Author Topic: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread  (Read 539491 times)

Offline The Letter M

Re: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread
« Reply #140 on: December 21, 2010, 08:39:06 PM »
I would hope that Mike and Neal do two tours in 2011 - one in support of the Morse/Morse Band, and another tour in support of Testimony 2, because having Mike on the first Testimony Tour was amazing, and I'm glad they caught it for video release! Great concert!

Depending on how long Testimony 2 ends up being (bonus tracks and all), I'd like to see a tour that plays the Testimedley (from Neal's recent tours), then plays the whole new album, and perhaps closes the show with some standards (other Morse-solo tunes, "We All Need Some Light", and perhaps "Is This Really Happening?" and/or "Dancing With Eternal Glory"). Do all of this on a short US tour (a dozen dates or so) and I will SOOOO be there (either at the show, or buying the eventual live release).

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline DarkEternalNight

• I take the "the" out of psychotherapist
  • GODDDD ISSSS DEAAADDDD
« Reply #141 on: December 21, 2010, 08:41:12 PM »
I would love to see them play live. I just doubt they'd come near NC.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #142 on: December 22, 2010, 07:58:25 AM »
Another (longer) update from Randy in the studio!!! -
Day 2: Well today started early. I was up for a moment to do the usual and then get something to drink. Wil and Jayda were making muffins and I sat down in the living room with Neal for a minute and immediately we started talking about an arrangment on one of the songs. So instead of returning to the comfort of my bed to continue the sleep I was so very much enjoying we talked for a while and then had some breakfast. Neal and Mike went to the gym and I fixed some bass stuff with Jerry in the studio. Neal and Mike return soon after and we jumped right into it. We wanted to get a jump on the day as we only got through about 15 minutes of music yesterday. We really needed to cover about 40 more today but I think we managed to get about 35 minutes more done so I think we are sitting at the 50 minute mark. I'm sure this record will no doubt once again challege the limits of CD capacity. We did alot of arranging as we went. We have been bringing in new ideas to the existing ones. Much of the material was still a bit rough as all this was very premature scheduling wise. But here we are. Mike is playing great and the feel is good. We covered several songs today as much of yesterday was spent working out certain musical themes and passages that weave around the songs. We had some fun along the way. We would be waiting for Jerry to do something so one of us would breakout in a song and soon we were jamming on it... although not for the record. Just radom fun. Sometimes you have to break the tedium by just playing off the cuff. Neal started playing "Everybody Wants to Rule The Word" by Tears for Fears and we all jumped in and started playing it. Mike and I played some Zappa stuff a little as well.  We might have to record some of it sometime. But I doubt we will have time for a bonus disc this time. Who knows though... we'll how far we get tomorrow. We have to finish Mike's tracks first as it is his last day here. I think we are in range to finish though. The record is shaping up nicely. There is some really great material going on! Sleep in the next order of business now!

Randy

Mike only has 3 days in the studio with Neal to record drum parts for a CD-length album?! AMAZING... He's almost done anyway, if he got through 35 minutes yesterday, the next 20-30 should be easy today.

I also enjoy hearing that they're jamming on covers and having fun. Part of me kind of hopes they do some bonus-disc material for fun! Mike and Neal always know how to have a great time in the studio with jamming and covers!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #143 on: December 22, 2010, 12:09:21 PM »
Mike, Randy and Neal playing Zappa?

That's a... strange combination. But I'm interested to hear that!
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #144 on: December 22, 2010, 12:35:35 PM »
I just realized that there are no tracks from Sola Scriptura on So Many Roads: Live. Shows how much I paid attention to that.

We have the three epics from SS on Sola Scriptura and Beyond, but Heaven in My Heart is not yet released in a live format. Kind of a bummer. But NM has such a large bank of songs to record live, it's understandable.

