Author Topic: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread  (Read 539608 times)

Offline darkshade

Re: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread
« Reply #1120 on: October 05, 2012, 07:10:25 PM »
Hey guys, which would you rather have on a desert island... The three Transatlantic studio albums, or Neal's three best solo albums?

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1121 on: October 05, 2012, 08:05:17 PM »
Hey guys, which would you rather have on a desert island... The three Transatlantic studio albums, or Neal's three best solo albums?

Transatlantic studio albums...but only if they are the special editions with the bonus discs!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1122 on: October 06, 2012, 06:57:25 AM »
Transatlantic.

Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #1123 on: October 06, 2012, 10:09:48 AM »
Neal Morse.  Testimony, Testimony 2, and probably One. 

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1124 on: October 06, 2012, 11:21:46 AM »
TA I'd say.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1125 on: October 07, 2012, 04:09:06 AM »
I've been listening to Momentum the last couple of days and it's pretty cool. Thoughts part 5 has some incredible stuff going, and I'm still digesting the epic, although it has a lot of potential as well. I still need to give it a few more spins, though.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1126 on: October 07, 2012, 08:04:44 AM »
I'll take the three TA records on the desert island.

But what about your three favorite Neal solo records vs. your three favorite Spock's Beard records from the Neal era?

For me, that is ?, T2 and One vs. Snow, V and the Light.  I am taking Neal's solo records.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1127 on: October 07, 2012, 10:04:51 AM »
I'll take the three TA records on the desert island.

But what about your three favorite Neal solo records vs. your three favorite Spock's Beard records from the Neal era?

For me, that is ?, T2 and One vs. Snow, V and the Light.  I am taking Neal's solo records.

Hmmm... interesting question you pose. For me:
Solo Morse - Testimony, One, Testimony 2 (? is a very close 4th...almost a 3b)
SB Morse - Snow, V, Beware Of Darkness

That'd be tough. I absolutely LOVE Snow, but I also really love One (the expanded tracklist). I think I might have to go with SB Morse on that one as much as I love the two Testimony albums, I really enjoy the epics of V and BOD, they are classic Neal Morse tracks and have a lot more weight to them in terms of being classics for me.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1128 on: October 07, 2012, 10:21:25 AM »
Man, that chorus in Some kind of yesterday from World without end is absolutely gorgeous. This is why I fell in love with Neal's music in the first place.  :heart

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1129 on: October 10, 2012, 12:10:15 AM »
To jump backwards a bit here in the convo, why do people bitch about it when Neal does acoustic guitar sections?  That is one of his trademarks.  It would be like telling Dream Theater, "Stop doing unisons."  Dream Theater does unisons; Neal Morse does acoustic guitar-driven instrumental sections.  I don't see the issue, especially since they are almost always awesome.  I mean, is anyone not slayed by that section in The Separated Man??

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #1130 on: October 10, 2012, 08:34:53 AM »
Taking my wife to NYC for the show tomorrow night! We have a pair of meet and greets! :metal
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1131 on: October 10, 2012, 10:03:12 AM »
Not sure I'd take any Neal stuff on a desert island. The way his music is structured, with all the reprises and payoffs, basically gives you the same effect as listening to a good song over and over again. The first couple times you listen, it's great. But after that, it starts to get really repetitive. It's the kind of thing that's nice now and again, but would drive me nuts on a desert island.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #1132 on: October 10, 2012, 11:46:45 AM »
Either way, I'd have to go with TA or Spock's Beard.  [/nothankyoureligion]

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1133 on: October 11, 2012, 10:54:49 AM »
I forgot to mention that Neal tweeted this on Tuesday:
Just confirmed we are shooting a DVD at the show in NYC on Thursday! Come on out and be featured in the DVD! Pray that Mike feels better too

Hopefully, it's a better shot, with better lighting and camera angles, than the shooting of last year's DVD.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1134 on: October 11, 2012, 11:09:34 AM »
Just confirmed we are shooting a DVD at the show in NYC on Thursday! Come on out and be featured in the DVD! Pray that Mike feels better too

