Author Topic: Arjen Lucassen's Star One (merged)  (Read 13857 times)

Offline kala1928

Re: Arjen Lucassen's Star One (merged)
« Reply #70 on: October 27, 2010, 06:28:52 AM »
Am I the only one that was a little disappointed with 011100100? (whatever it is)

Definitely not.. couple of really strong songs in there (beneath the waves) but mostly not that great.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #71 on: October 27, 2010, 06:36:22 AM »
Am I the only one that was a little disappointed with 011100100? (whatever it is)

Definitely not.. couple of really strong songs in there (beneath the waves) but mostly not that great.

I didn't like it at all actually. And I still can't figure out why. This new Star One record sounds badass though.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #72 on: October 27, 2010, 06:42:15 AM »
I like 01 a lot, to me it has some similarities to Electirc Castle but the music is more interesting. E=mc2 was an abomination though. :lol

I can totally understand people not liking Arjen's lyrics, they're cheesy and silly, but I enjoy them because they're fun. What I can't understand is people who only complain about his recent lyrics, as though he used to be all profound and poetic.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline EstyMaJ

« Reply #73 on: October 27, 2010, 06:44:28 AM »
I didn't like it at all actually. And I still can't figure out why. This new Star One record sounds badass though.  
Posted on: Today at 07:28:52 AMPosted by: kala1928  

Im on listen # 2 of the new star one so far i like all but the last track but that could change  

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #74 on: October 27, 2010, 10:09:42 AM »
Just got through my first listen, and since I'm at work it didn't get my full attention, but I think I can safely say its better than the first album, but it's not a 10/10 album like Nick reports in his review.  Only one song really "popped" for me (don't know which one, iPod was in my pocket), but whatever the weak point is on this album its definately better than some of the weaker songs on "Space Metal".  Solid AAL work.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #75 on: October 27, 2010, 10:25:08 AM »
Didn't make it through the whole album yet, but it didn't really interest me too much. The production was really bothering me too. Of course, that could change. I'm afraid I over hyped this album for myself.

Offline EstyMaJ

« Reply #76 on: October 27, 2010, 11:36:56 AM »
Didn't make it through the whole album yet, but it didn't really interest me too much. The production was really bothering me too. Of course, that could change. I'm afraid I over hyped this album for myself.

What bothers you about the production ? I thought it sounded very good i hear everything very well and doesn't sound all compresed to me at all , i did however notice that the bass player isn't standing out as much as i like not as pronounced as in the last album ?
one thing i noticed i liked is i actually hear the highhat and cymbls real crisp unlike most recordings now
Im just asking , not giveing you crap

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #77 on: October 27, 2010, 11:40:38 AM »
Compared to the first album, the singers sound drowned out by the music.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: October 27, 2010, 02:49:52 PM »
Man, from what I've listened to, Damian Wilson sounds fucking amazing.  Such an underrated singer.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #79 on: October 27, 2010, 06:51:41 PM »
Man, from what I've listened to, Damian Wilson sounds fucking amazing.  Such an underrated singer.

His vocals on '24 Hours' are pure gold. Russell Allen is being his usual self (vocal god), but Wilson steals the show.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: October 28, 2010, 05:23:14 AM »

His vocals on '24 Hours' are pure gold. Russell Allen is being his usual self (vocal god), but Wilson steals the show.

The last verse is one of the best things I've ever heard.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline EstyMaJ

« Reply #81 on: October 28, 2010, 09:05:47 AM »

Not a great album over all but i do like it , the most i like about it is Jonas Renkse vocals , very haunting ,   and also really like Magali Luyten voice in this album but much like floor jansen i like her work with arjen more then there own bands

So is Katatonia's  newer stuff worth checking out , i didn't like there older stuff im listening to some samples now of there last 3 albums 
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 10:02:43 AM by EstyMaJ »

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #82 on: October 28, 2010, 11:37:13 AM »
Their latest album is really good, and Jonas' voice is lovely.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #83 on: November 01, 2010, 06:58:17 AM »
Im on my third listen through......I dunno.....Im not feeling the hot sunny love up my ass that I was hoping for. It's barely getting the "just ok" from me. And I'm a big fan of alot of these artists.

meh ~ so far
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: November 01, 2010, 08:27:33 AM »
I think the album is "just OK." It's better than the last two, but there's absolutely nothing on here that you can't find on the original Star One, or either Migrator disc. I would have rather seen Arjen take the style he's been writing with his latest projects and fully develop it rather than take a huge step back like this... though I suppose it's good. I just can't get excited about it.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #85 on: November 01, 2010, 09:45:27 AM »
Well, you certainly can't find songs like 24 Hours, Earth that Was and Human See, Human die on the other albums.
Yes, it is kinda more of the same but it's also hugely improved and refined. And quite frankly, I don't think I would have liked it any other way.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #86 on: November 01, 2010, 12:56:40 PM »
Dude, it's Human See, Human Do. GOSH! :neverusethis:

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #87 on: November 01, 2010, 01:04:06 PM »
Wow... I've read it as "Die" ever since the song titles were revealed. I feel stupider than usual :D

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #88 on: December 01, 2010, 07:29:59 PM »
This album didn't do too much for me on the first listen. I'm not sure what was wrong with me. The vocals are amazing, and the riffs (Earth That Was especially) are sick.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #89 on: December 03, 2010, 09:31:21 AM »
This album didn't do too much for me on the first listen. I'm not sure what was wrong with me. The vocals are amazing, and the riffs (Earth That Was especially) are sick.

