Author Topic: Doctor Who  (Read 216572 times)

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
Re: Doctor Who & Torchwood
« Reply #1260 on: October 01, 2011, 05:36:26 PM »
Compare this to A Good Man Goes To War...I was expecting that X 10.
I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1261 on: October 01, 2011, 05:55:35 PM »
I dunno, it did a better job than "Let's Kill Hitler" in terms of pacing.  I do agree with Seth that I would've liked for it to be a two-parter, or at least make the whole series more of an arc than it was.  I mean, I loved "The Doctor's Wife," its one of Matt Smith's best episodes, but it could have been delayed for another season if season 6 was built more like one continuous story of the Doctor trying to avert his death and fight the Silence.  Or they could have at least changed "Night Terrors" and "Curse of the Black Spot" to be more story-centric. 

But overall I liked the new episode.  The whole idea of what happens when you mess with a fixed point of time that can't resolve itself (not like Waters of Mars, where the base blew up and Adelaide killed herself anyways despite being saved by the Doctor) was really cool, and definitely shows that the Doctor has fully recovered from his "A God am I" moment from that episode, since he's so strict about the fixed point now.  And if it is a fixed point, then the Tesselecta was always fated to "die" there.  I don't like how they "cut" the scene where the Doctor says "working on that" in response to the Tesselecta only to have it reappear in a flashback though.  I always thought that tactic was kind of cheating the audience.  Overall the whole arc had a lot of promise, but I think it slipped up in the execution a few times.  I don't think Doctor Who is really made for this kind of thing.

I do like how it set up the next series to be more "Monster-of-the-week" based.  Should be interesting to watch the Doctor have tiny adventures while trying to restrain himself from doing anything supermassive. 

Also, was the scene where the troll was being eaten by skulls cheesy or what?  :lol

Offline ACID_FOX

« Reply #1262 on: October 01, 2011, 05:58:12 PM »
Yeah, those effects were ghastly.

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #1263 on: October 01, 2011, 08:06:46 PM »
I can agree that it felt like they rushed through the episode a bit, but I really enjoyed it. I also like that I was right about the question having to do with his name.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #1264 on: October 01, 2011, 08:18:04 PM »
I can agree that it felt like they rushed through the episode a bit, but I really enjoyed it.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1265 on: October 01, 2011, 11:22:35 PM »
I don't get it. I'm so afraid that Moffat's just not going to resolve all these questions we had.

Does this mean that the person in the background of the lake scene was just a production error?

Edit for more questions:

When do we see how the Doctor and River fall in love? I don't get it. It's like they just both kind of accepted that they were supposed to fall in love, but I never saw any actual reason for it to happen.

And does that mean the Doctor still has to tell River her name?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 11:32:35 PM by Implode »

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1266 on: October 02, 2011, 05:02:22 AM »
Am I the only one who absolutely loved that episode? :lol I suspected it was the tesselecta when they brought it back earlier in the episode, but still, the way it was done was fantastic, and interestingly back when they first introduced it in LKH, I never even considered it!

The pacing was fine, basically the same as Doctor Who has been for the last few seasons. And it answered all the questions except this thing about his name being the big question, which in true Moffat style sets up the next series!

I dunno, maybe my mind just works in the same way as Moffat's because that was one of my favourites of the series. :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Millais

« Reply #1267 on: October 02, 2011, 08:19:58 AM »
considering I only understood it after I wikipedia'd it, how on earth was a child meant to understand that episode? It was great, but the plot was very complex for the majority of the audience.

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #1268 on: October 02, 2011, 09:18:38 AM »
I don't get it. I'm so afraid that Moffat's just not going to resolve all these questions we had.

Does this mean that the person in the background of the lake scene was just a production error?

Edit for more questions:

When do we see how the Doctor and River fall in love? I don't get it. It's like they just both kind of accepted that they were supposed to fall in love, but I never saw any actual reason for it to happen.

Person in the background of the lake? You mean Canton Delaware? He was invited.

And they've been falling in love for a while, pretty much. Every time they meet, they flirt. It doesn't have to be a single big moment.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #1269 on: October 02, 2011, 09:30:59 AM »
I think the big question is still why the TARDIS exploded.  That little bit wasn't even addressed. 

