Author Topic: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread  (Read 539532 times)

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread
« Reply #2730 on: April 28, 2018, 12:08:30 AM »
Anyone willing to do a review of the Tilburg show? (AUDIO ONLY)
Clean mix, there is plenty of room for the mix to breathe. It is not compressed to death. Eric did a very nice mix.

I know, I have the files, what I want it’s someone willing to write a review and I will send that someone the audio files.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2731 on: April 28, 2018, 06:58:59 AM »
I guess I'm the opposite of kaos and kev. I very rarely sit down and actually watch live concert DVDs anymore. Most of my music listening is done either while I'm traveling somewhere, while I'm at my desk at work, or if I go out for a walk/run. If it's a good live album it'll have certain quirks that I'll be in the mood for over the studio album sometimes.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2732 on: April 28, 2018, 07:15:54 AM »
I rarely watch live DVDs anymore either, but I am still more likely to watch one than listen to a live CD most of the time. There are probably 30-40 songs in my head that I gravitate towards the live version most of the time, and U2 probably has half of those. :lol :lol

Offline utopiarun

« Reply #2733 on: May 02, 2018, 09:44:13 AM »
Got this email yesterday from Radiant/Neal about streaming. BTW I voted no, I already pay for Spotify for my family and have Neal and Spock's downloaded on my phone. I think $5.99 is a bit much for just a couple of artists.

Hello everyone,

In the classic Monty Python sketch from the film "Monty Python and the Holy Grail," a man is trying to place his elderly relative on a heap of dead people while the man cries out "I'm not dead!" Right before the old man gets whacked on the head by the young man he cries, "I feel happy...I feel.." THUD.

This is the sketch that comes to mind when I think about the old model of the music business in which people bought albums and CDs and such.

It's not entirely dead but it's really close. Agreed?

Case in point: I gave my daughter one of my new CDs, "Life & Times", and she said to me, "Dad, I love this CD, (as she is obligated to say as some of the songs are about her) but.. what am I supposed to DO with it?" What she meant was, if I can't go directly onto my phone and access it anywhere, immediately, then I'm not sure how to go about listening.

I told her, "load it onto a computer, then put it on your phone". She looked at me incredulous, "That is WAY too hard" she replied. "Besides, my computer doesn't even HAVE a CD drive."

Now, first of all, I'm not against streaming. I think it's wonderful! I love to sit in my recliner and choose whatever songs or whatever albums I want to listen to from my chair and be able to adjust the volume without having to get up. I've recently gotten into vinyl again, but, man, every 20 minutes you have to actually get up and WALK ACROSS THE ROOM to change the record! Unthinkable! This is much too difficult. So, I love streaming as well as anyone. It's tremendously convenient and sounds good as well.

Of course, streaming is great for the listener but doesn't compensate the artists much, if at all.

Just for an example, here's a screen shot of a recent royalty statement I received.

Notice the $0.0004. I can't even figure out how to SAY how small of an amount that is. Is that one fourth of one thousandth of a penny? Who decides these things? Crazy. Anyway...As an artist who is not Metallica or Taylor Swift this doesn't really make any sense...or to quote a song, it makes..."zero sense". Or "zero cents," haha.

So, like everyone in the entertainment business, I have been wondering, what do we do now? How do we survive? How can we pay the tremendous costs of making quality albums and live? Mega-skilled artists such as Steve Hackett and Rich Mouser don't come cheap. And they shouldn't.

Answer: create my own streaming service. My objective is simple: to provide a great streaming experience that is complete, super high quality and easy to use on multiple formats. Not to compete with the big streaming services, but to give fans of my music a similar experience, anywhere in the world.

My current plan is to build my own thing, then use Spotify, Apple Music, Amazon etc. as a kind of advertising tool and put a smattering of material there so people can become aware and hopefully sign up for the streaming service. Or get the actual albums. Whatever they prefer.

What we want to give people is the supreme experience of being able to listen to any of the music from my catalog, including classic Spock's Beard, Transatlantic and the Neal Morse Band, anytime from anywhere and not have to get out of their recliner. This is the great goal of modern life!

