Author Topic: [Music] Thrice - Beggars  (Read 5013 times)

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
  • I probably don't like you
[Music] Thrice - Beggars
« on: November 02, 2009, 07:38:14 PM »
Artist: Thrice
Album: Beggars
Genre: Alt-rock, experimental rock
Release: 2009

Thrice has a very odd energy surrounding them. On one hand, their albums tend to be all over the map; ranging from hardcore rock, to contemplative art rock, to acoustic ballads. On the other hand, you have a fan-base who not only respects the band greatly, but consistently enjoys all of their releases, regardless of what style they focus on. Beggars, Thrice's new album, falls into another genre that, while not new for the band, hasn't been explored thoroughly.

Since the release of Vheissu, or even The Artist in the Ambulance, Thrice has been shifting their artistic direction substantially. Their first two albums focused near-exclusively on hardcore/screamo style of rock, with very few softer pieces. The Artist in the Ambulance blended some more listener-friendly songs to mix with their harsher roots. Vheissu expanded even more, and the louder side of Thrice began to bury itself under a softer and and more diverse blend of rock. The Alchemy Index, of course, was a chance to expand all of Thrice's styles into individual discs, and became almost a look back at Thrice's evolution. Beggars takes the next step in Thrice's musical journey. The discs of Air and Earth seem to be the main vantage points taken to inspire Beggars. There is little in the way of heavy Fire-based songs, and almost no electronic Water-based ones either.

The album kicks into All The World is Mad immediately. It's a decent opener, fairly catchy and representative of what you'll be hearing on the rest of the CD. The Weight follows, which reminiscent of Vheissu's soft verse/heavy chorus. Kensrue's delivery is interesting, almost cheerful, though the chorus's are full of his trademark room-filling screams. While The Weight is good on its own, it lacks the energy that it paramount at the beginning of an album. While the first track was decent, The Weight drags it's weight, and listeners feel the energy dip.

The album slows down even more with Circles. The song is actually quite good, with Teppei experimenting with guitar effects as the song goes. While the gradual buildup in Circles helps regain momentum, it takes the entire track to get into it. What it does do is introduce us to the real style here; a softer, more comtemplative Thrice. One expecting a sleepier-sounding album would be correct, and it does take several listens for many of the songs to grow on you. Doublespeak is where the album really starts to get going. While it reminds me of Digging My Own Grave from Earth, it is far more upbeat and a great remedy for the lack of energy at the beginning of the album. From here on, the album drops and gains energy in all the right places. Doublespeak is the key song on the album as the shift of momentum can be attributed to how good it is. And it is really good. While parts of it feel reminiscent of things Thrice have composed in the past, it has a sort of sound that Thrice hasn't touched on before.

The albums settles nicely in the middle with a set of great songs. In Exile is Kensrue's shining moment on the cd, belting out verses and choruses until the very end, where he soulfully sings his lonely harmony that is played throughout the song. Fans of Vheissu's The Earth Will Shake will appreciate that moment. At The Last is nod back to the upbeat days of The Artist, and has some great guitar work by Teranishi. Wood and Wire is another shining moment for Kensrue, not necessarily in the singing, but in the songwriting. Wood and Wire is among Thrice's greatest songs, simply due to its incredible lyrics and their earnest delivery. Beggars is all about the message Kensrue is trying to send to everyone. Be it a social commentary like All The World is Mad, a song of hope like Wood and Wire, or the fact that we are all on this planet together, for whatever reason we believe, and that everything is a gift, the message the title track sends. While the messages Kensrue tries to deliver are not all nice, they are earnest and masterfully crafted.

Talking Through Glass is weak spot on the second half. It's reminiscent of their much older work, the short and fast songs that spanned the first three albums. This may sound good to many fans, but trust me, after hearing the style Beggars puts forth, the older style feels out of place, and rather unwelcome here. The Great Exchange brings back the more solemn style with a story of a man out on the ocean who helps his enemy when their ship goes down. It features a beautiful chorus, and is a joy to sing along to (much like the sea-faring tale of The Whaler from Water). Beggars is the final track and the final highlight of the album. Like Circles and Wood and Wire, Beggars is a slower, softer song. Unlike Circles, Beggars has the advantage of being at the end of the album and therefore the momentum is not at risk. Beggars is one last exhale before the album rests. The message is clear: we are beggars all.

Beggars will seem odd to those who expected anything ordinary. Beggars is anything but expected. It is a direction hinted at during moments of Vheissu and The Alchemy Index, and continues the sleepier feel of those albums with some of Kensrue's greatest lyrics and vocal performances. Beggars is raw, and sounds as though it was recorded in a wooden room miles away from any trace of civilization. It is lonely feeling album, full of soulful sounding performances from all members. Teranishi and the rest of the band play backseat to Kensrue, as he takes over the sound as if it was a solo project. This is not a complaint, however. After the incredible, yet unfocused effort of The Alchemy Index, Beggars is settled, solemn album. Few of the songs are weak, and while the album takes several songs to really kick into full gear, the result is a mature album by a band that can only go up from here.

Standouts:
Doublespeak - Very catchy, and something Thrice has never done before. Momentum starts here.
In Exile - Kensrue's greatest singing moment. Close your eyes and let it take you away.
Wood and Wire - A beautiful story of hope. Some of Kensrue's greatest lyrics.
The Great Exchange - While short, it matches songs like The Whaler in their earnest delivery. The sad vocal line compliments the goodness of the story.
Beggars - Sums up the message clearly: we are beggars all. Easily likeable, and one final sleepy song before the album ends.

