Author Topic: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread  (Read 539521 times)

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
Re: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread
« Reply #1155 on: October 13, 2012, 01:15:16 PM »

However, Crazy Horses with Portnoy on vocals?

That was the low point of the show. I found it embarrassing in the context of what Neal had achieved on this evening. It was out of place and too self indulgent for Mike. I would think he would be perceptive enough to understand it wasn't the right place for that.
Other than that the night was flawless in my estimations.

I think Neal indulges him way too much, especially when it comes to singing and whatnot.  It's like two friends at a karaoke bar, and even though one of them knows the other really can't sing very well, he insists his friend do it, just for shits and giggles and, in their minds, a bit of fun.  Fun is good, but that song have to have stuck out like a sore thumb, and as an encore? Yikes.
Exactly. Mike tends to have that bar band mentality a lot. It was painful to watch.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #1156 on: October 17, 2012, 03:41:41 PM »
Neal Morse's new Christmas album is now available as an mp3 download from Radiant Records.  I'll probably do this to save some money ($10 as opposed to almost $20 after shipping)....

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1157 on: October 17, 2012, 07:29:57 PM »
but the album cover is worth the 20 dollars alone!

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #1158 on: October 21, 2012, 10:44:43 PM »
The new Christmas album is really good. I love The Little Drummer Boy.

"Shall I play for you pa rum pun pum pum
....On my drum...
*drum solo*
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1159 on: November 01, 2012, 12:29:40 PM »

Funny you say this because now Sony had a fit about all the celebrities photoshopped onto the original cover so they are recalling them and only Radiant Records is able to sell the remaining stock, while new issues of the album will have a new cover, which will be released world wide later this month. You can check out the new (less-exciting) cover on the Radiant Records website.

As a side note, I got this album in the mail today! Can't wait to pump this one up and give it a spin tonight!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #1160 on: November 03, 2012, 07:10:02 PM »
I finally got Momentum today. I was holding off due to the fairly lukewarm responses and my expectations for it were pretty low. I had heard  the title track (which I didn't like at first but its growing on me) and Thoughts Part 5 (loved it). After one listen, I think its a pretty good album. Sure, its pretty derivative of his older stuff and unoriginal but I still enjoyed it. Freak was a pretty cool song as were the Weathering Sky and Smoke & Mirrors. World Without End is going to take a few listens before I can really form an opinion on it though. All in all, I was pleasantly surprised.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1161 on: November 04, 2012, 02:31:32 AM »
I knew it must be something ridiculous, so I checked it out and laughed my ass off, I didn't expect it's that hilarious.  :lol

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #1162 on: November 06, 2012, 07:27:43 AM »
I listened to a part of The Door this morning in the bus. The last five minutes might be the best five of Neal's discography. Do you agree?  :)
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline r0cken

« Reply #1163 on: November 06, 2012, 08:08:57 AM »
pretty cool song as were the Weathering Sky and Smoke & Mirrors.
Oh yeah, these two totally got stuck in my head after a couple of spins. I really need to get back to this album, and give it a proper listen. Or two. Or ten.

Unrelated, my favorite album is "One".

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1164 on: November 06, 2012, 08:55:39 AM »
I listened to a part of The Door this morning in the bus. The last five minutes might be the best five of Neal's discography. Do you agree?  :)

It might be the best 5 minutes of anyone's discography.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1165 on: November 06, 2012, 08:58:19 AM »
Neal Morse's new Christmas album is now available as an mp3 download from Radiant Records.  I'll probably do this to save some money ($10 as opposed to almost $20 after shipping)....

Is it a new Christmas album, or a reworked version of the last one?

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1166 on: November 06, 2012, 09:06:54 AM »

Is it a new Christmas album, or a reworked version of the last one?

It's most of the songs from his Inner Circle Release last winter, but featuring 3 new songs and real instruments recorded by Mike Portnoy, Pete Trewavas, Roine Stolt, Steve Hackett, Steve Morse and many more! It's a great album and a fine addition!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1167 on: November 06, 2012, 09:13:01 AM »
Someone posted this on Neal's forum:

When Neal released the first version of the Proggy Christmas, he was getting many e-mails, and posts on the Inner Circle forum alluding to there not being a real drummer, but having a drum machine instead.  Neal felt like he would have wanted to put real drums to it but didn't have enough time to get it out to us as scheduled.  Later, Neal decided to re-release and to polish up this release.  There are many considerable differences.  The biggest being that there are so many well known musicians playing on this release.  It includes the three other Transatlantic guys, plus Steve Morse.  I love both releases, but it's great to have Mike on the drums!  I personally love this side of Neal, ala the instrumental album side.  He's got several instrumental albums through the Inner Circle.  It's fun to just play it in the background and get some things done in the meantime.  The Shred Ride is so cool!  There were some differences in the tracklist.  Neal is a busy guy, so I don't expect him to do all of these things with his solo album, Flying Colors, writing Transatlantic material, being a family man, and then come up with a whole new list of Christmas songs.  I'm happy either way :-)  He truly is one of the most prolific songwriters I know of!

