Author Topic: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread  (Read 539630 times)

Offline darkshade

Re: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread
« Reply #840 on: February 28, 2012, 11:11:59 AM »
New Transatlantic, Neal Morse solo album, The Flower Kings, and possibly Dream Theater recording later this year. This is a great time to be a fan of these guys!

As well as new Marillion and Spock's Beard (well, even though Neal isn't a part of them any more, his brother Al did some writing with Neal FOR the new SB record, so Neal's name may yet appear on the album's credits again!).

I think I read this news 2 weeks ago when it was posted there... I guess it slipped my mind to post it here ???

Anyways, new Transatlantic in 2013 would be awesome, along with new Dream Theater. It'll be a treat, but with ALL the great new (prog) music coming out THIS year (RUSH, Flying Colors, anything with Steven Wilson's name on it, Marillion, Spock's Beard, Neal Morse Covers album AND new Solo album as well as a third-yet-unknown-project, The Flower Kings, Hasse Froberg & the Musical Companion, and SOOOOO so many more), I think I can wait for 2013 easily!

-Marc.

If they record early enough, the new Transatlantic album could be out in 2012. The Whirlwind was recorded in April 2009, yes? And it came out in October 2009. So if they record sometime in the next few months, it could be out before Christmas!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #841 on: February 28, 2012, 11:21:13 AM »
I thought about that...then I realized: Neal is in his studio right now finishing up the new Covers album (which he plans to be out in May/June) and his new solo album (set for September release), as well as planning a third album for the year, and both Roine and Pete are in the midst of recording respective bands' new albums right now, and will likely be in their studios for the next month or two, recording/dubbing/mixing/producing/etc.etc.

And as for Mike, he's likely planning an Adrenaline Mob tour soon, right?

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #842 on: March 21, 2012, 11:48:36 AM »
This is the day all your life you've looked forward
To when you'd get lucky; take life for a ride
But now that it's here it's the great disappointment
You find yourself empty and lonely inside
Like the spark that was in you was lost and quietly died

But there's a homecoming beyond the danger zone
Where you never feel alone
And tomorrow feels like home
Yes, there's a homecoming that they can't take away
Like a child gone far away
Come on home, it'll be OK

Tried tribulation at first it was nothing
Like nothing before you could turn back the tide
But now that you're older you're like the new husband
Who lifts up the veil from off of his bride
And finds she's not quite the young girl that he had in mind

But there's a homecoming beyond the danger zone
Where you never feel alone
And tomorrow feels like home
Yes, there's a homecoming when you'll admit you're wrong
When you're tired and you've lived too long
Come on home where you belong

:hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline unklejman

« Reply #843 on: March 21, 2012, 11:50:58 AM »
Heh, I just arbitrarily listened to that song this morning. Well, ok... I wanted to listen to some Steve Morse without wearing out Flying Colors and the Steve Morse Band albums I have.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #844 on: March 21, 2012, 12:15:00 PM »
Steve Morse's solo is definitely great, but I still can't get over how much better Neal's electric guitar playing has gotten.  It is like his playing suddenly got much better.  Or maybe he just wrote better guitar parts for himself to play.  Regardless, it is nice to see the balance back instead of the keyboards or strings dominating 90% of the time.

Offline unklejman

« Reply #845 on: March 21, 2012, 12:17:26 PM »
He mentioned that touring with Roine Stolt really help him with his playing.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #846 on: March 21, 2012, 12:21:21 PM »
That makes a lot of sense.  Granted, he toured with Roine back in 2000 and 2001 as well, but he was still part of Spock's Beard at the time and probably didn't think he needed to put any time in into improving his electric guitar playing.  Different from when he toured with him again in 2010.  And hey, what better way to learn and/or improve than by doing it with the best? :)

Offline unklejman

« Reply #847 on: March 21, 2012, 12:25:24 PM »
Here is the exact quote from the Flying Colors website:

I’m constantly challenging myself on the piano and the guitar. For example, it was a great challenge to me to play the intro to “Seeds of Gold” on the piano, and all the bits on The Whirlwind were stretching out for me as far as how much I needed to practice them and truly get them in my hands. Also, I think I’ve grown as a guitar player largely due to touring with Roine and how much feeling and expression Roine puts in his playing and how he’s always improvising. That seemed to help me on the Testimony 2 tour to stretch out a little more and have more feeling in my playing, which is really cool!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #848 on: March 21, 2012, 12:36:22 PM »
Here is the exact quote from the Flying Colors website:

I’m constantly challenging myself on the piano and the guitar. For example, it was a great challenge to me to play the intro to “Seeds of Gold” on the piano, and all the bits on The Whirlwind were stretching out for me as far as how much I needed to practice them and truly get them in my hands. Also, I think I’ve grown as a guitar player largely due to touring with Roine and how much feeling and expression Roine puts in his playing and how he’s always improvising. That seemed to help me on the Testimony 2 tour to stretch out a little more and have more feeling in my playing, which is really cool!

