114 (56.2%)
Lie
38 (18.7%)
Like them both equally
46 (22.7%)
Hate them both equally
5 (2.5%)

Total Members Voted: 198

Author Topic: The Mirror vs Lie  (Read 9604 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
The Mirror vs Lie
« on: November 02, 2009, 08:16:46 PM »
From the discussion in the other thread, it seems there are quite a few people who prefer Lie to The Mirror, which I find interesting. I'm just wondering how many people agree with it, because I've always thought Lie was fairly meh and that The Mirror was the obvious choice.

So I'm going with the Mirror. I don't hate Lie, but I do find it a little dull, and I'm not a fan of the lyrics. I have no problems with The Mirror though. Much better use of the 7 string guitar, powerful vocals, better instrumental sections.

So maybe this will be a landslide like I would have expected, but maybe not.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Mirror vs Lie
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 08:19:49 PM »
Lie. I like The Mirror, but it's still a lot lower down for me. It could use some more variation within the song. On my list, I rank Lie at 27th and The Mirror at 58th.
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline ehra

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 08:20:59 PM »
Like I said in the other thread, I prefer Lie but The Mirror still kicks my ass from time to time.

I also love the little SDV excerpt near the end, especially live.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009, 08:21:46 PM »
I like them both equally. The Mirror has that awesome chugging riff and the SDV theme partway through. Lie has some great riffing though I'm not hot on the lyrics. The solo is great though.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2009, 08:24:06 PM »
The Mirror, but the songs are definitely better as a whole when played back to back.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2009, 08:40:14 PM »
I like them both equally. The Mirror has that awesome chugging riff and the SDV theme partway through. Lie has some great riffing though I'm not hot on the lyrics. The solo is great though.

So I'm not the only one? I'm not a fan of the vocal delivery either, mainly the first verse. I know it's the intended sound, but it sounds a bit too loose for my liking. I don't think much of the riffing either. The soloing is really the highpoint of the song for me. As I already said though, I don't think it's a terrible song, just mostly bland, and I much prefer The Mirror.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2009, 08:41:50 PM »
I love Lie, but The Mirror is just a tad better. I'd say one is top 25, the other is top 20.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2009, 08:44:40 PM »
Like them both equally.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2009, 08:51:21 PM »
The Mirror! Awesome song, big riffs, lots of emotion and I like the lyrics too. :metal

Online axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2009, 08:52:00 PM »
Lie is good, The Mirror is better
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2009, 09:09:38 PM »
Neither are top ten or even top 20 DT songs for me, but in my opinion, Lie is a poppy, anti-climatic conclusion to an awesome song like The Mirror. Not to mention it has horrible lyrics, probably the worst lyrics in DT history.

Mother Mary quite contrary
Kiss the boys and make them wary
Things are getting just a little bit scary
It's a wonder I can still breathe

Sounds like some crap from a bad musical.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2009, 09:26:13 PM »
Neither are top ten or even top 20 DT songs for me, but in my opinion, Lie is a poppy, anti-climatic conclusion to an awesome song like The Mirror. Not to mention it has horrible lyrics, probably the worst lyrics in DT history.

Wait, I thought you hated the Mirror.

Calling them "worst lyrics in DT history" is a little bit harsh, imo.  Worst lyrics in Kevin Moore's history? Yes.  But before you, no one dared to compare them to other terrible lyrics in DT's discography.  I mean seriously, worse than Never Enough, TALW, TDEN?

At least it's not: 

Your town, I'm all alone
and I just can't stare at the phone
I wanna talk about lifelong mistakes
and you can tell your Dark Master I said so
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Dcrupi

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2009, 09:26:40 PM »

Let me introduce my brother
Bearded gentleman, historian
Sucking on his pipe, distinguished accent
Making me uptight, no accident.

I want to stay alive
Everything about this place doesn't feel right.
I, I don't want to die
Suddenly I'm frightened for my life

Yeah, because these are so much better.  Or ANTR "It's a blessing no one died, by the grace of God above, everyone survived, ROOOOORORORORORO"

Personally, I love Lie.  The solo at the end is NUTS, I absolutely love it.  I happen to really like the lyrics...the opening ones I find especially neat:

Daybreak at the bottom of a lake,
It's a hundred degrees, I can't breathe.
And I won't get out 'til I figure it out
Though I'm weak like I can't believe

Mirror is boring IMO, although I do like the SDV reference in there, considering that's the closest we'll ever get to hearing it live.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2009, 09:30:33 PM »
Love The Mirror. Lie is only meh. Aside from Jordan's widdling away, the version of The Mirror (with The Mirror reprise immediately following) on LSFNY is the way I like The Mirror best.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2009, 09:36:50 PM »

Key word is hated. I've grown quite fond of the Mirror in the past month or so, while I can't say my opinion of Lie has changed.