New Songs on 2012 are highlighted blue
Songs on 2011 but not on 2012 are highlighted green
Songs with no highlight are on both releases

2011 Release Tracklist:

01 – Carol Of The Bells
02 – O Holy Night
03 – The Little Drummer Boy
04 – Hark! The Herald Angels Sing
05 – Home For The Holidays
06 – Shred Ride
07 – Lo, How A Rose E’er Blooming
08 – Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!
09 – God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen O Come Emmanuel

10 – The Christmas Song

2012 Release Tracklist:

01 – Joy to the World
02 – The Little Drummer Boy
03 – O Holy Night
04 – Frankincense
05 – Hark the Herald Angels Sing
06 – The Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting On An Open Fire)
07 – Carol of the Bells
08 – Home for the Holidays
09 – Shred Ride - Sled Ride/Winter Wonderland
10 – Silent Night/We All Need Some Light
Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1168 on: November 06, 2012, 01:06:39 PM »

I don't.  In fact, to me, the best part of The Door is the part right before that: the "Keep Silent" section.  But the "Upon the Door" section is pretty great, too.  :tup :tup

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #1169 on: November 07, 2012, 10:00:22 AM »

I don't.  In fact, to me, the best part of The Door is the part right before that: the "Keep Silent" section.  But the "Upon the Door" section is pretty great, too.  :tup :tup

When I first discovered Neal Morse (around the time Lifeline was being released, maybe even a little before) I read in reviews that Sola Sciptura was a step in the wrong direction from NM, feeling autoderivative and formulaic. After many years I think Sola is at least on par with the album I consider NM's best, "?".
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1170 on: November 07, 2012, 10:03:26 AM »
If SS was a step in the wrong direction, I don't ever want Neal to be right.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1171 on: November 12, 2012, 07:56:21 PM »
I wasn't a fan of it at first, but I like Thoughts Part 5 quite a bit now.  Cranking it up in the car, as opposed to listening at home, made a big difference. :tup :tup

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1172 on: November 12, 2012, 09:37:39 PM »
I wasn't a fan of it at first, but I like Thoughts Part 5 quite a bit now.  Cranking it up in the car, as opposed to listening at home, made a big difference. :tup :tup

:tup

Great song, although the ending kind of fizzles out. I kind of wish it was a bit of a more definite ending, but having a fizzly ending is definitely different than the other "Thoughts" songs and many Neal Morse songs in general. This album has aged well with me, more so than Lifeline, but I revisited that album a couple months ago and found it a bit better than I used to, especially the ballads. Of course, "Lifeline", "Leviathan" and "So Many Roads" will always be tops for me. I even like the 2 bonus tracks! I almost wish "Sometimes He Waits" and "Set The Kingdom" had been on the album instead of "God's Love" and "Children Of The Chosen".

-Marc.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1173 on: November 13, 2012, 01:44:28 AM »
Thoughts part 5 is great, my favorite song on Momentum next to the obvious choice. I love the outro, some of the riffs are killer, and what can be said about the verses. The third time the vocal harmonies kick in, with that straight drumming, that just rocks.  :metal

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1174 on: November 13, 2012, 10:32:14 AM »
Yeah, the ending of Thoughts Part 5 is a bit strange, the way it just kind of fizzles out, but it is a bit different for Neal, so I'll take it.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1175 on: November 18, 2012, 10:49:09 AM »
One of the most genius Christmas songs ever!
"Frankincense" :metal

https://vk.com/video-2704377_163704026

Offline Ħ

« Reply #1176 on: November 18, 2012, 10:58:00 AM »
After listening to Momentum a few times, it's got some nice parts. But on the whole, it's nothing new as people said. Particularly World Without End. It's a carbon copy of Seeds Of Gold, which is a carbon copy of So Many Roads. It's basically Lifeline 2.0 but not as good (and Lifeline was that great to start with).
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1177 on: November 18, 2012, 11:07:42 AM »
After listening to Momentum a few times, it's got some nice parts. But on the whole, it's nothing new as people said. Particularly World Without End. It's a carbon copy of Seeds Of Gold, which is a carbon copy of So Many Roads. It's basically Lifeline 2.0 but not as good (and Lifeline was that great to start with).
I'm too big a fan to be objective I guess. I love Momentum!!!
Did you listen to the song I just posted?