Sweet!  That makes a lot of sense.  Thanks for posting that! :tup :tup

Offline Priest of Syrinx

• Feeding my Narpets
« Reply #849 on: April 22, 2012, 10:27:21 PM »
I just got Testimony 2, what an album!   9/10 from me!
It's the Internet.  Everything everybody says, no matter how factual-sounding, is opinion.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #850 on: April 23, 2012, 08:37:01 AM »
I just got Testimony 2, what an album!   9/10 from me!

:tup Almost a year later, but ya know, better late than never! I agree, it's a fantastic album! Definitely leaps and bounds above Lifeline, and if his writing continues to be as good as T2, then I have high hopes for Momentum in September!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline darkshade

« Reply #851 on: April 23, 2012, 11:20:43 AM »
When I got Testimony 2 I thought it was a 9/10 or something. It has slipped down to an 8/10, but that's still good; having had the album for almost a year now.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #852 on: April 23, 2012, 11:27:08 AM »
Absolute Beginner is kind of an afterthought, but everything else on T2 is fantastic.  I still think it is definitely Neal's best solo record to date.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #853 on: April 24, 2012, 09:35:07 PM »
Absolute Beginner is kind of an afterthought, but everything else on T2 is fantastic.  I still think it is definitely Neal's best solo record to date.

An afterthought perhaps, but it might be the best song on that disc. That could easily have been on a Flying Colors bonus disc if there was one.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #854 on: April 24, 2012, 09:41:22 PM »

An afterthought perhaps, but it might be the best song on that disc. That could easily have been on a Flying Colors bonus disc if there was one.

Speaking of that bonus disc, Neal almost saved "Seeds of Gold" for the Flying Colors project/sessions, but I think Mike and/or Randy convinced him otherwise and Neal decided to record it with them instead, which is why I suppose he got Steve Morse to record that EPIC guitar solo at the end of the piece! I wonder if "Seeds of Gold" would be a choice for the Flying Colors tour set list? I mean, they'll have Mike AND Steve, and I'm pretty sure Dave LaRue could learn Randy's parts easily, and Casey could probably do a lot of the acoustic guitar parts, and with a dedicated guitarist in Steve, Neal could focus on his keyboard parts for that song. I think "Seeds of Gold" needs to be Neal's new "Stranger In Your Soul" in terms of playing an epic at his shows.

Also, the other songs on T2's bonus disc would be good choices for Flying Colors to play.

-Marc.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #855 on: April 26, 2012, 02:01:52 PM »
I like that Neal has been so productive lately. I really feel like The Whirlwind recharged his creative juices, and I sense the new album will kick ass, coming off the high of Testimony 2.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #856 on: April 29, 2012, 05:06:52 PM »
I like that Neal has been so productive lately. I really feel like The Whirlwind recharged his creative juices, and I sense the new album will kick ass, coming off the high of Testimony 2.

Indeed, hearing T2 after TW was a big shock, and I think he's definitely amp'ed up his game. Momentum sounds like it'll be the type of album that V and Lifeline were (one huge multi-parted epic with a bunch of shorter songs), but definitely way better than the latter (and possibly as good or better than the former). From what Mike, Randy and Neal have all said about the material, they seemed REALLY hyped to get it out there. September cannot get here soon enough!!!

-Marc.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #857 on: April 29, 2012, 05:10:46 PM »
I'm listening to Testimony 2 right now - can't wait until Momentum is released. There's so many great albums to look forward to this year.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #858 on: April 29, 2012, 07:19:12 PM »
September cannot get here soon enough!!!

-Marc.

Well, I can wait, because I'll have the new Flower Kings album to hold me over.  ;D

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #859 on: April 29, 2012, 08:31:55 PM »
September cannot get here soon enough!!!