Actually, that sums up almost all Lucassen projects to me. Great vocals, sick riffs ... and in the end doesn't do much for me.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #90 on: December 03, 2010, 10:40:54 AM »
It's probably the massive amount of cheese that holds it all together.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline TimmyHiggy

• Not the droid you are looking for
  • Maybe its just another drill?
« Reply #91 on: December 06, 2010, 12:19:28 PM »
Just discovered "victims of the modern age" has made it onto facebook [EDIT:  :facepalm:] spotify
listening now, such awesome proggy heavy music. Such good singers too.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 12:58:45 PM by TimmyHiggy »
i heard if you put bread in the rooof of your mouth it means oyu don't cvry when you're shoocppig ononsosni.
<br />/I vea aben told buy   spletn spencer adn timhiggy and that zletar guy to potost gcase imm drunk for the fist imeiiiiiiiiiiiii eoand evryoen ois mkaking funof eme :O(<br />
<br />

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #92 on: December 06, 2010, 12:46:59 PM »
By facebook, surely you mean spotify?

I be am boner inducing.

Offline TimmyHiggy

« Reply #93 on: December 06, 2010, 12:59:28 PM »
Fixed.
Man, I feel like a cretin.
i heard if you put bread in the rooof of your mouth it means oyu don't cvry when you're shoocppig ononsosni.
<br />/I vea aben told buy   spletn spencer adn timhiggy and that zletar guy to potost gcase imm drunk for the fist imeiiiiiiiiiiiii eoand evryoen ois mkaking funof eme :O(<br />
<br />

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #94 on: December 10, 2010, 01:24:44 PM »
It's probably the massive amount of cheese that holds it all together.

:yeahright

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #95 on: December 10, 2010, 05:18:33 PM »
I just bought the album today. Not overwhelmed by it, but I'm not really into this type of prog metal at the moment. I'm sure I'll learn to appreciate it a bit more in the future.

Offline The Dark Master

• Veteran of the Psychic Wars
« Reply #96 on: December 15, 2010, 05:47:40 PM »
I've been waiting for this ever since I bought the first album back in 2002.  There was something about Space Metal that was really magical, and I have a special place in my heart for that album.  After 8 years of waiting, I can't really say I'm disappointed in the new one, but Space Metal was noticeably better.  I was afraid that this might be the case, given how off-the-cuff Space Metal came together, and that a second album would feel more calculated.  With that said though, Victims of the Modern Age is still a fantastic album with several stand out tracks, especially Earth That Was, the title cut, and Human See Human Do.  I love the album a lot and I really don't want to sound like I am putting it down, since I really dig the 70's Hawkwind meets Deep Purple style of Star One, but that first album to me is on a level so few bands can ever dream of reaching.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #97 on: December 15, 2010, 06:26:34 PM »
First album is definately better, but I really dig Victims. I'm glad Arjen did another Star One. The album didn't exactly disappoint, but the songs aren't as memorable as those on the first album. That said, the guitar sound on the new one is SICK. Dig the production very much. I'm really into 70's sounding, uncompressed stuff now, but for the style, the production is just very fitting.

Kinda in the AAL mood. Gonna check out 'Flight of the Migrator' again. 'To the Quasar'  :metal.

And back to the 'Eye of Ra'. I used to dig this cheesy sutff, and turns out: I still do. Russell's verses are freakin' great!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 06:39:27 PM by PixelDream »

Offline TimmyHiggy

« Reply #98 on: December 16, 2010, 05:27:12 PM »
i feel that allen's vocals were used much better on the first album
<br />

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #99 on: December 16, 2010, 05:48:25 PM »
24 Hours and Digital Rain beg to differ.

Offline TimmyHiggy

« Reply #100 on: December 16, 2010, 06:22:59 PM »
But they are still nothing on his parts in eye of ra or intergalactic space crusaders imo
<br />

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #101 on: December 16, 2010, 08:24:28 PM »
He has parts in Eye of Ra? I can barely remember him there. While both the songs you mentioned are awesome, for me it's mainly not because of his performance there but the music in general as well as the parts of the other singers.

Offline TimmyHiggy

« Reply #102 on: December 17, 2010, 04:37:14 PM »
you tellin me you cant remember
"a daaaark shiip descends from the sky-ey
lasers fire and many man diee"

hes just more savage on space metal
<br />

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #103 on: December 17, 2010, 05:50:58 PM »
No, I remember it but that's nothing spectacular (by Russell Allen standards of course).  Imo, his parts in Dital Rain shortly after the 5th minute mark shit all over the parts you mentioned. Much more "savage" and also ridiculously high and powerful. And of course, there's the ending of the song too. To each his own, I guess :)

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #104 on: December 17, 2010, 06:37:03 PM »
I have to agree with Timmy. I mean, the performances of all the singers are top notch on Victims, but I think maybe it's the way the album is produced that puts the vocals less in the forefront, so it doesn't sound quite as incredible to me.

I be am boner inducing.