Author Topic: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread  (Read 555089 times)

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
Re: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread
« Reply #6755 on: April 08, 2023, 04:20:44 AM »
I don't look at Facebook much these days, but I will duck in on occasion, and I saw the other day that someone had asked if there was a timetable on NMB's next album and/or tour (I think) and Portnoy replied with, "No."  Makes me wonder if Neal is just wanting to not to the full band stuff for a while and just do solo stuff where he can do his thing without having to compromise.  After the way the last TA album went down, it wouldn't surprise me, but I am just speculating based on nothing. :lol

I've been curious but what happened with TA? As far as I know they just called it quits?

I believe I read some scuttlebutt somewhere online recently about Flying Colors possibly reconvening for a fourth album before next years Cruise to the Edge. Hopefully that turns out to be the case.  Although I'd still probably prefer a new NMB album if I'm being honest..

I wonder if Steve would be available with him taking care of his wife.

For Transatlantic, there just seems to have been tension among the band members back to the release of The Absolute Universe. Just the fact that they had to release two separate versions of the album because they couldn't come to an agreement on the final product. And some people in the band were definitely not happy about the amount of material they had to learn for the tour + Morsefest.

As far as Steve Morse, the sense I got is that he can't do extensive touring like remaining in Deep Purple would require, but I don't think there's an issue with him getting away for a few days here and there.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #6756 on: April 08, 2023, 04:49:51 AM »
I don't think anything nasty went down with The Neal Morse Band. It's just that Neal is working on two solo albums at the moment as well as the follow up to DMJ, so he'd probably like to keep The Neal Morse band activity for 2025 or something. That way, he's can be busy for two to three years straight without wondering what he would be doing next.

Offline HOF

« Reply #6757 on: April 08, 2023, 08:46:17 AM »
Mike did address the “final shows” thing back when Final Flight came out. He made it sound more like with how infrequently they release albums and their age, they couldn’t guarantee that they would ever tour again. Made it seem less like they were consciously ending the band and more like there were no plans to do anything in the foreseeable future.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Your sloth is in another castle
« Reply #6758 on: April 08, 2023, 09:10:53 AM »
Even if this last tour wasn’t the end for good, it was gonna be the end for now anyway. It’s not like TA was gonna immediately go back into the studio for TA6 at the end of the tour.
Everybody in the band is getting older and has other commitments and main bands that get in the way of TA being more active, but for them to treat this show like the last show and for Neal to react so emotionally to it, I think someone in the band has made it clear that they don’t want to come back again for another album/tour. Total speculation of course.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #6759 on: April 08, 2023, 10:55:30 AM »
Even if this last tour wasn’t the end for good, it was gonna be the end for now anyway. It’s not like TA was gonna immediately go back into the studio for TA6 at the end of the tour.
Everybody in the band is getting older and has other commitments and main bands that get in the way of TA being more active, but for them to treat this show like the last show and for Neal to react so emotionally to it, I think someone in the band has made it clear that they don’t want to come back again for another album/tour. Total speculation of course.

And if I had to guess as to who that might be, it's probably Roine. I think he wants to head into the latter part of his career steering the ship with The Flower Kings, who already have another album coming out this year and a tour as well. Pete might feel that way too, considering how busy he usually is with Marillion. I believe they're also the two oldest members of the band, so they probably don't feel like doing massive 3+ hour shows in 5-10 years is in the cards for them. Neal isn't that much younger than them either, but he's got spunk and spirit. He'll probably be writing and playing epics til he's 75.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6760 on: April 08, 2023, 11:24:45 AM »
I don't think anything nasty went down with The Neal Morse Band. It's just that Neal is working on two solo albums at the moment as well as the follow up to DMJ, so he'd probably like to keep The Neal Morse band activity for 2025 or something. That way, he's can be busy for two to three years straight without wondering what he would be doing next.

