General > General Music Discussion

Arjen Lucassen's Star One (merged)

(1/22) > >>

PixelDream:
Yeah, just gave it a spin after not thinking about it for like three years. I forgot how FREAKING amazing it was!

I'm talking about the album 'Space Metal' by Star One. In essence it's a concept album about Space, and it's inspired by films like 2001: A Space Odyssey and Star Wars. Musically it comes pretty close to 'The Flight of the Migrator', the heavier part of the 'Universal Migrator' double album. Personally I think this album slays it.

For those of you familiar with Ayreon, be sure to check this out. The style is more metal than Ayreon but with a big Deep Purple influence (especially in the organs department).

I think this gets overlooked often, simply because it doesn't carry the Ayreon name on it. Just look at the cast of singers:

Russell God Allen
Dan Swano
Damian Wilson
Floor Jansen

A bit of a small cast compared to Ayreon's rock opera's, but damn, these singers complement eachother so well. But in the end, Russell Allen steals the show here. I think I like his singing here better than almost everything he did with Symphony X (check out the tracks Eye of Ra and Starchild).

Anyway, I think this album is at least better than the last Ayreon record (the production too - it sounds powerful, deep, and clear) and it has kickass singers, groovy metal riffs, and GOOD choruses!

I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for a new Star One record.

Adami:
It's ok. The production is rather weak.

But Star One live is incredible.

ariich:
I like this album a lot, when I'm in the right mood. If I want something more serious then it's horribly tacky, but when I want to listen to something really fun and entertaining, this album totally fits the bill, and the singing is awesome throughout.

Grappler:
I fucking love this disc.  The sci-fi movie theme is a lot of fun, and the singers just kill, especially Dan Swano.  Love his vocals on this - I don't think he's ever sang that low before.  It's the album that got me into Dan's music.

The Star One: Live on Earth dvd is awesome as well.  Lots of Ayreon tunes, plus some great live performances from everyone except for Dan (one of the Ayreon regulars took his spot on the tour).

PixelDream:

--- Quote from: Grappler on May 11, 2009, 01:30:15 PM ---I fucking love this disc.  The sci-fi movie theme is a lot of fun, and the singers just kill, especially Dan Swano.  Love his vocals on this - I don't think he's ever sang that low before.  It's the album that got me into Dan's music.

The Star One: Live on Earth dvd is awesome as well.  Lots of Ayreon tunes, plus some great live performances from everyone except for Dan (one of the Ayreon regulars took his spot on the tour).

--- End quote ---

I agree, Dan's low vocals are sick on this album. He provides an incredible low end to the vocal harmonies at the end of The Eye of Ra.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version