Tuscany, TDEN, INTPOE and CM beat out Lie in terms of lyrics for me simply by virtue of their non-pretentiousness. Panic Attack has awesome lyrics- my friend who actually has Panic Attacks has told me that the whole thing is extremely accurate as far as describing what having an PA really is like. I kinda of like TALW for what it is. NE? I'd say Lie is about equal with NE, but NE doesn't have any parts that make me chuckle.

In short, the fantasy songs are so bad they're good. Lie, for me, is so bad it's bad.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2009, 09:37:19 PM »
The Mirror is amazing.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Blind_FaithX

• I love music
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2009, 09:39:00 PM »
Mirror
Funny how everything was Roses
When we held on to the Guns
Just because you're winnin'
Don't mean you're the lucky one

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2009, 09:41:48 PM »

Calling them "worst lyrics in DT history" is a little bit harsh, imo.  Worst lyrics in Kevin Moore's history? Yes.  But before you, no one dared to compare them to other terrible lyrics in DT's discography.  I mean seriously, worse than Never Enough, TALW, TDEN?

At least it's not: 

Your town, I'm all alone
and I just can't stare at the phone
I wanna talk about lifelong mistakes
and you can tell your Dark Master I said so

I'm definitely with Perpetual Change here. They're definitely among DT's worst lyrics. The other songs you mentioned don't have bad lyrics, and far from terrible, and they fit the songs perfectly. But The Mother Mary stuff sounds really silly over the heaviness of the song.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2009, 09:53:34 PM »
Tuscany, TDEN, INTPOE and CM beat out Lie in terms of lyrics for me simply by virtue of their non-pretentiousness.

I must be missing the pretentiousness. I see a lot of things wrong with them but not that.

And Blob you've got to at least admit TALW has some bad lyrics in a cliche way. Maybe bland is a better word.

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
  • You're just another hero riding through the night
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2009, 09:57:57 PM »
Both really cool. I prefer the Mirror, but it's not like their mutually exclusive, in fact they seem to be mutually inclusive! (if that is a real phrase). But anyway, I like em both  :)
on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2009, 09:59:21 PM »
lie is one of the few songs that I don't care for, but still listen to and enjoy, but in comparison with other DT

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2009, 10:07:23 PM »
So I'm not the only one? I'm not a fan of the vocal delivery either, mainly the first verse. I know it's the intended sound, but it sounds a bit too loose for my liking. I don't think much of the riffing either. The soloing is really the highpoint of the song for me. As I already said though, I don't think it's a terrible song, just mostly bland, and I much prefer The Mirror.
Exactly this

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2009, 10:10:38 PM »
Tuscany, TDEN, INTPOE and CM beat out Lie in terms of lyrics for me simply by virtue of their non-pretentiousness.

I must be missing the pretentiousness. I see a lot of things wrong with them but not that.

And Blob you've got to at least admit TALW has some bad lyrics in a cliche way. Maybe bland is a better word.

They don't make sense. They're written from a holier that thou perspective and while the last section sounds cool, I can't possibly be understand how anyone but KM could know what they're about.

Offline j

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2009, 10:11:41 PM »

This to the letter.

-J

Offline ehra

« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2009, 10:19:56 PM »

They don't make sense. They're written from a holier that thou perspective and while the last section sounds cool, I can't possibly be understand how anyone but KM could know what they're about.

MP and KM seem to have the most tension between each other. MP also has a stepfather.

COINCIDENCE?!

Yes.

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2009, 10:20:17 PM »
I love the Mirror. I wouldnīt mind if Lie didnīt exist at all.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2009, 10:20:36 PM »

MP and KM seem to be the two that have the most tension between the two. MP also has a stepfather.

COINCIDENCE?!

Yes.

:lol

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2009, 10:21:48 PM »
Lie kicks ass.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2009, 10:28:01 PM »
Lie is okay.

The Mirror  :metal
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2009, 11:01:12 PM »

I'll definitely agree to cliche and bland. To me that doesn't make them bad though, just uninspired. But considering it's a fairly basic song anyway, it doesn't draw attention to itself. There's a difference between bland and bad though. Bland I can take. :p

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2009, 12:11:05 AM »
The Mirror. I love that 'puppies' riff, and the song as a whole is better than Lie.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2009, 12:14:00 AM »
I think compared to the other works of Kevin, Lie falls flat. It still has some charm, but overall it isn't that great. Lyrics like Surrounded and Only A Matter of Time are brilliantly crafted, and its a shame he didn't take the same approach with Lie.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2009, 12:57:50 AM »
Lie, by miles. I've just always found it far more interesting, and it's so Dream Theatery I always assumed it was pretty popular so was pretty surprised to see how many people don't like it.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2009, 02:09:40 AM »
The Mirror. I like the music in Lie but the lyrics let it down.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2009, 05:05:21 AM »
I voted The Mirror, but the preference is very, very slight.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.