrote the occasional episodes, including Silence/Forest.

Sure, he wasn't head writer. Doesn't mean he can't have a plan. It's been said by both him and Alex Kingston that he had the entire backstory for River planned by the time Silence/Forest happened. And he's come out and said that Jacks sonic blaster in Empty Child/Doctor Dances is the same one that River has in Silence/Forest. So theoretically, he's planned it since then.

He doesn't tell Donna that River knows his name. At the end Ten and River are alone, and River is getting ready to die. The dialogue goes like this:

Ten: "River, you know my name. You whispered my name in my ear! There's only one reason I would ever tell anyone my name. There's only one time I could..."

River: "Hush, now — spoilers!"

There's no reason for him to lie. She definitely knew his name.

I see, I honestly couldn't remember how exactly the exchange went down. I need to watch it again. I'm guessing it probably wasn't the case. But there are a lot of things in their relationship mirrored like that. So I think it's at least worth keeping in mind.

Example:

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1301 on: October 03, 2011, 12:33:41 PM »
I didn't catch that, actually.  Cool find!

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #1302 on: October 03, 2011, 12:36:05 PM »
I can't rightfully take credit, honestly.

https://doctorwho.tumblr.com/

There's a looot of cool stuff. If you go through the River Song tag, there's some really interesting thing posted.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1303 on: October 03, 2011, 12:46:06 PM »
I loved that they did that. It really shows how the Doctor has grown since the incident of Time Lord Victorious.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #1304 on: October 03, 2011, 02:35:28 PM »

And one last thing. The time line. Original time line, The Doctor is killed by the astronaut/River. Amy, Rory and River then go to what I think was a restaurant and find the younger Doctor. They then set out on an adventure that leads them back to The God Complex, The Doctor leaving them, and then his death. BUT it showed Amy, Rory, and River drinking together. Amy was still shell shocked and in disbelief that she just saw him die. River than reveals that he's alive. But when would that fit in? Did the time line change? I mean, the fixed point of his "death" remains, but the details around it can change. Do we have altered time line going on? or?

My guess on this one is that the scene where they are drinking happens after The God Complex. That's the only thing that makes sense because Amy would be depressed after the Doctor said good bye and only then would start thinking that he was in fact dead.

I'm thinking it's some point after TGC, but with the memories from the combined universe thing bleeding over - hence why she now says the Doctor's dead, as the last thing to happen in that timeline was the Doctor and River kissing, which kicked things back to normal.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #1305 on: October 03, 2011, 07:53:41 PM »
Tardispedia points out the River at the end of The Wedding of River Song is fresh from the crash of the Byzantium. So that'd be River from season 5. And that's becuase of time going all wonky with the fixed point and all that. Not sure where that puts things.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1306 on: October 04, 2011, 01:30:21 AM »
Tardispedia points out the River at the end of The Wedding of River Song is fresh from the crash of the Byzantium. So that'd be River from season 5. And that's because of time going all wonky with the fixed point and all that. Not sure where that puts things.

Why is that? I thought it was general knowledge that in her previous appearances she'd already experienced future events. No real contradiction that the River in Time of the Angels had already done Lake Silencio and such.

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #1307 on: October 04, 2011, 10:36:15 AM »
Well it's not contradiction that she'd know of Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon. It just generally wouldn't make sense for her to be there after Time of Angels.

My understanding is when the fixed point was compromised, all time just kind of bottle necked right there. Into a giant traffic jam clusterfuck. And then when it was restored, it mostly went back to normal, but some things didn't go back to the proper order. Thus, Time of Angels River being there after Impossible Astronaut.

Offline Millais

« Reply #1308 on: October 04, 2011, 11:22:54 AM »
considering I only understood it after I wikipedia'd it, how on earth was a child meant to understand that episode? It was great, but the plot was very complex for the majority of the audience.
What didn't you understand? I agree that a young child wouldn't get all the finer details/complexities, but that's always the case with family shows/films. But I don't see what was so baffling for an adult.

it wasn't particularly easy to follow. perhaps because of the many subplots etc. I'm not sure, I usually find programs like these very easy to follow but I just couldn't work this one out :(

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1309 on: October 04, 2011, 01:57:56 PM »
Who wants to rank the season's episodes?

The Doctor's Wife
A Good Man Goes to War
The Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon
The Girl Who Waited
The Rebel Flesh/The Almost People
The God Complex
Let's Kill Hitler
Closing Time
The Wedding of River Song
Night Terrors
Curse of the Black Spot

You know, besides pacing issues with the finale and the last two episodes, this was a really solid season. 

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1310 on: October 04, 2011, 02:01:54 PM »
The Doctor's Wife
A Good Man Goes to War
The God Complex
Let's Kill Hitler
The Girl Who Waited
Closing Time
Night Terrors
Curse of the Black Spot

Just had to change two things. Otherwise I agree completely.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1311 on: October 04, 2011, 02:05:31 PM »
Hmm, that's a tough one. Mine's not too dissimilar to yours Matt, but with a few movements:

The Doctor's Wife
A Good Man Goes to War
The Girl Who Waited
The God Complex
Let's Kill Hitler
Night Terrors
Closing Time
Curse of the Black Spot

Wikipedia considers AGMGTW/LKH to be a two-parter, but I don't agree as I think the stories are pretty independent. Plus, they had different directors.

