Author Topic: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread  (Read 554919 times)

Offline ronnibran

Re: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread
« Reply #7035 on: August 18, 2023, 08:25:05 PM »
Now that I've heard the new album many times, I will say it has grown on me a bit.  Definitely better than Sola Gratia.  Still not up there with his early solo output (Testimony through Momentum).  But I enjoy it quite a bit.  Fav songs are "Burns Like a Wheel", "Gold Dust City", and "Wait on You". 

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #7036 on: August 19, 2023, 08:48:32 AM »
I'm glad Joeseph has grown on folks but i've had like five plays and only 1 (i'm not kidding) song is a goodie for me and that's Ultraviolet Dreams.  The rest just lands with a thud for me.  For sure IMO the most forgettable album he's ever made.  I think i'll stick to NMB releases cause at least as of 2021 they are still hitting.

glad folks are enjoying though.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Your sloth is in another castle
« Reply #7037 on: August 19, 2023, 09:11:24 AM »
I’ve put it on a couple of times in the last week and every time I tune out after like 4 songs.

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #7038 on: August 19, 2023, 10:08:16 AM »
hey all, how are things over in neal land? i've found it impossible to continue to remain of fan of his music simply because it isn't available anywhere. and a streaming service for one act feels like a no-no to me. hope his music is still good!
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #7039 on: August 19, 2023, 11:43:18 AM »
hey all, how are things over in neal land? i've found it impossible to continue to remain of fan of his music simply because it isn't available anywhere. and a streaming service for one act feels like a no-no to me. hope his music is still good!

At least in the US, everything of his 2019 onward is available on Spotify.  Jesus Christ the Exorcist, Sola Gratia, The Dreamer pt 1, NMB's Innocence and Danger all on spotify.  I'm assuming unless something changes all new stuff moving forward will likely be.

Offline Pebsie

« Reply #7040 on: August 20, 2023, 03:55:16 AM »

You could always buy the albums?  :\

Absolutely hate how people just accept this rhetoric of “If it isn’t available to me for free then I won’t listen to it”. Streaming is killing this industry, and it’s attitudes like the above that are causing it. Music is expensive. Music has value. Respect it.

« Reply #7041 on: August 20, 2023, 06:53:33 AM »

Absolutely hate how people just accept this rhetoric of “If it isn’t available to me for free then I won’t listen to it”. Streaming is killing this industry, and it’s attitudes like the above that are causing it. Music is expensive. Music has value. Respect it.

sorry i didn't buy neal's 9th jesus worship album extended limited edition! if you check the concert thread you will see i mainly spend money and support artists through seeing live shows. and i would absolutely see NM if he ever toured near me. there's more to music support and supporting musicians other than buying cds and vinyl!! when you are a fan of a myriad of genres simply buying physical media is not possible unless you have unlimited funds. maybe next time don't assume things about people!! thank you
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #7042 on: August 20, 2023, 07:30:38 AM »
Oh, this came out. Listening now. I agree on not liking the bees or flies in the overture. Otherwise it sounds pretty good to open.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7043 on: August 20, 2023, 07:42:50 AM »

Music has value, completely agree but in these days I want to hear the album before buying it. If it's good, I'll buy it. My view might be tainted from saving money as a kid to buy a record I thought I would like only for it be trash aside from the single I liked.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #7044 on: August 20, 2023, 09:09:19 AM »
I listened to The Dream Pt. 1 the other day, and thought it was fine, but definitely on the lower end of Neal's output.  No individual songs stood out, but on the whole was nice.

I am almost done with the album and this is where I am at. It's like DT, I can appreciate that they are still going and writing music, but it is not sticking nearly as much as their prime. I do not see myself coming back to this often, but I will give it some more spins.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7045 on: August 20, 2023, 01:04:54 PM »
From MP Facebook page:

Well that’s a wrap on Morsefest 2023 (both US & EU weekends!!) As you can see, I am ready for some rest and getting home…but both weekends were filled with so many powerful, emotional moments and we loved it all! Neal said some incredibly kind and gracious things about me during last nights show which really touched my heart 💝 It’s been an incredible journey together…a little strange as there’s no future NMB activities on the calendar (at least yet), so who knows when this amazing band will perform live again next…?? 🤷🏻‍♂️ But in the meantime, thanks to all who attended both weekends on both sides of the pond, and to all the incredible musicians and helpers that helped elevate this event to such a special level as always! 🙏