Hopefully, it's a better shot, with better lighting and camera angles, than the shooting of last year's DVD.
Yes! I'll be there!!!!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1135 on: October 11, 2012, 12:16:38 PM »

This.  I did not like the T2 shoot at all.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1136 on: October 11, 2012, 03:36:55 PM »
Yep, bobs23 did the best he could with what he had to work with, as far as editing goes and whatnot, but the lighting was poor, the camera angles sucked (that constant shot of Neal that was to his left, not only had that guy with the big green shirt in the back of the shot too often, but Neal was like way to the left of the screen instead of being centered) and, again, that guy with the big green shirt was just a background distraction every time he was on screen at all. Hopefully, the band members this time around adjust their wardrobe accordingly. :biggrin:

Either way, it will be nice to get a lot of ? and Author of Confusion on a live DVD with the current lineup. :tup :tup

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1137 on: October 11, 2012, 03:39:12 PM »
I didn't even think anyone other than Neal even liked Author of Confusion.  :lol  But, yeah, the two things you cited may end up being the reasons for this being the first Neal live release I end up not buying.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1138 on: October 11, 2012, 03:44:06 PM »
Say what?  You don't like it?  I think it's really, really good.  Okay, the intro does go on a bit too long, as does the outro of virtually the same thing, but this is one of the times where the multi-part harmony thing works really well, and the dreamy-like verses that kick in around 5:25 are just wonderful; that is classic Neal stuff there!  Given a bit of editing, the song could have been truly great, but it is still really, really good as is, IMO.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1139 on: October 11, 2012, 04:17:49 PM »
Dammit. It would have sucked to pull off, but I would have gone to the show tonight had I known it was being recorded. :(
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #1140 on: October 11, 2012, 05:18:03 PM »
I wish I could have gone to the show tonight but I just saw Rush last night.

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1141 on: October 11, 2012, 07:18:30 PM »
They messed up quite a bit with the conflict :(

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1142 on: October 12, 2012, 08:03:43 AM »
Me too!
I did go though and all I can say is....most amazing venue, EVER! I had VIP tickets and I was seated at a small round table in front of the stage. I had dinner at the table and then the show started. The band was amazing! I have never been so close to an artist for a show like this. Can't wait till the DVD comes out!
The place was all tables. It made it intimate and unique. He had a great audience as well. You could tell the crowd was comprised of diehard fans. It will make the DVD even better.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1143 on: October 12, 2012, 09:22:34 AM »
The set list looks good, with the ? medley, Author of Confusion, some of the new songs, The Conflict and King Jesus.

However, Crazy Horses with Portnoy on vocals?

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1144 on: October 12, 2012, 09:53:30 AM »
The set list looks good, with the ? medley, Author of Confusion, some of the new songs, The Conflict and King Jesus.

That was the low point of the show. I found it embarrassing in the context of what Neal had achieved on this evening. It was out of place and too self indulgent for Mike. I would think he would be perceptive enough to understand it wasn't the right place for that.
Other than that the night was flawless in my estimations.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1145 on: October 12, 2012, 12:35:22 PM »
Yeah, I saw the video online. MP was channeling a strong AMOB-era Russel Allen right there.

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1146 on: October 12, 2012, 05:18:03 PM »
I thought Crazy Horses was a fun bit, but there was a place and time for that and it certainly wasn't last night. I'm really happy they played "Sing it High" was definitely a lot of fun.

I wasn't too thrilled with the line up of backing musicians, they didnt seem to be as into it as the guys from last tour. the Sodre guy on guitar tho was absolutely INCREDIBLE. His solo in the "Two down One to go" section of The Conflict was probably the best solo played that night.

The Venue was absolute shit tho. Maybe it was because we had shit seats, but I was upset that there was no standing space. It was a little odd for a filmed dvd. The waitresses were hot tho... so that kinda made up for a shit venue  :lol

All in all it was an extremely fun night, good show, ok food, delicious scotch, shitty view of the stage. But thats ok since it was recorded for the DVD.  :metal

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1147 on: October 12, 2012, 05:27:52 PM »
Me too!
I did go though and all I can say is....most amazing venue, EVER! I had VIP tickets and I was seated at a small round table in front of the stage. I had dinner at the table and then the show started. The band was amazing! I have never been so close to an artist for a show like this. Can't wait till the DVD comes out!
The place was all tables. It made it intimate and unique. He had a great audience as well. You could tell the crowd was comprised of diehard fans. It will make the DVD even better.