Right, and I hope no one thought I was implying otherwise.  They are doing Morsefest this year, so obviously all is good.  I just think it is interesting that the band's last tour ended about a year ago and there are still zero plans to do any new music or tour going forward.  That's it.  But, like has been said, Neal seems busy with other stuff, as do some of the others, so it's likely just a matter of when, not if.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6761 on: April 08, 2023, 11:35:55 AM »

And if I had to guess as to who that might be, it's probably Roine. I think he wants to head into the latter part of his career steering the ship with The Flower Kings, who already have another album coming out this year and a tour as well. Pete might feel that way too, considering how busy he usually is with Marillion. I believe they're also the two oldest members of the band, so they probably don't feel like doing massive 3+ hour shows in 5-10 years is in the cards for them. Neal isn't that much younger than them either, but he's got spunk and spirit. He'll probably be writing and playing epics til he's 75.

-Marc.

I would also think it’s Roine. We’ve talked about Roine’s live performances to death in the TA thread, and I don’t wanna start that conversation again, but he does seem like the least invested in the band to me.
Pete seems to be happy doing TA whenever the opportunity comes up, so I can’t imagine he’d be a holdout.
MP would probably make TA his main band in a heartbeat if it was possible. Obviously not him.
Neal I would assume is in the same camp. He clearly loves this band.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #6762 on: April 08, 2023, 11:47:23 AM »
Yeah, I ran into Pete in the hotel the Saturday morning of Morsefest weekend and we talked about what a surprise In Held Twas I was the previous night and how much music they needed down for the weekend and he made it sound like he didn't mind, but I think Roine (and Ted, not that he would impact the future of the band) weren't thrilled with how much different TA material they needed to know.
Photobucket sucks.

Online Kram

« Reply #6763 on: April 08, 2023, 11:55:52 AM »

Right, and I hope no one thought I was implying otherwise.  They are doing Morsefest this year, so obviously all is good.  I just think it is interesting that the band's last tour ended about a year ago and there are still zero plans to do any new music or tour going forward.  That's it.  But, like has been said, Neal seems busy with other stuff, as do some of the others, so it's likely just a matter of when, not if.
I think what's interesting is apparently there were plans to reconvene for a new NMB album end of last year or beginning of this year, and something happened where that plan changed.

Offline Cocopjojo

• Astral Traveler
« Reply #6764 on: April 08, 2023, 02:01:35 PM »

I recall some statements from Neal a while back along the lines of wanting to do something "different" for a while. A friend of mine read the same things and is convinced he's ready to retire but can't give up music completely so he's sort of doing non-main-project stuff as a compromise.

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #6765 on: April 08, 2023, 02:11:28 PM »
VERY DISSAPPOINTING! NEED more NMB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6766 on: April 08, 2023, 02:27:42 PM »
Shout louder I don’t think he heard you

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6767 on: April 08, 2023, 03:23:55 PM »

I think what's interesting is apparently there were plans to reconvene for a new NMB album end of last year or beginning of this year, and something happened where that plan changed.

I am close to someone in the known and I have seen with my own eyes something that indicates that new music is in the works.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6768 on: April 08, 2023, 03:38:13 PM »
I don't look at Facebook much these days, but I will duck in on occasion, and I saw the other day that someone had asked if there was a timetable on NMB's next album and/or tour (I think) and Portnoy replied with, "No."  Makes me wonder if Neal is just wanting to not to the full band stuff for a while and just do solo stuff where he can do his thing without having to compromise.  After the way the last TA album went down, it wouldn't surprise me, but I am just speculating based on nothing. :lol

I've been curious but what happened with TA? As far as I know they just called it quits?

I believe I read some scuttlebutt somewhere online recently about Flying Colors possibly reconvening for a fourth album before next years Cruise to the Edge. Hopefully that turns out to be the case.  Although I'd still probably prefer a new NMB album if I'm being honest..

I wonder if Steve would be available with him taking care of his wife.

For Transatlantic, there just seems to have been tension among the band members back to the release of The Absolute Universe. Just the fact that they had to release two separate versions of the album because they couldn't come to an agreement on the final product. And some people in the band were definitely not happy about the amount of material they had to learn for the tour + Morsefest.