Also, Children of the Chosen should be on the next live release. One of my favorite NM songs, just an awesome feeling to that song.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #145 on: December 22, 2010, 12:39:46 PM »
Good thing you mention Heaven in my Heart. (or to stay in the Zappa/Morse mood "Hebbin' in my heart")

I love that song, after two or three listens I hated it, but it has grown so incredibly much!
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #146 on: December 23, 2010, 11:05:54 AM »
^Yeah dude, it is an amazing ballad among the 3 giants of that album.

O.K., here is an update from Mike Portnoy:

"Neal Morse's Testimony 2 is another masterpiece! I am so grateful to have such a great friend and amazing artist in my life...
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry"

I cannot wait for this. If we get new DT, NM, and Thrice next year, my head will explode.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #147 on: December 23, 2010, 11:14:16 AM »
Third and final update from Randy:
Day 3: I was so not ready to get up this morning. Todd wanted to go out to breakfast so I had to be up earlier than I wanted. But it was worth it. We went to this little place a mile down the road. It was so totally surreal. It should have been a movie with all the country yokels sitting around playing cards... it was a good time though and well worth the sacrifice of precious sleep.  I had BACON! We worked on some Bass tracks before Mike arrived but then got started on the album about 2:00 or so. We had to finish today since Mike leaves for home in the morning. We were a little unsure but once we got into it we moved right along. Mike did some unbelievable stuff tonight. He cited on fill as his favorite of the year. We also filmed more Christmas videos for the different websites. Dinner was awesome and we got back into the momentum pretty quickly. But we had trouble staying awake... man. But we did get through it all to the grand conclusion despite the fact that Mike farted and I couldn't get out! This has turned out to be a really great record. There was a lot of collaberation on this one. It's the best album I have never heard. We still have no idea what it's going to sound like but we know the drums and bass are good! Neal still has to record all his parts now. We tracked to some rough outlines only. I am really looking forward to the finished product. Well it's time for sleep and I complete Bass tracks tomorrow then home for Christmas!

Randy

Read more here - https://nealmorse.yuku.com/topic/3866

-Marc.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #148 on: December 23, 2010, 08:36:18 PM »
www.nealmorse.com

Neal's put up a Holidays Greeting Video up on his main page! Get it while the getting's good! (Downloading now...)

Also, this update from Neal himself!

Hello everyone!

I'm sitting on the studio couch listening to Randy do his bass overdubs, singing an occasional line to him as needed. He is great and takes care of himself for the most part...I mean he punches himself in and knows what is good and doesn't need much "producing". Mike is like that too. These guys are incredible.

So we/Mike actually finished the drum tracks last night. Crazy. Not only did Mike finish playing all kinds of amazing stuff, but we rewrote and arranged quite a bit of music from the demo and incorporated several themes from Testimony 1. It all turned out exceeding my expectations, which were already pretty high considering the people involved.

Total time is at about 75 minutes. Hopeful release will be in May.

Hope you all enjoy the holidays! Blessings to all,

Neal

-Marc.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #149 on: December 23, 2010, 08:48:33 PM »
My birthday is in May.

Just letting you know, Marc.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #150 on: December 23, 2010, 08:56:04 PM »
My birthday is in May.

Just letting you know, Marc.

Looks like you'll have a good birthday. Does it land on a Tuesday next year?  :lol

Also, psyched that they've incorporated themes from the first Testimony! I really hope it starts with "Part 6" and that tracks are grouped into more parts, but being only one disc and 75 minutes, it can't be more than four parts (but knowing Neal, it's probably 3 or 2 parts). I can't wait to listen to it... I'm still deciding whether or not to listen to Testimony 1 right before I listen to Testimony 2 for the first time (and/or every time after).