Offline Kram

« Reply #7046 on: August 20, 2023, 02:03:58 PM »
From MP Facebook page:

Well that’s a wrap on Morsefest 2023 (both US & EU weekends!!) As you can see, I am ready for some rest and getting home…but both weekends were filled with so many powerful, emotional moments and we loved it all! Neal said some incredibly kind and gracious things about me during last nights show which really touched my heart 💝 It’s been an incredible journey together…a little strange as there’s no future NMB activities on the calendar (at least yet), so who knows when this amazing band will perform live again next…?? 🤷🏻‍♂️ But in the meantime, thanks to all who attended both weekends on both sides of the pond, and to all the incredible musicians and helpers that helped elevate this event to such a special level as always! 🙏
He replied to someones comment on this saying "There's not necessarily a hiatus...please don't misinterpret my words...I'm just saying there no future activity currently on the calendar (YET)"

I'm hoping the joy of these two Morsefests will inspire them all to get together sooner, rather than later, and start writing a new album!

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #7047 on: August 20, 2023, 02:27:25 PM »
I'm assuming there will be work on a new album at some point next year. Mike is busy with TWD the rest of this year and Eric has the Temic album release later this year, but I'm not sure what else Mike would be working on in 2024. He'll have just had his year of the Dogs, Transatlantic and Sons of Apollo are on hiatus at best, and the Flying Colors show on CttE is being described as a one-off performance. The only other band I could think of would be LTE, I do believe it was said that they signed a two record deal with they made their return so maybe we get LTE4 and a tour?
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Kram

« Reply #7048 on: August 20, 2023, 02:45:27 PM »
I'm assuming there will be work on a new album at some point next year. Mike is busy with TWD the rest of this year and Eric has the Temic album release later this year, but I'm not sure what else Mike would be working on in 2024. He'll have just had his year of the Dogs, Transatlantic and Sons of Apollo are on hiatus at best, and the Flying Colors show on CttE is being described as a one-off performance. The only otr band I could think of would be LTE, I do believe it was said that they signed a two record deal with they made their return so maybe we get LTE4 and a tour?
LTE definitely signed a multi-album deal.  Where did you hear that Flying Colors CTTE appearance is a one off?

Offline Skeever

« Reply #7049 on: August 20, 2023, 03:18:26 PM »
From MP Facebook page:

He replied to someones comment on this saying "There's not necessarily a hiatus...please don't misinterpret my words...I'm just saying there no future activity currently on the calendar (YET)"

I'm hoping the joy of these two Morsefests will inspire them all to get together sooner, rather than later, and start writing a new album!

MP truly never changes.

Edit: that said, I share the confusion. It's difficult to wrap my head around which Neal albums are what, and what the difference in billing means. Seems like "Neal Morse" is the more cheaply made product (and if old friends show up it's just because that was a deliberate choice for this one time), whereas NMB feels like the more all-out collaborative product more likely to have interesting ideas and performances. 
« Last Edit: August 20, 2023, 03:39:24 PM by Skeever »

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #7050 on: August 20, 2023, 04:45:17 PM »
I'm assuming there will be work on a new album at some point next year. Mike is busy with TWD the rest of this year and Eric has the Temic album release later this year, but I'm not sure what else Mike would be working on in 2024. He'll have just had his year of the Dogs, Transatlantic and Sons of Apollo are on hiatus at best, and the Flying Colors show on CttE is being described as a one-off performance. The only otr band I could think of would be LTE, I do believe it was said that they signed a two record deal with they made their return so maybe we get LTE4 and a tour?
LTE definitely signed a multi-album deal.  Where did you hear that Flying Colors CTTE appearance is a one off?

Casey mentioned when he was opening for night one of Morsefest in TN that the cruise gig was the only show Flying Colors had planned for 2024 (at least as of this point).
Photobucket sucks.

Offline 425

« Reply #7051 on: August 20, 2023, 04:54:58 PM »
From MP Facebook page:

MP truly never changes.

Edit: that said, I share the confusion. It's difficult to wrap my head around which Neal albums are what, and what the difference in billing means. Seems like "Neal Morse" is the more cheaply made product (and if old friends show up it's just because that was a deliberate choice for this one time), whereas NMB feels like the more all-out collaborative product more likely to have interesting ideas and performances.

