Author Topic: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread  (Read 547641 times)

Offline darkshade

Re: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread
« Reply #5565 on: July 19, 2021, 12:56:55 PM »
Am I mistaken, or is the new NMB album the 20th studio album of original material with Neal and MP?

Offline Kram

« Reply #5566 on: July 19, 2021, 01:36:22 PM »
I can't help but wonder if they are thinking long term with re-branding the Neal Morse Band as NMB, if there comes a scenario in a few years where Neal wants to step away (he will be 61 in a few weeks, after all) and Eric wants to take the reigns and lead the band going forward.  Would be easier to do with the NMB name instead of it being Neal Morse Band without Neal Morse.
That's an interesting theory. It's definitely being driven by something. But I can't imagine a world where Neal stops doing what he's doing until he literally drops dead. I think he loves it too much.

My suspicion is that it's because the entire band contributes to writing now, rather than just Neal. Personally, I think the rebranding is a bit silly, because who cares besides them? Plus they have to realize that no one - literally no one - is going to start referring to them as "In Em Bee".

This.  Neal loves music way too much to stop doing this anytime soon - if ever.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #5567 on: July 19, 2021, 02:18:14 PM »
Am I mistaken, or is the new NMB album the 20th studio album of original material with Neal and MP?

Let's see...
11 Prog albums with Neal and Mike (from Testimony to Sola Gratia)
5 albums with Transatlantic
3 albums with Flying Colors

I guess I&D is number 20, not counting the 3 cover albums, or the Proggy Christmas album.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online HOF

« Reply #5568 on: July 19, 2021, 02:23:57 PM »

Let's see...

I guess I&D is number 20, not counting the 3 cover albums, or the Proggy Christmas album.

-Marc.

11 prog albums? I guess that includes NMB, but I’m not sure I can even name all 11.

Just went through them in my head, and yeah I guess that’s right.

Testimony
One
?
Sola Scriptura
Testimony II
Lifeline
Momentum
Sola Gratia

Not sure that’s the right order. Plus 3 NMB albums with a 4th on the way.

Offline 425

« Reply #5569 on: July 19, 2021, 02:42:27 PM »
Lifeline before T2, but otherwise you have the order correct.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Cocopjojo

• Astral Traveler
« Reply #5570 on: July 19, 2021, 05:24:43 PM »
My suspicion is that it's because the entire band contributes to writing now, rather than just Neal. Personally, I think the rebranding is a bit silly, because who cares besides them? Plus they have to realize that no one - literally no one - is going to start referring to them as "In Em Bee".

In all seriousness, I really do think the best candidate for "who cares" is "Eric's wife."
Good point! :laugh:

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #5571 on: July 19, 2021, 05:36:31 PM »

Let's see...

-Marc.

11 prog albums? I guess that includes NMB, but I’m not sure I can even name all 11.

Just went through them in my head, and yeah I guess that’s right.

Testimony
One
?
Sola Scriptura
Testimony II
Lifeline
Momentum
Sola Gratia

Not sure that’s the right order. Plus 3 NMB albums with a 4th on the way.

Lifeline before T2, but otherwise you have the order correct.

That is correct. But yes, without the NMB albums, Neal and Mike have only collaborated on 8 NM solo albums, as you listed (not counting the Christmas or Cover albums).

Now, if you count every album/release that Mike and Neal have ever recorded, studio and live, original and covers, then I&D represents the 43* album released by the pair.

*I may be miscounting a bit here but I counted 10 Transatlantic, 6 Flying Colors, 2 Yellow Matter Custard, 3 Cover To Cover albums with MPG, A Proggy Christmas, and 20 Neal Morse Solo/Neal Morse Band albums (counting 11 studio, and numerous live albums from tours and Morsefests).

Someone feel free to double check my math on this one, but either way, over 40 releases from these two over the last 22 years is astounding. That's an average of about 2 a year!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5572 on: July 19, 2021, 07:51:21 PM »
I can't help but wonder if they are thinking long term with re-branding the Neal Morse Band as NMB, if there comes a scenario in a few years where Neal wants to step away (he will be 61 in a few weeks, after all) and Eric wants to take the reigns and lead the band going forward.  Would be easier to do with the NMB name instead of it being Neal Morse Band without Neal Morse.
That's an interesting theory. It's definitely being driven by something. But I can't imagine a world where Neal stops doing what he's doing until he literally drops dead. I think he loves it too much.

This.  Neal loves music way too much to stop doing this anytime soon - if ever.

I agree, but it is very possible that he may reach a point sooner rather than later where he doesn't want to be part of a full time band anymore that tours regularly.   

