Author Topic: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread  (Read 539534 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Re: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread
« Reply #385 on: May 12, 2011, 03:16:35 PM »
Finished up an interview with Neal about a half hour ago, looking forward to sharing it with everyone soon. ;)
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline unklejman

« Reply #386 on: May 12, 2011, 04:18:00 PM »
Finished up an interview with Neal about a half hour ago, looking forward to sharing it with everyone soon. ;)

Cool, when do you think you will have it up?

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #387 on: May 13, 2011, 12:46:19 AM »
This came in the mail today, reminding me why I should pre-order albums when I'm sober:

j/k

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #388 on: May 13, 2011, 01:12:31 AM »
 :rollin

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Durg

• Evil Java Genius & Horder of Open Source Software
« Reply #390 on: May 13, 2011, 11:09:25 AM »
 :rollin

Check it out and let us know if it's any good.  ;D
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #391 on: May 13, 2011, 12:02:24 PM »

Cool, when do you think you will have it up?

That's what a lady friend of mine once uttered.

But also: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=23090.0
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #392 on: May 13, 2011, 12:49:11 PM »
...To which you replied, "But, baby, it already is up."
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #393 on: May 13, 2011, 12:49:39 PM »
Oh snap! :rollin

Offline unklejman

« Reply #394 on: May 13, 2011, 01:53:23 PM »

That's what a lady friend of mine once uttered.

But also: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=23090.0

Hah. Thanks, I found it a little while after I posted that.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #395 on: May 14, 2011, 10:44:29 AM »
less than 9 days til T2 comes out! (I didnt pre-order)

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #396 on: May 14, 2011, 11:02:15 AM »
less than 9 days til T2 comes out! (I didnt pre-order)

Indeed! And I cannot wait to see if I get my pre-order that Monday or Tuesday so I can start my "summer reading" with Neal's book! Also, the Making Of DVD should be pretty awesome and actually, if you think about it, it's Mike's first recording sessions after leaving DT, so it'll be interesting to see how all of that came together at Neal's house. Additionally, it's nice to finally have a Making Of DVD from Neal that isn't SB or TA. He's had 5 prior solo Christian Prog epics under his belt and none of them (save for some Inner Circle releases, I think) have had an accompanying Making Of DVD, so it's nice to see Neal release something with him, Mike and Randy for a change.

I have been listening to Testimony 2 a lot lately, and I can safely say that this album is one of his best, between his solo stuff, TA and SB. There are a lot of great songs on here, and the bonus disc is just the icing on the already delicious and filling cake. I really hope Neal plays "Seeds Of Gold" on one or both of his tour legs for his upcoming tour.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Ħ

« Reply #397 on: May 14, 2011, 06:51:31 PM »
I just bought Absolute Beginner for a little taste of the whole album.  I really like it.  It's very catchy.  It feels very much like Oh Lord, My God from T1 (a song style of his I used to hate, but is growing on me).  Is the general feel of AB a good picture of how the rest of the album is?

And as for Part 6-8, if you could compare them with one other Part from T1, which would you compare to?
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #398 on: May 14, 2011, 09:24:16 PM »
I just bought Absolute Beginner for a little taste of the whole album.  I really like it.  It's very catchy.  It feels very much like Oh Lord, My God from T1 (a song style of his I used to hate, but is growing on me).  Is the general feel of AB a good picture of how the rest of the album is?

And as for Part 6-8, if you could compare them with one other Part from T1, which would you compare to?
Absolute Beginner is one of the tracks on the bonus disc, so Its not part of the T2 concept.
Buy "Seeds Of Gold" from the bonus disc. Its phenomenal!
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #399 on: May 15, 2011, 10:54:23 AM »

Absolute Beginner is indeed a good song, but it's actually probably my least favorite from either disc.  The other short track from disc 2, Supernatural, is quite a bit better (to me, at least).  If someone were to buy one song from disc 2, this is what I'd recommend.

So I don't personally feel like AB is a good picture of the album.  It almost doesn't feel like it fits in sound-wise.  But that's just me, others may feel differently.  But I mean this in a good way, I think the rest of the album is better.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #400 on: May 16, 2011, 08:52:32 AM »
Album is now startting to click.  Part of the reason is that the interview has helped me to not view it as simply the "T1 leftovers," and part of it is just that it's too good to ignore.  It has now surpassed Lifeline and ?.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #401 on: May 16, 2011, 09:10:13 AM »
Album is now startting to click.  Part of the reason is that the interview has helped me to not view it as simply the "T1 leftovers," and part of it is just that it's too good to ignore.  It has now surpassed Lifeline and ?.

