Author Topic: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread  (Read 554965 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread
« Reply #3500 on: January 29, 2019, 01:48:06 PM »
Is the Live at Tillburg 2017 available on CD or just the DVD?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3501 on: January 29, 2019, 02:01:36 PM »
Is the Live at Tillburg 2017 available on CD or just the DVD?

There is a DVD + 2CD version at least

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #3502 on: January 29, 2019, 02:28:43 PM »
I like that the vocals are divided between them BUT I would definiteley want each character be handled by one vocalist.
This is my main complaint on both TSOAD and TGA.

I actually think it's easier to follow which character sings what in The Astonishing than in either The Similitude of a Dream or The Great Adventure even though TA is just one vocalist.

To be honest, apart from Snow and Testimony, I don’t really attempt to follow the story of Neal’s albums in the same way as The Astonishing or SFAM so I have no idea which character is singing at any one time, I just enjoy listening to the music and don’t really concern myself with the story. That’s not to say there aren’t plenty of concept albums where I absolutely do follow the story, just not any of the recent Neal Morse ones.

Offline Thoughtspart3

« Reply #3503 on: January 29, 2019, 02:38:12 PM »
Nah, I think the way they do it is perfect.  Neal has said in several different interviews recently that often all three will sing everything and then decide who sounds best for each part and then go with that.  I think it's great to hear it bounce around from singer to singer, instead of "here, you sing this song," and "now, I sing this song."

As for the finale, Neal isn't as young as he used to be (his voice still sounds great, but I definitely sense that he can't belt it out live on a nightly basis like he used to), and it is much better having Eric sing that finale, since he will be able to do it justice live every night on the tour.  Now to mention that Eric sounds so damn great singing it that I wouldn't have wanted it any other way. :coolio

I think the way they choose the vocals works generally speaking but doesn't work as well on a concept album with a story and multiple characters.  Think of it this way.  What if you had actors read a play out loud to an audience but told them to read for different characters in each new scene.  If you are a listener woudln't that be very confusing given that each human has a distinct voice and style?  You would have to keep reorienting yourself to figure our who is who. 

I don't know, I think Neal can still do it.  Might have to adjust a little.  It is just weird following Neal all these years and not have him signing key parts, especially the emotional finale.  I know it is now The Neal Morse BAND but there is a reason it is called The NEAL MORSE band.  I do think Eric does a great job, but there is an emotional quality to Neal's voice and the way he sings that Eric doesn't have. 

I don't want to focus just on the negative.  I think having a consistent band has bumped up the quality and variety of the musicianship and composition in many ways.  I hope they stay together for awhile.  I am really loving the last couple of albums. (Well, I love all of them.

Offline Thoughtspart3

« Reply #3504 on: January 29, 2019, 02:40:37 PM »
I like that the vocals are divided between them BUT I would definiteley want each character be handled by one vocalist.
This is my main complaint on both TSOAD and TGA.

I actually think it's easier to follow which character sings what in The Astonishing than in either The Similitude of a Dream or The Great Adventure even though TA is just one vocalist.

To be honest, apart from Snow and Testimony, I don’t really attempt to follow the story of Neal’s albums in the same way as The Astonishing or SFAM so I have no idea which character is singing at any one time, I just enjoy listening to the music and don’t really concern myself with the story. That’s not to say there aren’t plenty of concept albums where I absolutely do follow the story, just not any of the recent Neal Morse ones.

Maybe the lack of vocal consistency has something to do with that?  Are you just not interested in the overall concept?

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #3505 on: January 29, 2019, 03:57:31 PM »
I don’t really know the source material and not a particularly religious person so I’m just not that interested, same with Sola Scriptura which I believe was based on another religious story. Testimony did interest me as it was Neal’s story and quite inspiring even if I don’t have that faith in my life. I really couldn’t tell you what TSOAD is about other than I’m guessing it’s about someone who finds religion and gets out of a bad situation which is kind of Neal’s own story and the story of ‘One’ as well I think. This new one seems to be about the family he left behind maybe and them ultimately joining him?

It’s nothing to do with who’s singing what, I’m just not that invested to delve into the story that much, I just love listening to the songs but don’t really know how they fit into the grand story and I’m fine with that.  The music alone is just so beautiful and uplifting to listen to and he’s one of the few artists that can regularly bring me to tears of pure joy and emotional overload.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3506 on: January 29, 2019, 05:29:57 PM »

I am the same way.  Similitude is easily one of my all-time favorites now and I still have mostly no idea what the story is (except for the obvious parts).

