Author Topic: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread  (Read 549704 times)

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
Re: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread
« Reply #7175 on: November 13, 2023, 06:15:37 AM »
Plus don't forget hotel costs - we have some of the most expensive hotel rooms in the world.

£275 for 2 nights is way to much, that's £137.50 per show. I think this is likely to be attended by overseas visitors taking advantage of the good exchange rates, can't see many Brits forking out that.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7176 on: November 13, 2023, 06:18:54 AM »
I don't see them discounting prices, as that would kind of be a thumb in the eye to those who bought tickets for the original price right away.

Pebsie, I hear ya and am with ya on the way fans with any dissenting opinions are treated (especially on the Neal FB forum page).  It's sad to see that the powers-that-be in Neal's social media world act like that, as a good guy like Neal deserves better representation than that, but it is what it is.

Offline Pebsie

« Reply #7177 on: November 14, 2023, 11:16:55 AM »
I don't see them discounting prices, as that would kind of be a thumb in the eye to those who bought tickets for the original price right away.

Didn't stop Dream Theater discounting our £120 seats in advance to £50 on the door :tdwn

Pebsie, I hear ya and am with ya on the way fans with any dissenting opinions are treated (especially on the Neal FB forum page).  It's sad to see that the powers-that-be in Neal's social media world act like that, as a good guy like Neal deserves better representation than that, but it is what it is.

I'm surprised most by Geoff Bailie's comments on it as I believe he's one of Neal's closest friends and from what I've seen an all round great guy. I believe he was initially the one deleting any comments about the price from the Neal Morse page on Facebook. I guess it's frustrating to put so much work into an event and then having to do with a lot of negative views on how it's been setup but this is the audience. I get it. But I agree that I'd expect a more outwardly empathetic position taken.

I don't think Neal or Radiant are greedy, and I think they've priced this at a cost they think is appropriate. But it's still too high.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7178 on: November 14, 2023, 05:53:43 PM »
I'm surprised most by Geoff Bailie's comments on it as I believe he's one of Neal's closest friends and from what I've seen an all round great guy. I believe he was initially the one deleting any comments about the price from the Neal Morse page on Facebook. I guess it's frustrating to put so much work into an event and then having to do with a lot of negative views on how it's been setup but this is the audience. I get it. But I agree that I'd expect a more outwardly empathetic position taken.

I don't think Neal or Radiant are greedy, and I think they've priced this at a cost they think is appropriate. But it's still too high.

Some close to Neal (on that FB page) have said that Morsefest is all about Neal's faith and spreading the word (funny, I thought it was mostly about the music).  But wait, if that is true, then why are they charging so much money?  Don't get me wrong, I am happy to see Neal make fat stacks as he deserves it for the loads of great music he has given us over the years, but just don't spin us this religious "it's all about spreading the word and Neal's faith" nonsense, but that is a whole rabbit hole probably better saved for a different part of the forum. 

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7179 on: November 14, 2023, 06:00:47 PM »
I'm curious what Neal's overhead is on this European trip? Is the price so high because the production costs a lot?

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7180 on: November 15, 2023, 03:56:50 AM »
I estimate that there are about 20 or more musicians involved, considering the costs of their flights, meals, hotel accommodations, individual fees, production expenses, and fees for the lead musicians. Given these factors, the pricing seems fair and aligns with what it was in the US.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7181 on: November 15, 2023, 06:26:54 AM »
I will preface this by saying again that I have no problem with artists trying to make as much money as they can, but I think it's clear that once it became clear during the pandemic that fans would pay higher prices, Neal kept the jacked-up prices in place.  I still have my receipt from 2018 Morsefest, when it was $140 for both nights ($70 per night), and this was for regular seats with no VIP or anything. What a steal. Also, I remember that it was $125 for both nights in 2017 IIRC ($62.50 per night).  And he had just as many extra musicians and bells and whistles back then.  Again, if Neal can make more money off this, more power to him, but the above just seems to be the reality of the situation, and it does suck that some fans are priced out of going (and it really sucks that those who are upset about being priced out are shamed by those at certain places).