I think the key is to think of NMB as a band like Transatlantic or Spock's Beard or anything else, versus solo albums driven by one guy.

They've pretty much said that they regret naming it "The Neal Morse Band" because of the confusion it causes, which is why they've started just calling it "NMB." I consider all five to be equal members of NMB just as the four are all equal members of Transatlantic. "Neal Morse" albums are solo albums just like any other artist's solo albums, where the solo artist sets the creative vision, invites the players they want to invite, and those players need to do whatever the solo artist wants.

Once you set aside the fact that one guy's name is in the original NMB band name, and just think of "NMB" as a name like "Transatlantic," I think the distinction is pretty straightforward.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Skeever

« Reply #7052 on: August 20, 2023, 05:26:34 PM »
From MP Facebook page:

MP truly never changes.

I think the key is to think of NMB as a band like Transatlantic or Spock's Beard or anything else, versus solo albums driven by one guy.

They've pretty much said that they regret naming it "The Neal Morse Band" because of the confusion it causes, which is why they've started just calling it "NMB." I consider all five to be equal members of NMB just as the four are all equal members of Transatlantic. "Neal Morse" albums are solo albums just like any other artist's solo albums, where the solo artist sets the creative vision, invites the players they want to invite, and those players need to do whatever the solo artist wants.

Once you set aside the fact that one guy's name is in the original NMB band name, and just think of "NMB" as a name like "Transatlantic," I think the distinction is pretty straightforward.

Okay, but then you've got the fact that aren't most NM albums the same players of NMB right?

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #7053 on: August 20, 2023, 06:45:36 PM »
From MP Facebook page:

MP truly never changes.

Okay, but then you've got the fact that aren't most NM albums the same players of NMB right?

Not entirely, and trending less and less so. The solo Neal albums to come out since the first NMB album are Jesus Christ the Exorcist, Sola Gratia, and Joseph Pt 1. JCtE has Randy and Bill doing their thing, but Eric is primarily on drums instead of guitar and no Mike. Sola Gratia had Mike and Randy but just guest spots from Bill and Eric.The new album has I believe nobody from NMB on the whole album, just a couple of guest appearances.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #7054 on: August 20, 2023, 07:36:21 PM »
Neal said Morsefest 2024 could most likely be both Joseph albums, so at the very least, the band will play then (unless he uses a different band like he had for JCTE).

Temic will be touring in early 2024 and from what they've said they plan to tour as much as they're able too. Eric will be busy for at least the first half of next year I'd say - plus, they already started writing another album, which might get recorded after they tour.

If Steve is able to make it, I'd love to see Flying Colors start working on another album, even if it's just writing remotely.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #7055 on: August 21, 2023, 01:19:38 AM »
AMAZING Weekend in The Hague and Zoetermeer!

Me and my dad flew down from Sweden and we're absolutely speechless after two incredible concerts! Maybe the most powerful concert experience of my life. There truly are som really moving moments in the Testimony albums, both 1 and 2. And the surprises of night two were all great! Same setlist as Morsefest USA which was expected, I didn't look at those sets during last weeks though to keep the element of surprise.

Having not seen Testimony live I thought the first night was truly spectacular, and to see it performed with background singers, percussion, horns and strings was truly something extra and really brought the performance to life. The audience literally wouldn't stop cheering after that acoustic guitar / drum burnout in Sleeping Jesus and Neal had to stop for a moment and reach for his tissues already and I had a similar moment when they went into God's Theme after Oh, To Feel Him. Probably the most powerful moment for me, to finally see that theme being played live.

Night two had me really excited for the surprises, got a little spoiled by accidently finding out that that Kyle Graves guy guest sang on Supernatural, which also made me suspect that Seeds of Gold would be played, didn't matter though since it's one of my fav Neal songs. Opening up with the Healing Colors of Sounds and having Reunion/King Jesus as encore were GREAT surprises though! Testimony 2 is one of my favorite Neal-albums so it was quite the experience seeing this one live! And the entire band plus the extra musicians slayed! Neal had a moving speech where he genuinly asked the audience "How many of you would actually know about me if it wasn't for this guy?" and turned to Mike Portnoy and really thanked him for being such a big part of his life and his music for all these years.

Overall, 10/10, would do it again!!

Offline Pebsie

« Reply #7056 on: August 21, 2023, 02:34:00 AM »
From MP Facebook page:

MP truly never changes.