-Marc.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #151 on: December 23, 2010, 09:07:09 PM »
On a Thursday, enough time for you to ship me my copy. :biggrin:

Ya know, that's a good idea. Listen to Testimony 1 right before the new album, for continuity's sake.  :tup

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #152 on: December 23, 2010, 09:12:35 PM »
On a Thursday, enough time for you to ship me my copy. :biggrin:

Ya know, that's a good idea. Listen to Testimony 1 right before the new album, for continuity's sake.  :tup

Hahaha... you must be a comedian because that's a pretty good joke :lol

I'm holding out hope for a Special/Limited Edition with a bonus track that includes cut-songs, covers, and/or studio jams. I was disappointed when Sola Scriptura didn't have any of that. I know ? didn't, but they eventually released 7 covers they recorded during those sessions on the Cover To Cover album. Then again, with such a short amount of time for Mike and Randy to be at Neal's, I wouldn't be surprised if all they COULD cut was 75 minutes of the album and nothing more.

I won't be TOO disappointed if it's just an album (like ? and SS were), because we're getting Mike and Neal with Steve and Dave as well next year... double-dose of Neal? Yes!

-Marc.

Offline DarkEternalNight

• GODDDD ISSSS DEAAADDDD
« Reply #153 on: December 23, 2010, 09:17:25 PM »
Best Neal Morse album to start off with?

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #154 on: December 23, 2010, 09:18:54 PM »
No doubt that it should be ?. It even features two (well, at the time now) DT members (MP and JR). And it is well-liked around here.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #155 on: December 23, 2010, 09:22:42 PM »

Depends on what you like... and also, be forewarned, his lyrics since leaving Spock's Beard/Transatlantic are more outwardly and extrovertly Christian in message and meaning. They can be a bit praise-y and worship-y at times, but if you take them for what they are and are not easily offended by religious lyrics, then you are probably ready for ANY of his five albums.

I would probably suggest ?. If you're a fan of Transatlantic and Spock's Beard, I'd say this album is most like his previous works with those bands, and it features an array of musical guests that are surely to delight (Alan Morse, Jordan Rudess, Roine Stolt, Steve Hackett, and as usual Mike and Randy on drums and bass). It's a single piece divided into 12 tracks (sound familiar?), and runs about 56 minutes with varying themes, which aren't beaten into the ground like they are in Testimony. And don't worry if you are a collector of varying editions, there's only one edition of this album.

After that, I'd suggest getting One (Special Edition). Definitely one of my favorite Neal Morse albums of all time, and the special edition has some greats songs that were cut, as well as some sweet covers!

-Marc.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 09:34:31 PM by The Letter M »

Offline DarkEternalNight

• GODDDD ISSSS DEAAADDDD
« Reply #156 on: December 23, 2010, 09:33:25 PM »
Wow, excellent summary haha. I'm a Christian myself so I don't have a problem with it. Thanks, I'll check out ?.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #157 on: December 23, 2010, 09:38:10 PM »
Five albums?  He has seven!  Why do so many always ignore his first two solo albums?  The first one is damn good; probably better than two or three of his religious solo records.

Anyway, I'd start off with ?, One or his self-titled debut.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #158 on: December 23, 2010, 09:48:12 PM »
Five albums?  He has seven!  Why do so many always ignore his first two solo albums?  The first one is damn good; probably better than two or three of his religious solo records.

:facepalm: I know I know, but usually when recommending Neal Morse albums, I only think about his five since leaving SB/TA as they are more in-line with his previous prog albums (even though his self-titled debut has that 4-part epic at the end of it which isn't too bad).

I just don't normally recommend them at first, but I do agree, his self-titled album is pretty good, so I echo your suggestions!

-Marc.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #159 on: December 23, 2010, 10:11:15 PM »

https://www.nealmorse.com/pages/audio.asp

Check out these free single downloads too if you want to sample some of his SEVEN albums :lol (oddly absent is Sola Scriptura).

-Marc.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #160 on: December 24, 2010, 05:28:03 PM »

While true, we're usually talking about his 5 prog records.