Also,

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1270 on: October 02, 2011, 09:48:29 AM »
considering I only understood it after I wikipedia'd it, how on earth was a child meant to understand that episode? It was great, but the plot was very complex for the majority of the audience.
What didn't you understand? I agree that a young child wouldn't get all the finer details/complexities, but that's always the case with family shows/films. But I don't see what was so baffling for an adult.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ACID_FOX

« Reply #1271 on: October 02, 2011, 10:02:57 AM »

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1272 on: October 02, 2011, 10:57:09 AM »

Edit for more questions:

And they've been falling in love for a while, pretty much. Every time they meet, they flirt. It doesn't have to be a single big moment.

I'm wanting a big moment. I think that's just more of my problem.

But as for the guy in the background, I don't mean Canton. I can't find any screenshot of the scene, but it's really easy to see. There's a figure way in the background by that beach house. It's standing right next to it, and after the Doctor Dies, the figure is lying down. It could've been a production error, but since the last time there was a supposed production error, it was during Flesh and Stone when he came back for Amy in a different outfit...everyone thought that figure was going to be important.

I just think I had my expectation too high. I was expecting everything to be tied to together very neatly and have all my questions answered. That wasn't the case at all though. Like the very first question I had when I first saw this series was, "why the space suit?" I don't get it.

And just to be sure, when The Doctor says that he told River his name, he actually told her that he was safe. And that's what River told Amy in the end, right?

Offline ACID_FOX

« Reply #1273 on: October 02, 2011, 11:42:35 AM »

Edit for more questions:

I'm wanting a big moment. I think that's just more of my problem.

But as for the guy in the background, I don't mean Canton. I can't find any screenshot of the scene, but it's really easy to see. There's a figure way in the background by that beach house. It's standing right next to it, and after the Doctor Dies, the figure is lying down. It could've been a production error, but since the last time there was a supposed production error, it was during Flesh and Stone when he came back for Amy in a different outfit...everyone thought that figure was going to be important.

I just think I had my expectation too high. I was expecting everything to be tied to together very neatly and have all my questions answered. That wasn't the case at all though. Like the very first question I had when I first saw this series was, "why the space suit?" I don't get it.

And just to be sure, when The Doctor says that he told River his name, he actually told her that he was safe. And that's what River told Amy in the end, right?

Yeah, he said "look in my eye" indicating the rela version oh himself inside the machine. To be honest not much of it makes sense. If the suit acted by itself why was River even needed? And how did she go from not being able to overpower it to being able to drain its weapons?

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1274 on: October 02, 2011, 12:12:25 PM »
Wait, what? When did the suit act by itself? It was partially controlling her, but it still needed her inside it.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #1275 on: October 02, 2011, 12:22:11 PM »
It seemed pretty clear that she was largely powerless to control the suit.  Maybe it needed a person inside it, but why did it need to be a time lord, let alone her, if the suit was going to do all of the work anyway?  It seems that they could just strap any bloke in a suit, call it a "fixed point" and have the same effect.   

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1276 on: October 02, 2011, 12:26:50 PM »
Except that she wasn't powerless to stop it, because she DID stop it. The thing that she was struggling to overcome was the part of her that had been raised to kill the Doctor.

The only thing I don't really get was why the spacesuit?

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1277 on: October 02, 2011, 12:36:14 PM »

Exactly. If Moffat doesn't come back next season and make things a little more coherent, then I think he's finally tried to be too confusing for his own good.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #1278 on: October 02, 2011, 12:37:04 PM »
Except that she wasn't powerless to stop it, because she DID stop it. The thing that she was struggling to overcome was the part of her that had been raised to kill the Doctor.

The way that she said "The suit's in control" makes it seem a little more likely that the suit is actually in control.  I figured that her draining the weapon systems was just her way of tricking the suit to stop it from acting of its own accord and killing the doctor, and not a control that she was meant to have.  She doesn't seem to be struggling at all with her desire to kill the doctor; you'd think there'd at least be a little sign of it if that were the case. 

Offline ACID_FOX

« Reply #1279 on: October 02, 2011, 12:40:04 PM »
There's no explanation for the whole setup at all. Why do they put her in the water? Where does so go after the kills The Doctor? Why that lake?

Offline petrucci07

« Reply #1280 on: October 02, 2011, 01:22:41 PM »
There's no explanation for the whole setup at all. Why do they put her in the water? Where does so go after the kills The Doctor? Why that lake?

To create a fixed point in time. It's isolated.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1281 on: October 02, 2011, 01:27:50 PM »
Presumably creating a fixed point in the timeline of the universe is a rather complex operation - hence why they needed an open area that was relatively stable throughout the timeline, as stated in the finale. Following this, it's not surprising that that would apply to the people involved - you need a timelord or someone else who else can operate with some independence to the timeline. The suit was another means of control alongside River's brainwashing to try to help ensure that the Doctor died. Why is it a spacesuit? Because fuck you that's why.