I NEED YOUR HELP:
I'm taking a poll! Please let me know if you would be interested in subscribing to the proposed music app at a cost of, let's say, $5.99 a month. (Of course, there will be a special discount for Inner Circle members. No obligation of course!)
Are you interested in the Radiant Streaming app?
Yes
Select

No
Select

Are you an Inner Circle Member?
Yes
Select

No

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2734 on: May 02, 2018, 09:59:53 AM »
No and No.  Reinventing the wheel for a small audience... I don't see it working out.

Just choose to stream with whoever pays the most and leave the ones giving you virtually nothing so you can avoid doing the programming and infrastructure yourself.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2735 on: May 02, 2018, 12:48:56 PM »
OMG his daughter has the new generation syndrome of..."But it's too hard." Whats so hard about turning on your laptop, opening Itunes, inserting into disc drive (which can be bought separately), if you have internet the info is brought up so no need to input it yourself, and click import.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2736 on: May 02, 2018, 07:15:32 PM »
I put this in the picture thread, but I will put it here, too: the pic I got with Neal after the show (he sat at the merch stand and let every single fan say hi, talk and take a pic).

That's what he did at my show back in February except he seemed a lot more exhausted after my show. Felt really bad about bothering him.  He was wearing the same clothes too.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2737 on: May 02, 2018, 07:33:22 PM »
Got this email yesterday from Radiant/Neal about streaming. BTW I voted no, I already pay for Spotify for my family and have Neal and Spock's downloaded on my phone. I think $5.99 is a bit much for just a couple of artists.

Hello everyone,

In the classic Monty Python sketch from the film "Monty Python and the Holy Grail," a man is trying to place his elderly relative on a heap of dead people while the man cries out "I'm not dead!" Right before the old man gets whacked on the head by the young man he cries, "I feel happy...I feel.." THUD.

This is the sketch that comes to mind when I think about the old model of the music business in which people bought albums and CDs and such.

It's not entirely dead but it's really close. Agreed?

Case in point: I gave my daughter one of my new CDs, "Life & Times", and she said to me, "Dad, I love this CD, (as she is obligated to say as some of the songs are about her) but.. what am I supposed to DO with it?" What she meant was, if I can't go directly onto my phone and access it anywhere, immediately, then I'm not sure how to go about listening.

I told her, "load it onto a computer, then put it on your phone". She looked at me incredulous, "That is WAY too hard" she replied. "Besides, my computer doesn't even HAVE a CD drive."

Now, first of all, I'm not against streaming. I think it's wonderful! I love to sit in my recliner and choose whatever songs or whatever albums I want to listen to from my chair and be able to adjust the volume without having to get up. I've recently gotten into vinyl again, but, man, every 20 minutes you have to actually get up and WALK ACROSS THE ROOM to change the record! Unthinkable! This is much too difficult. So, I love streaming as well as anyone. It's tremendously convenient and sounds good as well.

Of course, streaming is great for the listener but doesn't compensate the artists much, if at all.

Just for an example, here's a screen shot of a recent royalty statement I received.

Notice the $0.0004. I can't even figure out how to SAY how small of an amount that is. Is that one fourth of one thousandth of a penny? Who decides these things? Crazy. Anyway...As an artist who is not Metallica or Taylor Swift this doesn't really make any sense...or to quote a song, it makes..."zero sense". Or "zero cents," haha.

So, like everyone in the entertainment business, I have been wondering, what do we do now? How do we survive? How can we pay the tremendous costs of making quality albums and live? Mega-skilled artists such as Steve Hackett and Rich Mouser don't come cheap. And they shouldn't.

Answer: create my own streaming service. My objective is simple: to provide a great streaming experience that is complete, super high quality and easy to use on multiple formats. Not to compete with the big streaming services, but to give fans of my music a similar experience, anywhere in the world.