Having watched it gradually evolve over 10 years it doesn't seem complicated but thinking about it the timeline is a bit messy. So for anyone who doesn't know:

* Neal Morse released a bunch of solo albums with Randy George on bass and MP on drums but when touring toured with guest musicians for guitars, keys, drums etc
* Once MP had left DT he was able to commit to touring with Neal, which left only guitar and keys as guest musicians
* So Neal & Randy did audition to fill in the slots. Documentary here
* They then tour Momentum with Neal, Randy, Mike, Eric, Bill and Adson Sodre (who also auditioned)
* This lineup would then be his band moving forwards, but unfortunately Adson Sodre - who was originally from Brazil - had to leave due to visa issues
* The Grand Experiment was the first time Neal had gone into the studio with a group of musicians without previous preparing anything. They jammed out everything on there. That's why it was "the grand experiment"

I think that from there it made sense to be called "The Neal Morse Band" but that the contributions of Eric and Bill were more substantial than Neal, Randy or Mike were expecting. Beyond The Years - for example - was a Bill song first.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #7057 on: August 21, 2023, 05:13:38 AM »
One question I have, as I just re-watched the audition documentary fairly recently but wasn't plugged into all things Neal at the time, is if this was happening after Mike's split from DT then why did they also audition for and choose a new drummer?
Photobucket sucks.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #7058 on: August 21, 2023, 06:11:41 AM »
One question I have, as I just re-watched the audition documentary fairly recently but wasn't plugged into all things Neal at the time, is if this was happening after Mike's split from DT then why did they also audition for and choose a new drummer?

I believe the intention for that was in case Neal wanted to tour/play live and Mike was unavailable or unable to commit to a string of shows. AFAIK, Neal never played live with the drummer they chose in those auditions, which kind of sucks for that drummer, but I'm sure it was an experience to even make it that far.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

« Reply #7059 on: August 21, 2023, 07:29:27 AM »
i listened to the latest NM!

morse's vocals, as always, are a standout feature. his ability to convey raw emotion through his voice adds an extra layer of depth to the already evocative lyrics, and the thematic elements explored throughout the album are thought-provoking and introspective, touching on concepts of personal growth, spirituality, and the human experience. what truly sets this record apart is its pacing and flow. each track seamlessly transitions into the next, creating a cohesive listening experience that encourages you to lose yourself in its sonic landscapes. the longer song structures give ample space for the musicians to explore and showcase their virtuosity, without ever feeling indulgent
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Pebsie

« Reply #7060 on: August 24, 2023, 07:13:53 AM »
It’s great to be able to announce the details of the new D’Virgilio, Morse & Jennings album, Sophomore on November 10th, 2023

Pre-orders will open at Radiant Records on September 8th - we’ll have an exclusive colored vinyl plus … when Nick and Ross were here earlier in the summer, we got a bunch of color photos of the band signed by all 3 of us, and some lucky pre-orders will get that included with their order when the album is released!

You can pre-save the album today on your preferred streaming service, and submit your favourite song from their own ‘sophomore’ year at school for inclusion on a future playlist

Source
Pre-save

Cool album art. Reminds me of Similitude / TGA. Bit of an on the nose name, like calling your band's fifth album "V"  :biggrin: Really enjoyed Troika though so looking forward to this one!!

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7061 on: August 24, 2023, 03:34:12 PM »
Looking forward to checking this out.

« Reply #7062 on: August 30, 2023, 01:07:04 PM »
hype! hope it hits real streaming apps!
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Pebsie

« Reply #7063 on: August 31, 2023, 06:53:07 AM »

