Author Topic: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread  (Read 549719 times)

Offline gzarruk

Re: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread
« Reply #7140 on: October 27, 2023, 07:44:05 PM »
I'm the opposite, I have zero interest in DMJ, but I enjoyed the Joseph album except for one song, the one with the classical choir.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline HOF

« Reply #7141 on: October 27, 2023, 07:53:32 PM »
I started on the first Joseph album this afternoon.  Got a couple of songs into it, and realized “life’s too short and there’s other stuff I’d rather spend my limited time on.” Maybe another time when I’m really bored I’ll give it a shot, but I guess I don’t feel like I need to try to like something just because it’s by an artist I admire.

I am excited for DMJ though.

Offline Willthescout7

« Reply #7142 on: October 27, 2023, 08:51:11 PM »
For those with more knowledge than me: I just finally was able to grab the special edition of ONE, and I'm trying to do the restored track listing. Wikipeidia doesn't list Back to the Garden in the restored track listing, and I don't recall it being played at Morsefest 2014. Do any of you know where it was supposed to be slotted in or if it even was supposed to be?

I'm planning on watching that performance again so we'll see if that helps me. I know where the other 2 outtakes go.

Online Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #7143 on: October 28, 2023, 03:38:30 AM »
I have scribbled a track order on the inside of the CD that has Back to the Garden after The Man's Gone (and before Nothing to Believe). I think Randy George said this was the original order back on the old Neal Morse forum. But I haven't found any other confirmation for this when I researched the original form of the album for my restoration project a couple of years ago. I was also hoping the Morsefest performance of the expanded album would clear this up, but they skipped the song entirely.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2023, 03:43:55 AM by Kyo »
"Freedom in the 21st Century means being incommunicado."

Offline Willthescout7

« Reply #7144 on: October 28, 2023, 04:46:29 AM »
I have scribbled a track order on the inside of the CD that has Back to the Garden after The Man's Gone (and before Nothing to Believe). I think Randy George said this was the original order back on the old Neal Morse forum. But I haven't found any other confirmation for this when I researched the original form of the album for my restoration project a couple of years ago. I was also hoping the Morsefest performance of the expanded album would clear this up, but they skipped the song entirely.

Thanks! I'm going to assume you are correct until someone proves me wrong!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #7145 on: October 28, 2023, 06:25:47 AM »

Thanks! I'm going to assume you are correct until someone proves me wrong!

I've always had it as track two, after the opener and before "The Man's Gone", per the Wiki article a LONG long time ago, with a reference to Randy posting it.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #7146 on: October 28, 2023, 06:47:49 AM »
Yeah, but that doesn't check out. The Man's Gone was part of an uninterrupted sequence that segued from The Creation to The Man's Gone (and then to the acoustic jam and the final The Man's Gone chorus that they moved to the end of The Separated Man) in the original demo that Neal released.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2023, 06:53:07 AM by Kyo »
"Freedom in the 21st Century means being incommunicado."

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #7147 on: October 28, 2023, 07:13:14 AM »
Yeah, but that doesn't check out. The Man's Gone was part of an uninterrupted sequence that segued from The Creation to The Man's Gone (and then to the acoustic jam and the final The Man's Gone chorus that they moved to the end of The Separated Man) in the original demo that Neal released.

A Google search for "Neal Morse One Restored" came up with a few sites who had "Back To The Garden" after "The Creation", presumably all copied from the same Wiki article before it was edited to remove the song from that track listing.

Edit - looking back in this thread, here's a post of mine from over a decade ago, with the restored tracklist copied from wiki.

Yeah, I was trying to figure out exactly where they'd go.  Do you have the track listing that shows where to insert them?  (and now that you mention it, which three are they?  I know King Jesus was originally part of the main story, and I assume Back To The Garden is another, but which of the other songs goes in there as well?)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_(Neal_Morse_album)#Restored_Tracklist

1.   "The Creation"     18:22
2.   "Back to the Garden"     4:26
3.   "The Man's Gone"     2:50
4.   "Nothing to Believe"     3:29
5.   "Author of Confusion"     9:30
6.   "The Separated Man"     17:58
7.   "Cradle to the Grave"     4:55
8.   "Help Me / The Spirit and the Flesh"     11:13
9.   "King Jesus"     4:48
10.   "Father of Forgiveness"     5:46
11.   "Reunion"     9:11

-Marc.

-Marc.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2023, 07:22:01 AM by The Letter M »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7148 on: October 28, 2023, 08:36:41 AM »
It was an OK song.  However, I'm not interested whatsoever in this project.

I hear that.  I think most would think of me as a diehard Neal fan, yet I have still not checked out the first Joseph album that came out a few months back.
Me too. I was saying I’d pick it up just to support Neal, but I haven’t yet and have ZERO interest in part 2. I have however already ordered the new DMJ album, and am really looking forward to that one!