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #7182 on: November 15, 2023, 08:14:15 AM »
You continue to hear from tons of artists about the cost of touring post pandemic. Typically these artists are way more well known than Neal Morse. I've noticed that the cost of every concert I've gone to over the last couple of years is significantly higher than it was pre-pandemic. Hell, even Iron Maiden was about $30 per ticket for the upcoming tour than the 2022 tour.

People need to get over it and stop whining. Everything is more expensive than it used to be.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7183 on: November 15, 2023, 01:11:13 PM »
You continue to hear from tons of artists about the cost of touring post pandemic. Typically these artists are way more well known than Neal Morse. I've noticed that the cost of every concert I've gone to over the last couple of years is significantly higher than it was pre-pandemic. Hell, even Iron Maiden was about $30 per ticket for the upcoming tour than the 2022 tour.

People need to get over it and stop whining. Everything is more expensive than it used to be.

The bolded is exactly what some of us are talking about.  I am sure everyone gets everything else you said, but this "get over it, stop crying" attitude towards those who are understandably frustrated about being priced out of shows they'd love to attend is very unkind.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #7184 on: November 15, 2023, 05:25:56 PM »
It's not unkind, it's reality. I don't get to do everything I want because I can't afford to. Sometimes I have to make hard choices and/or sacrifice something if a thing is important enough for me to spend my hard earned cash.

Plus this is Neal Morse, not Metallica or some other A list band. I can't even imagine the logistics and cost for a band of Neals status to pull off a European tour.

Most everything in life is a choice.  If people really wanted to go they'd find a way. This entitled attitude of the world to expect everything is ridiculous.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7185 on: November 15, 2023, 08:42:22 PM »
It's not unkind, it's reality. I don't get to do everything I want because I can't afford to. Sometimes I have to make hard choices and/or sacrifice something if a thing is important enough for me to spend my hard earned cash.

Plus this is Neal Morse, not Metallica or some other A list band. I can't even imagine the logistics and cost for a band of Neals status to pull off a European tour.

Most everything in life is a choice.  If people really wanted to go they'd find a way. This entitled attitude of the world to expect everything is ridiculous.

Wow, this reads just like something you'd see on that Neal Morse fan page on FB.  Your empathy for those who cannot afford to spend everything they have to see a concert they want to see seems to be nil, so I will tap out of this back and forth.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #7186 on: November 16, 2023, 05:08:57 PM »

Who does get to do everything?

The reality is making these hard choices is a recent development. The choices were much more easy to make in the not too distant past. So why is that? What changed?

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #7187 on: November 16, 2023, 07:54:36 PM »
Have you been to a grocery store in the last 12 months? EVERYTHING is more expensive.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7188 on: November 16, 2023, 08:19:27 PM »
Have you been to a grocery store in the last 12 months? EVERYTHING is more expensive.

But you said that if you love something, you'll find a way to go (or buy it, to view this on a more macro level), so expensive prices on anything should never be a hindrance, right? 

That super awesome house you want to buy...it is wildly expensive and way out of your price range, but if you really love it, you'll find a way to buy it, right?

Offline Pebsie

« Reply #7189 on: November 17, 2023, 03:50:30 AM »

You misunderstand the point of mentioning the pricing. It is not selling well. At all. And that could easily be misinterpeted as the demand not being there, which couldn't be further from the truth. The problem is that it is too expensive for people and there are a number of factors that contribute to that in a way that specifically reflects the British economy at this point in history. If we don't point that out and be specific about it then we may see Neal's actions over here limited.

If it was 20-25% less expensive, I don't think anyone would care.

If people really wanted to go they'd find a way.

You can't simultaenously say "you can't do everything you want" and then essentially say "I can't imagine a person to whom £200-£500 is enough money that they can't just plan around it". I'm glad you can't imagine being in that position. But that's reality for the vast majority of the country.

Why don't homeless people just buy a house?? If they really wanted a house they'd find a way to get one.