And the way I see it, it's more like Neal is filling in some gaps from T1, but because T2 has been released 8 years after T1, it feels more like "here's what I didn't tell you the first time", but if you listen to them continuously (I know, a daunting task), you realize it's just Neal telling the story in various ways that best suit how the story unravels. T1, to me, feels more like how Neal's life used to be, and how he felt he needed to move on to Christianity to save himself, but T2 is more of the how and and when, and how it affected his family and bands, where as T1 was more of a history ("Let me take you back, to where it all began") and telling us how his life changed as a result of becoming Christian. T2 then further explains how his becoming Christian led him to a different calling and eventually "Crossing Over" and leaving his brothers/SB.

I think reading the book will greatly help understanding BOTH Testimony albums, and it'll be an amazing read and I'm sure will have some great insight into one of the greatest prog rockers in the industry!

Also, MP revealed today that they will be playing over 3 hours of Neal Morse music on tour!!! Incredible! I look forward to the eventual CD/DVD of this tour that Neal eluded to in the interview. I wish I could go to the show next Tuesday in VA... :-

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Ħ

« Reply #402 on: May 17, 2011, 06:04:20 AM »
First impressions of Disc 2 (haven't gotten the main disk yet):

Absolute Beginner: Really strong track.  Just has such a joyous sound to it.  I think Neal's vocals really shine in this track, and he adds quite a bit of personality to the whole song.  My favorite.

Supernatural: This song is kinda bleh for me.  Nothing stands out.  It's not unlistenable, but I can't see myself listening to it other than coupling it with the rest of the disc.

Seeds of Gold: I don't think it compares to Neals other epics, but I predict this one will be a grower.  I really like the softer section about ten minutes from the end...very emotional.  But the rest is too Lifeline-y for me.

On the whole, I am very exicted to continue listening to it and eventually getting the first disc when it comes out on CD.  I am not a huge fan of ?, Lifeline, and SS and I am predicted that it will rank above these and possibly tie with One.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #403 on: May 17, 2011, 06:55:16 AM »
After about a dozen listens, it finally hit me hard yesterday and I am absolutely loving it!
I can't wait till Monday to hear it all live!

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #404 on: May 17, 2011, 07:09:26 AM »
Wait, what book?
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline unklejman

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #406 on: May 17, 2011, 08:38:36 AM »
Seeds of Gold: I don't think it compares to Neals other epics, but I predict this one will be a grower.  I really like the softer section about ten minutes from the end...very emotional.  But the rest is too Lifeline-y for me.

Give it time and you will reap the benefits of many listens to "Seeds Of Gold". There's a LOT of recurring themes/melodies that bring the whole thing together, like the opening piano part being done on guitar/bass later on, or some lyrical recurrences that just make it one of his best epics yet. Also, the Steve Morse solo near the end is to die for!

It took me at LEAST a few listens to get into it, then a few more to truly understand it, and to me it sounds pretty much unlike his other epics while still sounding like Neal. He does some awesome things in this song that he's never quite done before, particularly the awesome counter-point things between him and Randy in the middle of the song. And the lyrics have a tone that is different than Neal's usual, especially the "Homecoming" section before the Steve Morse solo.

I still listen to "Seeds Of Gold" is great excitement and it's still very fresh to my ears, even after a couple dozen listens!

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #407 on: May 17, 2011, 09:41:02 AM »
Regarding Neal's upcoming U.S. tour that begins Thursday in Nashville, from Portnoy himself:

SPOILER ALERT!!!!

I hope I'm not spoiling anything for Neal by telling that the whole setlist is NM material...

In fact, I wrote the setlist for the US shows!!  

I didn't want to do any SB or TA as there was already 6 full albums of amazing NM material to pull from (5 of which Randy and I never had the opportunity to play live)...

I just got back from tonight's rehearsal and I can tell you this is going to be an EPIC show!!!  
We havent timed it yet, but I have a feeling it is going to be *well* over 3 hrs!!  

So eat your Wheaties and grab a few Starbucks before the show!!  

MP

Somethings tells me there will be several medleys, and "Seeds of Gold" probably stands a good chance of being played.  

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #408 on: May 17, 2011, 10:06:49 AM »
I could be wrong, but I would estimate they will play a bunch of T1 along with the T2 material to weave it together into a cohesive story. 