As far as Steve Morse, the sense I got is that he can't do extensive touring like remaining in Deep Purple would require, but I don't think there's an issue with him getting away for a few days here and there.

All members of the band are up front that Deep Purple is a primarily touring unit. They do WORLD tours, and are on the road most of each year.  Steve has been honest the past that the touring requirements are onerous, and that was just when he wanted to do some Dregs stuff and/or some solo stuff (not to mention the Flying Colors gig).   He has been clear that his caring for his wife was primarily about INTERNATIONAL travel, and being away for weeks at a time.   I know he has some Steve Morse Band gigs lined up; if memory serves, there's one here in CT soon.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #6769 on: April 08, 2023, 03:39:14 PM »
Given the more collaborative nature of NMB (and FC), I think Neal was just trying to get some more solo music out of his system before committing to regrouping with any of his other bands. I think there's also been enough time since the last FC album that the other writers in the group have probably enough material to bring to the table for a new album, and I've been hoping they get back together for a couple years now.

As for NMB, I think Eric and Bill (and possibly Randy too) also have contributed a lot of material over their last four albums together, and probably more and more with each album, so I'm sure they've got material saved up for NMB5 as well, which I'm sure is a blessing for Neal, who might not have 50-100 minutes of prog music demoed for them again.

If I had my way, I'd love to see Neal and Mike bring back Flying Colors later this year to write and record their fourth album, release it next spring and do a small summer tour. Then with the NMB, they could write and record NMB5 in the winter before FC4 comes out, then release it in the summer or fall, and then do a fall/winter tour with Morsefest 2024 beforehand.

Unless Neal's age and health are catching up to him, I doubt he'll retire anytime soon. He's still full of energy and ideas and if touring is wearing him down, he may become a strictly-studio musician from then on, which I would be OK with. I'd love to see him do one more album-tour cycle with both NMB and FC though, so I can, hopefully, get a chance to see them live before they're disbanded. I missed my chance with Transatlantic, but now that I have a better paying position at work, I'm hoping I can try and financially fit in a concert to see NMB and/or FC if/when they tour again!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6770 on: April 08, 2023, 06:50:17 PM »

I am close to someone in the known and I have seen with my own eyes something that indicates that new music is in the works.

Awesome. I'd love for them to pull a "hey, we have a new album written, recorded and ready to go, and it will be released next week."  In this day and age, albums don't need long rollouts like years past, and the surprise album out of nowhere thing is always an awesome thing for fans.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #6771 on: April 08, 2023, 07:44:45 PM »

Awesome. I'd love for them to pull a "hey, we have a new album written, recorded and ready to go, and it will be released next week."  In this day and age, albums don't need long rollouts like years past, and the surprise album out of nowhere thing is always an awesome thing for fans.

Big Big Train have done this and it's one reason why they continue to br a favorite of mine.

I think members of Neal's bands are too social and like to bring things up when asked, or fans find out somehow. I think if NMB does record anything this year, it'll be before or after Morsefest, since they'll all be together anyway. I'd prefer AFTER, that way they'll be locked in as a hand and performing unit, and that could influence the energy and inspiration for a new album.

-Marc.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6772 on: April 08, 2023, 07:47:39 PM »
Didn’t the NMB record a live album on their last tour? I’m surprised that hasn’t been released yet.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #6773 on: April 08, 2023, 10:28:03 PM »
I mean, The Winery Dogs are touring extensively this year. MP does not have a lot of time. They just finished a couple of month US tour, are about to go to South America for a few weeks, then the West Coast and then UK/Europe for the summer and then the UK again in October.

He's kinda busy.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6774 on: April 09, 2023, 08:22:44 AM »
Didn’t the NMB record a live album on their last tour? I’m surprised that hasn’t been released yet.

Yes, it's recorded and only awaiting the release date. I have had an audio promo since February, it surprises me as well that it hasn't been announced.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #6775 on: April 09, 2023, 10:13:10 AM »

Yes, it's recorded and only awaiting the release date. I have had an audio promo since February, it surprises me as well that it hasn't been announced.
Was it recorded in Tilburg?  That would be more exciting to me than another Morsefest release..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6776 on: April 09, 2023, 10:18:00 AM »

Was it recorded in Tilburg?  That would be more exciting to me than another Morsefest release..