Me too. That new song that came out a few weeks back is quite nice!  Granted, it's coming out at the wrong time of the year (their sound is very much spring/summer music for me), but it should still be a good record.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #7149 on: November 05, 2023, 05:55:12 PM »
 Now that MP is returning to Dream Theater,  I hope that doesn't have a negative impact on the NMB. I'm hoping for another album from them at some point.   
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline DTA

« Reply #7150 on: November 05, 2023, 09:06:42 PM »
I honestly see Mike stepping away from all non-DT projects now that he’s back. I do think he’s been burnt out with everything and it’s probably a relief to only have one main gig to attend to. Plus Neal even seems to be stepping away from it and slowing down overall. I’m sure sporadic live appearances may happen, but at this point, I don’t see any new projects or non-DT albums in the pipeline.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #7151 on: November 05, 2023, 09:25:25 PM »
I honestly see Mike stepping away from all non-DT projects now that he’s back. I do think he’s been burnt out with everything and it’s probably a relief to only have one main gig to attend to. Plus Neal even seems to be stepping away from it and slowing down overall. I’m sure sporadic live appearances may happen, but at this point, I don’t see any new projects or non-DT albums in the pipeline.

Slight agree - I do think Neal and the others will itch to do one more NMB album before all is said and done, so if it happens, it'll be after DT's first major album/tour cycle with MP.

Beyond that, I won't hold my breath for a 6th NMB album or a 4th Flying Colors album at this point. Too many of those members have other obligations or bands now so they may not be able to reconvene for any period of time, especially not for a tour if not an album.

-Marc.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #7152 on: November 06, 2023, 08:35:46 AM »

Slight agree - I do think Neal and the others will itch to do one more NMB album before all is said and done, so if it happens, it'll be after DT's first major album/tour cycle with MP.

Beyond that, I won't hold my breath for a 6th NMB album or a 4th Flying Colors album at this point. Too many of those members have other obligations or bands now so they may not be able to reconvene for any period of time, especially not for a tour if not an album.

-Marc.

I wasn't holding my breath even before the announcement; I've written this before:  I have nothing to base this on and I'm not acting as if it's true or anything, but I had a real vibe from Morsefest that this might be it for a while.  Not forever, but that Neal was interested in other things but the NMB at this point.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7153 on: November 06, 2023, 12:19:23 PM »
A buddy and I talked about this over the weekend, and we were in agreement that if NMB does end up never making another album, they went out on a helluva note with Beyond the Years being their last song.  :hat :hat

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #7154 on: November 06, 2023, 12:23:25 PM »
The song with the abrupt cut off ending?  Yeah that is a helluva note to go out on  :lol

I gave that song a listen a couple weeks ago for the first time in a while. I like it more than I did before, but I still it’s pretty weak as far as Neal epics go.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7155 on: November 06, 2023, 12:25:42 PM »
The abrupt cutoff does not bother me, because they could have done a slow fadeout with it instead; it's not like it leaves you hanging as if there was more great stuff to come.  I am still not overly wild about the instrumental section around the 21-minute mark or so (the one that begins with the bass solo), but the rest of the song is beyond (the years) amazing.  I think it's a top 5 Neal 20-minute plus epic (that remark is sure to make Eric's wife mad :lol).

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7156 on: November 06, 2023, 02:20:32 PM »
A buddy and I talked about this over the weekend, and we were in agreement that if NMB does end up never making another album, they went out on a helluva note with Beyond the Years being their last song.  :hat :hat

That whole album, frankly.  I think it's their best.

Offline Willthescout7

« Reply #7157 on: November 07, 2023, 03:36:08 AM »
If this is it for NMB, I can live with that since they gave us Similitude of a Dream and The Great Adventure. Both of those albums are simply incredible and a heck of a duo that any band would be envious of.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7158 on: November 07, 2023, 05:58:48 AM »

Yes sir, I am well aware of your stance on I&D. :biggrin: :coolio

Great album for sure, but I cannot take it over The Similitude of a Dream or The Grand Experiment, the former of which is one of the two or three most perfect concept albums ever, and the latter of which has three of the best songs Neal (or any band he has ever been part of, in case Eric's wife is reading this :P) has ever done (IMO).  :) :)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7159 on: November 07, 2023, 06:57:19 AM »

Great album for sure, but I cannot take it over The Similitude of a Dream or The Grand Experiment, the former of which is one of the two or three most perfect concept albums ever, and the latter of which has three of the best songs Neal (or any band he has ever been part of, in case Eric's wife is reading this :P) has ever done (IMO).  :) :)

Which songs on TGE?  Waterfall, Alive Again, for me, but what would be the third?  The Call?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7160 on: November 07, 2023, 07:10:25 AM »

Which songs on TGE?  Waterfall, Alive Again, for me, but what would be the third?  The Call?