My current plan is to build my own thing, then use Spotify, Apple Music, Amazon etc. as a kind of advertising tool and put a smattering of material there so people can become aware and hopefully sign up for the streaming service. Or get the actual albums. Whatever they prefer.

What we want to give people is the supreme experience of being able to listen to any of the music from my catalog, including classic Spock's Beard, Transatlantic and the Neal Morse Band, anytime from anywhere and not have to get out of their recliner. This is the great goal of modern life!

I NEED YOUR HELP:
I'm taking a poll! Please let me know if you would be interested in subscribing to the proposed music app at a cost of, let's say, $5.99 a month. (Of course, there will be a special discount for Inner Circle members. No obligation of course!)
Are you interested in the Radiant Streaming app?
Yes
Select

No
Select

Are you an Inner Circle Member?
Yes
Select

No

Was an Inner Circle Member since the beginning but quit after the releases became all digital so I'm probably not eligible to vote no on this.

I get what he's trying to do with it but I've always been against paying for the intangibility of something like this.  (Lower the overhead.)

You want to sell me a CD or DVD? Fine. But a digital file is useless to me if I have to pay for it and it ain't all that useful to me when I don't. I even put that in my Inner Circle resignation email.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2738 on: May 02, 2018, 08:01:15 PM »
OMG his daughter has the new generation syndrome of..."But it's too hard." Whats so hard about turning on your laptop, opening Itunes, inserting into disc drive (which can be bought separately), if you have internet the info is brought up so no need to input it yourself, and click import.

She said to him that her computer doesn't have a disc reader

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2739 on: May 02, 2018, 08:20:27 PM »
I put this in the picture thread, but I will put it here, too: the pic I got with Neal after the show (he sat at the merch stand and let every single fan say hi, talk and take a pic).

That's what he did at my show back in February except he seemed a lot more exhausted after my show. Felt really bad about bothering him.  He was wearing the same clothes too.

I kept my chit chat with him pretty short.  Thanked him for playing Emma, said I had been a fan for like 18 years, and then asked if we could take the pic.  He doesn't need 100 people engaging him in long conversations.  I don't get star struck anyway, although it was cool to meet him.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2740 on: May 03, 2018, 10:41:53 AM »

She said to him that her computer doesn't have a disc reader

You can buy one...I had to do that. Which is weird how modern laptops don't come with one.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2741 on: June 09, 2018, 05:29:33 AM »
Just got the email that the new pre-order DVD and CD shipped yesterday! :metal

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2742 on: June 09, 2018, 11:53:24 AM »
My signed 2CD/2DVD set just came in the mail! I'm a bit miffed that the spine has a dent down the middle due to shipping and just how the digipak is designed, but oh well...

What's more disappointing is that the encore isn't on the CDs! And even then, it's missing "Agenda". Lame...

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2743 on: June 09, 2018, 12:04:37 PM »
My signed 2CD/2DVD set just came in the mail! I'm a bit miffed that the spine has a dent down the middle due to shipping and just how the digipak is designed, but oh well...

What's more disappointing is that the encore isn't on the CDs! And even then, it's missing "Agenda". Lame...

-Marc.

The encores are on both the CDs and the DVDs, including Agenda

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2744 on: June 09, 2018, 12:07:18 PM »
I really wished they had a Blu-ray/CD set. I will be ordering this soon. I still haven't watched the Spock's Beard one from last year.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2745 on: June 09, 2018, 02:08:55 PM »

-Marc.

The encores are on both the CDs and the DVDs, including Agenda

Really? Then why does the back of the case list the encores as DVD-only? Weird...