Offline DarkEternalNight

• GODDDD ISSSS DEAAADDDD
« Reply #161 on: December 24, 2010, 06:00:07 PM »
I listened to Sola Scriptura. Amazing stuff.

Offline James007

• Beatles Apologist
  • Waiting for the new Threshold album.
« Reply #162 on: December 24, 2010, 06:04:37 PM »
I listened to Sola Scriptura. Amazing stuff.
:tup
It was there right before our eyes, we were blind not to realize
In the rush to be globalized we signed away our freedom
We forgot how to criticize, we were scared to be demonized
As the truth was neutralized we lost the art of reason.

- Threshold "The Art of Reason"

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #163 on: December 24, 2010, 10:27:39 PM »
Last update from Randy:
Day 4: Well today is Bass tracking all day. We did capture alot of good performances on the fly... but there is alwaus tons of stuff that has to be fixed for various reasons. Mike tends to trak through stuff a bit at a time until he likes what he does... I only need to track it once... so with several passes over the same bits the result is a lot of inconsistancies. It's much better to retrack bass after that fact unless we actually track the entire song in one pass. We had a few of those. I was able fix a little things and keep the parts played during drum tracking. But there is some stuff that simply has to be done after in order to assure the best result... sometimes parts are not so clear because regardless of what Neal sends Mike comes up with stuff that is different so I end up have to relearn the songs with Mike parts in place. That doesn't happen on the fly. So here I am in the studio Thursday morning 10:00 am or so. Fortunately everyone vanishes and I can sit here alone. I work best this way. The opening stuff was great and Mercy Street was actually one of the songs I didn't have to retrack. But the next section has some crazy lines that Neal of course played on keys and Is baely possible to play on guitar let alone bass... but it's not as bad as all that. It's just tricky. The worst part is no matter how great I think something is.. .Neal sometimes comes in after that fact and wants me to change it for some reason. It's like... yeah man... I think I would rather hear that part played with a pick and could you pick every note?... Uh sure... Anyhow I end up recording a part a couple of times and sometimes leaving both ways to choose later. Then there is the whole... wow... what's Mike doing there? Sometimes it's tricky to connect with some of his quirky fills. Now it has to be said that regardless of how quirky, busy, intense or insane Mike plays... It's always nuts! But you gotta love it! Who else would do fills like that in a Ballad! Anyhow I worked stright through until about 3:00 am Friday morning and managed to get a few hours sleep before getting up and and packing to leave. Up at 6:00 and off to the airport by 7:00. I'm actually typing this as I sit at the gate waiting for my flight. So the plane has just arrived and I had better wrap this up! We all had a great time once again doing what will be another great Neal Morse project. I look forward to hearing my self as everything Neal played so far on this is going to get redone... so it's the best album I have never heard! I'm looking forward to a May relase!

Wrap Up: The pace was brutal but it was fruitful! It's always a special time for the three of us when we can get together and do this. The problem is that we have so much fun we want to hang out and do other stuff together but there is never the time for that... so we try to keep motivated. But we have our moments... usually after one of Cheri's amazing dinners. well I am finally home for Christmas so I am going to sleep now...

Merry Christmas all!

Randy

"Mercy Street", eh? Anyways, sounds like an intense 4 days for Randy (and 3 for Mike)! I wonder how much of the rest of the parts Neal is going to do between now and when Steve Morse comes by in January, especially with remodeling the studio and all. Hopefully Neal gets most of his parts done before the next project so he can send the mix off to Rich and get it done in time for the projected May release!

I wonder if this means we can expect the Morse/Morse project in June or July? That'd be pretty neat!

-Marc.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #164 on: December 24, 2010, 10:49:08 PM »
SQUUUUEEEE

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #165 on: February 15, 2011, 09:22:58 AM »
https://nealmorse.yuku.com/topic/3923

From the man himself - Neal Morse to play at High Voltage!

