Author Topic: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread  (Read 539533 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread
« Reply #700 on: October 18, 2011, 08:00:18 AM »
On the album, I assumed Mike was doubling it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #701 on: October 18, 2011, 08:32:02 AM »
Except that he didn't growl it at all. :lol

And yeah, that guy in the green and brown striped shirt should be kicked in the chins for wearing that, for two reasons: 1) It is an ugly shirt in general, and 2) It is definitely somewhat distracting.

The song sounded cool, though. :coolio

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #702 on: October 18, 2011, 08:33:15 AM »
I'm just amazed at how much energy has been breathed into "Lifeline." I think I might pass on the "More Never Is Enough" and make this my first NM DVD purchase.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #703 on: October 18, 2011, 09:51:32 AM »
Why don't you like Fly High?  I don't like it for my own reasons, but I am curious to see why you think it's the worst?
There is nothing musically that I find appealing whatsoever.  I can't comment on the lyrics, because I don't listen to the song enough to be familiar with them. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #704 on: October 18, 2011, 01:52:03 PM »
I still think Lifeline could have been a great 7-8 minute song.  The intro goes on a bit too long (that quirky part from 3:18 to 3:36 was pretty unnecessary, and sounds like they tacked it on there for the hell of it), and I think a shorter, more concise middle instrumental section would have been better.  As is, I like the song (definitely the best song from an otherwise average record), but it could have been so much better with some trimming.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #705 on: October 18, 2011, 04:17:32 PM »
I still think Lifeline could have been a great 7-8 minute song.  The intro goes on a bit too long (that quirky part from 3:18 to 3:36 was pretty unnecessary, and sounds like they tacked it on there for the hell of it), and I think a shorter, more concise middle instrumental section would have been better.  As is, I like the song (definitely the best song from an otherwise average record), but it could have been so much better with some trimming.

It's the outro that is too long, though that DVD makes it so epic that I'm glad for it now.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #706 on: October 18, 2011, 04:19:37 PM »
Neal Morse does not sound that good from that live preview of TTWSYF.  He sounds like he has a cold.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #707 on: October 20, 2011, 05:50:37 AM »

What about So Many Roads?!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #708 on: October 20, 2011, 08:21:49 AM »
It's okay.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #709 on: October 20, 2011, 09:18:40 AM »
I'm not really crazy about any of the songs on that album, although I bet they're great live.  Although I am a Christian and love the lyrics and themes in most of Neal's music, I am not a fan of "contemporary christian" pop music.  To me, Neal's music shines when he is just out there going nuts in full-on prog mode.  And even though the songs on Lifeline easily qualify as prog, they feel more like "contemporary christian" pop to me.  There's just very little on that album that I gravitate to, even though I love all of the other solo albums from T1 onward.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #710 on: October 20, 2011, 09:46:52 AM »
I am fairly widely exposed to what you refer to as Contemporary Christian Pop, and trust me when I say that nothing on Lifeline reminds me of that at all.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #711 on: October 20, 2011, 09:49:15 AM »
I'm not really crazy about any of the songs on that album, although I bet they're great live.  Although I am a Christian and love the lyrics and themes in most of Neal's music, I am not a fan of "contemporary christian" pop music.  To me, Neal's music shines when he is just out there going nuts in full-on prog mode.  And even though the songs on Lifeline easily qualify as prog, they feel more like "contemporary christian" pop to me.  There's just very little on that album that I gravitate to, even though I love all of the other solo albums from T1 onward.

Have you ever shared NM's music with someone who only listens to Christian Pop? I did that last year, with a friend who was kinda "mentoring" me through some issues I was having with my faith. I burnt them "?" onto a disc. And the next day she was practically in tears talking about how awesome it was.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #712 on: October 20, 2011, 09:57:28 AM »
I am fairly widely exposed to what you refer to as Contemporary Christian Pop, and trust me when I say that nothing on Lifeline reminds me of that at all.

Well, good for you then.  But I was talking about what it reminded me of.

Have you ever shared NM's music with someone who only listens to Christian Pop? I did that last year, with a friend who was kinda "mentoring" me through some issues I was having with my faith. I burnt them "?" onto a disc. And the next day she was practically in tears talking about how awesome it was.

Not really.  I actually don't know many people who listen to much of that. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #713 on: October 20, 2011, 11:49:14 AM »

Jeez, man.   Crabby much today? ;)  hef was just making a relevant point.  And I agree with him.  One listen of any of his worship CDs tells you how far his normal album stuff is from CCP.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #714 on: October 20, 2011, 11:53:01 AM »
Except that it's not really a relevant point.  I wasn't trying to incorrectly fit it into that genre, so I don't need to be corrected about whether or not it actually fits.  I know it doesn't, and I said that in my original post.  I just said that, for some reason, to me, it just reminds me of that genre, which is one that I don't care for.  I just don't really like the album for reasons that are really hard to explain, so I'm just doing my best to put a really abstract feeling into words.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #715 on: October 20, 2011, 12:35:22 PM »
I sort of hear you.  Musically, it's dissimilar to contemporary Christian music, but lyrically and thematically, it's almost identical...