Offline Pebsie

« Reply #7190 on: November 17, 2023, 05:39:34 AM »
BTW, in spite of all I've said here I will be attending  ;D I can make it work. It's not my fight. I just don't want Neal and Co to get the wrong message.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7191 on: November 17, 2023, 05:53:27 AM »
I just took a glance. I would say well over half of the tickets are still available for the London Morsefest. I suspect there are variety of factors as to why, but I suspect the high ticket prices has to be one of them.  The location probably doesn't help either.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7192 on: November 20, 2023, 01:58:46 PM »
Some nice deals

Offline emtee

« Reply #7193 on: November 20, 2023, 02:03:59 PM »
May I ask a favor; can you please post a direct link to the page where these are for sale?

Thanks

Offline HOF

« Reply #7194 on: November 20, 2023, 02:11:04 PM »
May I ask a favor; can you please post a direct link to the page where these are for sale?

Thanks

Don’t think there is a page until Friday (Black Friday sale). This is just a promo for it.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7195 on: November 20, 2023, 02:14:15 PM »

Thanks

Here's the link, the sale is ongoing, so move fast!

https://nealmorse.com/product-category/black-friday/

Offline HOF

« Reply #7196 on: November 20, 2023, 02:21:30 PM »

Thanks

Oh, huh. Not so much of a Black Friday sale I guess!

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7197 on: November 20, 2023, 02:27:03 PM »

Thanks

Oh, huh. Not so much of a Black Friday sale I guess!

It's running from today until next Sunday

Offline emtee

« Reply #7198 on: November 20, 2023, 02:32:36 PM »

Thanks

Thank you my friend. Gonna fill in some holes.

Offline HOF

« Reply #7199 on: November 20, 2023, 02:33:08 PM »
Heh, McAfee won't let me open the link.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7200 on: November 20, 2023, 02:35:30 PM »

Thanks

My pleasure.

HOF, deactivate McAffee

Offline HOF

« Reply #7201 on: November 20, 2023, 02:46:32 PM »

Thanks

My pleasure.

HOF, deactivate McAffee

It actually has the whole site flagged, but I was able to get through.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #7202 on: November 20, 2023, 10:30:30 PM »
Sadly as always no discounts on the download versions and the shipping for the physical products is just killing it for me.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #7203 on: November 21, 2023, 11:20:10 AM »
I was looking forward to this, but was really only hoping for Morsefest 2020 to be on sale. Alas, it is not.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Pebsie

« Reply #7204 on: November 23, 2023, 08:21:33 AM »
-snip-
« Last Edit: November 30, 2023, 03:03:19 AM by Pebsie »

Offline HOF

« Reply #7205 on: December 02, 2023, 06:40:51 PM »
Neal is streaming a Christmas concert on his FB page right now.

https://9c0lv.r.a.d.sendibm1.com/mk/cl/f/sh/SMK1E8tHeG13GxFuXJncGmxTzxun/0TNsONth47gb

Currently playing “Don’t Worry, Be Happy” now, LOL.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7206 on: December 14, 2023, 10:15:00 AM »
NEAL MORSE - The Restoration – Joseph: Part Two

This one available for review

Offline The Letter M

ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline HOF

« Reply #7208 on: January 03, 2024, 10:37:56 AM »
Did a spot listen of Neal’s early work last night. One song from each of the first 6 Spock’s albums, the epic from his first solo album (A Whole Nother Trip), plus All of the Above (it got late or I would have done one from Bridge Across Forever). Was sort of listening with an ear towards “what does Neal bring to the prog genre that is unique?” I really think he had his own unique voice that isn’t just him regurgitating the classic prog acts. Yeah he occasionally will cite Yes or Genesis or Gentle Giant, but I think his piano/keyboard style is very different from prior prog keyboardists, as is his vocal style and the sort of singer/songwriter nature of even his more epic pieces. Then I think you pair him with Al’s really unique style of guitar playing/sound and you really had a whole new thing (even if it was very much inspired by those 70s bands).

I think as a solo artist he became more derivative of himself if anything, but that’s kind of a whole separate conversation.

Offline Pebsie

« Reply #7209 on: January 07, 2024, 09:11:52 AM »
Pretty big price drop for the remaining MF tickets. VIP is now £430, regular is £220 and there are single night tickets going for £110.