Yes, indeed!  :tup :tup

Online OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #7161 on: November 07, 2023, 11:38:06 AM »
The Call is, for me, the quintessential NMB track. Absolutely mind-blowing album opener and concert closer.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7162 on: November 07, 2023, 12:33:27 PM »
The Call is, for me, the quintessential NMB track. Absolutely mind-blowing album opener and concert closer.
It was fantastic to see live.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7163 on: November 07, 2023, 12:38:03 PM »
Agreed.  The last two minutes of The Call is beyond ridiculous.  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline Kram

« Reply #7164 on: November 08, 2023, 10:25:11 AM »
All 4 releases are 5 Star++  But with a gun to my head, I'd go this way -

Similitude
I&D
The Grand Experiment
The Great Adventure

But again, they're all A++

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #7165 on: November 08, 2023, 10:49:50 AM »
I would give 3 of those 4 a five star rating.  I&D, not so much.  I'd probably rank it ahead of Lifeline in the overall discography, just because at least I can't recall anything on it that I actively dislike.  But what a highly forgettable, disappointing album, and I almost feel like it being a double disc set should earn it a penalty just for having such a high volume of forgettable, disappointing music. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #7166 on: November 08, 2023, 02:26:22 PM »
The Call might be my favorite solo Neal Morse track. Absolutely blew me away at the time and felt like a caliber of songwriting that I didn't think he was still capable of.

It has been fun reading folks' thoughts on NMB. I lost touch with a lot of this stuff post The Grand Experiment and haven't heard any of the other albums - I'm going to have to start doing some catch-up.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Trav86

« Reply #7167 on: November 08, 2023, 02:40:22 PM »
What I love so much about I&D is that it feels like they crafted their own sound as a band. Like it sounds a little more unique than just a Neal solo album.  Even more sharing of the lead vocals. And I think Eric and Bill’s writing and talents stand out more.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7168 on: November 08, 2023, 08:36:29 PM »
I swear, the "run, run, run, run, run, run away" section of I'm Not Afraid Part 2 is like younger cousin of the "run, baby, run" section from Neal's Seeds of Gold epic.  Both sound like they were made to be listened to on the highway with the pedal to the metal.  :metal :metal

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7169 on: November 09, 2023, 06:50:37 AM »
I swear, the "run, run, run, run, run, run away" section of I'm Not Afraid Part 2 is like younger cousin of the "run, baby, run" section from Neal's Seeds of Gold epic.  Both sound like they were made to be listened to on the highway with the pedal to the metal.  :metal :metal

Tastes, amirite?  I think the two epics on I&D are some of the best Neal has ever done.  I LOVE that part (though I love Seeds of Gold too, and I can't honestly say I saw the resemblance, but I'll go back and check it out). 

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #7170 on: November 09, 2023, 08:08:02 AM »
I swear, the "run, run, run, run, run, run away" section of I'm Not Afraid Part 2 is like younger cousin of the "run, baby, run" section from Neal's Seeds of Gold epic.  B

With the sheer amount of music Neal has created there are quite a few moments across his discography that share the same 'vibe' and sound....sometimes same arrangements and patterns. But it's pretty cool and expected honestly....just so much content created by the guy
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7171 on: November 09, 2023, 12:14:25 PM »
To be clear, it's not that I think the section from I'm Not Afraid Part 2 is a copycat of the part from Seeds of Gold; it just has a similar vibe for me. Maybe it's the RUN parts. :P

Offline Mladen

« Reply #7172 on: November 10, 2023, 01:53:24 AM »
The section in Seeds of gold is much more somber to my ears. The one in Not afraid part II is quite uplifting.

Offline Pebsie

« Reply #7173 on: November 13, 2023, 02:24:46 AM »
I swear, the "run, run, run, run, run, run away" section of I'm Not Afraid Part 2 is like younger cousin of the "run, baby, run" section from Neal's Seeds of Gold epic.  B

With the sheer amount of music Neal has created there are quite a few moments across his discography that share the same 'vibe' and sound....sometimes same arrangements and patterns. But it's pretty cool and expected honestly....just so much content created by the guy

He even made fun of it himself when playing So Many Roads at MorseFest.

I wish there was... wait, that's not right... I came to a place in my life...

Still on the fence about MorseFest UK. The announcement of Ross Jennings supporting has given it an extra push for me and with the conversation here around what the future holds for NMB live it really is a tough one. The conversation around the pricing has turned incredibly sour on various NM aligned online communities and I've had to leave the Facebook group. The lack of empathy and belief that those talking about the price are just moaning is astounding. It's all very frustrating.

My brother has this policy of asking "why" whenever I get involved in arguments like this, and I think this is one of the few times where I'd have a great answer for him: sales are poor and I don't want Neal and co to think that there isn't demand for the event over here. I want them to understand how different our economies are and that they've pitched this at a very high price at a time when our economy is at an historical low. If MorseFest in the US costs $600 where the average salary is $71k, then that's like charging $1100 here as the average salary is $40k.

Not only is the average salary lower but we also have considerably higher costs for fuel ($7.40 per gallon), gas (as in heating and cooking) and food when compared with the US. We have lower salaries, higher costs and as a result considerably less disposable income.

This needs to be made clear to the guys at Radiant so that they don't think the poor sales are lack of demand, just a misunderstanding of the market at this time in history.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7174 on: November 13, 2023, 06:08:36 AM »
If sales are poor would they sell some discounted tickets to fill the place up?