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1178 on: November 18, 2012, 11:13:37 AM »

So wait... you like Lifeline over Momentum??

I think the latter has a few more highs than the former, and not as many (if any) lows. Sure, the epic is pretty long but it's still a BIT different from it's 2 recent predecessors, and it's less like "The Great Nothing" than "So Many Roads" ties to be. "Seeds Of Gold" remains different altogether because it lacks definitive movements, and with that mindset, it sounds like a more cohesive song with smoother transitions than "World Without End" and "So Many Roads" are.

And, if I can humor myself (and everyone else):

Lifeline VS Momentum - Momentum (and I'm glad Neal cut the slow piano-solo-section from the middle to make it LESS like "Lifeline"
Leviathan VS Thoughts Part 5 - Thoughts...these are the heavy rockers of their albums, and Thoughts does it slightly better than Leviathan, although props to Leviathan for being a bit different.
So Many Roads VS World Without End - tie...WWE is a bit long, but it's got some GREAT parts and hooks, but so does SMR.
The Way Home/God's Love/Children Of The Chosen/Fly High VS Smoke And Mirrors/Weathering Sky/Freak - the Momentum tracks because they're all so different from each other, but I couldn't really recall any defining characteristics of the LL tracks, except for maybe the chorus to COTC...they're so homogeneous, but S&M is quite different from WS, and Freak is so unique with it's quirky verses with strings. I will say that I do recall liking Fly High, though...but that's about it.

Winner - Momentum

And to be honest, I was never that on-board with Lifeline to begin with... it was rather lackluster after 3 great albums like One, ? and Sola Scriptura, and with Testimony 2 coming after it, it just looked a bit worse by comparison. At least HALF of the album is pretty good-to-great (title track, Leviathan and SMR).

-Marc.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 11:30:43 AM by The Letter M »

Offline Ħ

« Reply #1179 on: November 18, 2012, 11:19:44 AM »
 :lol Nice stuff!
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1180 on: November 21, 2012, 07:23:37 PM »
Neal sent out a new Inner Circle Newsletter earlier today and in it, these were the highlights:
-The Momentum Tour has been a hit, and as noted before, the NYC show was recorded for release, which will be another spectacular 5-Disc (3CD/2DVD) set coming in February of next year!
-Flying Colors will get an eventual live DVD release from their show recorded at Tilburg 013 earlier this fall, but he gives no tentative release date. I also hope we get a 2CD release of the show as well!
-Neal has made plans with Portnoy, Stolt and Trewavas to fly the Transatlantic ship once again, sometime in 2013!!! He says they have some dates picked out and he hopes they can all make them! Hopefully this means they record before or by April (just like last time), and release by October!

So there you have it, ladies and gentlemen. We can expect at least 3 releases from Neal next year, 1 solo live release, 1 live release with Flying Colors, and (God willing) a new Transatlantic album!!!

-Marc.

Offline r0cken

« Reply #1181 on: November 21, 2012, 10:16:15 PM »
Oh yes, please, new Transatlantic. Great news, thank you.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1182 on: November 21, 2012, 11:00:14 PM »
As an FYI, here is the set list they played at NYC Highline back on October 11th:
1. Momentum
2. Weathering Sky
3. Author Of Confusion
4. The Distance To The Sun
5. Testimony Suite
6. Thoughts Part 5
7. The Conflict
8. ? Suite
9. Fly High
10. World Without End
11. Crazy Horses
12. Sing It High
13. King Jesus

Tracks 1-7 form the first set, 8-10 the 2nd set, and 11-13 the encore. If the last live release is any indication, the first DVD will include the first set, and the 2nd DVD will include the 2nd set and encore, and I predict the 3 Discs will be as follows:
Disc 1 - Momentum-Testimony Suite
Disc 2 - Thoughts Part 5-Fly High
Disc 3 - World Without End-King Jesus
Each disc would be about an hour or so long!!

Cannot wait to pre-order this set!