A good SS medley would be a good thing.  There is a lot of great material from that album, but other than Heaven In My Heart, the songs are just too long to play.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #409 on: May 17, 2011, 10:13:44 AM »
Regarding Neal's upcoming U.S. tour that begins Thursday in Nashville, from Portnoy himself:

SPOILER ALERT!!!!

I hope I'm not spoiling anything for Neal by telling that the whole setlist is NM material...

I didn't want to do any SB or TA as there was already 6 full albums of amazing NM material to pull from (5 of which Randy and I never had the opportunity to play live)...

I just got back from tonight's rehearsal and I can tell you this is going to be an EPIC show!!!  
We havent timed it yet, but I have a feeling it is going to be *well* over 3 hrs!!  

MP

Somethings tells me there will be several medleys, and "Seeds of Gold" probably stands a good chance of being played.  

Interesting. I'm wondering if they'll do any Testimony material considering Neal played the whole album with Mike and Randy and they've released a DVD of it. To be honest, I'd REALLY like to hear Mike and Randy play all of ? with Neal, do selected pieces from One and Sola Scriptura, maybe one or two songs from Lifeline, and of course all of Testimony 2.

If they do "Seeds Of Gold", I wonder if they'll also do "Absolute Beginner" and "Supernatural"? It'd be pretty neat if they played the entire 2nd disc of T2 in addition to the main disc.

I also wonder how much say Mike had in choosing the setlist for the US Tour and how willing/agreeable Neal was to Mike's choices? I don't doubt they picked a great set, but I wonder if Mike put it together himself or if Neal helped too. I'm sure Mike, if he did it alone, put together a great set list!

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #410 on: May 17, 2011, 12:30:49 PM »
I just hope he gets a really good electric guitar player, especially if they play "Seeds of Gold."  I'd hate to hear some average player butcher that solo.  Same goes for if they would play "12" or the end of "The Door."

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #411 on: May 17, 2011, 12:39:27 PM »
Kev- where did MP post that info? Just wondering because I posted it at Neal's forums and someone asked...

-Marc.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #412 on: May 17, 2011, 12:40:44 PM »
Kev- where did MP post that info? Just wondering because I posted it at Neal's forums and someone asked...

-Marc.

https://www.mikeportnoy.com/forum/tm.aspx?high=&m=2667800&mpage=3#2671476
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #413 on: May 17, 2011, 02:29:41 PM »
I just hope he gets a really good electric guitar player, especially if they play "Seeds of Gold."  I'd hate to hear some average player butcher that solo.  Same goes for if they would play "12" or the end of "The Door."

Paul W. was superb on the Sola Scriptura live dvd.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #414 on: May 17, 2011, 05:51:38 PM »

SPOILER ALERT!!!!

MP

:metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #415 on: May 17, 2011, 07:14:18 PM »
I'm very envious of anyone who gets to see this stuff live!!!!  Nobody worth seeing ever comes to Michigan. . .

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #416 on: May 18, 2011, 05:35:11 AM »
I'm very envious of anyone who gets to see this stuff live!!!!  Nobody worth seeing ever comes to Michigan. . .
Sorry to hear that. I live in Connecticut, so I'm just over an hour out of NYC, and 2 and a half hours from Boston, so I can pretty much have the opportunity to see any touring artist close to home if they're not playing in my state.

Offline unklejman

« Reply #417 on: May 18, 2011, 08:47:09 AM »
I would have drove to the Nashville show (7 hours) had I known about it sooner and had time to save for it.  Really really regretting not being able to go.    :sad:

Offline unklejman

« Reply #418 on: May 18, 2011, 08:53:37 AM »
Another Interview:

https://www.examiner.com/progressive-metal-in-national/neal-morse-spock-s-beard-transatlantic-discusses-his-music-inspirations

Who knows if it’ll ever happen again with the full Testimony band?
:mehlin  Really making me feel bad.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 09:57:54 AM by unklejman »

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #419 on: May 18, 2011, 10:16:45 AM »
I saw the hype over Neal Morse almost everywhere and I heard that MP plays with him so I decided to buy the 2nd disc of Testimony 2 on amazon.

Jesus... I'm blown away by SEEDS OF GOLD especially at the "AND TOMORROW FEELS LIKE HOME" section. Love the emotion along with the technical side. Some of MPs best drumming in the recent years too in my opinion.