Live in Hamburg

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6777 on: April 10, 2023, 09:19:26 AM »
The latest Inner Circle letter confirmed that NMB: Live in Hamburg is gonna be an audio only release coming out in July.

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6778 on: April 10, 2023, 10:03:05 AM »
The latest Inner Circle letter confirmed that NMB: Live in Hamburg is gonna be an audio only release coming out in July.

Yes, and the new Joseph album (part 1) is going to be released it August 11th. This is the one I was referring to in my previous post that I knew new music was in the works.

Online Kram

« Reply #6779 on: April 11, 2023, 12:46:21 PM »

Yes, and the new Joseph album (part 1) is going to be released it August 11th. This is the one I was referring to in my previous post that I knew new music was in the works.
So your previous post when you said "I am close to someone in the known and I have seen with my own eyes something that indicates that new music is in the works." is referring to the Joseph album and NOT new NMB music?

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #6780 on: April 11, 2023, 01:18:40 PM »

So your previous post when you said "I am close to someone in the known and I have seen with my own eyes something that indicates that new music is in the works." is referring to the Joseph album and NOT new NMB music?

He's doing an album with King Diamond and George Fisher from Cannibal Corpse. It's a concept album where Jesus and Satan decide the fate of humanity on a corpse eating contest.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6781 on: April 11, 2023, 03:18:17 PM »
I’ve always wanted a Neal Morse black metal album

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #6782 on: April 13, 2023, 08:19:19 PM »
I’ve always wanted a Neal Morse black metal album

It could happen! He'd one up Pat Boone!

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6783 on: April 21, 2023, 08:34:44 AM »
Brother Andrew Musical - May 1, 2023
Many of you have followed the progress of the musical I’ve been working on based on Brother Andrew’s book, God’s Smuggler.

Well, the first presentation of the musical is happening on May 1 in the George Theater in Houston at 7:30PM.

Tickets are free (!)
and on the evening we will present most of the show, with the opportunity for Q&A and feedback afterwards. 

We’d love to see as many people as possible there and you can secure your place here - https://ci.ovationtix.com/35111/production/1156616?performanceId=11262039

It will not be a full presentation. No stage props, costumes or dancing etc. We will be essentially presenting the music with some killer vocalists in the cast!

The band will be piano, bass, and drums. Jason Hart is the musical director and will be playing piano. I met him at the Lorelei festival when he was playing keyboards with Camel! John Galgano, from the Prog band IZZ will be playing bass. Jonathan Means will be playing drums.

It should be an awesome evening, and I hope anyone who happens to be in the area can make it!

Cherie, Jayda, and Wil and all flying in!

Blessings,
Neal
« Last Edit: April 21, 2023, 05:15:52 PM by MinistroRaven »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6784 on: April 21, 2023, 03:45:42 PM »
Interesting. Given that Houston is not exactly next door to where Neal lives in TN, this being free makes me wonder if there is backing behind this to where he is able to travel and put on a show for free.   I am sure some in-the-know can speak to the logistics.  I am admittedly a bit lukewarm on this project given that it's a musical and it feels like it will be overly spiritual in nature, but like almost anything Neal releases, I will certainly check it out and be ready to buy if I like it all.

Offline Cocopjojo

• Astral Traveler
« Reply #6785 on: April 21, 2023, 04:27:56 PM »
It's in Houston because Neal has a friend there who is the art director for a theater. They've been working on the show together.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6786 on: April 21, 2023, 04:58:30 PM »
Ah, okay, that makes sense!  Thanks for the post.  :tup :tup

Offline Willthescout7

« Reply #6787 on: April 23, 2023, 12:04:42 PM »
My biggest question for God's Smuggler is whether he is planning to release an album version, or just a live DVD? I can't make a trip to see it due to work and other obligations, but I'm very curious.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6788 on: April 24, 2023, 09:57:04 AM »
I have no interest whatsoever in this project, but I wish him success, I guess.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6789 on: May 11, 2023, 11:54:16 AM »
From NM forum

UPDATE ON ERIC GILLETTE:

Find below the detailed recount of what happened to Eric, written by his wife Jaci. We appreciate all the prayers, well wishes and thoughts sent their way.

