Author Topic: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread  (Read 539743 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread
« Reply #280 on: May 05, 2011, 10:07:37 AM »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #281 on: May 05, 2011, 10:13:27 AM »
For disk 2 (3 songs).

Which, just as a reminder, is about 35 minutes worth of music.

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #282 on: May 05, 2011, 10:28:57 AM »
listening to Disk 1 of testimony 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! see you in an hour :D

Online The Letter M

« Reply #283 on: May 05, 2011, 10:30:15 AM »
Here's my initial thoughts that I posted earlier on Neal's forums:

So far so GREAT, I'm halfway through "The Truth Will Set You Free"! I'm loving all the nods to the first Testimony album and Spock's Beard songs in here, and if I'm not mistaken, the ending of "Jesus' Blood" sounds a bit like something from Genesis' The Lamb. (Later I realized that theme sounds like "Hairless Heart").

There is some POWERFUL new music in here, and it's definitely some of Neal's best in recent years. He definitely hasn't run out of ideas and this is a worthy successor to the first Testimony album!

Anyways, discuss away! I'll only get through one listen today before I have to get ready for work, but I will try to listen to it again tonight after work! If not, there will definitely be MORE listens over the weekend!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #284 on: May 05, 2011, 11:13:24 AM »
Marc Marc Marc so excited
He so excited

Goodness, can't wait to get this.

Offline DarkEternalNight

• I take the "the" out of psychotherapist
  • GODDDD ISSSS DEAAADDDD
« Reply #285 on: May 05, 2011, 03:06:06 PM »
I like it so far, wish it wasn't 128kps though.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #286 on: May 05, 2011, 07:29:05 PM »
I couldn't figure out how to burn the disc without the delay in between each song. Is it possible?
Oh well, it will work for now till I get my real deal.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #287 on: May 05, 2011, 07:32:52 PM »
I couldn't figure out how to burn the disc without the delay in between each song. Is it possible?

It is, but I've ever done it successfully using iTunes.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #288 on: May 05, 2011, 07:41:24 PM »

It is, but I've ever done it successfully using iTunes.
I tried using I tunes to download it to begin with was unable to figure out how? Couldn't seem to load it into I tunes.I just downloaded through Windows whatever.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #289 on: May 05, 2011, 10:39:30 PM »
I'm confused about the plot.  The fact that it starts at "Part 5" seems to indicate that the events take place after those on Testimony.  But listening to the lyrics, it seems like random stuff that is scattered throughout the Testimony period.  Any help?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #290 on: May 05, 2011, 10:42:00 PM »
My very uneducated guess, as I don't pay attention to lyrics that much, is that in telling his story since the end of the first Testimony album he is revisiting older stories as we always reflect on our own lives.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #291 on: May 05, 2011, 10:52:09 PM »
As usual with long epics, "Seeds of Gold" took a few listens to really sink in, but I am now really digging it.  And while I haven't really focused on the lyrics at all (I almost always get into the music first, with any artist, before diving into the lyrics), it doesn't seem to be overly religious at all.  Am I wrong?

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #292 on: May 05, 2011, 11:47:10 PM »
As usual with long epics, "Seeds of Gold" took a few listens to really sink in, but I am now really digging it.  And while I haven't really focused on the lyrics at all (I almost always get into the music first, with any artist, before diving into the lyrics), it doesn't seem to be overly religious at all.  Am I wrong?

It's as religious as the stuff on Bridge Across Forever. It's not upfront, but if you really think about it, it's there.

The lyrics hit me right away and are the reason I love it so much. I also love the ending though. The "surprise last note" at the very, very end is really something.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #293 on: May 06, 2011, 04:22:15 AM »
Portnoy confirmed via twitter that the entire first disc will be played on tour. I had assumed as much but it's good to know.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #294 on: May 06, 2011, 05:54:13 AM »
It took me one listen to realize its one of my favorite solo Neal pieces.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #295 on: May 06, 2011, 06:26:43 AM »
How are the two non-epics on disc 2? I haven't bought them yet but I probably will some time soon (although due to my roulette, I may just hold over til I get the actual album).

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #296 on: May 06, 2011, 08:10:54 AM »
I'm confused about the plot.  The fact that it starts at "Part 5" seems to indicate that the events take place after those on Testimony.  But listening to the lyrics, it seems like random stuff that is scattered throughout the Testimony period.  Any help?