I think the way they choose the vocals works generally speaking but doesn't work as well on a concept album with a story and multiple characters.  Think of it this way.  What if you had actors read a play out loud to an audience but told them to read for different characters in each new scene.  If you are a listener woudln't that be very confusing given that each human has a distinct voice and style?  You would have to keep reorienting yourself to figure our who is who. 

Apples and oranges. ;)

I don't know, I think Neal can still do it.  Might have to adjust a little.  It is just weird following Neal all these years and not have him signing key parts, especially the emotional finale.  I know it is now The Neal Morse BAND but there is a reason it is called The NEAL MORSE band.  I do think Eric does a great job, but there is an emotional quality to Neal's voice and the way he sings that Eric doesn't have. 

Honestly, that threw me off at first as well when I first heard The Grand Experiment.  If you dig back through this thread, you will see that at the time I was not a fan of The Call, and I know the reason was, I was thrown by these other guys singing.  I was like, "I want Neal singing, nobody else!!"  Then I pulled my head out of my ass :lol and all was well.  Not saying your head is up yours, just offering a personal story. :)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3507 on: January 29, 2019, 05:45:22 PM »
Oh yeah, and remember when I said I found the new album underwhelming?  Seems like a long time ago (it was days :lol).  I have only been listening for five days and it is already one I would call a major grower.  NMB delivers again!  :tup :tup

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #3508 on: January 29, 2019, 06:02:32 PM »
Generally speaking, I’m happy with how the vocals are divided out on the NMB albums and it seems that Eric does get given the really big powerful moments as he can really hit those big notes and sounds awesome singing them imo, that was clear to me straight away on the first NMB album.  There is a lengthy section on TGE though, maybe in Alive Again, where Bill sings lead and it just doesn’t work for me, it really drags and would’ve sounded much better with Neal singing. Mostly though Bill is used really well and his voice suits certain parts.

I can understand the desire for Neal to sing everything and I ultimately gave up with Flying Colours because I really disliked the main singer’s voice and the album jumped up several notches every time Neal took over on lead vocals. I ultimately found it too frustrating that Neal was not singing more as it would’ve improved the songs for me and I did not buy the second album. I totally get that Mike already had Transatlantic and NMB with Neal singing lead and they wanted another singer but he’s just not my cup of tea unfortunately.

Offline Thoughtspart3

« Reply #3509 on: January 29, 2019, 08:40:30 PM »
I don’t really know the source material and not a particularly religious person so I’m just not that interested, same with Sola Scriptura which I believe was based on another religious story. Testimony did interest me as it was Neal’s story and quite inspiring even if I don’t have that faith in my life. I really couldn’t tell you what TSOAD is about other than I’m guessing it’s about someone who finds religion and gets out of a bad situation which is kind of Neal’s own story and the story of ‘One’ as well I think. This new one seems to be about the family he left behind maybe and them ultimately joining him?

It’s nothing to do with who’s singing what, I’m just not that invested to delve into the story that much, I just love listening to the songs but don’t really know how they fit into the grand story and I’m fine with that.  The music alone is just so beautiful and uplifting to listen to and he’s one of the few artists that can regularly bring me to tears of pure joy and emotional overload.

That is cool man.  One of the great things about Neal's music is that you can get real enjoyment out of it even if you are not a Christian or religious. 

You are basically right about the story.  It is loosely based on the book The Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan.  It is an allegory about a man named Christian who comes to faith and walks the path of life through all the trials and difficulties.  The end goal is to get to the celestial city(heaven) The different people Christian meets like sloth, the fool, and Apollyon(a demon) others who try to get him to go back to the city of destruction. 

The Great Adventure is based of part 2 where Christian's family go on their own journeys.  It looks like they made the decision to focus on Joseph the third son.  They have a similar journey but also meet new challenges not mentioned in the first book like vanity fair and new places like the river of God.

Offline Moor

• The more the merrier
« Reply #3510 on: January 30, 2019, 04:57:01 AM »
Here is a summary of part II of the Pilgrim's Progress book

https://www.enotes.com/homework-help/what-summary-pilgrims-progress-part-2-690466

Not sure how it matches the story told in the album; maybe we have to emphasize on the fact that TGA is just "inspired" by the PP book.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #3511 on: January 30, 2019, 05:35:35 AM »
Here is a summary of part II of the Pilgrim's Progress book

https://www.enotes.com/homework-help/what-summary-pilgrims-progress-part-2-690466

Not sure how it matches the story told in the album; maybe we have to emphasize on the fact that TGA is just "inspired" by the PP book.