-Marc.

Well, I can wait, because I'll have the new Flower Kings album to hold me over.  ;D

:tup

Fair enough, September will be amazing with Neal's Momentum and Marillion's Sounds That Can't Be Made (which I've already pre-ordered). Until then, I'll have MPG's Cover 2 Cover, TFK's Banks of Eden, Rush's Clockwork Angels, and a few more.

-Marc.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #860 on: May 17, 2012, 12:23:23 PM »
Got my Neal Morse Cover2Cover bundle today, with the CD and making-of DVD! Cannot wait to watch and listen!

-Marc.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #861 on: May 17, 2012, 01:10:20 PM »
I wonder if "Seeds of Gold" would be a choice for the Flying Colors tour set list? I mean, they'll have Mike AND Steve, and I'm pretty sure Dave LaRue could learn Randy's parts easily, and Casey could probably do a lot of the acoustic guitar parts, and with a dedicated guitarist in Steve, Neal could focus on his keyboard parts for that song.

Possible, but I kind of doubt it.  If they are playing long enough sets that do end up including stuff beyond official Flying Colors material, I think they would try to make it be a fair representation of material from all the members' full-time band material.  Even though Steve (and Mike) played on Seeds of Gold, you are still talking about a very LONG song that would eat up a lot of set time for what is still, at the end of the day, a Neal Morse solo song. 

For set filler, I'm inclined to believe they will instead include shorter songs from each member and/or some cover songs.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline darkshade

« Reply #862 on: May 17, 2012, 02:19:46 PM »
Got my Neal Morse Cover2Cover bundle today, with the CD and making-of DVD! Cannot wait to watch and listen!

-Marc.

That's out already?

Is the making-of a documentary of them recording the new album, or just the cover2cover album? or both? Give us details!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #863 on: May 17, 2012, 02:26:21 PM »

-Marc.

That's out already?

Is the making-of a documentary of them recording the new album, or just the cover2cover album? or both? Give us details!

The previews for the DVD have stated that it is a Making Of behind the songs featured on Cover 2 Cover, so the covers that were made during the "Lifeline" and "Momentum" sessions. There's only talk about the covers, and they even have some footage of them from 5 years ago during the sessions for Lifeline. It's good stuff, and the DVD runs about 45 minutes long, as they show bits of them recording the songs (sometimes they're not what ended up as the final mix/take, especially watching Mike's drum cam footage) interspersed with bits of them talking about the song choices and how they came up with them. Good stories and information!

And the street-date for the album is (technically) next Tuesday, but mine came in early! WOOHOO! Great music, and if you didn't get the special edition of Lifeline when it came out (shame on you if you didn't!), then definitely get this set, which includes those 4 cover songs featured on LL's bonus disc, as well as the previously-only-available-to-Inner-Circle-Fanclub-members track "Starless (King Crimson cover).

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #864 on: May 28, 2012, 12:05:40 PM »
Neal Morse – Momentum
“You’ve got some new Momentum… you better keep on going,” Neal Morse declares in the exciting title track of his new album. After an amazing 2011 that included the release and subsequent world tour of Testimony 2,  and the release of the 5 disc set of Testimony 2 Live in L.A., what could Neal possibly do to follow that? “That’s about where I was in January of 2012; waiting and wondering what was next. Then, Mike (Portnoy) had an open window at the end of January so I booked him and Randy (George) to come to Nashville to record. But I had no album! Then, an explosion of creativity happened that far exceeded our expectations …”

Featuring the guitar work of 6 string legend Paul Gilbert, and of course the stellar drumming of long time partner Mike Portnoy, Momentum is a musical thrill ride that will leave you breathless! Everything you’d ever want in a Neal Morse album is here; great prog elements, hooky pop choruses, intricate vocal weaving, blistering musicianship and beautiful melodies are all present and accounted for. HIGHLIGHTS: THOUGHTS PT 5, the perfect sequel to the earlier Spock’s Beard classics, WEATHERING SKY, rock/pop brilliance and WORLD WITHOUT END, clocking in at 33:51, this is the ultimate prog epic from the man who practically invented the term.

Also featured on the album is Neal’s newest find, Brazilian guitarist Adson Sodre and other members of Neal’s new live band. With its surprising directness, depth and pure prog exhilaration, Momentum is quite possibly the ultimate Neal Morse album. Mixed by Rich Mouser. Produced by Neal Morse.