My very uneducated guess, as I don't pay attention to lyrics that much, is that in telling his story since the end of the first Testimony album he is revisiting older stories as we always reflect on our own lives.

So far, I seem to find it a bit lacking.  Because it does not cover new ground in terms of the subject matter, it doesn't convey a big "Oomph!" at the end for me like the original.  And while I like the music, including the incredible job he did of incorporating some great reprises in with plenty of new stuff, it almost has a feeling of this just being the leftovers from the first session.  Or maybe I'm just not getting it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #297 on: May 06, 2011, 08:29:51 AM »
I'm feeling like Neal needs to reign his fans back in, spiritually speaking. I'd honestly be surprised if most of his fans are even Christians, and people are getting a bit tired of hearing the same message over and over again. The Whirlwind was a great step for him in the right direction, because the first 80 percent of it was secular enough that all of his fans, even his non-Christian ones, could connect with it on some kind of level. "Seeds of Gold" is the same way; it's got that Bridge Across Forever effect to it that spreads the message without beating the listener over the head with it. And it's so much better than anything on the first disc imo.

Looking more forward to what he does with his other project with Mike Portnoy and Steve Morse now.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #298 on: May 06, 2011, 08:44:03 AM »
I'm feeling like Neal needs to reign his fans back in, spiritually speaking. I'd honestly be surprised if most of his fans are even Christians, and people are getting a bit tired of hearing the same message over and over again.

It's not that at all.  It's just that I'm not feeling he executed the message well on this album.  But then again, it took a couple of years for Testimony to really click, so...

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #299 on: May 06, 2011, 08:47:51 AM »
Eh, I think Lifeline more-or-less said it. Many, though not all, of Neal's fans aren't going to go for the message unless the music is there because, let's face it, few people can pump out prog epics like he can.

You might not agree now, but I'll be curious to hear what your take on it is once you hear how much better Seeds of Gold is than anything he's done recently. 

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #300 on: May 06, 2011, 08:49:00 AM »
I'm feeling like Neal needs to reign his fans back in, spiritually speaking. I'd honestly be surprised if most of his fans are even Christians, and people are getting a bit tired of hearing the same message over and over again.

I don't think its been the same message over and over?
Question Mark was about the Ark Of The Covenant, and living under the law.
Sola Scriptura was about Martin Luther and the hippocracy of the early church.
Testimony is how Neal found the Lord.
 Sure, he does use a lot of the same themes, but his lyrics are ok by me.
Some of his songs are about the pain of life without the Lord, while others speak of the joy to be had with him. He is a Christian artist in a genre where they don't really exist, so he is bringing his message to many who don't receive it any other way, and that to me is cool.
Just my thoughts.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #301 on: May 06, 2011, 09:12:37 AM »
PC, that is why I figured.  Nothing in the long epic has struck me as being overly religious. 

I agree with tick in that the message is not always the same, just because the lyrics are always spiritual/religious.  That is like saying that a band that writes political lyrics writes about the same stuff on every album.  It is possible to have a broad range of topics to write about within something that seems narrow on the surface.

Also, does Steve Morse play on the regular album?  Please say yes...;)

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #302 on: May 06, 2011, 10:04:50 AM »

It's not that at all.  It's just that I'm not feeling he executed the message well on this album.  But then again, it took a couple of years for Testimony to really click, so...
I don't know Bosk, the story about his daughter and her healing is just wow to me! and the amount of personal info he shares is amazing in talking about his state when he found out she was healed. The whole thing kind of blows me away.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #303 on: May 06, 2011, 10:40:02 AM »
I'm not saying there weren't powerful moments.  I teared up during Jayda as well.  But at the end of the day, like everything else on Testimony 2, it was all covered the first time around and only gave a few more specific details, so I didn't feel the emotional impact of the entire album as a piece of music as much.  Does that make sense?

With T1, there are those powerful moments.  But there is also the climax of all those powerful moments fitting into the larger story with the big resolution.

T2 tries to do the same thing.  But the larger story is simply the same exact larger story as T1, so there are still those individual powerful moments without the big payoff in the end.  I dunno.  Maybe I just feel that way because I was expecting this to be a continuation rather than a retelling, and I need to get over my preconception to really enjoy what is going on.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 10:55:07 AM by bösk1 »

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #304 on: May 06, 2011, 10:53:29 AM »
Thanks for clearing that up Bosk. I was thinking of a 'story after' T1 as well, but a retelling makes it a bit different indeed.