ORIGINAL POST - 5/10/23:

Friends and family - We could use prayers for Eric. The last few days have been a little crazy. He was feeling slightly ill on Thursday and going into the weekend. But it was nothing alarming, and by Sunday evening he seem to be back to his normal self. Monday morning he took a nose dive, with extremely high fevers, body-aches, muscle spasms, and an episode of passing out. I took him to the urgent care, were they swabbed him for Covid and strep throat. Both were negative. They said there wasn’t anything they could do. When I went to pick him up at urgent care, he was completely out of it in the waiting room - and had a difficult time walking to the car. I drove him straight to our local ER. They ran all kinds of tests, got his fever down, and re-hydrated him with a couple bags of IV fluid. Again, everything came back negative. So they told me to take him home and monitor him for signs of meningitis (neck stiffness and confusion).

Monday night he had fevers on and off, but woke up Tuesday morning feeling a little better. He was still sick enough that he didn’t feel like he could make it to Eleanor‘s end of school program. Which told me, he didn’t feel good at all, because he does not miss stuff when it comes to our children. I took Eleanor and Miles and headed to the school. And at the end of the program, got a text from Eric saying that he had been having chest pain for the last 20 to 30 minutes, that he couldn’t get to go away no matter what position he was in. I went straight home and drove him to Saint Francis main ER. He couldn’t even sit still in the car. He was so uncomfortable. I was terrified. I’ve never seen him like that. When we got to the ER, they immediately started a cardiac work up, that they all expected to be negative, considering he is a young, healthy, fit individual.

Unfortunately, they did find that his cardiac enzymes were elevated. So he ended up getting admitted to the hospital. This evening, he is scheduled for a cardiac MRI so we can try to gather some more information on what is happening. The Cardiac PA came in today, and mentioned that some thing on his echo was slightly abnormal, and there is a possibility of needing a heart catheter, to get a better look.

Right now our biggest prayer request is that the cardiac MRI would give them all the information they need, making a heart catheter unnecessary. We are also praying to find the source of infection, that started all of this in the first place. Eric is strong and healthy, we know that our God will heal his body completely, and we are so incredibly blessed to have such a strong support system.

We want to say a big thank you to both sets of our parents, my sister Alissa, SF House Supervisor Ryan Powell, and our church family are who dropped absolutely everything to make sure that we had everything we have needed the past few days. Along with a few close family friends, who have reached out over and over to let us know that they are there if we need them. We are truly grateful.

UPDATE - 5/11/23:

Thank you all sooooo much for the love, prayers, and support you have all sent our way! We finally have some answers! The Chest CT showed no pulmonary embolism (blood clot in the lungs) but did show pneumonia- easily treated with antibiotics. It also showed that there might be an issue with Eric’s gallbladder- so it led to an ultrasound, which confirmed Cholecystitis. Surgery was consulted and came in this morning.

They wanted to put Eric on today's schedule for the removal of his gallbladder, but because he has been on a heparin drip (blood thinner - due to the cardiac issues), they’ve pushed surgery back to tomorrow. The echo showed Eric’s ejection fraction to be 50% - slightly lower than expected, for his age and good health. But not low enough to be concerning, considering the stress his body has been under.

The cardiac MRI showed that Eric has myocarditis - this was most likely caused by whatever virus caused the high fever and body aches. And will/should resolve on its own over time. He will have a follow up with cardiology in a month, to redo the imaging and make sure his heart is back to normal. They feel pretty confident that there was no infarction (blockage/heart attack), so the heparin drip can now be stopped - and there is no longer a need for a heart catheter.

Praise God - he heard and answered all our prayers - these are great outcomes that are very easily fixable! Eric should be feeling great again soon! And was told that our family vacation (in less than 2 weeks) to Disney World and the beach, is still a go! 🙏❤️