EDIT: And yeah, I thought it was a fantastic series! My only slight issue was that the episodes in the second half were much more standalone, so as brilliant as some of them were, the momentum that the series had built up to LKH died away a bit.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1312 on: October 04, 2011, 04:58:50 PM »
Yeah, agreed there.  At least with going to standalone stories after DotM, there was some kind of resolution with the Silence problem despite the questions of "who killed the Doctor, can he survive, and who is that time lord girl?"  Maybe if they had kept all the Doctor dying stuff to the second half of the season or something and maybe end the standalone adventures in the first half with Rebel Flesh/Almost People (which would have made a pretty cool cliffhanger, IMO), and the Doctor could drop off Amy and Rory before he goes off to "die?"

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1313 on: October 04, 2011, 05:04:27 PM »
Well, I don't see Rebel Flesh/Almost people as a standalone story really, as is so strongly tied in with the story arc (not just the revelations at the end but also the fact that the whole reason they went there at all was so the Doctor could check the flesh out). So in the first half the only real standalone was Black Spot, which was good fun but nothing more than that really.

Whereas Night Terrors through to Closing Time were all pretty standalone, apart from the last few minutes of the latter. At least, that's how I see it, and it just slightly killed the momentum. But then again, those last few minutes of Closing Time were bloody good and I loved the finale, so it's not a huge complaint. :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline ACID_FOX

« Reply #1314 on: October 04, 2011, 05:14:13 PM »
I think Rob actually was The Doctor, and he's stopped posting here since going underground.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #1315 on: October 04, 2011, 05:22:23 PM »
The Doctor's Wife
A Good Man Goes to War
The Girl Who Waited
The God Complex
Let's Kill Hitler
Night Terrors
Curse of the Black Spot
Closing Time

..or something along those lines.  I need to rewatch all the earlier episodes in the season sometime. 

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1316 on: October 04, 2011, 05:24:14 PM »
Well, I don't see Rebel Flesh/Almost people as a standalone story really, as is so strongly tied in with the story arc (not just the revelations at the end but also the fact that the whole reason they went there at all was so the Doctor could check the flesh out). So in the first half the only real standalone was Black Spot, which was good fun but nothing more than that really.

Whereas Night Terrors through to Closing Time were all pretty standalone, apart from the last few minutes of the latter. At least, that's how I see it, and it just slightly killed the momentum. But then again, those last few minutes of Closing Time were bloody good and I loved the finale, so it's not a huge complaint. :lol

I meant like the first half of the season is Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon, Black Spot, Doctor's Wife, The Girl Who Waited, Night Terrors, then ends with Rebel Flesh/Almost People, with the revelation of Amy being flesh the big cliffhanger.  Then its AGMGTW/LKH, God Complex (which could happen because the whole "TARDIS takes the Doctor where he NEEDS to go rather than where he wants to, to make him get rid of Amy and Rory"), Closing Time, WoRS. 

Kosmo

« Reply #1317 on: October 09, 2011, 12:34:59 PM »
Really getting into the series again, I bought a Doctor Who DVD box ages ago but I sort of forgot about it. The box has the series with Tennant as the doctor, trying to find the newest series too.

Offline ACID_FOX

« Reply #1318 on: October 09, 2011, 12:48:06 PM »
Really getting into the series again, I bought a Doctor Who DVD box ages ago but I sort of forgot about it. The box has the series with Tennant as the doctor, trying to find the newest series too.

Tennant was The Doctor for three seasons, but glad you're enjoying it!

Kosmo

« Reply #1319 on: October 09, 2011, 12:49:17 PM »
I know, I have no clue what the plural of series is so I just went with that but it does have all three.  :P

Offline ACID_FOX

« Reply #1320 on: October 09, 2011, 12:53:04 PM »
Aaaah right, gotcha.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1321 on: October 12, 2011, 01:39:26 AM »
Finished the Ninth Doctor, ONWARDS TO TEN

Offline ACID_FOX

« Reply #1322 on: October 12, 2011, 09:24:30 AM »
Finished the Ninth Doctor, ONWARDS TO TEN

If you're anything like me, get ready to cry.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1323 on: October 17, 2011, 04:02:23 PM »

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1324 on: October 17, 2011, 05:17:26 PM »
That's eleven's screwdriver, not four's.  Dammit Gabe!

Also, Sigz, I thought you saw all the episodes?  Are you just rewatching the revival from beginning to end or what?

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1325 on: October 17, 2011, 05:19:57 PM »
No, I only got into DW when The Almost People aired.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1326 on: October 17, 2011, 05:20:38 PM »
WAT

You can't dress as the TARDIS for Halloween until you see all of them!  DO IT NOW!  WHY ARE YOU STILL HERE!  GET!

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1327 on: October 17, 2011, 05:21:04 PM »
IVE BEEN WATCHING THEM LIKE EVERDAY STFU

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1328 on: October 17, 2011, 05:24:00 PM »
THE ALMOST PEOPLE AIRED LIKE HALF A YEAR AGO THAT WAS PLENTY OF TIME TO WATCH EVERYTHING YOU WHORE

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1329 on: October 17, 2011, 05:27:35 PM »
WELL EXCUUUSE ME PRINCESS I HAD SHIT TO DO