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #5573 on: July 20, 2021, 02:05:03 PM »
New single coming tomorrow (after midnight local time) - "Bird On A Wire" - with a music video later in the day.

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5574 on: July 20, 2021, 02:32:00 PM »
I can't get excited about their videos anymore, as they are always just the band playing and usually have those mediocre effects that their guy uses in practically all of them now, but looking forward to the tune.  :tup :tup

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5575 on: July 20, 2021, 05:50:55 PM »
Anyone know who did the artwork? Looks Hugh Syme-ish to me.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #5576 on: July 21, 2021, 06:19:18 AM »

The artwork was done by Thomas Ewerhard. But I agree, considering how random this artwork is, it could have been by Hugh Syme.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5577 on: July 21, 2021, 06:40:40 AM »
New song is very nice. That recurring keyboard lead that runs for much of the song is pretty bad ass.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5578 on: July 21, 2021, 08:49:45 AM »
OFFICIAL VIDEO:
Bird on a Wire
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bse9D2yhkwA

Offline 425

« Reply #5579 on: July 21, 2021, 09:01:17 AM »

The artwork was done by Thomas Ewerhard. But I agree, considering how random this artwork is, it could have been by Hugh Syme.

I mean, on the one hand it's random, on the other hand it's... exact? It certainly does depict a bird on a wire.

Edit: Okay, I slightly defended the last video, but this one is pretty goofy.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Kram

« Reply #5580 on: July 21, 2021, 01:27:19 PM »
Good song, if not maybe a little NMB by the numbers.  The instrumental section was cool.  Seems the new formula is for Neal to sing the versus and Eric take the Chorus (with maybe Bill taking the bridge) - and when they sing together, the harmonies and their voices blend quite well together.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #5581 on: July 21, 2021, 01:50:00 PM »

I mean, on the one hand it's random, on the other hand it's... exact? It certainly does depict a bird on a wire.

Sorry I didn't clarify, but I didn't just mean the cover for this single, but also the one for the album itself and the whole concept of the artwork.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline darkshade

« Reply #5582 on: July 21, 2021, 06:01:01 PM »
Not listening to the singles, so can't comment on them. Just bumping this thread.

Offline 425

« Reply #5583 on: July 21, 2021, 07:04:15 PM »

Sorry I didn't clarify, but I didn't just mean the cover for this single, but also the one for the album itself and the whole concept of the artwork.

I hear you there.

I realize I commented on the video but not the song itself. I think the song is pretty good. Neal's voice sounds stronger on this one than on the first one. Some good bass stuff from Randy. Eric was Eric. Really the only downside is, yeah, it's a little by-the-numbers, and there's a little keyboard part at about 6:44 that I feel like I've heard about a half dozen times from Neal.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5584 on: July 21, 2021, 07:43:58 PM »

Not just goofy, but looks cheap.  The effects at times look like a film made on a shoestring budget.  I guess that is the look they are going for, and I suppose a bad video is better than no video for the purposes of promotion, but it is a shame that an artist (Neal Morse) and band (Neal Morse Band) can make music that is so high quality and then have videos that are so not high quality (to be nice).

Offline 425

« Reply #5585 on: July 21, 2021, 08:06:38 PM »
I get that it would be more boring, but I really think a video of them playing the song in a studio with no effects would be a significant improvement over seeing an image of mountains flying randomly past their heads while their stand with their feet simultaneously in front of and behind two-dimensional rocks. If this is all they have the budget to do, I wish they'd just do something simple and real. Actually, I bet they could come up with something cool by intercutting shots of them playing in a studio and the sort of animation that was used in the Welcome to the World lyric video.

Also, I'm not super comfortable with Neal staring into my soul while miming "pigeons on a telephone line."
And if spirit's a sign,

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #5586 on: July 21, 2021, 10:59:38 PM »
Man…..I can’t believe I’m saying this but…..these first two releases have done nothing to make me look forward to this release. Zero. Very bland and paint by numbers. If this is what we get when Randy and Bill bring the ‘ideas’ then please give me back the process when Neal was bringing the inspiration.

The instrumental break was the best part of the song and even that was pretty tame. Eric’s guitar during that stretch was killer but everything else I’ve heard in fifteen other songs by Neal.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #5587 on: July 22, 2021, 04:35:58 AM »
I’ve enjoyed the two singles well enough.  Not amazing or anything but enjoyable nonetheless.  This song actually has the perfect use of Bill on vocals, just a short high pitched section where he doesn’t outstay his welcome.  Used sparingly like this, his voice does add something to the mix.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5588 on: July 22, 2021, 06:19:29 AM »
Man…..I can’t believe I’m saying this but…..these first two releases have done nothing to make me look forward to this release. Zero. Very bland and paint by numbers. If this is what we get when Randy and Bill bring the ‘ideas’ then please give me back the process when Neal was bringing the inspiration.