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2746 on: June 10, 2018, 02:18:50 AM »
I haven't purchased the thing yet, but I would never care about Agenda... It's one of the worst songs I know of Neal :D

There were, however, some MAJOR errors on the back of the Snow Live vinyl, too. The tracklist was completely wrong and it didn't include Falling For Forever, which in fact IS on the album's last side  :lol
any rock can be made to roll

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2747 on: June 10, 2018, 08:36:09 PM »
I haven't purchased the thing yet, but I would never care about Agenda... It's one of the worst songs I know of Neal :D

Definitely his worst song :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2748 on: June 10, 2018, 11:38:21 PM »
Update on the CD tracklist:
Disc 1 is 66:17 long and contains 15 tracks - all of disc 1 of TSOAD plus the first two tracks of disc 2, with a perfect segue between the first and second sets (no break like with the DVDs)
Disc 2 is 79:28 and contains the remaining TSOAD tracks, as well as all 4 encore songs

Now this brings up the question of how/when the packaging was designed because it doesn't mention Agenda at all, states that the CDs do NOT feature the encore, are split like the original studio album, and are oddly numbered starting with 0 as the first track...

What a mess.

-Marc.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2749 on: June 11, 2018, 01:20:59 AM »
Disc 1 is 66:17 long and contains 15 tracks - all of disc 1 of TSOAD plus the first two tracks of disc 2, with a perfect segue between the first and second sets (no break like with the DVDs)
Disc 2 is 79:28 and contains the remaining TSOAD tracks, as well as all 4 encore songs

Now this brings up the question of how/when the packaging was designed because it doesn't mention Agenda at all, states that the CDs do NOT feature the encore, are split like the original studio album, and are oddly numbered starting with 0 as the first track...

What a mess.

-Marc.

That's exactly what happened with Snow  :lol Ah well, I was happy when Falling For Forever was on there after all ;)

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2750 on: June 11, 2018, 12:14:35 PM »

What a mess.

-Marc.

That's exactly what happened with Snow  :lol Ah well, I was happy when Falling For Forever was on there after all ;)

:facepalm:

Ah well. There would've been a fairly easy way to denote which tracks were on which discs.

_________         ______
   |Long Day                 |
   |Overture                 |
   |The Dream                 |
   |City Of Destruction       |
D |We Have Got To Go      |   
V |Makes No Sense          |
D |Draw The Line            |
1 |The Slough                  |C
   |Back To The City          |D
   |The Ways Of A Fool       |1
   |So Far Gone                  |
   |Breath Of Angels          |
   |_______                      |
   ________                     |
   |Slave To Your Mind       |
   |Shortcut To Salvation__|_________
   |The Man In The Iron Cage           |
   |The Road Called Home                   |
   |Sloth                                           |
D |Freedom Song                           |
V |I'm Running                                   |
D |The Mask                                   |C
2 |Confrontation                           |D
   |The Battle                                   |2
   |Broken Sky / Long Day (Reprise)     |
   |                                                    |
   |Momentum                                    |
   |Author Of Confusion                       |
   |Agenda                                         |
   |The Call                                        |
   |________                    _________|

(Sorry the text doesn't quite line up...lol)

-Marc.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2751 on: June 11, 2018, 09:38:35 PM »
Got mine this afternoon...then promptly had to leave for work.... :lol  I watched about 20 mins, looks really good!  Listened to one of the CD's coming in  :tup

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2752 on: June 13, 2018, 10:47:15 AM »
Which release is this?  I lost track.  Is it The Similitude of a Dream Live In Tilburg 2017?  I'll need to pick that up.

I am just revisiting Similitude this morning after a bit of an unintentional break.  Man, I love this album.  Breath of Angels is interesting and stands out though, and not in the way intended.  It is obviously supposed to be the big, emotional conclusion to Act I.  But to me, it sounds like it is trying so hard to be that kind of track that it ends up just being a stereotype and not having the emotional impact intended.  It's not a bad song.  But I just find it hard to emotionally invest in.

"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2753 on: June 13, 2018, 11:54:34 AM »
Which release is this?  I lost track.  Is it The Similitude of a Dream Live In Tilburg 2017?  I'll need to pick that up.

I am just revisiting Similitude this morning after a bit of an unintentional break.  Man, I love this album.  Breath of Angels is interesting and stands out though, and not in the way intended.  It is obviously supposed to be the big, emotional conclusion to Act I.  But to me, it sounds like it is trying so hard to be that kind of track that it ends up just being a stereotype and not having the emotional impact intended.  It's not a bad song.  But I just find it hard to emotionally invest in.