As per Neal, TGA is loosely based on the story.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3512 on: January 30, 2019, 08:22:56 AM »
That is another great thing about Neal: as into religion as he is, he still seems to get that the music is what counts the most.  Very rarely do I come away from his songs thinking that he took the "lyrics first, music second" approach, worship albums notwithstanding (I've only heard one, but I can't imagine the others are dissimilar in that regard).

Offline Hourglass Prison

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3513 on: January 30, 2019, 08:54:46 AM »
Are we talking about the same "Bill"?  The guy who plays keyboards and fancies newsboy caps ala Brian Johnson of AC/DC?

Because when I saw them live - Ridgefield Playhouse, Ridgefield CT - there didn't seem to be that kind of strain and he sounded eerily like Peter Gabriel, thus providing a (pretty cool) contrast to Neal and Eric.

I kinda had this same thought when I saw them as well.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3514 on: January 30, 2019, 10:33:40 AM »
Oh yeah, and remember when I said I found the new album underwhelming?  Seems like a long time ago (it was days :lol).  I have only been listening for five days and it is already one I would call a major grower.  NMB delivers again!  :tup :tup

I’m digging it more and more with each listen. Had a bunch of travel time the past two days and have had a chance to listen uninterrupted and on a system other than ear buds and it’s helpwd me appreciate it even more.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline DT2003

« Reply #3515 on: January 30, 2019, 05:16:41 PM »
Absolutely love the album already. TSoaD is one of my all time favorite albums and time will tell how this holds up to that, but so far I’m loving it.

In regards to Bill’s vocals, I love them. When I first heard NMB I wasn’t sure how I felt about other singers taking vocal spots away from Neal as I love his voice so much, but I think Neal, Eric, and Bill’s vocals compliment each other so well that it adds a new dynamic to their music.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3516 on: January 30, 2019, 08:26:37 PM »

I’m digging it more and more with each listen. Had a bunch of travel time the past two days and have had a chance to listen uninterrupted and on a system other than ear buds and it’s helpwd me appreciate it even more.

Cranking it up in the car this week has helped, although this damn cold weather and snow put the kabosh on that for today. >:(

Offline dedSurroun

• Words To Clear Your Mind
  • Walking Out Of The Machinery
« Reply #3517 on: January 31, 2019, 03:01:35 AM »
And so, little by little, and with each passing listen...

TGA > TSOAD, any day of the week.

This will be true for 99 out of 100 fans of NMB.
And now I've only habits left
to break

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #3518 on: January 31, 2019, 07:39:04 AM »
I probably have a solid 10 listens in and I don't think I can say TGA>TSOAD. I really like Mikes comment on it being a great companion piece. I need to get a better feeling for the story but I just see this surpassing TSOAD for me personally. I really like TGA and we'll see how it comes off live but I think TSOAD has a bit more of an emotional punch than TGA. Either way, the two together are better than 99% of the rest of my music collection.  I'm going to do a listen of them both back to back now.

Offline Thoughtspart3

« Reply #3519 on: January 31, 2019, 07:50:27 AM »
Has anyone bought the hi-res versions from the Radiant site?  How was the mix mastering on them? 

The CD version and other downloads have been some of the least compressed of any of Neal's albums since the Spock's Beard days.  It has been an encouraging trend. I think the mix is very solid as well.  Overall I really like the production.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3520 on: January 31, 2019, 08:24:58 AM »

I highly doubt it.

Has anyone bought the hi-res versions from the Radiant site?  How was the mix mastering on them? 

The CD version and other downloads have been some of the least compressed of any of Neal's albums since the Spock's Beard days.  It has been an encouraging trend. I think the mix is very solid as well.  Overall I really like the production.

The first four Spock's albums do not sound bad per se (although Kindness is kinda loud and cluttery-sounding at times), but the leap from Day for Night to the first Transatlantic album and V (which came out months apart) was significant as far as sound quality goes, and it has been consistently really good ever since.  I never have to worry about a Neal Morse(-related) album sounding too loud or compressed or noisy.