The instrumental break was the best part of the song and even that was pretty tame. Eric’s guitar during that stretch was killer but everything else I’ve heard in fifteen other songs by Neal.

Still plenty more to come, but I remember Randy saying that this new album was going to be very different for them, so I assume those songs are still to come since these first two songs, both of which I like quite a bit after two listens each (will not listen to either again until the whole album is out), sound like standard NMB fare.

Regarding the instrumental break, assuming that what we see in the video is correct, I thought it was interesting that Neal took the keyboard solos instead of letting Bill do them, considering the rest of the song was Neal on guitar and Bill on keys, although sometimes things are presented a certain way in videos for the visual aspect.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #5589 on: July 22, 2021, 09:37:36 AM »
Still plenty more to come, but I remember Randy saying that this new album was going to be very different for them, so I assume those songs are still to come since these first two songs, both of which I like quite a bit after two listens each (will not listen to either again until the whole album is out), sound like standard NMB fare.

I do need to remind myself to be patient and wait for the entire album. Concept or not, Neal's songs always seem 'that' much better when listened to in context with the remainder of the album. I've only given the two releases a spin or two mainly because they just don't grab me and seem pretty tame to me. Perhaps when I hear them framed in the context of the whole album they'll mature more for me.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #5590 on: July 22, 2021, 12:09:32 PM »
This song actually has the perfect use of Bill on vocals, just a short high pitched section where he doesn’t outstay his welcome.  Used sparingly like this, his voice does add something to the mix.
Yeah I think Bill needs to step away from the microphone a bit more on the live releases. He's ok in small doses and is good for harmonies, but why put him on lead vocals when Eric and Neal are much more easy on the ears tonewise..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Cocopjojo

• Astral Traveler
« Reply #5591 on: July 23, 2021, 12:30:35 AM »
This song actually has the perfect use of Bill on vocals, just a short high pitched section where he doesn’t outstay his welcome.  Used sparingly like this, his voice does add something to the mix.
Yeah I think Bill needs to step away from the microphone a bit more on the live releases. He's ok in small doses and is good for harmonies, but why put him on lead vocals when Eric and Neal are much more easy on the ears tonewise..
I understand this take. I personally feel about Bill's voice the same way I do about Geddy Lee's voice - it's not super normal sounding but something about it really does it for me. The more I hear him sing, the more I like it. His live version of MacArthur Park is killer, and not something that Neal or Eric or anyone else could have pulled off with that level of epic emotion (IMO).

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline darkshade

« Reply #5594 on: July 28, 2021, 03:57:45 PM »
I like how the progarchy link shows us a picture of NMB at the top, with Neal's head cut off  :lol

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #5595 on: July 28, 2021, 04:09:05 PM »
I like how the progarchy link shows us a picture of NMB at the top, with Neal's head cut off  :lol

Loads fine for me, Neal's head and all. Maybe your dial-up is running a bit slower than 56k today?  :lol

-Marc.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #5596 on: July 28, 2021, 04:13:47 PM »

Loads fine for me, Neal's head and all. Maybe your dial-up is running a bit slower than 56k today?  :lol

-Marc.

Loads just fine. Nothing to do with my internet speed. It's the site, they didn't position the picture low enough to not get his head above his nose cut off by the site's heading.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #5598 on: August 04, 2021, 06:54:49 PM »
I'm finally getting around to watching The Making Of Lifeline documentary from last month's Inner Circle release. Maybe this will give me some fresh insight into what is my least favorite Morse solo prog album.

great, GREAT album review:

https://www.sonicperspectives.com/album-reviews/neal-morse-band-innocence-danger/

Very good review. I skimmed most of the bottom half cuz I didn't want to read all the details about the epics, but the thing that interests me the most is that Scott says it's Neal's most secular album since SB, though I'd argue that Momentum was his most secular album since SB, and even TGE felt mostly secular. It's also funny that I'm watching the Making Of Lifeline (his most overtly Christian prog rock album, IMO) just a few weeks before what seems to be a very secular album coming out. At any rate, that review has me hyped to hear what NMB have in store!

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5599 on: August 04, 2021, 08:31:56 PM »
great, GREAT album review:

https://www.sonicperspectives.com/album-reviews/neal-morse-band-innocence-danger/

Of course it is a great review, it is written by someone who is all but a part of Neal's inner circle. :lol :lol

Not saying the album won't be great, but I'd rather see reviews from those who are a little more neutral and objective.