-Marc.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #166 on: February 15, 2011, 09:27:07 AM »
YES

There will almost surely be a song or two they'll play together...I'm guessing The Light?  Or...I wonder if Neal would sing The Water.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #167 on: February 15, 2011, 09:53:23 AM »
I really doubt he would sing The Water.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #168 on: February 15, 2011, 10:01:30 AM »
Well, I do too, but I just wanted to throw it out there.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #169 on: February 16, 2011, 01:46:50 AM »
I don't think he'll ever play The Water again live. Because of the Fuck You part.

But who would join him then? MP because DT is playing there too?  ;)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #170 on: March 04, 2011, 07:55:32 AM »
NEAL MORSE TOUR DATES

TESTIMONY 2 TOUR 2011

Thursday May 19 -  Nashville TN (venue tba)

Saturday May 21 -  Mexico City (venue tba)

Monday May 23 -  NYC,  The Blender Theater at Gramercy

Tuesday May 24 -  Springfield VA.,   JAXX

Thursday May 26  - San Francisco,  The Avalon in Santa Clara
www.bayarearockpromotions.com

Friday May 27 -  Seattle, WA.,  Experience Music Project Theater

Saturday May 28 -  Los Angeles CA.,  The Whittier Theater in Whittier
https://www.calprog.com/

Neal will be performing these concerts with members of the original Testimony Band featuring Mike Portnoy!

With the European band:
June 2
Hedon
Zwolle
The Netherlands
www.hedon-zwolle.nl
June 3
Asta
Beek (LB)
The Netherlands
www.roosterrockpromotion.com
June 4
De Boerderij
Zoetermeer
The Netherlands
www.cultuurpodiumboerderij.nl
June 5
t.b.a.
t.b.a.
Germany

June 7
Colos-Saal
Aschaffenburg
Germany
www.colos-saal.de
June 8
Kaminwer
Memmingen
Germany
www.kaminwerk.de
June 9
Futurum
Praque
Czech Republic
futurum.musicbar.cz
June 10
Majestic Music Club
Bratislava
Slovakia
www.majestic.sk
June 11
Diesel Club
Budapest
Hungary
www.dieselclub.hu
June 14
Z7
Pratteln
Switzerland
www.z-7.ch
June 16
Koko
London
United Kingdom
www.koko.uk.com
June 17
Academy 2
Manchester
United Kingdom
www.manchesteracademy.net
June 18
The Arches
Glasgow
United Kingdom
www.thearches.co.uk
FESTIVALS
July 23
High Voltage Festival
London
United Kingdom
www.highvoltagefestival.com
July 30
Finisterrae Festival
A Coruņa
Spain
t.b.a.

Neal says regarding the tour:

Also, to avoid any confusion, I am going to have 2 bands, one in Europe and one in America. My reasons are many but the main one is that I want to be able to play this music in as many places as possible, and having bands available on each continent makes it possible to do more concerts. With the festivals being apart from the tour this is really the only way to make it work. Also, I love both these groups and this way I get to play with all of my favorite people!

God bless,
Neal

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #171 on: March 04, 2011, 08:33:18 AM »
Nice. If playing with two band means playing more concerts, then I'm all for it.  :D
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #172 on: March 04, 2011, 08:49:04 AM »
I'll be at the NYC show!
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline James007

• Beatles Apologist
  • Waiting for the new Threshold album.
« Reply #173 on: March 04, 2011, 09:05:00 AM »
Nothing near Texas.   :-\
It was there right before our eyes, we were blind not to realize
In the rush to be globalized we signed away our freedom
We forgot how to criticize, we were scared to be demonized
As the truth was neutralized we lost the art of reason.

- Threshold "The Art of Reason"

Offline Durg

• Evil Java Genius & Horder of Open Source Software
« Reply #174 on: March 04, 2011, 09:18:32 AM »
For a second there I was thinking that MP and DT would be at the High Voltage Festival .... :corn .... but no.  That would be awkward.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!