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #7064 on: September 13, 2023, 04:33:19 PM »
NMB related, Randy George just released a really good solo album, that is avaible to listen on bandcamp (you can listen to it for free, if you are curious to hear how it is).
https://www.sonicperspectives.com/album-reviews/randy-george-beyond-words/?fbclid=IwAR1cMT2etDSO2BP6ghRzxvRaAiU04pHGdEqyfEctvISbhmgIpvKU3PyzVJU
I liked it so much that I also listened to his previous album, Action Reaction on Spotify (also on bandcamp). It's even better! All instrumental and the bass playing is very influenced by Stuart Hamm (in his solo albums). The song 66,000mph is like Stuart Hamm meets Rush's Territories, really cool!!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #7065 on: September 13, 2023, 05:10:51 PM »
NMB related, Randy George just released a really good solo album, that is avaible to listen on bandcamp (you can listen to it for free, if you are curious to hear how it is).
https://www.sonicperspectives.com/album-reviews/randy-george-beyond-words/?fbclid=IwAR1cMT2etDSO2BP6ghRzxvRaAiU04pHGdEqyfEctvISbhmgIpvKU3PyzVJU
I liked it so much that I also listened to his previous album, Action Reaction on Spotify (also on bandcamp). It's even better! All instrumental and the bass playing is very influenced by Stuart Hamm (in his solo albums). The song 66,000mph is like Stuart Hamm meets Rush's Territories, really cool!!

Yep! I got my CD last week but it's been out for almost 2 months via bandcamp, digitally at least.

Randy George is trying to kickstart some funding for a solo album. The clips he posted sound really good! He has a ways to go so I figured I'd post it here in case anyone is interested. I just found out about it today.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/cunwsgh5xtmxc9e/AACLSlnw6Eeii3q97mNS9cada?dl=0&preview=snippets.wav

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/randygeorgebass/randy-george-beyond-words-solo-album

Looks like it worked out because I'm on my 2nd listen of the album now! You can order the album now on CD or Digital and listen to it right now!

https://randygeorgebass.bandcamp.com/album/beyond-words

Not bad! I haven't heard Randy's first two solo albums so I cannot compare them but I really like this one so far!

-Marc.

I really enjoyed it! I also ordered Action Reaction and downloaded his first solo album too, after asking him on Facebook if he'd upload it to Bandcamp.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #7066 on: September 13, 2023, 06:16:32 PM »
I didn't see those previous messages. Anyway, really happy to hear those albums, Randy is also a talented composer!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #7067 on: September 13, 2023, 06:36:19 PM »
I didn't see those previous messages. Anyway, really happy to hear those albums, Randy is also a talented composer!

Agreed! It's wild he's only released three solo albums in twenty years! I wonder just how much he has contributed to Neal Morse albums over the years...

-Marc.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #7068 on: September 14, 2023, 09:07:36 AM »
Just got done redoing a room in our house to be my home office, and as I was putting CDs back on shelves and going through the Neal Morse section, I was getting really lost trying to figure out what live albums exist that I don't have.  I love that Neal is so prolific, but there is so much overlap between the live releases, and they come so frequent, that I got behind several years ago.  It's really a pain looking at different discographies online to try to figure out where the gaps are.  The way they separate out his different projects differently, lump things together differently, and seem to either be missing things or include things that aren't "official" really makes it unnecessarily difficult.  This, coupled with Radiant's absolute uselessness over the years, and other annoyances, has somewhat soured me as a fan, even though I generally still love most of the music.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #7069 on: September 14, 2023, 09:29:16 AM »
Just got done redoing a room in our house to be my home office, and as I was putting CDs back on shelves and going through the Neal Morse section, I was getting really lost trying to figure out what live albums exist that I don't have.  I love that Neal is so prolific, but there is so much overlap between the live releases, and they come so frequent, that I got behind several years ago.  It's really a pain looking at different discographies online to try to figure out where the gaps are.  The way they separate out his different projects differently, lump things together differently, and seem to either be missing things or include things that aren't "official" really makes it unnecessarily difficult.  This, coupled with Radiant's absolute uselessness over the years, and other annoyances, has somewhat soured me as a fan, even though I generally still love most of the music.

My "Neal Morse" shelves generally consist of any solo album by him directly (including his first two, his prog albums starting with Testimony up to Sola Gratia, his two releases with Frontiers Records, and other singer-songwriter albums), all four NMB studio albums and their subsequent live albums for those tours, all of the Morsefest releases, and all of the Inner Circle stuff I've gotten over the past decade (at least the physical stuff since he switched to all-digital a couple of years ago). They're all in there in chronological order, regardless of which band or line-up it is.

For his other groups like Flying Colors, Spock's Beard, and Transatlantic, they're all in their own sections alphabetically in relation to other bands (F, S and T respectively). The "Neal Morse" portion of my Media Tower is probably the biggest chunk of music albums by/relating to a single artist that I have, which is quite impressive, but as you said, he has been VERY prolific over the past nearly-thirty-years.

-Marc.