I want to say that Neal Morse's best songs are the ones about conflict and inner struggle.  We see that all over both Testimonies, One, and Sola Scriptura (don't know about ?).  Some of my favorite songs are the more depressing ones, like Somber Days, All I Can Do, Jesus Bring Me Home, and Cradle to the Grave.  Heck, I even like the happy upbeat ones if they are well-placed, like Oh Lord My God and Sing It High.

But Lifeline's problem is that it is pretty much all positive*.  That's inherently fine, I guess, but it just doesn't make for a very interesting album.

*Except for Leviathan, which I don't even count as music.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline darkshade

« Reply #716 on: October 20, 2011, 12:54:53 PM »
I love when this thread gets revived.

Ive been slowly but surely getting back into this music after some time away, and Neal's albums have been making their way into my rotation. Started with Testimony 2 which I actually went 2 months without listening to!!! Now I'm on Testimony 1, and it's so much more enjoyable than when I first got it. Maybe T2 helped, but it's so good.

Lifeline is ok, obviously the title track is the best, but I found most of the other songs enjoyable with the exception of a couple. I have to go back to this one soon to make a clear judgment.

I don't care much for the new Transatlantic live album; it just doesn't feel necessary. I await TA4 instead!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #717 on: October 20, 2011, 01:31:19 PM »

Other threads get revived.

THIS thread gets resurrected. :D
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline darkshade

« Reply #718 on: October 20, 2011, 01:40:47 PM »

Oh, but of course; and with Jesus' Blood.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #719 on: October 20, 2011, 03:00:01 PM »

Rejoiced? :)
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #720 on: October 20, 2011, 03:05:37 PM »

Rejoiced? :)

No, reprised! :neverusethis:

Offline darkshade

« Reply #721 on: October 20, 2011, 03:13:56 PM »
 :rollin

Offline darkshade

« Reply #722 on: October 22, 2011, 11:01:30 AM »
No sooner is this thread resurrected, does it DIIIIEEEE-IIIEEEE!!!

Offline Ħ

« Reply #723 on: October 22, 2011, 05:45:16 PM »
No sooner is this thread resurrected, does it DIIIIEEEE-IIIEEEE!!!
Nonono, like this: "diiiiiiiiiii---------------ie".

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #724 on: October 23, 2011, 06:04:27 AM »

Fine, but it makes as much sense as if I said that I dislike Opeth because it reminds me of Mary Poppins.  I'm not defending the worth of "Christian pop" (most of it sucks, just like every other genre).  And I wasn't trying to ruffle your feathers either.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #725 on: October 25, 2011, 01:44:29 AM »
So, all the limited bundle editions (TA and NM) are signed, I really hope I was quick enough!
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #726 on: October 25, 2011, 04:26:11 PM »
Listening to T2 for the first time, it's pretty awesome on first listen. I never really got into T1, but this is just great. I'm definitely looking forward to getting to Seeds of Gold in the playlist though.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #727 on: October 25, 2011, 04:30:18 PM »
So, all the limited bundle editions (TA and NM) are signed, I really hope I was quick enough!

I can't wait to get mine! Got the email yesterday saying they're shipping out the 10-Disc Bundles this week, so I'm hoping to get it by next Monday or Tuesday... if I come home to it this week, I'll be ECSTATIC!!! I don't work on Saturday, Sunday or Monday, so I'll definitely be watching these concert DVDs!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #728 on: October 25, 2011, 05:49:02 PM »
I'm fairly sure I wasn't quick enough, but it will be nice to see a big box at my door all the same.

Might be enough to get me off of this Dread Zeppelin kick I've been on lately. (Not that I mind of course.)

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #729 on: October 25, 2011, 05:52:58 PM »
I feel like I annoy people with these Neal e-mail updates, but here's a response I got back from the man

Hi Ted,

Great to hear from you!! I would love to come there and give my testimony and play a few songs. Are you near any main airports? Would your school be able to pay my expenses?

Thanks and God bless you!!

Neal
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Ħ

« Reply #730 on: October 25, 2011, 06:55:29 PM »
Awesome, Systematic.  If he's a spiritual inspiration to you and others, it's a good thing you invited him.

I wonder what kind of songs he plays for these really small "gigs"?

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #731 on: November 02, 2011, 02:04:19 PM »
Yours truly on the right from the new tour documentary. :D

For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #732 on: November 02, 2011, 03:02:25 PM »
Haha, can't wait to look for you, man I want this box set now. I'll be totally visible on the TA DVD, especially during the encore, I was on first row.

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #733 on: November 02, 2011, 03:03:46 PM »
nick, you and your celebrity skills are amazing  :lol

Offline unklejman

« Reply #734 on: November 03, 2011, 11:42:03 AM »

I haven't had luck getting these people to listen to the music I provided for them.