Author Topic: Doctor Who  (Read 216544 times)

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
Re: Doctor Who & Torchwood
« Reply #1120 on: August 29, 2011, 03:47:34 AM »
Ah, alright, thanks for the information.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline adameastment

« Reply #1121 on: August 29, 2011, 06:59:53 AM »
All I can say is, Torchwood Episode 8 is very interesting ;)

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1122 on: August 29, 2011, 07:31:51 AM »
AGH. Do not tempt me! My ISP's gone all twunty lately and downgraded our package, so it would take me ten years to watch it. D:

I am very much in suspense, though. Ack. Actually genuinely considering slowing the house down to a crawl.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1123 on: August 29, 2011, 07:45:32 AM »
Regarding regenerations: I believe Moffat/the BBC has pretty much retconned that as "The Doctor is immortal now."  Plus, maybe the 13 regenerations was a rule of the Time Lords, and since the Doctor is the last one, this is a "Time Lord victorious" moment that would actually work in his favor. 

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1124 on: August 29, 2011, 07:53:56 AM »
Yeah! More or less. It's always been ambiguous, anyway. Not to mention, we've seen that regenerative energy is something that can be absorbed and transferred. Saying "Time Lords have the energy to regenerate twelve times" is a bit like saying "A sloth is sixty centimetres long" - some are longer than others, some are shorter, biological mechanisms are rarely 100% standardised. And  given that it uses a sort of energy that can be transferred and redirected and commoditised and all, I think it's very unlikely that the Time Lords would fight a time war without filling their warriors up with extra juice.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1125 on: August 29, 2011, 09:02:21 AM »
Possibly The Most Important Thing in Let’s Kill Hitler

I’m just going to put this out there because I’m struggling with it. And it will probably be my focus for awhile, kind of like how something being wrong with Amy stuck with me the whole of part one.

The Doctor’s clothes are probably the most important thing in Let’s Kill Hitler. And I think we should keep an eye on them.

First, he starts out with a new coat. I don’t know the significance yet, but I have a feeling his new coat is going to be important. Where did he get it? Why was he wearing it at the start? It disappears later in the episode and he puts on his classic look at the end.

Second, no one seems to care that he just randomly appears in a tuxedo. This is connected to the computer Amelia Pond as well. We hear her say, “fish fingers and custard” to The Doctor. Although, it cannot be the computer that says it. The computer was insistent that it wasn’t Amelia Pond. Also, there isn’t any real way for the interface to make that emotional connection/memory. Lastly, we are conveniently not shown Amelia when it’s said.

So he hears this clue, it clearly has meaning to him. He gets up and goes somewhere in the TARDIS. Next thing we know, he appears in a tuxedo. You know where else he had a tuxedo? Amy and Rory’s wedding.

In Series 5, he is at the wedding and clearly has a red corsage on his chest. Then, it cuts to Amy’s house where The Doctor appears, still in tuxedo, but he is corsage-less. Although, you cans make out a safety pin on his chest. You can also make out the safety pin on his chest in Let’s Kill Hitler.

Lastly, when Amy and Rory catch him in the TARDIS after their wedding he says he was sorry he had to pop off for a bit because he was busy with something.

So, here it is: where did The Doctor go after fish fingers and custard? Was it the wedding? What was he doing when he popped off from their wedding? Where did the corsage go?  We know he had a balloon that was potentially from their wedding, was there something else from the wedding or Amelia’s house that was important?

So that is what it’s like in my head right now. You’re welcome.

Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 10:42:49 AM by Implode »

Offline adameastment

« Reply #1126 on: August 29, 2011, 11:03:31 AM »
Possibly The Most Important Thing in Let’s Kill Hitler

I’m just going to put this out there because I’m struggling with it. And it will probably be my focus for awhile, kind of like how something being wrong with Amy stuck with me the whole of part one.

The Doctor’s clothes are probably the most important thing in Let’s Kill Hitler. And I think we should keep an eye on them.

First, he starts out with a new coat. I don’t know the significance yet, but I have a feeling his new coat is going to be important. Where did he get it? Why was he wearing it at the start? It disappears later in the episode and he puts on his classic look at the end.

Second, no one seems to care that he just randomly appears in a tuxedo. This is connected to the computer Amelia Pond as well. We hear her say, “fish fingers and custard” to The Doctor. Although, it cannot be the computer that says it. The computer was insistent that it wasn’t Amelia Pond. Also, there isn’t any real way for the interface to make that emotional connection/memory. Lastly, we are conveniently not shown Amelia when it’s said.

So he hears this clue, it clearly has meaning to him. He gets up and goes somewhere in the TARDIS. Next thing we know, he appears in a tuxedo. You know where else he had a tuxedo? Amy and Rory’s wedding.

In Series 5, he is at the wedding and clearly has a red corsage on his chest. Then, it cuts to Amy’s house where The Doctor appears, still in tuxedo, but he is corsage-less. Although, you cans make out a safety pin on his chest. You can also make out the safety pin on his chest in Let’s Kill Hitler.

Lastly, when Amy and Rory catch him in the TARDIS after their wedding he says he was sorry he had to pop off for a bit because he was busy with something.

So, here it is: where did The Doctor go after fish fingers and custard? Was it the wedding? What was he doing when he popped off from their wedding? Where did the corsage go?  We know he had a balloon that was potentially from their wedding, was there something else from the wedding or Amelia’s house that was important?

So that is what it’s like in my head right now. You’re welcome.

Any thoughts?

Don't forget that they conceived Melody in the Tardis after their wedding night. Maybe it was to take the condoms off of Rory or something... :P

In all seriousness, there must be some significance to it. It's all a bit strange!

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1127 on: August 29, 2011, 11:05:02 AM »
I don't think the new brown coat has any significance whatsoever, but the tuxedo! That's very interesting. I've got the same feeling - totally sure we must find out about it later - and I like the idea that he went back to the wedding.

Offline adameastment

« Reply #1128 on: August 29, 2011, 11:09:17 AM »
I don't think the new brown coat has any significance whatsoever, but the tuxedo! That's very interesting. I've got the same feeling - totally sure we must find out about it later - and I like the idea that he went back to the wedding.
I think it does... It doesn't seem very doctor-esque, if I'm honest.

Wanna know something sad? I haven't got a television at University (which I leave for in 2 weeks), which means I won't be able to watch Doctor Who until it's released on iPlayer :'(

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1129 on: August 29, 2011, 11:16:12 AM »
And don't forget about the supposed wedding at the end of this season too!

Offline adameastment

« Reply #1130 on: August 29, 2011, 11:19:59 AM »
And don't forget about the supposed wedding at the end of this season too!
Maybe it has something to do with what he said to River?

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1131 on: August 29, 2011, 11:30:58 AM »

Wanna know something sad? I haven't got a television at University (which I leave for in 2 weeks), which means I won't be able to watch Doctor Who until it's released on iPlayer :'(
Welcome to my 2010/2011! It's not so bad. You can go to www.bbc.co.uk/bbcone/watchlive if it comes to it.

He got the coat because Matt Smith wanted a new coat for his second series. Simple as that! It's no more significant than David Tennant's blue suit.

Offline adameastment

« Reply #1132 on: August 29, 2011, 12:14:12 PM »

Welcome to my 2010/2011! It's not so bad. You can go to www.bbc.co.uk/bbcone/watchlive if it comes to it.

He got the coat because Matt Smith wanted a new coat for his second series. Simple as that! It's no more significant than David Tennant's blue suit.
But I'd like to think it had something to do with it ;)

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #1133 on: August 29, 2011, 12:24:43 PM »
The thing about the tuxedo is a very interesting theory. I really hope that we get some kind of elaboration on it (presumably in the final episode). I wouldn't be surprised if, for the Doctor, Rory and Amy's wedding had taken place after 6.8.

On an unrelated note... Do you think that we'll get a major cliffhanger for the series' finale? It strikes me as a bit unusual that the final two episodes don't make up a serial (most likely because SM has written five episdes, like RTD did from series 2-4) because it has been that way since new Doctor Who started.

Mentlegen.

Offline adameastment

« Reply #1134 on: August 29, 2011, 12:50:58 PM »
The thing about the tuxedo is a very interesting theory. I really hope that we get some kind of elaboration on it (presumably in the final episode). I wouldn't be surprised if, for the Doctor, Rory and Amy's wedding had taken place after 6.8.

On an unrelated note... Do you think that we'll get a major cliffhanger for the series' finale? It strikes me as a bit unusual that the final two episodes don't make up a serial (most likely because SM has written five episdes, like RTD did from series 2-4) because it has been that way since new Doctor Who started.

Only 5? I thought it was a double episode, couple of single episodes and the xmas episode?

I wants doctor who noooow :P

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #1135 on: August 29, 2011, 12:56:34 PM »
Yeah, I just was aiming at the "regular" series, leaving out all the specials.

Mentlegen.

Offline Logical Nightmare

• DTF.org Member
  • YAAAY! awww...
« Reply #1136 on: August 29, 2011, 01:27:17 PM »
Okay, so because of different reasons my Doctor Who watching was paused for a few weeks, but I'm back on track now. I've watched the entire series one plus two episodes of series two.

The change of the Doctor was weird at first, but that didn't last very long. And by this part, I was not only absolutely convinced but also laughing my ass off (and probably a little turned on. Hell yes I like it.)

NEED... TO WATCH... MORE...

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #1137 on: August 29, 2011, 01:58:33 PM »
Nobody's going to stop you. :laugh:

But I agree with you; when I watched the first episodes of the second series, it was weird to see David Tennant in the place of Christopher Eccleston, and I sometimes wished that he would have continued for another series. But by the third series, I couldn't imagine anyone else than Tennant being the Doctor; the scripts suited the Tenth Doctor's character, which was to about 90% developed then, very well.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 02:46:18 PM by tri.ad »

Mentlegen.

• DTF.org Member
  • YAAAY! awww...
« Reply #1138 on: August 29, 2011, 02:14:06 PM »
That's true, but my boyfriend is going to be very, very sad, because we're watching it together. Also, he doesn't quite approve of my fangirling.

Meanwhile, I'll be amusing myself with this. This is a true "watch this 100 times and you'll still laugh" clip for me. :lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFQApde77tU&NR=1

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1139 on: August 29, 2011, 02:17:52 PM »
^ Aaaah he's so damn cute!!

• DTF.org Member
  • YAAAY! awww...
« Reply #1140 on: August 29, 2011, 02:40:12 PM »
"Mmmmmh, he's slim. And a little bit foxy. :eyebrows: You thought so too. I've been inside your head. You've been looking... You lllike it."

Hmm, guilty.

Offline adameastment

« Reply #1141 on: August 29, 2011, 07:08:39 PM »
Nobody's going to stop you. :laugh:

But I agree with you; when I watched the first episodes of the second series, it was weird to see David Tennant in the place of Christopher Eccleston, and I sometimes wished that he would have continued for another series. But by the third series, I couldn't imagine anyone else than Tennant being the Doctor; the scripts suited the Tenth Doctor's character, which was to about 90% developed then, very well.
I do wish that Ecclestone had done another series, he is a fantastic actor and I really think he suited the role. Tennant was amazing too, so is Matt Smith

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1142 on: August 30, 2011, 02:27:24 AM »
Ooh, just occurred to me... River Song does not shoot the Doctor dead by the shores of Lake Silencio in 2011.

Very simple leap of logic, but when she's invited to the lake, she has no idea why, and when the young-Doctor comes out of the bathroom she presumes that it's a joke ("cold, even by your standards,") and asks if he knows who Jim the Fish is.

More specifically, it means that if she did do it, she doesn't remember. Which is possible - the astronaut was introduced in an episode where the villains were playing memory games. But it's a spanner.

Not that this is new news, it wouldn't make sense if it were her, anyway. The astronaut is in a space-suit, and we never get to see their face. If you think of it as a magic trick, why would you veil the identity of the killer, if not because you want their identity concealed? It'd be a bit like hiding a ball under one of three cups, tapping the top, and then revealing it to be under the same cup. You might as well get rid of the cups entirely if that's the plan, they're just vessels for disappointment.

Offline adameastment

« Reply #1143 on: August 30, 2011, 02:47:24 PM »
Ooh, just occurred to me... River Song does not shoot the Doctor dead by the shores of Lake Silencio in 2011.

Very simple leap of logic, but when she's invited to the lake, she has no idea why, and when the young-Doctor comes out of the bathroom she presumes that it's a joke ("cold, even by your standards,") and asks if he knows who Jim the Fish is.

More specifically, it means that if she did do it, she doesn't remember. Which is possible - the astronaut was introduced in an episode where the villains were playing memory games. But it's a spanner.

Not that this is new news, it wouldn't make sense if it were her, anyway. The astronaut is in a space-suit, and we never get to see their face. If you think of it as a magic trick, why would you veil the identity of the killer, if not because you want their identity concealed? It'd be a bit like hiding a ball under one of three cups, tapping the top, and then revealing it to be under the same cup. You might as well get rid of the cups entirely if that's the plan, they're just vessels for disappointment.

Which is why I think it's a big lure for the Doctor to make the Lady whats-her-face think she's won the war...

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #1144 on: August 31, 2011, 10:36:09 PM »
On episode 4 of series 3 of Torchwood.

Fan-fuckting-tastic.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
« Reply #1145 on: August 31, 2011, 10:41:04 PM »
On episode 4 of series 3 of Torchwood.

Fan-fuckting-tastic.

Yeah, Children of Earth really is brilliant.
I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1146 on: August 31, 2011, 10:48:23 PM »
The first time "we are coming" came up I just about shit myself.

edit: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 11:23:11 PM by Sigz »

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1147 on: September 01, 2011, 12:24:41 AM »
Also, which series should I go to after this?

Offline ACID_FOX

« Reply #1148 on: September 01, 2011, 02:36:03 AM »
What do you mean? The only other Torchwood series since Children of Earth is Miracle Day, which is running now.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1149 on: September 01, 2011, 03:26:06 AM »
edit: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
I KNOOOOOOOW!!  :(

Also, which series should I go to after this?
Presuming you kicked off with CoE, you basically know how fantastic it gets, so I'd kick off with series 1. It gets pretty damned embarrassing in places, though (thanks, Chris Chibnall), so if you're getting a bit too cringed out, feel free to skip through to series 2, or at least to episode 7. S1E1 is fantastic, but episodes 2 and 4 are just execrable.

S1 is like Doctor Who written by a horny teenager, S2 is like Doctor Who written by Joss Whedon with a horny teenager script-editing, and Children of Earth is when Torchwood becomes its own show, and is absolutely fantastic. Miracle Day has more in common with Children of Earth than series 2, but it's a sort of hybrid of both, with its own quality-level and voice that lies somewhere between the two. Not quite as good as Children of Earth, but then what is? There are only two episodes left of Miracle Day, which is broadcasting now, so I reckon you could catch up in time for the finale.

Offline adameastment

« Reply #1150 on: September 01, 2011, 07:32:07 PM »
What did you all think of the episode of Torchwood? :)

Offline ACID_FOX

« Reply #1151 on: September 01, 2011, 09:09:45 PM »
All I can say is, the next two episodes better be fucking dynamite.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1152 on: September 01, 2011, 09:30:42 PM »

So according to the time on the invitations The Doctor sent out in The Impossible Astronaut, they were all to meet at Lake Silencio at 4:30pm. According to the Tesselector, The Doctor dies at 5:02pm, which is exactly 32 minutes later.

"You will be dead in 32 minutes"

Amelia Pond Voice Interface - Let’s Kill Hitler

32 minutes, as we know, is the exact amount of time it takes the poison administered to The Doctor by Melody/River to kill him. Coincidence? Never ignore a coincidence, unless you’re busy, in which case always ignore a coincidence. Luckily I’m not busy.

There was clearly more than one Doctor at play in LKH, what with the apparent costume changes (Long coat/Tuxedo/Regular outfit) and odd behaviour, even by The Doctor’s standards.

Thoughts?

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1153 on: September 01, 2011, 09:37:42 PM »

Offline Bonham

• Either Zeppelin's drummer or "good ham"
« Reply #1154 on: September 01, 2011, 10:54:49 PM »
I have 100% percent confidence that the rest of this season will be an absolute mind fuck.
In the best possible way of course.