Burnout
The Weight - I do like this song quite a bit, but its placement as the second track means the listener relies on it's energy it will bring. The Weight has none.
Circles - Same reason. Poor placement. On its own it is quite nice, though.
Talking Through Glass - An out of place song. Mostly forgettable, and surrounded by greater songs makes this skippable.

Checkouts
All The World Is Mad - A bit forgettable. A fine song, but there are far greater ones.
At The Last - Also, a fine song, but there are better ones. Great guitar work by Teranishi.

8.5/10
NEW REVIEW: Lady Gaga - Born This Way
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=25343.0

Setra, I think that is the best statement I have read on this forum.  Very well said.

Offline Gwii

• DTF Zelda Avatar Club
  • DT.net Member
  • There's so much more to see in the darkest places
Re: [Music] Thrice - Beggars
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 09:41:30 PM »
Nice review  :tup

I think The Weight might be my favorite song from this CD though.  There's just something about it.  I need to give the second half of the album some more listens though.
My Soundclick Page

I can just sense Gwii hiding in the bushes with a knife between his teeth.

Offline Space Invader

• The Canadian Doctor Who Fanatic
  • DTF.org Member
  • Also recently addicted to Survivor
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 08:22:58 AM »
Nice review!
I still think I like the AI better though. A more complete feeling to it all.
But still, Beggars is excellent, and the next Thrice should kick more ass than I care to describe.
Everything can, should and will be progressive.

"The only thing that is certain is that nothing is certain" - Montaigne.

I'm going to need a SWAT team ready to mobilize, street over maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammie Dodgers and a Fez - Eleventh Doctor

Offline ZachyDou

• Keyboard wizard in training
  • "Haha... Yeah..."
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 01:36:02 PM »
Good review, though I dont agree with a lot of point.
The Weight has IMO one the catchiest and energetic chruses of the album. I see it as a step up from All The World Is Mad, which would mean for me Circles is the perfect song to slow things down.
In fact, I love the first three songs as a whole better than any other part of the album. But hey, thats just me.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2009, 11:15:13 AM »
I love Circles, why you hatin'? The instrumental break at the end may be my favorite on the album (close with the Beggars outro and All The World Is Mad's little acoustic break)...
Also, All The World Is Mad is one of the best album openers I've ever heard, and the choruses are awesome... why you hate? Also, I like the contrast thing they tried on The Weight, I think it works really well. Talking Through Glass probably would've fit better right after The Great Exchange IMO... We Move Like Swingsets would be the perfect transition into Beggars.
Anyways yes buy this album it's amazing and all. Thrice is one of my favorite bands at this point, their last 3 albums (only ones I own) have all been stellar.

Offline ZachyDou

• Keyboard wizard in training
  • "Haha... Yeah..."
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009, 11:21:54 AM »
I agree. The end of Circles is one of the best moment of the whole album.

The contrast between the verses and chorus of The Weight is a lot like Broken Lungs, and i think it works amazingly.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2009, 12:04:26 PM »
Man, good review. I have yet to hear it, but from what one of my real life friends told me, I will love what you're not liking so much, and end up enjoying the whole album.

I'll probably buy it in a few weeks.

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2009, 04:56:04 PM »
Yeah, I'm beginning to change my mind about The Weight and Circles. I'm still not crazy about Talking Through Glass, but I think the other two have moved up a bit for me.
The Great Exchange is by far the best song Thrice has ever done, imo.

Setra, I think that is the best statement I have read on this forum.  Very well said.

Offline shadowfex

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 04:38:36 AM »
Wow, please edit your review so that 'the weight' and 'circles' are not listed as burnouts. These are amazing songs and this is an amazing album. I only purchased it a couple of weeks ago, had I purchased it earlier I would have had it in the top 5 albums of 2009 definetely.

Also, the review is very well written and I agree with your glowing comments about doublespeak and the great exchange.
"Once he had forests and mountains that were only his - listening to him. Once he would run through the summer days catching memories for ages to come. Now he is dressing this naked floor with his flesh and blood, and time passes by. His trade of pain might just have lead him to deal with consequence for some change as time passes by"

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2010, 09:56:36 AM »
I dont intend to edit my review, as that just looks lame.
But if anyone is curious on an update on my Beggars feelings:
This is my favourite Thrice album, the only song I now consider a burnout is Talking Through Glass. I really like The Weight a lot and would put it as a standout, and Circles is also good and I now consider it a checkout.
It was my #1 release for 2009. More people need this album.

I would consider my opinion on the album these days to be a 9.5/10

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2010, 11:12:24 PM »
The Great Exchange is the only song I'm not crazy about, Talking Through Glass is amazing.

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2010, 11:13:59 PM »
The Great Exchange is the only song I'm not crazy about, Talking Through Glass is amazing.

Complete opposite for me.
The Great Exchange is the greatest song I've ever heard.

Offline Gwii

• DTF Zelda Avatar Club
  • DT.net Member
  • There's so much more to see in the darkest places
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2010, 04:36:19 PM »
Talking Through Glass is amazing.

This

The whole album is amazing though.  Not a bad song on it.
My Soundclick Page

I can just sense Gwii hiding in the bushes with a knife between his teeth.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2010, 07:39:06 PM »
Agreed, the album is top 3 for 2009.