Oh well, I'll have to wait a while before listening to the album anyway.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #305 on: May 06, 2011, 10:58:12 AM »
I'm not saying there weren't powerful moments.  I teared up during Jayda as well.  But at the end of the day, like everything else on Testimony 2, it was all covered the first time around and only gave a few more specific details, so I didn't feel the emotional impact of the entire album as a piece of music as much.  Does that make sense?

With T1, there are those powerful moments.  But there is also the climax of all those powerful moments fitting into the larger story with the big resolution.

T2 tries to do the same thing.  But the larger story is simply the same exact larger story as T1, so there are still those individual powerful moments without the big payoff in the end.  I dunno.  Maybe I just feel that way because I was expecting this to be a continuation rather than a retelling, and I need to get over my preconception to really enjoy what is going on.
I'm probably guilty of being too big a fan and not analyzing it too much. I like what I hear, even if much of it is expounding on events in T1. I think its going to sound great live as well.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #306 on: May 06, 2011, 04:32:48 PM »
So, here's a question.  I've been undecided about this for years.  Which is the most awesome 3-song stretch on T1?
(a)  Somber Days, Long Story, It's All I Can Do  OR
(b)  In The Middle, The Storm Before The Calm, Oh, to Feel Him

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #307 on: May 06, 2011, 04:34:56 PM »
B, although A is a good contender. B just packs so much into 3 songs, especiallly TSBTC

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #308 on: May 06, 2011, 07:44:25 PM »
It seems like a quote from Randy was along the lines of T2 taking off where T1 left off. . .  Continuation-wise it doesn't seem like it fits.  But, if the first testimony album had a third disc, it's not inconceivable that he would have gone into detail on things that led to his conversion (Jayda) and things he had to do after (leaving Spock's).  I'm just speculating, really.  I've only heard two songs so far (whatever I've seen on youtube).  I admit, one of those is "It's For You", and lyrically, it's nothing new.  Musically, it's frickin amazing!  Even if T2 is just a different version of T1 (same story told differently with new music) I think I'll be pleased.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #309 on: May 06, 2011, 08:01:18 PM »
Got a promotional credit for an MP3 download from Amazon... so the song I decided to get was an easy choice...

Seeds of Gold FTFW.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #310 on: May 06, 2011, 10:25:41 PM »
So, here's a question.  I've been undecided about this for years.  Which is the most awesome 3-song stretch on T1?

(a) is slightly better of the two, but Sing It High, Moving in My Heart and I am Willing might be better than both.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #311 on: May 07, 2011, 06:02:56 AM »
B
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #312 on: May 07, 2011, 08:37:00 AM »

A for me.  Although if B would have been I am Willing/In the Middle/The Storm I may have gone for that.  My personal favorite 3 songs in a row on Testimony are Overture 1/California Nights/Colder in the Sun.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #313 on: May 07, 2011, 05:18:48 PM »
Just came to say, while listening to it, that "Seeds Of Gold" is quite possibly one of Neal's best epics, EVER, and his best long-song since "Stranger In Your Soul". The lyrics are emotionally moving and VERY sing-along-able and memorable! He just has this way of writing melodies that just latch onto your heart and soul and mind and lyrically, it's just great!

My favorite part has to be the "Homecoming" section in the middle, especially the lyric:
"But now that you're older you're like the new husband
Who lifts up the veil from off of his bride
And finds that she's not quite the young girl that he had in mind."

It sounds so depressing but the chorus is just fascinating:
"But there's a homecoming beyond the danger zone
Where you'll never feel alone
And tomorrow feels like home
Yes, there's a homecoming when you'll admit you're wrong
WHen you're tired and you've lived too long
Come on home where you belong"

Which then goes into the EPIC Steve Morse guitar solo before flowing into the closing recap of the opening themes with yet another catchy chorus:
"Look away to a place where this war is worlds away
Where it's all about you and it's not about me
To a place where you know you'll be okay
And it's all about you and you get it for free
And I have my whole life in front of me"

I really hope Neal and his band(s) play this on the upcoming tour! I won't be seeing him, but knowing that he'll likely record a show for DVD/CD release, I'd love to hear it performed live!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #314 on: May 07, 2011, 05:39:34 PM »
So Many Roads is my favorite epic of his, even above anything with Transatlantic.  Since Lifeline came out, it's pretty much been my theme song.  But I like Seeds of Gold about equally with his other epics (Stranger, Great Nothing, etc).