Same for me. I feel like they tried to replicate the ending of Peaceful Harbor and failed at it. When I listen to TSOAD, I always skip BOA, to be honest. Feels like a forced climax.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2754 on: June 13, 2018, 01:12:17 PM »
Unfortunately, Similitude didn't pass the test of time for me... It's obviously a great album, but I just don't have the urge to go back listening to it. I hope that changes at some point.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2755 on: June 13, 2018, 01:33:05 PM »
Unfortunately, Similitude didn't pass the test of time for me... It's obviously a great album, but I just don't have the urge to go back listening to it. I hope that changes at some point.

I really like most of disc 1, but disc 2 is just meh for the most part. The only two songs I really enjoy from disc 2 are Slave to Your Mind and The Mask.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2756 on: June 13, 2018, 05:42:12 PM »
Breath of Angels certainly has that "been there, done that" feel to it as far as Neal is concerned, but I don't care; it's still a killer tune.  And there are elements of it that make it unique in Neal's catalogue: that acoustic lead that is unusual for a Neal song, Eric's guitar solo, etc.  I also love how that acoustic lead not only begins and ends the song, but acts as a bridge between part 1 and part 2.

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #2757 on: June 13, 2018, 05:47:24 PM »
I know I’m in the minority but the last Neal album I really loved was Momentum.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #2758 on: June 13, 2018, 06:36:45 PM »
I know I’m in the minority but the last Neal album I really loved was Momentum.

You're probably right about being in a minority, but I'm in there with you. Momentum is his masterpiece to me.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2759 on: June 14, 2018, 12:59:28 AM »
Momentum has two of the best Neal songs, Thoughts and World Without End. But other than that...

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2760 on: June 14, 2018, 05:53:15 AM »
Momentum has two of the best Neal songs, Thoughts and World Without End. But other than that...

Bingo.  Those two songs are terrific, and while the rest of the album is good, it's not  "OMG, amazing" to where I can call it even one of his best, which, of course, is no shame when you consider how phenomenal his catalogue is.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2761 on: June 14, 2018, 08:26:29 AM »
I love Momentum as well. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #2762 on: June 15, 2018, 08:14:33 AM »
Momentum is at the bottom of the pile for me. I'd be okay not hearing any of those songs again. I like Momentum, Smoke and Mirrors, and Weathering Sky well enough, but they're just okay. World Without End is mind-bogglingly boring for me. My least favorite epic, maybe my least favorite song, by Neal.

Since then, however, both NMB albums have been top notch. Different strokes indeed.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2763 on: June 15, 2018, 08:30:58 AM »
Momentum is at the bottom of the pile for me. I'd be okay not hearing any of those songs again. I like Momentum, Smoke and Mirrors, and Weathering Sky well enough, but they're just okay. World Without End is mind-bogglingly boring for me. My least favorite epic, maybe my least favorite song, by Neal.

Since then, however, both NMB albums have been top notch. Different strokes indeed.

I rank The Grand Experiment among Momentum. The Call is one of Neals best songs for me, so is Thoughts V. I like WWE better than Alive Again. The Grand Experiment and Agenda are among those songs I just don't care for. Agenda being one of Neals worst songs. Waterfall is a good song, with nice vocal harmonies. Momentum is a typical Morse rocker a la Day For Night, and the instrumental section saves it (that also means that the single edit of Momentum is totally useless for me). Smoke and Mirrors sounds too much like Kansas; nice little ballad, nothing more. Freak: same as Agenda. Weathering Sky: same as The Grand Experiment.

My least favorite Neal Morse 20min+ song is either So Many Roads or A Whole Nother Trip.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #2764 on: June 15, 2018, 09:13:10 AM »
My least favorite Neal Morse 20min+ song is either So Many Roads or A Whole Nother Trip.

Crazy... So Many Roads is my favorite, and AWNT is really good. Love Mr. Upside Down!
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.