-Marc.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #1183 on: November 25, 2012, 08:49:45 PM »
Listened to Momentum again today.

Y'know, as great as Neal is...I have never been keen on his main synth lead. It just doesn't sound good. And now it's starting to sound tired.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #1184 on: November 25, 2012, 10:27:43 PM »
Listened to Momentum again today.

Y'know, as great as Neal is...I have never been keen on his main synth lead. It just doesn't sound good. And now it's starting to sound tired.
Agreed. I'd like it if he experimented with more synth sounds. He's a great keyboardist but the same sound album after album get old.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1185 on: December 05, 2012, 09:53:43 PM »
So I'm bumping this up for TWO reasons:

If no one else had seen it yet, Neal Morse and his band (MP's attendance still in the air) will be touring Europe with The Flower Kings for a 3-and-a-half hour progstravaganza!!! Each band will get 90 minutes of set list, while the remaining hour will go to some... you guessed it, TRANSATLANTIC tunes! :metal

I really hope 2 things: Mike Portnoy CAN attend, so then 3/4ths of TA will be present for the hour or so of TA music that will be played! And that this tour gets recorded on audio and video for future release. Something that epic cannot be passed up! I'm hoping there's the inevitable Tilburg show that gets recorded/released. But with 3.5 hours of music, it would be a 3-5 CD set! I'm assuming the 270 minutes will include stage-change times, so maybe each band will more likely play about 80 minutes of music, so with clever edited, each band's set could fit onto a single CD, with the TA set going on the 3rd disc? Let's hope so!

Also, I'm bumping this thread up to let everyone know that I will be starting my Neal Morse Survivor something NEXT WEEK! And yes, I will begin with Neal's FIRST solo album, his self-titled debut. And yes, the 4-part epic at the end will be counted as ONE track in the Survivor options.

-Marc.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #1186 on: December 06, 2012, 12:33:32 PM »

If no one else had seen it yet, Neal Morse and his band (MP's attendance still in the air) will be touring Europe with The Flower Kings for a 3-and-a-half hour progstravaganza!!! Each band will get 90 minutes of set list, while the remaining hour will go to some... you guessed it, TRANSATLANTIC tunes! :metal

I really hope 2 things: Mike Portnoy CAN attend, so then 3/4ths of TA will be present for the hour or so of TA music that will be played! And that this tour gets recorded on audio and video for future release. Something that epic cannot be passed up! I'm hoping there's the inevitable Tilburg show that gets recorded/released. But with 3.5 hours of music, it would be a 3-5 CD set! I'm assuming the 270 minutes will include stage-change times, so maybe each band will more likely play about 80 minutes of music, so with clever edited, each band's set could fit onto a single CD, with the TA set going on the 3rd disc? Let's hope so!

Also, I'm bumping this thread up to let everyone know that I will be starting my Neal Morse Survivor something NEXT WEEK! And yes, I will begin with Neal's FIRST solo album, his self-titled debut. And yes, the 4-part epic at the end will be counted as ONE track in the Survivor options.

-Marc.

Sounds like the ideal moment to FINALLY get myself to see TFK live!
(but yes, not saying that Colin ain't good ('cause he is), it will depend on Mike performing. Missing Pete will be bad enough)
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1187 on: December 06, 2012, 12:37:20 PM »
Wow, that is GREAT news!  Yeah, I hope that gets filmed as well.

And maybe I'm expecting too much, but I would expect that at least one show would feature surprise guest apperances by Pete and/or Daniel.  I mean, they are in Europe, after all.  It wouldn't be that hard at all, schedules permitting.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #1188 on: December 06, 2012, 12:41:59 PM »
Wow, that is GREAT news!  Yeah, I hope that gets filmed as well.

And maybe I'm expecting too much, but I would expect that at least one show would feature surprise guest apperances by Pete and/or Daniel.  I mean, they are in Europe, after all.  It wouldn't be that hard at all, schedules permitting.

Hoping for that too! Would be great!
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1189 on: December 06, 2012, 02:24:08 PM »

-Marc.

Sounds like the ideal moment to FINALLY get myself to see TFK live!
(but yes, not saying that Colin ain't good ('cause he is), it will depend on Mike performing. Missing Pete will be bad enough)

Colin? You mean Collin Leijenaar, Neal old Dutch band? They're not touring with Neal, and IIRC, haven't since the Lifeline Tour. Neal's current drummer, besides Mike, is Paul Simmons.

-Marc.