Had that very same experience (front and center no VIP, first come first served) with the Carl Palmer Band a year ago tomorrow. There's nothing like it.  The table was right against the stage.

With two Rush shows next week, this wasn't happening for me (DVD or no DVD)

I chose Flying Colors in September and MacAlpine, Sherinian, Sheehan and Portnoy in November.

Only so much green to go around.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1148 on: October 12, 2012, 07:29:52 PM »
All in all it was an extremely fun night, good show, ok food, delicious scotch, shitty view of the stage. But thats ok since it was recorded for the DVD.  :metal

I'm just imagining sitting in a shitty venue sipping scotch while watching Mike Portnoy up on stage singing Crazy Horses. Man oh man...  :lol

I'm sure it was otherwise an awesome night, though. I'm already aware of what kinda live vibes Neal can create thanks to having seen the Whirld Tour.

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1149 on: October 12, 2012, 08:32:44 PM »
Im sure it wouldnt have been that bad if i had a decent view of the stage  :lol

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1150 on: October 13, 2012, 06:31:30 AM »
I thought Crazy Horses was a fun bit, but there was a place and time for that and it certainly wasn't last night. I'm really happy they played "Sing it High" was definitely a lot of fun.

I wasn't too thrilled with the line up of backing musicians, they didnt seem to be as into it as the guys from last tour. the Sodre guy on guitar tho was absolutely INCREDIBLE. His solo in the "Two down One to go" section of The Conflict was probably the best solo played that night.

The Venue was absolute shit tho. Maybe it was because we had shit seats, but I was upset that there was no standing space. It was a little odd for a filmed dvd. The waitresses were hot tho... so that kinda made up for a shit venue  :lol

I actually thought his band was way into it. Maybe its because they were right in front of me and I was able to see what they were doing and the looks on there faces. You thought the venue was shit? Where were you? I guess being right in front of the stage, when I turned around it seemed like every seat was good? I couldn't see how far back to top level went. I would imaging if you not up front it would have been pretty bad. I would call it the best venue I have ever been in.

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1151 on: October 13, 2012, 10:34:12 AM »
I was sitting on the top floor second row back. so i couldnt see shit. so i guess im basing it all off of my shitty seats. But I thought they shouldve still atleast had standing room on the floor. they shouldve done what BBkings does. tables on the side, standing in the middle.

I didnt say they were a bad group, im just saying i feel last years line up seemed to be having a bit more fun with the whole deal. Then again i was up front against the stage then  :lol

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1152 on: October 13, 2012, 10:46:00 AM »
I was sitting on the top floor second row back. so i couldnt see shit. so i guess im basing it all off of my shitty seats. But I thought they shouldve still atleast had standing room on the floor. they shouldve done what BBkings does. tables on the side, standing in the middle.

I didnt say they were a bad group, im just saying i feel last years line up seemed to be having a bit more fun with the whole deal. Then again i was up front against the stage then  :lol
Did you try standing downstairs? It seemed every time I went to the rest room there were plenty of people to get through that were standing in the back and on the sides.

I can only imagine how bad where you were must have been. How could you possibly see from where you were?

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1153 on: October 13, 2012, 11:27:37 AM »
haha you thought i saw the show? good one!

Nah i did end up standing up behind my table and i could see OK. still hard to see from up there.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1154 on: October 13, 2012, 12:08:34 PM »

That was the low point of the show. I found it embarrassing in the context of what Neal had achieved on this evening. It was out of place and too self indulgent for Mike. I would think he would be perceptive enough to understand it wasn't the right place for that.
Other than that the night was flawless in my estimations.

I think Neal indulges him way too much, especially when it comes to singing and whatnot.  It's like two friends at a karaoke bar, and even though one of them knows the other really can't sing very well, he insists his friend do it, just for shits and giggles and, in their minds, a bit of fun.  Fun is good, but that song have to have stuck out like a sore thumb, and as an encore? Yikes.