Offline ACID_FOX

« Reply #1282 on: October 02, 2011, 02:41:39 PM »
Well I still don't care for the episode. Also, where the hell is Rob?

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1283 on: October 02, 2011, 02:49:10 PM »
Why is it a spacesuit? Because fuck you that's why.

But other than that, I completely agree with your post. :tup

I be am boner inducing.

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #1284 on: October 02, 2011, 04:44:32 PM »
Also, where the hell is Rob?

I've been wondering this for awhile. I always enjoyed talking to him about Doctor Who, he's got that great excitement about him. Very fun.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1285 on: October 02, 2011, 05:03:24 PM »
Here are pics of what I was talking about.

There is a person standing by that beach house.

And after The Doctor gets shot, the figure is lying down.

Do you think it's this guy?

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #1286 on: October 02, 2011, 05:29:04 PM »
Well I still don't care for the episode. Also, where the hell is Rob?

After reading this post, I spent the longest time trying to remember who "Rob" was in Doctor Who and why he was important.  God dammit Clairvoyantcat. 

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #1287 on: October 02, 2011, 08:29:21 PM »
So. A few things.

The Doctor lies.
He whispered in her ear to look in his eye, but then proclaimed that he told her his name.

The Doctor lies.
River whispered in his ear and he then proclaimed that she told him his name.

It seems unlikely. But it's Moffat. Perhaps she told him to look into her eye. Perhaps it was another robot like the Tessalecta, with the 11th waiting inside with the TARDIS. Just a thought.

Another thing. I think the voice singing the "Tick tock, goes the clock, even for The Doctor." and all that.  I think that was young Melody Pond. The Melody Pond that called the president.

And one last thing. The time line. Original time line, The Doctor is killed by the astronaut/River. Amy, Rory and River then go to what I think was a restaurant and find the younger Doctor. They then set out on an adventure that leads them back to The God Complex, The Doctor leaving them, and then his death. BUT it showed Amy, Rory, and River drinking together. Amy was still shell shocked and in disbelief that she just saw him die. River than reveals that he's alive. But when would that fit in? Did the time line change? I mean, the fixed point of his "death" remains, but the details around it can change. Do we have altered time line going on? or?

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1288 on: October 02, 2011, 08:43:53 PM »
The Doctor lies.
He whispered in her ear to look in his eye, but then proclaimed that he told her his name.

The Doctor lies.
River whispered in his ear and he then proclaimed that she told him his name.

Huh? When did River whisper to the Doctor?

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1289 on: October 02, 2011, 08:52:29 PM »
I think he's referring to Silence in the Library. And I believe that she did tell him his name. 10 has no reason to lie there. The scene is between only the two of them.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1290 on: October 02, 2011, 09:00:52 PM »
Ooooohhhh ok.

As for the last scene, I have no idea when that takes place.

Offline ACID_FOX

« Reply #1291 on: October 03, 2011, 07:21:19 AM »
Convoluted story is convoluted.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1292 on: October 03, 2011, 08:26:30 AM »

And one last thing. The time line. Original time line, The Doctor is killed by the astronaut/River. Amy, Rory and River then go to what I think was a restaurant and find the younger Doctor. They then set out on an adventure that leads them back to The God Complex, The Doctor leaving them, and then his death. BUT it showed Amy, Rory, and River drinking together. Amy was still shell shocked and in disbelief that she just saw him die. River than reveals that he's alive. But when would that fit in? Did the time line change? I mean, the fixed point of his "death" remains, but the details around it can change. Do we have altered time line going on? or?

My guess on this one is that the scene where they are drinking happens after The God Complex. That's the only thing that makes sense because Amy would be depressed after the Doctor said good bye and only then would start thinking that he was in fact dead.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline ScioPath

• the king of dance
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1293 on: October 03, 2011, 08:58:50 AM »
Am I the only one who thought the final 'question' was stupid and gimmicky?

Offline ACID_FOX

« Reply #1294 on: October 03, 2011, 10:12:24 AM »
Am I the only one who thought the final 'question' was stupid and gimmicky?

Part of me thinks it's gimmicky, part of me things it's kind of cool. I do wish it was something more exiting though, as it's already a question that everyone has already been wondering about for years and we all know we'll never get an answer, so it doesn't exactly get my imagination going for the next series.