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #3521 on: January 31, 2019, 10:37:40 AM »

well not me, lol.  i think it's a great album.  and what i love i REALLY love.  but i still think it's a tad rushed and inferior to TSOAD.  which is perfect and now my fav double album.

TGA is stuck at 8/10 for me.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #3522 on: January 31, 2019, 11:20:59 AM »
I definitely don't think TGA is rushed considering how much time and re-work they put into it.

Online Mladen

« Reply #3523 on: January 31, 2019, 01:58:10 PM »
I'm liking it so far but can't imagine it being more than 8/10. Then again, no point in such numbers. It's still an album I enjoy putting on.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3524 on: January 31, 2019, 06:22:08 PM »
Talk is that they have something really special planned for the encore on the upcoming tour. Can't wait to see what it is.  Our show is in 27 days and the tour starts in two!! :hat

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #3525 on: January 31, 2019, 06:52:55 PM »

THAT is some statement....... :facepalm:

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #3526 on: January 31, 2019, 06:56:40 PM »

and the last part is probably just flt flase.

Offline Thoughtspart3

« Reply #3527 on: January 31, 2019, 07:36:41 PM »
Talk is that they have something really special planned for the encore on the upcoming tour. Can't wait to see what it is.  Our show is in 27 days and the tour starts in two!! :hat

That is exciting!  On the SOAD tour what did they do as the encore?

I am kicking myself that I missed it.  Not making the same mistake this year.   :metal 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3528 on: January 31, 2019, 07:44:15 PM »
   On the SOAD tour what did they do as the encore?

IIRC, The Call was played every night as the final encore, and some nights also had Author of Confusion and Agenda.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 08:06:48 PM by KevShmev »

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #3529 on: January 31, 2019, 08:01:16 PM »

IIRC, The Call was played every night as the final encore, and some nights also had Author Confusion and Agenda.

Yeah, a combination of Momentum, Author of Confusion, Agenda, and The Call. Not all were played every night. (I think only Tilburg had all four)
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3530 on: January 31, 2019, 08:06:40 PM »
Oh yeah, I forgot about Momentum. :facepalm:

I am pretty sure The Call was played every night no matter what.

Offline DT2003

« Reply #3531 on: January 31, 2019, 09:23:37 PM »

and the last part is probably just flt flase.
Yeah it’s incredibly innacurate. Nothing against TGA as it’s a masterpiece as well, but TSoaD is perfect.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #3532 on: January 31, 2019, 10:25:08 PM »

IIRC, The Call was played every night as the final encore, and some nights also had Author Confusion and Agenda.

Yeah, a combination of Momentum, Author of Confusion, Agenda, and The Call. Not all were played every night. (I think only Tilburg had all four)

This seems correct. At Morsefest, they did not play all four, but all four were rotated in and out for the encore, with The Call being played every night at the end. Both Mike and Neal know how much the Tilburg audience LOVES their encores, and so it seems like every time they tour there, they get a bigger encore (or a double encore) than anywhere else on tour, so the TSOAD Live show from Tilburg features all four songs (despite what the erroneous packaging says).

For the The Great AdvenTOUR encore, I can see them doing something similar, but hopefully with DIFFERENT songs, though I would NOT put it past them to do a 15-25 minute medley of TSOAD songs, which would be a nice way to end the night if they close out with "Broken Sky / Long Day (Reprise)" since the opening of the TGA "Overture" features the closing lyrics to that song, it would be a fitting bookend!

Now that I think about it, I honestly expect them to arrange a 20-ish minute TSOAD Medley as the encore, though I would love to be wrong and be surprised with something else entirely!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3533 on: January 31, 2019, 10:37:29 PM »
I’d love to see ‘The Door’ from Sola Scriptura as the encore song.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Moor

• The more the merrier
« Reply #3534 on: February 01, 2019, 07:14:12 AM »
I probably have a solid 10 listens in and I don't think I can say TGA>TSOAD. I really like Mikes comment on it being a great companion piece. I need to get a better feeling for the story but I just see this surpassing TSOAD for me personally. I really like TGA and we'll see how it comes off live but I think TSOAD has a bit more of an emotional punch than TGA. Either way, the two together are better than 99% of the rest of my music collection.  I'm going to do a listen of them both back to back now.

Totally agree with this, in particular I believe that the main and probably only difference is that TSOAD is somehow more emotional. I listened this morning to 'Broken Sky/Long Day Reprise' and it brought tears to my eyes.