***The Special Edition also includes the full, behind the scenes "Making of" dvd, which captures Neal, Mike and Randy at their best in the studio, doing what they love most, making music.***

North American release date: September 11, 2012 (Radiant/Metal Blade Records)

European release date: September 10, 2012 (InsideOut/Century Media)

Track Listing:

Momentum

Thoughts Part 5

Smoke and Mirrors

Freak

Weathering Sky

World Without End

i  Introduction

ii  Never Pass Away

iii  Losing Your Soul

iv  The Mystery

v  Some Kind Of Yesterday

vi  World Without End

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #865 on: May 28, 2012, 12:27:07 PM »
Awesome tracklist! I see that Neal changed his Thoughts Part 3 into Part 5, mostly because he and Al had written Part 3 for the new Spock's Beard album... so where is Part 4? :lol

This is one of most anticipated albums of the year! Glad to read there will be a Special Edition with a Making-Of DVD! :tup

-Marc.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #866 on: May 28, 2012, 12:28:13 PM »
Go ahead Kev, I know there are a few parts of that press release you're dying to tear into (some good, some bad.) :biggrin:
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #867 on: May 28, 2012, 12:36:44 PM »
Like saying that Neal practically invented the term "ultimate prog epic"?  Nope, I'll let that one go. :biggrin:

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #868 on: May 28, 2012, 12:42:02 PM »
Oh come on! I was really looking forward to where you'd go with that!

But I figured you'd be thrilled (as I am) that Paul Gilbert is on the disc.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline darkshade

« Reply #869 on: May 28, 2012, 01:04:54 PM »
I believe it's also confirmed that Portnoy will be drumming with Neal's live band for the U.S. Momentum tour

Nashville, TN - October 3
Mexico City, Mexico - October 4-5
Los Angeles, CA - October 6
Seattle, WA - October 7
Denver, CO - October 9
Chicago, IL - October 12

No east coast dates as of right now

Also, new cover art. Release date September 11, 2012

Offline crazyaga

• Frantic Foxy
« Reply #870 on: May 28, 2012, 01:48:26 PM »
not my cup of tea, but his music is decent
and his preachy lyrics make me wanna vomit.
does he support gays? or one of the "homosexuality is soo wrong zomg" kind of christians?
I love beautiful things.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #871 on: May 28, 2012, 02:44:49 PM »
Track Listing:

Momentum

Thoughts Part 5

Smoke and Mirrors

Freak

Weathering Sky

World Without End

i  Introduction

ii  Never Pass Away

iii  Losing Your Soul

iv  The Mystery

v  Some Kind Of Yesterday

vi  World Without End[/i]

So I've been re-reading Randy's studio diary and there's a song titled "Lunar Creek" that isn't listed here. He documents working on all of the other songs, a total of 7, but it seems we're only getting 6. I wonder what happened to the 7th song?

Well if Neal fills out the whole CD (as he usually does), with a near 34 minute epic ending the album, we've got 5 more songs to fill out 40-44 minutes of music, which seems reasonable considering who we are dealing with here.

And I wonder how much involvement Paul Gilbert will have this go around, considering his last couple contributions have been relegated to solos and parts of songs.

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #872 on: May 28, 2012, 08:36:32 PM »

Meh, just typical overstating things on a press release or whatever you want to call that.  Par for the course.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #873 on: May 28, 2012, 08:54:44 PM »

Meh, just typical overstating things on a press release or whatever you want to call that.  Par for the course.

At least it's not like any Roine Stolt-related press release.  :lol

-Marc.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #874 on: May 28, 2012, 09:03:56 PM »
I feel like I annoy people with these Neal e-mail updates, but here's a response I got back from the man

Hi Ted,

Great to hear from you!! I would love to come there and give my testimony and play a few songs. Are you near any main airports? Would your school be able to pay my expenses?

Thanks and God bless you!!

Neal

I got a response back after it was looking like Neal wasn't able to do it. I just said sorry it wouldn't work out, but I am a huge fan and look forward to hearing his other work. Here was his response:

Hi Ted,

I am also sorry it didn't work out. It's difficult to work everything in. Oh well, God bless you and I look forward to seeing you at some point. Keep seeking God with all your heart!

Neal

Well, at least I have Neal's personal email address in my e-address book  :lol
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen